The Lakers' propensity to whine...
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TobiasBeecher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:42 am    Post subject: The Lakers' propensity to whine...

about foul calls or non foul calls. Whining about a foul call is not going to make the ref change their mind. A couple of times in last night's game, Pau was so busy trying to brat at the ref, he left his man open for a wide open dunk. Sasha never thinks he fouls anybody and Kobe's constant histrionics might get him an early shower if he's not careful. The refs make bad calls (we saw that on display yesterday) but to continue to whine about it just gets tiresome as a fan to watch it.

Last edited by TobiasBeecher on Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:06 am; edited 1 time in total
stillmatic
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 7:59 am    Post subject:

I agree 100%.

Don't forget Bynum's whining and arm flaling after every call, that was probably the most annoying.

Sasha and his stupid prayer gesture after every call (although sometimes he does get some serious rookie treatment, but still)

Lamar's is funny cuz he starts jumping around in disbelief when it was (bleep) blatantly obvious.

Derek Fisher and his pause while mad dogging the ref like "Do you know who I am? I'm president of the player's association!"

imo, they all need to learn from Ariza, I honestly don't think I can remember Ariza EVER crying after a call.
Rick12322
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:09 am    Post subject:

Well..., some people are chickens and take it..., and some are, well you know how it goes.

Maybe there's a better way, I don't know. One thing is clear, there is clearly lopsided officiating going on. Somebody's been told not to blow the whistle when Pau get's smacked in the head, or Kobe gets butchered. There are clear instructions given to officials about how, when and how often to give Kobe a whistle. We know this by following the pattern. It's consistent, deliberate, and with a purpose.

The question is, how to expose it, how to combat it, how to get on equal ground?
Mr. EiGhTy-OnE
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject:

pau's been pissing me off with his body language lately. i dont know if its fatigue but not only does he complain he has been slow to get back on defense

Last edited by Mr. EiGhTy-OnE on Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:09 am; edited 1 time in total
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Lakers' propensity to whine...

TobiasBeecher wrote:
about foul calls or non foul calls. Whining about a foul call is not going to make the ref change their mind. A couple of times in last night's game, Pau was so busy trying to brat at the ref, he left his man open for a wide open dunk. Sasha never thinks he fouls anybody and Kobe's constant histrionics might get him an early shower if he's not careful. The refs make bad calls (we saw that on display yesterday) but to continue to whine about it just gets tiresome as a fan to watch it.

Oh the irony.
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject:

...thats every team in the league!!!
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: The Lakers' propensity to whine...

TobiasBeecher wrote:
Kobe's constant histrionics might get him an early shower if he's not careful.

Yeah, because that's happened so often before.
FBP Si 2000
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:

Yup...we just notice it more with the Lakers because we watch their games.
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:

FBP Si 2000 wrote:
Free_Kobe wrote:

Yup...we just notice it more with the Lakers because we watch their games.

Exactly.

The Lakers don't complain anymore than any other team ... no matter what Jeff van Gundy says.

- Andy Warhol
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:

The Lakers don't whine. A few of them complain too much after calls.

But they don't whine.
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject:

Personally, if the opposing team was allowed to foul me as much as opposing players foul Kobe without any calls, I'd probably blow a gasket and knock out one of the referees. All things considered, I think Kobe shows quite a bit of restraint.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
TobiasBeecher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
The Lakers don't whine. A few of them complain too much after calls.

But they don't whine.

They do whine. They were all in full form last night. I'm a homer as much as anybody here but there are times when I get infuriated when they complain on such obvious calls. I don't care about "every other team"...I am not a fan of every other team, I worry about my own team.

Kobe has been put out of a game more than once for bratting at the officials. Bad calls have become synonymous with games as slam dunks have. You just have to roll with it or have Buss pull a Mark Cuban and brat to the people at the top.
vida24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:

stillmatic wrote:
Derek Fisher and his pause while mad dogging the ref like "Do you know who I am? I'm president of the player's association!"

ERod86
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:00 am    Post subject:

Kobe is actually better than he used to be. I used to be embarrassed that my team's best player threw so many tantrums. Despite Kobe maturing, his competitive nature creates so much passion he will always do some over the top complaining. The only part that bothers me is when he, or any other Laker, does it long enough to get him behind the defensive play.

The worst in the league is Boston, used to be the Suns. One thing that happens when team get really good they begin to expect things to go their way, they develop a sense of entitlement...thus, lots of crying.
TobiasBeecher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:06 am    Post subject:

ERod86 wrote:
Kobe is actually better than he used to be. I used to be embarrassed that my team's best player threw so many tantrums. Despite Kobe maturing, his competitive nature creates so much passion he will always do some over the top complaining. The only part that bothers me is when he, or any other Laker, does it long enough to get him behind the defensive play.

The worst in the league is Boston, used to be the Suns. One thing that happens when team get really good they begin to expect things to go their way, they develop a sense of entitlement...thus, lots of crying.

That's it! That's what pisses me off. I have seen it several times this season....Kobe barking at the official while his man goes in for a lay-up. Pau did it last night and then Marks went in for an uncontested lay-up.
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:08 am    Post subject:

I thought this thread was about some of our fans.

That I could have agreed with.

Though i do agree that its best to pay attention to the game and develop a mentality where bad officiating fuels you to play with even more intensity.
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:12 am    Post subject:

Rick12322 wrote:
Well..., some people are chickens and take it..., and some are, well you know how it goes.

Maybe there's a better way, I don't know. One thing is clear, there is clearly lopsided officiating going on. Somebody's been told not to blow the whistle when Pau get's smacked in the head, or Kobe gets butchered. There are clear instructions given to officials about how, when and how often to give Kobe a whistle. We know this by following the pattern. It's consistent, deliberate, and with a purpose.

The question is, how to expose it, how to combat it, how to get on equal ground?

This is clearly insane.

The Lakers are the biggest draw in the league. Kobe is one of the most popular, if not the most popular basketball player in the world. Pau is great for international marketing. The Lakers success is vital for generating revenue for a league in which many of the teams are bleeding money.

No one in the league office is going to instruct the refs to allow Kobe (or Pau) to be fouled without giving them calls. That risks injury to those players. Risking injury to those players risks cutting off revenue. That simple.

It probably has more to do with the refs being totally incredulous that Kobe insists on taking ridiculous shots when he's clearly being guarded well (if not roughly) and wants to get into these one-on-five games instead of playing basketball and they decide, on a personal level, not to bail Kobe out of his temporary madness. That and he has complained a lot over the years, constantly, and he probably has worn his welcome out with most of the refs in the league.

There is no conspiracy though. There might be a bias caused by the reaction of individual refs to Kobe's behavior--this is totally plausible. But there is no ruling handed down from Stern.
sone212
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:15 am    Post subject:

RG73 wrote:
It probably has more to do with the refs being totally incredulous that Kobe insists on taking ridiculous shots when he's clearly being guarded well (if not roughly) and wants to get into these one-on-five games instead of playing basketball and they decide, on a personal level, not to bail Kobe out of his temporary madness.

Yeah, that's it. *sarcasm*
KobeChinaMan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject:

These are the threads we get now? You guys just made this dumb thread because idiot Van Gundy who guranteed the Rockets would win the title said it.
DJ Qube
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:17 am    Post subject:

Well, getting crap officiating on the road is one thing, but when you can't even catch a break on your own home court, that's something else entirely. The refs gave NO a clear edge their first game here at Staples. It was happening again down the stretch last night as well.

Officiating is very much a "refs opinion" situation. When 50/50 plays go against you 80% of the time, you feel like you're getting the shaft. It's human nature to (bleep) about it.
TobiasBeecher
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject:

KobeChinaMan wrote:
These are the threads we get now? You guys just made this dumb thread because idiot Van Gundy who guranteed the Rockets would win the title said it.

Um, no that's not why. I noticed this trend far before Jeff Van Gundy opened his mouth. I have watched the Lakers for 20+ years and this barking at the officials has gotten worse in the past five years.
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject:

DJ Qube wrote:
Well, getting crap officiating on the road is one thing, but when you can't even catch a break on your own home court, that's something else entirely. The refs gave NO a clear edge their first game here at Staples. It was happening again down the stretch last night as well.

Officiating is very much a "refs opinion" situation. When 50/50 plays go against you 80% of the time, you feel like you're getting the shaft. It's human nature to (bleep) about it.

-
While I agree with some bad calls (Alot on K24) - we need to focus...

On K24, not sure but has it Tech# gone ?
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:

KobeChinaMan wrote:

Friends of my who are Lakers fans, and especially friends who are not Laker fans, have been complaining about Kobe's theatrics over fouls for years. I didn't hear what Van Gundy said, but this has nothing to do with last night's game.

Having said that, there is no question the Celtics cry at least twice as much as anyone else in the league. When the leader or leaders of the team cry the whole team cries.

I have always felt, if it is worth saying, you wait until a dead ball and have a conversation. This gets the ref on your side rather than mad at you, and it helps the cause of your team instead of hurting it...
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:28 am    Post subject:

sone212 wrote:
RG73 wrote:
It probably has more to do with the refs being totally incredulous that Kobe insists on taking ridiculous shots when he's clearly being guarded well (if not roughly) and wants to get into these one-on-five games instead of playing basketball and they decide, on a personal level, not to bail Kobe out of his temporary madness.

Yeah, that's it. *sarcasm*

Yes, well I'm sure it is also Stern sending a memo out to the refs telling them to allow certain players to hit Kobe constantly during a game and not to call a foul when they do it.
LakerDynasty6.0
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject:

The Lakers NON-whiners Hall of Fame

1. Ariza
2. Powell
3. Phil (I really wish he had less zen and got kicked out a couple times!)
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to: