Best Gangsta Rap song/album?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
mike_dee23
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 03 Feb 2005
Posts: 11702

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:33 am    Post subject: Best Gangsta Rap song/album?

Song
1. Boyz-N-The-Hood by NWA

Album
1. Doggystyle by Snoop

also, what's your definition of gangsta rap?
_________________
MTFBWYA
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Best Gangsta Rap song/album?

mike_dee23 wrote:
Song
1. Boyz-N-The-Hood by NWA

Album
1. Doggystyle by Snoop

also, what's your definition of gangsta rap?


1.Song-So many tears-Tupac
2. CD-Me against the World-Tupac
_________________
“It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.”
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 28461
Location: Chillin on the Delaware.. from the Jersey Side

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:31 am    Post subject:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OH0wlkfbc

Last edited by TACH on Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 13196
Location: @ the beach

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OH0wlkfbc]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21OH0wlkfbc[/url]


Gangsta!!!
_________________
♪ ♫One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain...
So hit me with music! ♪ ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
frijolero01
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 10 May 2005
Posts: 13324

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject:

song-Straight Outta Compton- NWA

Albums:
Straight Outta Compton- NWA
2pac- All Eyez on Me
Dr. Dre- The Chronic
Snoop- Doggystyle
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 May 2005
Posts: 42501

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:08 am    Post subject:

Willenium.
_________________
14-5-3-12
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject:

This is easy:

SONG: Know The Ledge - Rakim (Y'all that don't know, need to peep that. His ONLY G-Rap cut, and he pulls it off like he's been in the G-Rap game for years, and it's "smarter" than the run-of-the-mill G-Rap cuts)

ALBUM: The Chronic - Popularaized the West Coast to mega-levels; Intro'd Snoop to the masses; Took the whole "skits" thing to a whole nother level; Popularized (for better or worse) weed; Showed off Dre's producing skills, solidifying him as inarguably the dopest hip hop producer of all time.
_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Vancouver Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 17 Apr 2006
Posts: 14919

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject:

song: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnpf6myIlAk

album: http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_HVIq2f9G-Bg/SJCAlbHSfpI/AAAAAAAACVw/cernZehfpbs/s400/Dr.DreTheChronic.jpg
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82425
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:48 pm    Post subject:

None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:15 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >



Not true. Bling destroyed Hip Hop.
_________________
“It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.”
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 02 Sep 2005
Posts: 13196
Location: @ the beach

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject:

Is this gangsta rap???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8boIhqb8C4&feature=related
_________________
♪ ♫One good thing about music, when it hits, you feel no pain...
So hit me with music! ♪ ♫
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:32 pm    Post subject:

Free_Kobe wrote:
Is this gangsta rap???
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8boIhqb8C4&feature=related


No but this is.....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_fwVU4ndhY
_________________
“It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.”
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82425
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >



Not true. Bling destroyed Hip Hop.


I like you KBCB, so I'm not going to get into a hair-splitting argument, but those two things are very intertwined. Most rock fans are able to admit that the 80's hair bands did a good job of diminishing the art form, it's high time hip-hop heads admit that the gangsta/bling thing did the same for rap. lacking that recognition, most of the crap elements introduced still poison the well, so to speak...
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >


Nope. 2 reasons Hip Hop is dead: Puffy & the South.
_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82425
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:56 pm    Post subject:

LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >


Nope. 2 reasons Hip Hop is dead: Puffy & the South.


While I think my reason is valid, I don't have an argument against your either!
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Apr 2008
Posts: 6429

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >


Nope. 2 reasons Hip Hop is dead: Puffy & the South.


While I think my reason is valid, I don't have an argument against your either!


LB's argument is very close to the truth IMO. And fundamentally, they reflect a rise in calebration of bling over substance.

Even though NWA plays like camp now, when they first appeared, they were not only shocking to the sensibilities, but compelling in the way they sought to express the humanity in those who felt so marginalized by society as a whole. That they weren't up to the genius of Tupac didn't make what they did irrelevant, nor did it destroy the music. Indeed, they were the descendants of groups like PE and KRS-One.

If your argument is that Tupac and Biggie consistantly, as well as others occasionally, didn't make compelling, worthy art, then we needn't take this conversation further.

But as I alluded to and LB more clearly pointed out, Puff and the dirty South took all of the artistry and humanity that made the earlier rap so compelling.
_________________
“It took many years of vomiting up all the filth I’d been taught about myself, and half-believed, before I was able to walk on the earth as though I had a right to be here.”
― James Baldwin, Collected Essays
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82425
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >


Nope. 2 reasons Hip Hop is dead: Puffy & the South.


While I think my reason is valid, I don't have an argument against your either!


LB's argument is very close to the truth IMO. And fundamentally, they reflect a rise in calebration of bling over substance.

Even though NWA plays like camp now, when they first appeared, they were not only shocking to the sensibilities, but compelling in the way they sought to express the humanity in those who felt so marginalized by society as a whole. That they weren't up to the genius of Tupac didn't make what they did irrelevant, nor did it destroy the music. Indeed, they were the descendants of groups like PE and KRS-One.

If your argument is that Tupac and Biggie consistantly, as well as others occasionally, didn't make compelling, worthy art, then we needn't take this conversation further.

But as I alluded to and LB more clearly pointed out, Puff and the dirty South took all of the artistry and humanity that made the earlier rap so compelling.


Fair enough. I respect the talent of Biggie and Pac, although both got really caught up in the bling/thug thing, to their detriment. I think NWA sold out rather early. PE gets no grief from me, as they represent some of the best in both talent and social merit. My point was not that there weren't great acts in the genre, but that the genre lead the way for puffy and the rest to crap all over everything. It went from hard truths about the streets to ghetto-fabulous thug celebration in a heartbeat, and that's what I dislike.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 28461
Location: Chillin on the Delaware.. from the Jersey Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject:

First hip hop is not dead.... Mos Def still makes record so it can't be dead...

Secondly, what is happening to Hip Hop is happening in several genres of music.... the labels and radio. Radio and labels push generic soul-less music they can make the most money off of...

Lastly, there is no one person or region that 'killed' hip hop.... if anything, its the fan/listener... the listener/fan did by not supporting good music... instead they fan/listener sat back a took what radio and the labels fed/feed them. And this is not just isolated to hip hop... Rock has been a shell of itself for years now....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82425
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
First hip hop is not dead.... Mos Def still makes record so it can't be dead...

Secondly, what is happening to Hip Hop is happening in several genres of music.... the labels and radio. Radio and labels push generic soul-less music they can make the most money off of...

Lastly, there is no one person or region that 'killed' hip hop.... if anything, its the fan/listener... the listener/fan did by not supporting good music... instead they fan/listener sat back a took what radio and the labels fed/feed them. And this is not just isolated to hip hop... Rock has been a shell of itself for years now....


Good post.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:31 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >


Nope. 2 reasons Hip Hop is dead: Puffy & the South.


While I think my reason is valid, I don't have an argument against your either!


LB's argument is very close to the truth IMO. And fundamentally, they reflect a rise in calebration of bling over substance.

Even though NWA plays like camp now, when they first appeared, they were not only shocking to the sensibilities, but compelling in the way they sought to express the humanity in those who felt so marginalized by society as a whole. That they weren't up to the genius of Tupac didn't make what they did irrelevant, nor did it destroy the music. Indeed, they were the descendants of groups like PE and KRS-One.

If your argument is that Tupac and Biggie consistantly, as well as others occasionally, didn't make compelling, worthy art, then we needn't take this conversation further.

But as I alluded to and LB more clearly pointed out, Puff and the dirty South took all of the artistry and humanity that made the earlier rap so compelling.



_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 28461
Location: Chillin on the Delaware.. from the Jersey Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:39 pm    Post subject:

24 wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >


Nope. 2 reasons Hip Hop is dead: Puffy & the South.


While I think my reason is valid, I don't have an argument against your either!


LB's argument is very close to the truth IMO. And fundamentally, they reflect a rise in calebration of bling over substance.

Even though NWA plays like camp now, when they first appeared, they were not only shocking to the sensibilities, but compelling in the way they sought to express the humanity in those who felt so marginalized by society as a whole. That they weren't up to the genius of Tupac didn't make what they did irrelevant, nor did it destroy the music. Indeed, they were the descendants of groups like PE and KRS-One.

If your argument is that Tupac and Biggie consistantly, as well as others occasionally, didn't make compelling, worthy art, then we needn't take this conversation further.

But as I alluded to and LB more clearly pointed out, Puff and the dirty South took all of the artistry and humanity that made the earlier rap so compelling.


Fair enough. I respect the talent of Biggie and Pac, although both got really caught up in the bling/thug thing, to their detriment. I think NWA sold out rather early. PE gets no grief from me, as they represent some of the best in both talent and social merit. My point was not that there weren't great acts in the genre, but that the genre lead the way for puffy and the rest to crap all over everything. It went from hard truths about the streets to ghetto-fabulous thug celebration in a heartbeat, and that's what I dislike.


24, not to jump on you... but that last sentence is so wrong. Both are part of hip hop music and always have been... its just unfortunate that the one gets play and gets label as 'all things hip hop' and one doesn't... again going back to the labels and radio. If you are saying what is played on the radio and MTV (btw who listens to the radio any more?) represents hip hop then you maybe correct... but what is played on the radio and MTV/BET is not a valid representation of hip hop... just a small part...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:42 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
First hip hop is not dead.... Mos Def still makes record so it can't be dead...

Secondly, what is happening to Hip Hop is happening in several genres of music.... the labels and radio. Radio and labels push generic soul-less music they can make the most money off of...

Lastly, there is no one person or region that 'killed' hip hop.... if anything, its the fan/listener... the listener/fan did by not supporting good music... instead they fan/listener sat back a took what radio and the labels fed/feed them. And this is not just isolated to hip hop... Rock has been a shell of itself for years now....


Cats like Common, Talib, and Mos have it on life support.

And I disagree, once Puffy came onto the scene, that was the beginning of the fall of Hip Hop and the rise of Rap. He shiny-suited/Oversampled Hip Hop to the outskirts of the genre and ushered in the facade we see now - the glorification of material gain.

Then the South came and slowed it down and further pushed the whole material gain angle, and added the whole "booty shakin'" phenomenon. So then Hip Hop was reduced to wack MCs, Video Hoes, Bling, White Tees, Cristal, and Whips & Rims.
_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
TACH
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 03 Nov 2005
Posts: 28461
Location: Chillin on the Delaware.. from the Jersey Side

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject:

the glorification of material gain - Come on bro... that was has always been a part of hip hop... don't make me go back to the 80s to show example after example...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Omar Little
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 02 May 2005
Posts: 82425
Location: Formerly Known As 24

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
24 wrote:
KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
LuxuryBrown wrote:
24 wrote:
None of it. Gangster rap destroyed hip-hop...


<OK, I'll leave the thread now >


Nope. 2 reasons Hip Hop is dead: Puffy & the South.


While I think my reason is valid, I don't have an argument against your either!


LB's argument is very close to the truth IMO. And fundamentally, they reflect a rise in calebration of bling over substance.

Even though NWA plays like camp now, when they first appeared, they were not only shocking to the sensibilities, but compelling in the way they sought to express the humanity in those who felt so marginalized by society as a whole. That they weren't up to the genius of Tupac didn't make what they did irrelevant, nor did it destroy the music. Indeed, they were the descendants of groups like PE and KRS-One.

If your argument is that Tupac and Biggie consistantly, as well as others occasionally, didn't make compelling, worthy art, then we needn't take this conversation further.

But as I alluded to and LB more clearly pointed out, Puff and the dirty South took all of the artistry and humanity that made the earlier rap so compelling.


Fair enough. I respect the talent of Biggie and Pac, although both got really caught up in the bling/thug thing, to their detriment. I think NWA sold out rather early. PE gets no grief from me, as they represent some of the best in both talent and social merit. My point was not that there weren't great acts in the genre, but that the genre lead the way for puffy and the rest to crap all over everything. It went from hard truths about the streets to ghetto-fabulous thug celebration in a heartbeat, and that's what I dislike.


24, not to jump on you... but that last sentence is so wrong. Both are part of hip hop music and always have been... its just unfortunate that the one gets play and gets label as 'all things hip hop' and one doesn't... again going back to the labels and radio. If you are saying what is played on the radio and MTV (btw who listens to the radio any more?) represents hip hop then you maybe correct... but what is played on the radio and MTV/BET is not a valid representation of hip hop... just a small part...


No offense taken. I'm open to listening and learning, although it might always seem so given my irresistible urge to pontificate.

I get that both elements were always there. I think my beef is similar to what you're saying, that the marketing people played up one slice of the pie, the worst one. I'm speaking in mainstream terms, not as a blanket statement. I loooooves me some Def, and it pisses me off that guys like him get somewhat of a backseat to the abominable crap started with (some of) the gangsta guys, and totally ripped off and sickeningly cheapened further by the likes of puffy.
_________________
Tolerance is an agreement to live in peace, not an agreement to be peaceful no matter the conduct of others. A peace treaty is not a suicide pact.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LuxuryBrown
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 09 Jun 2006
Posts: 17429
Location: Mackadocious, Ca.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:25 pm    Post subject:

TACH wrote:
the glorification of material gain - Come on bro... that was has always been a part of hip hop... don't make me go back to the 80s to show example after example...


Ah! But it wasn't glorified then. The "truck jewelry" was one thing - the Yachts, Ice, Cristal now - whole different ball game. Gold ropes don't add up to all the blingosity that permeates throughout rap today.
_________________
Quote:
Smooth, but I move like an army / Bulletproof down in case brothas try to bomb me / Puttin' brothas to rest like Elliot Ness / Cuz I don't like stress
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> The Best Of... All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB