Best French Fries
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Omar Little

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 4:12 pm    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
TrueLies wrote:
McDonalds?

Too greasy. Too salty. Taste of the potato is entirely lost. You're essentially just tasting fried oil.

If you're concerned about grease and the taste of the potato, you probably shouldn't be frying them then

Fries are of course pretty subjective, and people fall on opposite sides of multiple standards:

Skin on vs. Skin off
Coated vs. Non Coated
Thick vs. Thin
Salty vs. not so salty
Crisp vs. Soft

Then there are variations on what oil was used to par fry them prior to freezing (or if they are fresh cut), and what they are fried with and how at the purchase location.

I tend to like a very thin, crispy fry, so McD's do it for me (provided you don't patronize one where they lightly apply fries to the salt). Being heavily involved in the business, and having spent a lot of time at french fry plants, I can tell you that their fries are the highest in terms of quality of anything on the mass market.

But if you like a bigger, "meatier" fry, they're definitely not for you.
Teamof2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:42 pm    Post subject:

^ yes, mcD's some of the best in the biz, no doubt.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 8:04 am    Post subject:

vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

Nice choice. Best "In-& Out substitute" I've seen from a chain restaurant. Great burger and fries.

Unfortunately I have to go with what I know... I never had In-&-Out. Hell, I just had Sonic for the first time last week (btw, not bad, not at all). The Northeast is very limited on franchises... you West Coast'r by far have a lot more choices (which is good and bad).

Five Guys burgers are great... and the amount of fries you get is insane... there is never a need to order a larger (which is a medium size brown paper bag full of fries). Their Cajun Fries are very good as well...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject:

Yard House's Fries are definitely the best i've ever had!
but at a fast food place, In & Outs are great!
yuz
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:12 pm    Post subject:

in-n-out ANIMAL STYLE FRIZZIES... i ruv their special sauce
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

Nice choice. Best "In-& Out substitute" I've seen from a chain restaurant. Great burger and fries.

Unfortunately I have to go with what I know... I never had In-&-Out. Hell, I just had Sonic for the first time last week (btw, not bad, not at all). The Northeast is very limited on franchises... you West Coast'r by far have a lot more choices (which is good and bad).

Five Guys burgers are great... and the amount of fries you get is insane... there is never a need to order a larger (which is a medium size brown paper bag full of fries). Their Cajun Fries are very good as well...

Which Sonic did you hit up?
TrueLies
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
ocho wrote:
TrueLies wrote:
McDonalds?

Too greasy. Too salty. Taste of the potato is entirely lost. You're essentially just tasting fried oil.

If you're concerned about grease and the taste of the potato, you probably shouldn't be frying them then

Fries are of course pretty subjective, and people fall on opposite sides of multiple standards:

Skin on vs. Skin off
Coated vs. Non Coated
Thick vs. Thin
Salty vs. not so salty
Crisp vs. Soft

Then there are variations on what oil was used to par fry them prior to freezing (or if they are fresh cut), and what they are fried with and how at the purchase location.

I tend to like a very thin, crispy fry, so McD's do it for me (provided you don't patronize one where they lightly apply fries to the salt). Being heavily involved in the business, and having spent a lot of time at french fry plants, I can tell you that their fries are the highest in terms of quality of anything on the mass market.

But if you like a bigger, "meatier" fry, they're definitely not for you.

i know right?
and the oil is the best part
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

They finally built one near me in NJ... actually the Sonic is in PA (right across the Delaware River)...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

Probably not the one you work at...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:47 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

They finally built one near me in NJ... actually the Sonic is in PA (right across the Delaware River)...

Oh! Ok, I thought you were in Cali.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:48 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

True. But my car-hopping days there are over.
shnjb
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:49 pm    Post subject:

Burger King?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:04 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

I'm not surprised. Customers probably hated it when you smushed their food, then told them it wasn't that deep and that they should get some rest...
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
TACH wrote:
vanexelent wrote:
TACH wrote:
Five Guys...

I'm not surprised. Customers probably hated it when you smushed their food, then told them it wasn't that deep and that they should get some rest...

But all because Phil knew best!
n9c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:42 am    Post subject:

BK fries, hands down
Manilathrilla121
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:11 pm    Post subject:

CARNITAS AND/OR CARNE ASADA FRIES FTW!!!!!!
The Lebrons
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject:

Chick-Fil-A's waffle fries and Arby's curly fries.
TheBattleOfLosAngeles
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject:

i hate the fries from In-n-Out. anyone who says they are the best needs to stay out of this thread.

in saying that, i usually like fries from Mom and Pop joints or any place that gives you that nice thick fry.

Tator Tots rule.

ps

am i the only one that likes Cold Fries? not ice cold, but fries that have been sitting for a while.
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject:

Steak and Hoagie. Order them extra crispy.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject:

TheBattleOfLosAngeles wrote:
i hate the fries from In-n-Out. anyone who says they are the best needs to stay out of this thread.

I don't see how disagreeing with your opinion should bar people from this thread. I hate thick-cut fries of most sorts, but that doesn't mean that's the end of the subject. It just means that's what I hate...
kontrast
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:36 pm    Post subject:

McDonalds are #1 for me...
Lakers For Life
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject:

There's this place on Catalina Island, don't remember the name, but they put this seasoning on the fries, so good you can't stop eating it even when you're full.
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject:

I remember when Magic Mountain had the bombest fries - seasoned salt and pipin' hot. Right there by the Colossus. Don't know if they still have them, this was back in the 80s and I haven't been there since 2005 and it was for a job picnic.
kobegiant24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 5:58 pm    Post subject:

Anyone live near La Puente or West Covina? Nogales Burgers has pretty bomb fries as well.
Capehorn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:26 pm    Post subject:

Freedom Fries?
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: