***LAKERS -vs- ROCKETS 5/17 Game 7 Thread***
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102, 103  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker Lurker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
I think when the coaches decide to actually use the big men available on the team, as they did today, it isn't necessary or feasible for heroics from Kobe to occur.

It just goes to show what playing good team basketball can do for you.

Mkae a person wonder what they were thinking of before this game
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:
stupid thread...they won bc kobe didnt HAVE to take over...not bc he didnt want to take over...

Blade_For_Hire
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject:

The funny thing is we didn't dump the ball inside that much. We ran more pick and roll with Kobe and Gasol. The bigs dominated today but not in the post. They dominated because of offensive boards off of pentration from the pick and roll.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:03 pm    Post subject:

J.C. Smith wrote:
All in all a good game by Kobe. He had by my count four bad possessions in the game (two three pointers, and twice when Andrew had good position but we ignored him), and his numbers weren't great by his standards, but sometimes what you don't do is more important than what you do. Kobe stayed a threat on offense, but he also allowed us to execute our gameplan of getting the ball inside against an undersized Rockets team. His time to shine offensively will probably come in the next round, but tonight he did a great job, without putting up big numbers.

But with regards to other people not showing up in other games on offense. They need the ball to score. Was ridiculous that they mentioned twice during the telecast that Bynum didn't score in three games of the series. He didn't get a single low post touch in at least one of those. Tonight we took advantage of our size and we played tough defense all game long. That was the difference.

i'm glad you mention this. but let me put another spin on this. how think the lakers have grown, even since the beginning of the season, but especially since the playoffs started, is this team doesn't play defense now only when they're offense is rolling, in the past they relied on their offensive success to key their defensive success. today is evidence that is no longer the case, we were awful offensively, we only shot 45% turned the ball over 19 times, and were out assisted by our opponents 17 to 16. last year we either lose a game like this or it's close, early in the year we lose a game like this or its close, not today.

we have grown defensively and it has nothing to do with how we play offense. what we saw today was a laker defense that some on this board envy with the celtics and the cavs, today our team showed that they can play that kind of defense as well. be that as it may, i'm sure some posters will point to the fact that our offensive distribution has something to do with how well we play on defense, but nothing could be further from the truth, since only teams that are pretenders to throne - i.e. the lakers of last year - have that kind of mind set, but i'm sure some posters will continue to make that a point, if nothing else it does make for a colorful debate.
Blade_For_Hire
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject:

PopcornMachine wrote:
I think when the coaches decide to actually use the big men available on the team, as they did today, it isn't necessary or feasible for heroics from Kobe to occur.

It just goes to show what playing good team basketball can do for you.

Has nothing to do with the coaches. Has to do with the bigs remebering that they are 7 feet tall and playing like it.
CHRISTYLE70
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:08 pm    Post subject:

OregonLakerGuy wrote:
chazzz3dt_AB17 wrote:
CHRISTYLE70@HOTMAIL.COM wrote:
chazzz3dt_AB17 wrote:
hellsling wrote:
We won because our bigs got touches

simple as that. Pau got going and Drew looked for the ball and not just out there taking up space.
'
No thats totally incorrect Defense wins championships we won because as a unit our bIg men played defense and were a force defensively, when you play D you get easy opportunities on Offense. Point blank

i never said our defense wasnt sharp today. it was we made them pass the ball a lot and take bad shots. what im saying is compared to game 6 where Pau never really got it going and Drew gave you little no production offensively they looked like all stars today and as a result Kobe doesn't have to go into chuck it mode.

I have always thought that "defense wins championships" was a misstatement. Without defense you cannot win a championship would be more accurate. Offense is just as important. Intensity on both ends is required to win it all.

Just my opinion.

WE ONLY. scored 89 points and still won in a rout during the Regular season we would have lost this game because we looked to score 100 a game, and outscore people.. This Game was strictly defense the way it should be.
Layzie310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject:

I'm The Dan wrote:
I don't get it. The Lakers make them pay money to show the player introductions?

The networks rarely miss a chance to squeeze in some commercials.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject:

Stupid (bleep) original post.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersho2001
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:13 pm    Post subject:

BS!! TNT just did them for the bos- Orlando game and I remember them being done for the Bulls 1st rd series.

The media is soo east cost biased when it comes to the nba for some reason. I noticed this starting with the 2001 finals vs the sixers.
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:20 pm    Post subject:

Sage_10 wrote:
We've also won when Kobe takes over a game so the argument is a wash. It's on a game to game basis.

Absolutely. It depends on the matchup. I think that Kobe will have a big scoring series against the Nuggets. Though against the Cavs I personally hope to see him playing that DPOY level defense he showed against Lebron earlier in the year and relaxing a bit on offense.
vanexelent
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Because we need to hear the insights of John Barry guarding an animated version of Kobe Bryant and to listen to Stuat Scott blather about some made up "nickname" for Aaron Brooks that consists of literally just describing qualities he possesses.
Layzie310
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:34 pm    Post subject:

Rarely miss a chance. And remember, ABC sucks. TNT sucks a tiny bit less.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject:

Sorry I missed it, glad I've got a DVR!

Now.... BEAT DENVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
gumby
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 5:59 pm    Post subject:

Probably the commercials reason.

I hate it.

I miss the clapping version of the Lakers intro.

But really, how can you sense from the start of a great game the animosity the fans have against a team?

Like when you would hear the fans boo Boston's intros and then go wild when they announce the Lakers.

It gives that us against them feeling. Instead of just splashing 5 faces on the screen.

Blah! Can I make a network, air NBA games and keep it cool like it used to be? Like when the announcers called the game not just talked and talked and talked about unrelated things?

Bye.
supercarbide289
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I missed it too. Damn school finals. Why must the NBA playoffs coincide with studying for finals? It's a good thing somewhere on the internet, I can watch the game at a later time.
I'm The Dan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:43 pm    Post subject:

Yeah.. I remember seeing intro's for other teams during the regular season while watching Lakers games on League Pass.

I guess the commercial aspect makes sense. Since the Lakers are a big market team they'll draw more viewers which raises the prices of the commercials.

Either way I really like watching the player intros and I've only seen the Lakers a few times.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:28 pm    Post subject:

Qsmiff wrote:
Some people hate the under 21 shot stat but the more the shot attempts are equal throughout the team the better the team performs

People only hate it when there's a correlation-versus-causation fallacy involved.
Blade_For_Hire
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:35 pm    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:
Some people hate the under 21 shot stat but the more the shot attempts are equal throughout the team the better the team performs

People only hate it when there's a correlation-versus-causation fallacy involved.
guberchink
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:37 pm    Post subject:

philosophical logic needs to be a high school requirement because there still seems to be a lot of people that don't understand the +/- 21 shot thing with kobe.

teammates shoot well ==> kobe doesn't shoot a lot because he doesn't have to

NOT

kobe doesn't shoot a lot ==> teammates shoot well
magicfan
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject:

i have never thread bash, but i must say this is one stupid thread. watch the game again. i'm sure it'll be played again.
Steve007
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject:

I've seen the player introductions for Laker games being shown in the conference finals before (I remember them being shown against Sacramento back in 2002). I don't remember them being shown in the second round, and I can't remember if they were shown in the conference finals last year.

I agree with the OP. This was game 7. At least show the player introductions for this game. It surprised me when they showed them for the Boston-Orlando game but not for the game in LA.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject:

there's a moderation to Kobe taking over and getting his team mates involved. Game 6 was the negative end of it. If you come out at the start of the game, take half your team's shots, all difficult and miss most of them, that's not helping anyone. Sorry that's not being aggressive that's being dumb.

There are time when Kobe needs to take over. No one denies that. But there are also times he needs to dial it down and let his team mates do their thing. I don't believe they were ever given a chance to show up early in game 6 like they were today. It's about reading the flow of the game. Sometimes Kobe really sucks at it.
raffi
LG Contributor
LG Contributor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:54 pm    Post subject:

I'm at the games and, to be honest, they haven't been that good.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:55 pm    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
Qsmiff wrote:

Fallacies. Kobe's kryptonite.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 7:57 pm    Post subject:

OshadowO wrote:
there's a moderation to Kobe taking over and getting his team mates involved. Game 6 was the negative end of it. If you come out at the start of the game, take half your team's shots, all difficult and miss most of them, that's not helping anyone. Sorry that's not being aggressive that's being dumb.

There are time when Kobe needs to take over. No one denies that. But there are also times he needs to dial it down and let his team mates do their thing. I don't believe they were ever given a chance to show up early in game 6 like they were today. It's about reading the flow of the game. Sometimes Kobe really sucks at it.

I would say that there has never been a player in then history of the NBA with better awareness about what his team needs. Kobe is a natural scorer, but he subjugates his game for the good of the team. So one of us is absolutely wrong.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Game Updates All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 100, 101, 102, 103  Next
Page 101 of 103
Jump to: