Who is gonna be the primary backup to Lamar?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is gonna be Lamar's primary backup?
Devean George
38%
 38%  [ 38 ]
Jumaine Jones
39%
 39%  [ 39 ]
Luke Walton
23%
 23%  [ 23 ]
Total Votes : 100

AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Who is gonna be the primary backup to Lamar?

I say its george....
angel
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject:

It depends on who gets traded. JJ will get minutes, because everyone including Phil Jackson likes the energy he brings.
Panthera
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject:

J
J
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Devean until he gets injured.
B_Rabbit1212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 3:58 pm    Post subject:

Although many agree that JJ is a better player than DG, Phil likes players that he his familiar with, and DG has real triangle experience. So i think that George will be back up Lamar, but like uberzev said, thats until he gets hurt.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:12 pm    Post subject:

B_Rabbit1212 wrote:
Although many agree that JJ is a better player than DG, Phil likes players that he his familiar with, and DG has real triangle experience. So i think that George will be back up Lamar, but like uberzev said, thats until he gets hurt.

Who are the many that agree that JJ is better than Devean? Are they all members of the National Association of Blind People? Devean is superior in every facet, but 3 point shooting. He is more athletic, he is a better passer, he is by far the superior offensive rebounder, he understands the triangle.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 4:54 pm    Post subject:

I think it will start off as Devean George but end up as Jumaine Jones, because if DG's shot is not falling, he literally becomes worthless out there. Phil will appreciate what Jones brings, which is tough defense, boxing out, sweet shooting, hustle and he contributes whether or not he's scoring.

Jones will earn it away from DG.
LakerJam
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:10 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
B_Rabbit1212 wrote:

Who are the many that agree that JJ is better than Devean? Are they all members of the National Association of Blind People? Devean is superior in every facet, but 3 point shooting. He is more athletic, he is a better passer, he is by far the superior offensive rebounder, he understands the triangle.

You know, I prefer facts to speculation. Both guys have been in the league for 6 yrs. Here are the facts:

DG: 5.9 pts. / FG .39% / 3pt. FG: .347% / Rbds: 3.2 / Off Rbds .9 / Def Rbd: 2.3 / Stls: .67 / Blks: .30 / Assts: 1.0 / TOs: .8

JJ: 6.6 pts / FG: .434% / 3pt. FG: .353% / Rbds: 4.2 / Off Rbds: 1.2 / Def Rbd: 3.0 / Stls .62 / Blks: .30 / Assts: .9 / TOs: .81

As you can see, you're wrong. DG exceeds JJ by .02 in stls, by .01 in assists and by .01 in TOs. Other than that, JJ exceeds DG in the other categories, including offensive and defensive rebounding. I'll also point out that DG's stats are all under the triangle, while JJ put up even better stats than his career numbers listed above while playing within the triangle last season. Seems like JJ is more of a natural fit or more effective in the tri than DG.
AirKobe8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 5:23 pm    Post subject:

again, stats are misleading, athletiscism for example doesnt show on stats.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:47 pm    Post subject:

LakerJam wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
B_Rabbit1212 wrote:

You know, I prefer facts to speculation. Both guys have been in the league for 6 yrs. Here are the facts:

DG: 5.9 pts. / FG .39% / 3pt. FG: .347% / Rbds: 3.2 / Off Rbds .9 / Def Rbd: 2.3 / Stls: .67 / Blks: .30 / Assts: 1.0 / TOs: .8

JJ: 6.6 pts / FG: .434% / 3pt. FG: .353% / Rbds: 4.2 / Off Rbds: 1.2 / Def Rbd: 3.0 / Stls .62 / Blks: .30 / Assts: .9 / TOs: .81

As you can see, you're wrong. DG exceeds JJ by .02 in stls, by .01 in assists and by .01 in TOs. Other than that, JJ exceeds DG in the other categories, including offensive and defensive rebounding. I'll also point out that DG's stats are all under the triangle, while JJ put up even better stats than his career numbers listed above while playing within the triangle last season. Seems like JJ is more of a natural fit or more effective in the tri than DG.

JJ has played a lot more mpg than DG. If you want to compare stats, at least do so based on per48min figures.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject:

angel wrote:
It depends on who gets traded. JJ will get minutes, because everyone including Phil Jackson likes the energy he brings.

Phil does? I think Phil will more likely sit Jones more because he won't fit the system well. DG will likely be the first non-big off the bench. Phil likes playing "his" players, and Jones isn't one of them.
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:28 pm    Post subject:

Luuuuuuuuke.

I honestly feel JJ will either get traded or end up backing up Kwame. DG is more likely to back up Kobe.
kups
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 9:59 pm    Post subject:

JJ has shown to affect a game positively (rebounding, defense) even if his offensive game is not going. Also has been more durable than DG and seems like a perfect back-up/role player, can nail the open shot more consistently. JJ can also play some minutes at PF against smaller PFs and keep up with slashing guards like what he did to D. Wade on Christmas day. DG seems to be more athletic while JJ the smarter player.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2005 10:44 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
B_Rabbit1212 wrote:

Have you had a rather long courtship with Mary Jane?

Devean is inferior in every facet of the game. He is more athletic but he does not have the skills or the hoops IQ to take advantage. I understand the triangle better than DG. He has played in it but he is continually out of position.

He is a horible passer, his passes into the post generally make the post man lose his balance or his position. And his numbers are in the ball park with JJ only because almost his entire career has been playing with Fatso and Kobe.

When he plays this season,for the first time in his career, opposing SFs will care more about boxing him out and defending him rather than doubling on Kobe or Shaq. The only kind of 3pters DG is good at are the wide open ones cuased by Fatso collapsing the defense or Fatso passing out of a double team.

That is no longer the case. His handles are hideous, and he was recruited out of high school as a PG! He can't create his own shot. His only solid contribution is man on man defense IF he is perfectly healthy. But every time he walks to Mickey D's he sprains an ankle. Every other game he decides to commit a reaching foul every three minutes.He has the ability to play lock down defense. It happens from time to time.About as often as I win $5 on Super Lotto.

DG will start for a while if he is not traded. After a month or two when JJ gets comfortable with the TRi and PJ get comfortable with JJ then Jumaine will be the first swingman off the bench. JJ can board,play man on man defense, play team defense, and hit the J out to the are with relatively little daylight compared to DG.

Why is DG still on the team?
Great One
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 1:34 am    Post subject:

Darius Miles........
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:01 am    Post subject:

SoCalRebel wrote:
Luuuuuuuuke.

I honestly feel JJ will either get traded or end up backing up Kwame. DG is more likely to back up Kobe.

I was just reading along just long enough to see if anybody was on the same page as I was. Your going to see Devean in the backcourt a lot this season. Jones and, Devean on the floor at the same time is what your likely to see more often than not. If I have two assasins to hit on the perimeter, people I'm cookin with oil!! Allow Kobe and, Kwame to wreak havoc in the interior and, dare sagging to take place...
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:06 am    Post subject:

LA didn't give Luke an extension for him to sit on the bench as 3rd string.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
THE_SHOES
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 5:34 am    Post subject:

II Cleva wrote:
LA didn't give Luke an extension for him to sit on the bench as 3rd string.

I hate to tell you this Cleva but, depending on what happens early on Luke just may be the one at the 1 running things...
Sunhills'm I
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:18 am    Post subject:

Agree. I think there is a movement to include George in a trade but that may or not go down. If it does go down I can see JJ backing LO up and Luke could get minutes backing up Kobe...
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:

Chris,Lo,Andrew
Kwame,Brain,Slava
Lamar,Luke,Jj
Kobe,Devean,Von
Aaron,Smuch,Sasha

So I got Luuuuuuuuke
OCDLakerfan
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 7:58 am    Post subject:

I'm surprised there are not more votes for Luke Walton as he was re-signed for a reason and has the best passing skills of the three by far to serve as PJ's point forward similar to Lamar.
dwonderful
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:00 am    Post subject:

JJ
kixter
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 8:49 am    Post subject:

I still see DG being the first off the bench to play the SF for Odom, but does not mean that he will play more minues than JJ on the backup role...
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:

you guys are crazy
DG and walton are worthless. JJ is the only decent choice we have and was arguably the most efficient player we had all last season.
lakeshowhorizon.
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:11 am    Post subject:

Luuuuke...

Or atleast that's what i'm hoping...His contract spells more playing time...

I hope he will be one of the initiators on this team along with Odom and Mckie and whoever else can handle the duties of facilitating...His innate understanding of the game is an intriguing fit for the Triangle, as he tries rid himself of a lost season last year...

A more seasoned Luke Walton in a structured system and with hopefully a more effiecient shot is definitely not a bad thing to have on a basketball squad...

I believe in Luke "We would not have won Game 2 against the Pistons" Walton...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: