DailyNews: Shaq in L.A. again? Lakers' Jackson would be OK with that
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:25 pm    Post subject:

targetman wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
lakerfin wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
scotter wrote:
I couldn't imagine Kobe agreeing to it (and yes, he has a say - contract time is approaching) until he has a title of his own without Shaq. Dude has a lot of pride, and will not let anybody hold that title discrepancy over his head, especially by the Big Donut.

If that is the case, then my respect for Kobe would drop a couple of notches. Supposedly he is all about winning, but an attitude like that would indicate the opposite.

What respect? Now that's funny. At least LG's still entertaining.

Oh great, another asinine comment from the uneducated.

Can we get a mod on this guy who is insulting posters? Oh wait...

No kidding. The Perverse Irony klaaxon is ringing at an extremely high pitch.

SGH
RealityCheck
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:33 pm    Post subject:

Before the Lakers would make any major roster move, I believe Kobe would be included in the discussion. Kobe would object [with probably JBuse objecting even louder], and the Lakers would say "No" to any deal.

In watching the post All-Star game interviews, Kobe tactfully stated how good the reunion had been, and yes it time to continue moving forward.
Heartburn
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure why anyone would consider making a move for Shaq by using our present assets as trading pieces. Why ruin what this team has built in the last season and a half just for some nostalgia - not even taking into account the warts we would have to deal with in Shaq.

If Shaq wants to be a Laker, he'll have to wait until his contract is up before I would start the discussion, which discussion will have 10,000 strings attached to it.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:38 pm    Post subject:

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
targetman wrote:

SGH

Keep in mind that JD was allowed to "moderate" for a long time. VLF is mild compared to that debacle. At least VLF doesn't instantly band anyone who disagrees.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
targetman wrote:

SGH

Keep in mind that JD was allowed to "moderate" for a long time. VLF is mild compared to that debacle. At least VLF doesn't instantly band anyone who disagrees.

Uh, no comment.

SGH
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
targetman wrote:

SGH

I have been banned by many moderators here. They are all drunk with power....especially UBERZEV!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
targetman wrote:

SGH

Say what you will about JD but at least he liked the players on the team. Good grief, a moderator on a Laker site, detests the star player...there's a new one.
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:46 pm    Post subject:

I hear what you all are saying. I'm along the line of thought that says that we lost to the same team with the same roster last year. I don't feel satisfied with attempting that feat again ...

They say the definition of stupidity/insanity is trying the same thing, the same way, over and over and expecting a different result.

Yes we beat the Celts by the hair of chinny chin chin's at home this year but let's not go nuts thinking we're dominant over them.

If Bynum comes back healthy and in synchrony I take back the entire proposition; but that's the rub, isn't it?

I can just envision him hobbling around 10 minutes off the bench in the WCF before Phil yanks him as we fight the Spurs to the death again.

Convince Shaq to play one year for peanuts, retire a Laker, everyone is happy ... the media can have multiple orgasms. I'm not suggesting it's feasible, I'm saying if it's possible do it. I agree that he is not worth Odom, though ... but he's worth some other package.

Phoenix is content atm evaporating the Clippers so it's looking unlikely anyhow.
Sister Golden Hair
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject:

divncom wrote:
I hear what you all are saying. I'm along the line of thought that says that we lost to the same team with the same roster last year. I don't feel satisfied with attempting that feat again ...

They say the definition of stupidity/insanity is trying the same thing, the same way, over and over and expecting a different result.

Yes we beat the Celts by the hair of chinny chin chin's at home this year but let's not go nuts thinking we're dominant over them.

If Bynum comes back healthy and in synchrony I take back the entire proposition; but that's the rub, isn't it?

I can just envision him hobbling around 10 minutes off the bench in the WCF before Phil yanks him as we fight the Spurs to the death again.

Convince Shaq to play one year for peanuts, retire a Laker, everyone is happy ... the media can have multiple orgasms. I'm not suggesting it's feasible, I'm saying if it's possible do it. I agree that he is not worth Odom, though ... but he's worth some other package.

Phoenix is content atm evaporating the Clippers so it's looking unlikely anyhow.

He makes 20 million a year. Even if you were willing, HOW can you put together a package that DOESN"t include odom.

Use your head, man. This not only crackpot, it's crack pipe.

SGH
1hu2ren3dui4
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject:

don't really know what the big deal is.

a) one of the reasons that vlf respects kobe is that kobe is all about winning.
b) if shaq would help the lakers win (which is an entirely different debate altogether), but assuming that he would, and kobe nixed it due to ego, this would indicate that kobe is not all about winning.
c) if kobe is not all about winning, which is reason a) for why vlf respects kobe, he would respect kobe less, relatively speaking.

doesnt necessarily mean vlf wont respect kobe; doesnt necessarily mean he hates kobe. its all relative.

that said, i think shaq would be a distraction to the team, as while he was dominating when he was in his prime, he has never been about basketball, which would lead one to believe that without the engagement of constant minutes / cash money, his focus would drift and potentially have a deleterious effect. its all speculation, but put it another way, if he had been more dedicated / kept in shape / worked on rounding his game, there would be no doubt about who the GOAT is. he was that good. shaq may be one of the most disappointing hall of famers ever. why pick up the remnants of that legacy?
divncom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:09 am    Post subject:

divncom wrote:

He makes 20 million a year. Even if you were willing, HOW can you put together a package that DOESN"t include odom.

Use your head, man. This not only crackpot, it's crack pipe.

SGH

It was predicated on the best case scenario - i.e. being bought out or something of that nature. I'm arguing I'd take him on board if I could get him, as opposed to being fundamentally opposed to it.

Please watch the crackhead/crackpot insults also, I'm new here and you don't even know me.

I like the "This not only crackpot" though; you teach school in Oakland by chance?
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject:

lot of people love to Shaq back in Lakers uniform. But reality check says Nope. Mainly financially. Paying next year for that guy 42 million will kill the orgranization.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject:

divncom wrote:

Fundamentally flawed statements. Neither the Lakers nor the Celts are the same as last year. The Lakers were without Ariza essentially and except for Kobe, Fish & Luke, that was the team's first exposure to Finals bball. The Celts bench is thinner now and they lost 2 key reserves in PJ and Posey.

Adding Shaq right now may make a difference, but there's absolutely no way to get him right now. Who knows what to expect from Shaq next year or the year after? I doubt he'll be as good as he is this year.
SladeRider
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject:

I'm all for Shaq coming back and coming off the bench but the Lakers aren't getting him in any sort of trade, so that can be thrown out the window. So it would be down to Phoenix buying him out and considering they have one of the tightest owners in the league, chances are slim.

The only real way of getting Shaq is either a) he gets traded and is brought out, won't happen as who is going to trade for Shaq and then who's going to buy out the $20 million he's owed next season or b) he's signed when his contract ends after next season

B is the most viable option but that comes down to weather or not Shaq fills he wants to retire or play on for another year, and considering Shaq's history with his conditioning, it's highly likely that he retires but who knows. Maybe his time in Phoenix is encouraging him to play on longer, if he remained in Miami, you could of bet your house that once his contract was up, he would of retired.
rak617
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:09 am    Post subject:

If Marbury goes to Celtics........Time to get Shaq.

Me :
Everyone else :
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject:

1hu2ren3dui4 wrote:
doesnt necessarily mean vlf wont respect kobe; doesnt necessarily mean he hates kobe. its all relative.

Make no mistake about it - VLF hates Kobe. Just look at his posts since 2003.

Does that make him unqualified to moderate? Of course not.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7
Jump to: