Trojans/Patriots. Has this ever happened before?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who will 3 peat?
Spurs
14%
 14%  [ 4 ]
Trojans
46%
 46%  [ 13 ]
Patriots
17%
 17%  [ 5 ]
All 3
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Trojans/Patriots. Has this ever happened before?

I've been thinking about this for a while but a recent article prompted me to post this. Both of the them are going for 3 peats in their respective sports, and both of them seem to be the favorite to win it all again.

Can both of them pull it off?, not likely, but only time will tell.

Last edited by SoCalRebel on Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
KobeButler
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject:

spurs only won 1 consecutive title so far.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 12:24 pm    Post subject:

Seeing how the Spurs and Trojans are on title #1 in a row, the odds are against these 3 teams each winning 3 titles in a row.
SoCalRebel
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:

Wow, sorry I totally forgot the Pistons won the title in '04. Feel free to lock this thread.
dirka dirka
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Seeing how the Spurs and Trojans are on title #1 in a row, the odds are against these 3 teams each winning 3 titles in a row.

err except the Trojans have indeed won 2 AP titles in a row...so you are wrong.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject:

dirka dirka wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Only the BCS title is worth anything because it is won on the field.
Zhengi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2005 10:24 pm    Post subject:

Where's the option for none?
Longhorn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 9:29 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Neither title is won on the field, both were mythical. Imagine having the media determine the NBA Finals, would not be so hot then no?

USC is a great team but the Horns are going to end up undefeated
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject:

Longhorn wrote:
NestT wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Neither title is won on the field, both were mythical. Imagine having the media determine the NBA Finals, would not be so hot then no?

That was my point. Both titles are mythical. Hence the bold and smiley.

IF Texas gets by both Ohio State and Oklahoma the Longhorns will get (bleep) in the Rose Bowl.

Mack Brown is a great used car salesman and gets most of the great athletes in Texas to Austin.

But he can not X & O his way out of a paper bag.

If Pete has a month to scheme against Mack it will be the same result Pete had against Bob.
Sunset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2005 6:34 pm    Post subject:

USC already has 2 national championships. I do think their momentum, mystique and reputation give them a good shot at a 3rd title. Even without Norm Chow, it appears they have enough momentum to keep them in top form for this year anyway. Plus, their recruiting is what has given them the edge, probably for at least a couple more years. In the meantime, other teams are retooling. It's always a cycle.

Whatever claim LSU had to a shared title -- only USC haters still try to push that garbage. It's obvious LSU was a fluke. USC has proven who the real champion was and how screwey the BCS was that season.
Longhorn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:01 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
Longhorn wrote:
NestT wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

IF Texas gets by both Ohio State and Oklahoma the Longhorns will get (bleep) in the Rose Bowl.

Mack Brown is a great used car salesman and gets most of the great athletes in Texas to Austin.

If Pete has a month to scheme against Mack it will be the same result Pete had against Bob.

Well you certainly are bag of cliches, if Texas does beat both teams mentioned it is USC that will be in trouble because frankly they have a lot to prove on offense, well the new OC has a lot to prove on offense, the rest of the Pac-10 is as bad defensively as ever.

If you had Norm Chow then sure...

BTW Bob is an average coach with a flash in the pan season, been saying so for years, he just coaches his season around one game to my detriment, production dropoffs are evidence of this.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:24 am    Post subject:

Longhorn wrote:
NestT wrote:
Longhorn wrote:
NestT wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Well you certainly are bag of cliches, if Texas does beat both teams mentioned it is USC that will be in trouble because frankly they have a lot to prove on offense, well the new OC has a lot to prove on offense, the rest of the Pac-10 is as bad defensively as ever.

If you had Norm Chow then sure...

BTW Bob is an average coach with a flash in the pan season, been saying so for years, he just coaches his season around one game to my detriment, production dropoffs are evidence of this.

The offense has a lot to prove?

Have you had a rather long courtship with Mary Jane.

Every starter on offense will be playing on Sundays.

Matt,Reggie,and Lendale will be drafted in the top 10. I could call the plays to a National chapionship.

I would rather have an unknown OC than a proven bonehead in Mack Brown. Six straight loses to OU! with the talent he has at Texas. The playbook at Texas seems to consist of five pass plays and five running plays. Any DC that has anywhere near the talent to matchup to Texas will stop the Longhorn offense.

The Pac !0 is as bad defensively as ever? Talk about a bad cliches.

This is not the late 90's. USC is not the Bruins of Cade McNown and DeShaun Forrester. Have you seen Pac 10/Trojan football in the last five years?

The team your Longhorns can't get past?

We kicked there ass back to Oklahoma by 5 touchdowns.
Longhorn
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Every starter on offense will be playing on Sundays.

Matt,Reggie,and Lendale will be drafted in the top 10. I could call the plays to a National chapionship.

I was specific in pointing out your OC has a lot to prove, that said you are contradicting yourself since one the one hand dismiss the need for coaching if talent is good enough, and on the other attack Mack Brown for your percieved lack of coaching with talent.

BTW on paper our offense is every bit as good talent wise, we have the best OL in CFB (that is almost it right there), great RBs and TE, decent WR and the best QB, Vincent Young defines clutch just like Kobe.

Quote:

I would rather have an unknown OC than a proven bonehead in Mack Brown. Six straight loses to OU! with the talent he has at Texas. The playbook at Texas seems to consist of five pass plays and five running plays.

Interesting you bash Mack Brown for the offensive playbook? do you even know the name of our OC? He is maligned by the fanbase BTW, some think he is the worst OC in CFB but I think he is average, but doing better, since mid last year he has called great games and I am hopefull that will carry over for saturday.

Quote:

The Pac !0 is as bad defensively as ever? Talk about a bad cliches.

This is not the late 90's. USC is not the Bruins of Cade McNown and DeShaun Forrester. Have you seen Pac 10/Trojan football in the last five years?

REST of the Pac-10, I don't see where in your schedule you play the USC Trojans.

Quote:

The team your Longhorns can't get past?

We kicked there ass back to Oklahoma by 5 touchdowns.

Transitive logic does not apply to CFB or sports or heck anywhere, 2-3 years ago the last team to soundly defeat your team was beaten by the Longhorns at their place, that does not mean that the Horns would have beaten the Trojans in 02-03, that game might have been ugly for us.
LABigBoi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Do I really need to say?
DarthRekal
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:13 pm    Post subject:

KobeButler wrote:

EVER!... let's keep it that way a string of one hit wonders
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 4:06 pm    Post subject:

Longhorn wrote:

I was specific in pointing out your OC has a lot to prove, that said you are contradicting yourself since one the one hand dismiss the need for coaching if talent is good enough, and on the other attack Mack Brown for your percieved lack of coaching with talent.

BTW on paper our offense is every bit as good talent wise, we have the best OL in CFB (that is almost it right there), great RBs and TE, decent WR and the best QB, Vincent Young defines clutch just like Kobe.

Interesting you bash Mack Brown for the offensive playbook? do you even know the name of our OC? He is maligned by the fanbase BTW, some think he is the worst OC in CFB but I think he is average, but doing better, since mid last year he has called great games and I am hopefull that will carry over for saturday.

REST of the Pac-10, I don't see where in your schedule you play the USC Trojans.

Transitive logic does not apply to CFB or sports or heck anywhere, 2-3 years ago the last team to soundly defeat your team was beaten by the Longhorns at their place, that does not mean that the Horns would have beaten the Trojans in 02-03, that game might have been ugly for us.

1) It takes real coaching ability to devise,teach,and implement a National
Championship caliber offense. Lane Kiffin is not being asked to do that. He is running the same Norm Chow/BYU now USC offense.

I am sure he will add his own wrinkles but he is not putting an entire playbook together.

Matt is a 5th year senior who knows that offense like the back of his hand. In large part he will be calling the plays. The offense is largely on auto-pilot this year. Lane's make or break moment will come next year. When he has to to teach and implement the offense with largely inexperienced players. Lane and Steve Sarkisian's big moment will be when John David Booty starts next year.

Will he be in the Carson and Matt Heisman mode. We shall see.

Mack Brown runs a simpletonian offense that depends on overwhelming the oppositon with talent. That is why he has only one big win against the very best teams in the last 5 years or so. When he plays mediocre teams ,they win. When he plays the very best he loses the vast majority of the time. And that top rated team Mack did beat was not that great compared to other Top 5 teams.

I am not contradicting myself with regards to coaching.

2) Talent.Matt Leinhart is a superior QB to Young, not a superior athlete, but a superior QB and he will prove it if you are lucky enough to get to Pasadena.That is why he won the Heisman. One win against an overrated Wolverines does not Kobe make. And the Wolverines are always overrated. One of the darlings of the national media.

Bush is a once in a generation talent. Texas has very good rb's but nothing like The President.

3)The defense at the Pac 10 is just as good,on average, as that of the big twelve. I am sure Matt Leinhart has cold sweats thinking of the Baylor and Kansas defenses.If sportswriters and ap voters don't stay up past 10 pm est that is there failure not that of the Pac 10.

4) Transitive logic. The best aproximate to this years Texas team was last years. Same for the Trojans. One got beaton and one put on a beat down.
That is better that just idle speculation. Does not prove anything. Did not say it proved it. But it is a good indicator. Sure, Young and the rest of the Longhorns can improve dramatically. Texas may have impact Freshman.
Mack Brown can take out a loan and buy a clue on how to win a national championship. Don't bet the ranch on it .
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 6:42 am    Post subject:

Zhengi wrote:
Where's the option for none?

one :bling: at a time...
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:23 am    Post subject:

NestT wrote:
Longhorn wrote:

1) It takes real coaching ability to devise,teach,and implement a National
Championship caliber offense. Lane Kiffin is not being asked to do that. He is running the same Norm Chow/BYU now USC offense.

I am sure he will add his own wrinkles but he is not putting an entire playbook together.

Matt is a 5th year senior who knows that offense like the back of his hand. In large part he will be calling the plays. The offense is largely on auto-pilot this year. Lane's make or break moment will come next year. When he has to to teach and implement the offense with largely inexperienced players. Lane and Steve Sarkisian's big moment will be when John David Booty starts next year.

Will he be in the Carson and Matt Heisman mode. We shall see.

Mack Brown runs a simpletonian offense that depends on overwhelming the oppositon with talent. That is why he has only one big win against the very best teams in the last 5 years or so. When he plays mediocre teams ,they win. When he plays the very best he loses the vast majority of the time. And that top rated team Mack did beat was not that great compared to other Top 5 teams.

I am not contradicting myself with regards to coaching.

2) Talent.Matt Leinhart is a superior QB to Young, not a superior athlete, but a superior QB and he will prove it if you are lucky enough to get to Pasadena.That is why he won the Heisman. One win against an overrated Wolverines does not Kobe make. And the Wolverines are always overrated. One of the darlings of the national media.

Bush is a once in a generation talent. Texas has very good rb's but nothing like The President.

3)The defense at the Pac 10 is just as good,on average, as that of the big twelve. I am sure Matt Leinhart has cold sweats thinking of the Baylor and Kansas defenses.If sportswriters and ap voters don't stay up past 10 pm est that is there failure not that of the Pac 10.

4) Transitive logic. The best aproximate to this years Texas team was last years. Same for the Trojans. One got beaton and one put on a beat down.
That is better that just idle speculation. Does not prove anything. Did not say it proved it. But it is a good indicator. Sure, Young and the rest of the Longhorns can improve dramatically. Texas may have impact Freshman.
Mack Brown can take out a loan and buy a clue on how to win a national championship. Don't bet the ranch on it .

You're right on here, NesT. Longhorn has no history to back up Texas, but USC has 2 national titles. As far as the red herring arguments about the Pac 10 conference, USC beat Michigan AND Oklahoma AND Iowa in all of their national titles. USC beat them all with ease. Texas has a very easy schedule compared to USC's. It's all just jealousy on other teams parts. Their arguments just don't hold water.
C-BUS LAKERFAN
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 2:47 pm    Post subject:

Longhorn wrote:
NestT wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Nope you are losing this Saturday to Ohio State.
Sunset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 7:13 pm    Post subject:

C-BUS LAKERFAN wrote:
Longhorn wrote:
NestT wrote:
dirka dirka wrote:
Lakers_2000 wrote:

Nope you are losing this Saturday to Ohio State.

I agree with you. This reminds me of the hype about Auburn 2 or 3 years ago. Before the season started, they were rated in the top 5 -- for no apparent reason (okay, Cadillac or whoever that guy was...) USC beat them right out of the gate, and USC still didn't get respect almost that whole season. That's the season Carson Palmer won the Heisman.

It's always some locally over-hyped team (like Texas now) with some phony claim to fame -- all without playing the games on the field. Auburn was so embarassed at having been dealt a humiliating defeat by USC in their opening game, I hope that Texas doesn't really believe everything their local writers say about them. Auburn did, to their detriment and the preseason hype about Auburn turned out to be garbage.
Lakers_2000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 10:18 pm    Post subject:

Sunset wrote:
USC already has 2 national championships. I do think their momentum, mystique and reputation give them a good shot at a 3rd title. Even without Norm Chow, it appears they have enough momentum to keep them in top form for this year anyway. Plus, their recruiting is what has given them the edge, probably for at least a couple more years. In the meantime, other teams are retooling. It's always a cycle.

Whatever claim LSU had to a shared title -- only USC haters still try to push that garbage. It's obvious LSU was a fluke. USC has proven who the real champion was and how screwey the BCS was that season.

LSU won their title on the field. That's the only one that matters.
NestT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:54 pm    Post subject:

Lakers_2000 wrote:
Sunset wrote:

LSU won their title on the field. That's the only one that matters.

ALL NCAAF Titles are MYTHICAL.

Until there is at least an eight team playoff there will only be mythical titles.

The BCS title game is the Mythical #1 vs Mythical #2

AP Title is just as valid as BCS/USA Today Title
FredG
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject:

U$C has 1.5 titles in a row
Sunset
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject:

FredG wrote:
U$C has 1.5 titles in a row

USC has 2 solid titles in a row. The BCS made a mistake with LSU that year for business purposes, not to mention that the BCS is only a legitimate title if it's won along with the AP title. Notice that no one even mentions LSU now. They have gone nowhere, which just confirms the business mistake that the BCS made with handling LSU. Good luck to USC in winning a 3rd straight title.
ajaxxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2005 6:46 am    Post subject:

SoCalRebel wrote:
KobeButler wrote:

Wow, sorry I totally forgot the Pistons won the title in '04. Feel free to lock this thread.

It's ok I think the whole world forgets that the pistons won the title in '04
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: