Which will be the bigger challenge to Phil Jackson? 1993-94 "Jordanless" Bulls or today's Lakers?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which year is the bigger challenge to Phil Jackson?
1993-94 Chicago Bulls
12%
 12%  [ 7 ]
2005-06 Lakers
87%
 87%  [ 51 ]
Total Votes : 58

Billy Thompson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Which will be the bigger challenge to Phil Jackson? 1993-94 "Jordanless" Bulls or today's Lakers?

PJ is often criticized for coaching teams with talent to burn. I've always countered this arguement by refering to the 1993-94 season after Jordan retired.

This was their almost "starless" roster:
http://www.basketballreference.com/teams/teamyear.htm?tm=CHI&lg=n&yr=1993

The "scrub" lineup of Pete Myers, BJ Armstrong, Pippen, Longley & company went on to an impressive 55-27 record and taking the New York Knicks to 7 games. If anyone wants to see one of the best pure triangle teams, watch some ESPN Classic footage against the Knicks that airs every now and then. The Bulls no longer had Jordan to hold the ball while other players spectated and were forced to rely on the triangle to generate open looks.

This year's Lakers are very similar. On paper, they may even have more talent. Kobe and Odom should be able to create their own shots, similar to Pippen and the rookie version of Kukoc. However, the defenders in Pippen, Grant, and Armstrong combined with their prior years together gives them a huge edge over this year's Lakers.

To me, this year's Lakers will be an even bigger challenge to the Zen Master.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
GM OF THE FUTURE
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject:

If Jackson can get that team to 55-27, I'm sure he can get this team to 50 wins, well see though, and a trade could help a lot.
CNR
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:

That Bulls team was far better defensively than this year's Lakers and, as you pointed, out was very well-versed in the triangle as most of that team had been running the offense for 5 years.

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he didn't exist." - Verbal Kint
Freakout
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:

This seasons team mainly due to the players not knowing the system. Odom, Mckie, Kwame, and Mihm are pretty much clueless about the system. I expect us to go through a lot of dry spells on offense to start the year until everyone learns the basics.
startrex
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject:

I think the bulls had everybody except jordan in that year. So, they lost the most significant weapon but then again Phil did not have to go from sratch in terms of getting his system executed. Pippen and Kukoc led the team back to playoffs without Jordan and eventually lost in ECF?

Meanwhile, this lakers have to begin with most starters who aren't familiar with the system.
GM OF THE FUTURE
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:56 am    Post subject:

Lakers can get Defense if they get Wright and Watson, and Kobe can help teach the Triangle, and that Bulls team didn't have Jordan and Lakers have kboe, so you have to take that into account.
Billy Thompson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject:

startrex wrote:
I think the bulls had everybody except jordan in that year. So, they lost the most significant weapon but then again Phil did not have to go from sratch in terms of getting his system executed. Pippen and Kukoc led the team back to playoffs without Jordan and eventually lost in ECF?

Meanwhile, this lakers have to begin with most starters who aren't familiar with the system.

I believe Pete Myers and Kukoc (rookie) were additions that logged significant minutes. Neither of them could've had prior expeience in the triangle.

However, your point is still valid. Today's Laker's only have George, Medevenko, and Bryant logging significant playing time in the triangle.

With the addition of a decent bigman or Vlade playing significant minutes, 45 wins is reasonable.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:05 am    Post subject:

That Bulls team was still very good defensively. This Lakers team has quite a few new additions and may or may not fit well together. Only time will tell.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject:

You also have to look at the level of competition at the time. I'm not saying one era is stronger than the next, but its just something to consider when judging.
Lutter
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:08 pm    Post subject:

Billy_Blanko wrote:
You also have to look at the level of competition at the time. I'm not saying one era is stronger than the next, but its just something to consider when judging.

The competition was at its peak. All the teams that made the playoffs in the EC in 93-94 won at least 45 games. There were 5 50+ win teams. The MJ-less Bulls were just a brilliantly coached team featuring a bunch of players who were in their primes. They played an excellent team game and PJ didn't really have a problem adjusting w/o MJ because it was still the same group returning from last year. He didn't have to teach 'em the triangle from scratch. He has a FAR bigger challenge with the current group of Lakers then he had with the Bulls.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Defenitely this season.

Already had won 3 rings with Pippen - hasn't even coached Odom a game yet.

Had HoGrant and several other established players who he knew.

This is Phil's biggest challenge. He has to completely re-build a triangle team around Kobe Bryant - who he doesn't even get along with as well as he did MJ.
The Mike
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 2:25 pm    Post subject:

The only real reason I see this team as more of a challenge with the 05-06 Lakers, is because at that time that Bulls team already knew how to win. Where as most of these Lakers players haven't had any real success consistantly in the NBA other than Kobe & George (maybe Mchike).
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:28 pm    Post subject:

Billy_Blanko wrote:

Competition? Last year and this year are considered the most "wide open" for a championship contender because all the major players have downgraded or major coaching chances and player movement.
Kobejustdunk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:05 pm    Post subject:

I choose 1993-1994 Chicago Bulls. The time they lose Jordan ,leaving Pippen alone to carry the team. Now , Phil had Kobe and Odom with him now.Look out Lakers,they are coming.
X56
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:48 pm    Post subject:

My guess is this year's team, simply from an expectations point of view. The bulls lost MJ and yet took the Knicks to 7 games. Lakers are coming from a lottery season, rehires PJ and is expected to turnaround the team's fortunes [especially from the fans].
VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:49 pm    Post subject:

2005-2006 Lakers
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
astrallionheart
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:59 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Lakers will waltz to the title this year 16-0
Ziggy
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:00 pm    Post subject:

GM OF THE FUTURE wrote:
If Jackson can get that team to 55-27, I'm sure he can get this team to 50 wins, well see though, and a trade could help a lot.

The difference is we are playing in the deepest Conference in the history of the NBA.

Phoenix
San Antonio
Denver
Dallas
Sacramento
Houston

^Those teams are all locks to get into the playoffs (in no particular order)

Lakers
Memphis
Seattle
Utah
Golden State
Clippers

^ Those teams will all be fighting for the remaining 2 spots.

Throw in the fact that this roster is younger and less experienced in the triangle. This current team is easily a bigger challenge than that Bulls team.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:08 pm    Post subject:

Phil's biggest challenge was babysitting Shaq.
Hawkins
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:17 pm    Post subject:

To be honest, I was one of those who thought Phil's legacy was lacking by never bringing a raw new team to top form. Phil has chosen to so this which has changed my opinion. Let's be honest, Phil has his work cut out for him in a media/fan pressure cooker winning franchise in the toughest media marhet in the US. Chicage never can be an equivalent of the LA market and Phil is no fool.

I expect Phil to get LAL into the playoffs this season (Kobe is the rock) and if he accomplishes a world championshup(s), he should be considered the best NBA coach ever bar none. He's still is a top tier coach nonetheless regardless of success or failure. By coming back he has put that criticism to bed.

He sticks around. The die is cast.
slavavov
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:

This team is definetely more of a challenge. We do have more talent on paper than that Bulls team, but little team chemistry since we pretty much have a whole new team. Only Kobe, George, and Slava remain from Phil's last tenure. Although Odom, Mihm, JJ, and a couple others played in the triangle late last year, that doesn't really count for much. And although I think Phil will make us better defensively, we probably won't be a good defensive team, but i think we can be an average defensive team, which would be a marked improvement.

However, that Bulls team was also a huge challenge. If you think outside the box, that team had very little talent outside of Pippen. There were also questions about Pippen's character and maturity and whether he could lead a team himself (remember when he sat out the final play vs. NY because it was for Kukoc instead of him?). Does anyone happen to remember the preseason predictions for that team once Jordan took his little sabbatical?

Remarkable that Phil got that team to win 55 games, only 2 wins sh of the year before when they threepeated. For all those PJ haters who say he simply rode the coattails of MJ, Pippen, Shaq and Kobe, look at what he did with that team and their obvious lack of overall talent. Makes me more optomistic that he can get 48-50 wins out of this team.

And if he takes this team and eventually wins a chamionship with it, then he becomes, bar none, THE greatest coach in NBA history. He took 2 teams and put them over the hump, now can he take a lottery team to the promised land?

Last edited by slavavov on Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:25 pm    Post subject:

its not even close - today's lakers are the bigger challange.

the bulls had a system, and players who knew the system for many years.
the lakers need to start from scratch - im not even sure we'll see the same triangle we saw with shaq.

and most important - the 93/4 eastern conf. was pathetic.
it will be much tougher to win in today's west.
uciyo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 1:36 am    Post subject:

its redemption time for the LAKERS this season...
Billy_Blanko
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2005 4:13 am    Post subject:

astrallionheart wrote:
Billy_Blanko wrote:

Competition? Last year and this year are considered the most "wide open" for a championship contender because all the major players have downgraded or major coaching chances and player movement.

and with ^^ that said, ^ this is true
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: