tabbed browsing oddity

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: tabbed browsing oddity

I use Firefox 3.0.5 on Mac 10.5.5 (but this occured on previous versions of Firefox and Mac OS as well).

In every other site I visit, if I hold down the command key while clicking on a link, it opens the link in a new tab on the browser (I have it set that way). And the same thing happens on LakersGround if I am going to an external link. However, if I am going to an internal link in LakersGround, it doesn't work. Instead, it opens up the new page in a new tab AND in the current tab.

This doesn't occur with any other Website I used.

Does anybody know why this occurs?
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject:

Does it do it on other phpBB sites?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Dec 28, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject:

That's an oddity of LG only methinks. It probably only happens when you click on threads in the Lounge or on another forum index page, right?

The thread title areas are coded strangely so that if you click anywhere in the box where the thread title is, it will load the thread. Even if you don't click on the actual text of the title. When you command-click (or ctrl-click in Windows) the click on the box is still registered, so it opens a new tab as well as loading the thread in the current tab.

I've been thinking about removing this behavior for a while now, but there's a balance to be struck because I'm certain at this point that a ton of LG users are used to the idea that if they click anywhere near a thread title, it will open up.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject:

Exick wrote:
That's an oddity of LG only methinks. It probably only happens when you click on threads in the Lounge or on another forum index page, right?

The thread title areas are coded strangely so that if you click anywhere in the box where the thread title is, it will load the thread. Even if you don't click on the actual text of the title. When you command-click (or ctrl-click in Windows) the click on the box is still registered, so it opens a new tab as well as loading the thread in the current tab.

I've been thinking about removing this behavior for a while now, but there's a balance to be struck because I'm certain at this point that a ton of LG users are used to the idea that if they click anywhere near a thread title, it will open up.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I believe that explains it. I'm surprised you haven't gotten more complaints about this from other people. I guess over time I got used to it, and deployed workarounds, but I was always curious why it happened only on LG and not on other sites.

Interesting explanation. I never even noticed the fact that clicking on the box (but outside the text) still opens the link. I always click on the link directly, even though I just learned I don't have to. I bet that everybody else always clicks on the link too and wouldn't even notice if you disabled it. But up to you.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Does it do it on other phpBB sites?

No. (And now I understand why, from Exick's explanation.)
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject:

markjay wrote:
I bet that everybody else always clicks on the link too and wouldn't even notice if you disabled it. But up to you.

You might be surprised. I've gotten so used to the behavior that I use it now myself.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Personally, I hate it.

Say there are five pages in a thread -- I always click on the "5" to get to the page with the new posts. If I miss, then it takes me to page 1, and when I go to page 5, I lose the gold box that indicates which posts are new.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:

LarryCoon wrote:
Personally, I hate it.

Say there are five pages in a thread -- I always click on the "5" to get to the page with the new posts. If I miss, then it takes me to page 1, and when I go to page 5, I lose the gold box that indicates which posts are new.

rollover posts are just as good as new ones...
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:41 pm    Post subject:

So's yesterday's newspaper.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: