Going to San Diego - suggestions?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:05 am    Post subject: Going to San Diego - suggestions?

Been there a few times, but i know there are some SD'ers in this forum.

Mainly going out for an early breakfast and then hitting up a bar to watch some 10am NFL games.. any suggestions?

Thanks!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:13 am    Post subject:

I assume you are going to be downtown? The wife and I did a recent trip to San Diego as a weekend getaway and were able to spend an entire day just walking about downtown. I go to San Diego all the time but that was my first time really exploring downtown.
A few things we did: went shopping at the Westfield mall, checked out Seaport Village, rented a 2 deuce coupe (2 seater adult sized trike) at the boardwalk and biked for an hour. Later in evening we hopped around Little Italy and then the Gas Lamp district.
Other things we didnt get a chance to do was the USS Midway museum and taking the Ferry to Coronado Island (heard there was a super cheap one somewhere).
As far as food Hodad's is worth a visit if you are in mood for a burger.

Also you can easily spend a half day at Balboa park alone exploring the different museums.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:21 am    Post subject:

If you live in LA, take the train out of Union station to get down there.
Don't bother driving.
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:44 am    Post subject:

Forget downtown, go hangout in Pacific Beach. TONS of options for bars to watch the football games at (just walk down Garnet Ave, every other storefront is a bar). Tons of great breakfast places as well. I'd recommend Kono's by Crystal Pier or The Broken Yolk on Lamont and Garnet. Plus, you're right next to some of the best beaches in SoCal. And if you want to go shopping, La Jolla is about 5 minutes away.

Note that I may be biased, however, seeing as I grew up there haha.
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:04 am    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
Forget downtown, go hangout in Pacific Beach. TONS of options for bars to watch the football games at (just walk down Garnet Ave, every other storefront is a bar). Tons of great breakfast places as well. I'd recommend Kono's by Crystal Pier or The Broken Yolk on Lamont and Garnet. Plus, you're right next to some of the best beaches in SoCal. And if you want to go shopping, La Jolla is about 5 minutes away.

Note that I may be biased, however, seeing as I grew up there haha.

All input is welcome

I'll definitely check this out!
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 9:38 am    Post subject:

I'll 2nd AY2043. Goto PB if you want a true San Diego experience. Hit up the Duck Dive on mission for breakfast (Unexpectedly Awesome food) and on Sunday's they serve bottomless Mimosas. Excellent Beach/San Diego atmosphere. Then a good spot for the NFL games is right up the road at Millers Field (also on Mission) or The Local PB right around the corner on Thomas. Both will be full of others watching the games in a lively atmosphere.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:00 am    Post subject:

Why do people prefer Los Angeles to San Diego?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Aussiesuede
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

Did you mean that the other way around? Because most folks seem to prefer San Diego to LA.
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:39 am    Post subject:

Aussiesuede wrote:
CandyCanes wrote:

Did you mean that the other way around? Because most folks seem to prefer San Diego to LA.

Oh, really? I thought I was in the minority there.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:53 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:

born in raised in LA but, both cities are beautiful and would take either one.
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Here are some restaurants and places that I have gone to whenever I visit San Diego and have enjoyed. I would say look on Yelp to check out these places before to get a general idea of the restaurant
Breakfast: Snooze AM Eatery, The Mission, Great Maple, The Cottage, Hash House
Lunch/Dinner: Lucha Libre, Phils BBQ, Lolitas, Hodad's
Dessert: Extraordinary Desserts
Places to Visit: Sunset Cliffs, Ocean Beach, Windansea Beach, Mount Soledad, La Jolla Cove
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:52 pm    Post subject:

onepinoyboy8 wrote:
Here are some restaurants and places that I have gone to whenever I visit San Diego and have enjoyed. I would say look on Yelp to check out these places before to get a general idea of the restaurant
Places to Visit: Sunset Cliffs, Ocean Beach, Windansea Beach, Mount Soledad, La Jolla Cove

Phil's is good but Jesus Christ that line is Like 50 people long 24/7. And I'm not even exaggerating lol
onepinoyboy8
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:14 pm    Post subject:

AY2043 wrote:
onepinoyboy8 wrote:

Phil's is good but Jesus Christ that line is Like 50 people long 24/7. And I'm not even exaggerating lol

As long as you don't go to the Phils next to the sports arena you should be fine. There's at least 3 other Phil's BBQ around the San Diego county
AY2043
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:27 pm    Post subject:

onepinoyboy8 wrote:
AY2043 wrote:
onepinoyboy8 wrote:

As long as you don't go to the Phils next to the sports arena you should be fine. There's at least 3 other Phil's BBQ around the San Diego county

Yeah, but the other ones are out in places you probably wouldn't be going to if you're just visiting SD. The 45 minute drive to Santee from Downtown is probably a no go.
LarryCoon
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:03 pm    Post subject:

onepinoyboy8 wrote:

Been to Hash House (a Go Go) and remember huge portions of reasonably good food.

If you visit San Diego and don't eat at Juniper & Ivy then it's a wasted trip. And I daresay, a wasted life.
the association
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:58 pm    Post subject:

All of these other breakfast joints can just bow-right-the-(bleep)-down to Claire's on Cedros in Solana Beach. Nobody runs breakfast like Claire's. Still the best ...

As for Phil's, as good as the El Toro is (and it's great), punt on that nonsense and procure some burgundy ti-tip / Cardiff crack from Seaside Market instead. You won't regret it.

And as for viewing the games, the suggestion(s) upstream re: PB are as good as any; maybe look into the Mission Beach area, too ...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject:

If you are a fan of seafood sandwiches Supernatural Sea to Sandwich is worth stopping by for a quick bite if you are passing through the area. Cant wait to go back and order another lobster roll with bacon, avocado, and truffle butter
marga86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject:

damn u guys are legit.

Thanks for the tips!!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: