if our off season is in fact over...

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

whats your take ?
Satisfied
14%
 14%  [ 7 ]
neutral
26%
 26%  [ 13 ]
not satisfied
59%
 59%  [ 29 ]
Total Votes : 49

rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: if our off season is in fact over...

Lets say our off season is in fact over and there are no other aquisitions or trades and this is the team we take to camp.. what is your opinion of the job mitch did or did not do this off season.. i for one would be absolutely disgusted.

Last edited by rebirth on Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:39 pm; edited 2 times in total
dwonderful
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject:

i think that we will either sign corie blount or spree by training camp, but i like wat mitch did, he gave us lots of future potential with kwame brown and andrew bynum. a great coach in phil jackson, not to mention our star-studded ass. coaches! i give mitch 4 stars out of 5 during this off-season.
bounty
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject:

dwonderful wrote:
i like wat mitch did

me too.

DG
Kobe
LO
Kwame
Mihm
thats a huge athletic starting 5. We should lead the league in RB's and Opponents FG%. If we get a d sheme down we will be a load to deal with. Can complete a team in one off season and so far we are right where we need to be to compete for the gold
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:45 pm    Post subject:

I also like what Mitch did, but I can't give him a grade just yet other than inconclusive because we don't know what is happening with Turiaf. If Turiaf was able to play, I think we did very well.

But, Mitch played it smart. He is not bogging the Lakers down with deadweight, a bunch of contracts they would want to get rid of in a few years but cannot because of their sheer size.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
TheGoldenChild
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: if our off season is in fact over...

rebirth wrote:
Lets say our off season is in fact over and there are no other aquisitions or trades and this is the team we take to camp.. what is your opinion of the job mitch did or did not do this off season.. i for one would be absolutely disgusted.

Let's see..

Phil is back in at coach.
Kwame was picked up pretty cheap.
Drafted 7ft Bynum, Laker center of the future.
Signed McKie, prototypical Triangle guard.
B. Shaw, Rambis, Hamblen as assistants.
Kareem and Pippen to help develop our talent.
Kobe had a long summer to rest, get healthy & beef up.
Saved cap space.

Line up:

A. McKie
K. Bryant
L. Odom
K. Brown
C. Mihm

Granted the bench is not anything special, but Phil will get the most out of them. He always does.

Remember, no one really expects the Lakers to go all the way.

That said, how on earth are you "absolutely disgusted"?!
Panthera
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject:

I also like what Mitch did SO FAR but there's still work to be done IMO.

If this is our final roster, my grade is....incomplete.

This team needs more, plain and simple.

It would look much better if we had Turiaf but oh well...

Still, this team needs another guard (Spree) and another big man (Blount)

If this is our current roster, Mitch did a decent job..
PJax
Bynum, Wafer
Kwame..

However, with Spree and Blount, we'd be a complete team IMO.
Legacy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 12:59 pm    Post subject:

Im satisfied to an extent. We didnt get A. Dainiels, which would have been a perfect fit in the tri. Spree is pretty much out of the question, unless some kind of a miracle happens. I think Mitch did all he could, keeping the "2 year plan" in mind. We are definetly a better team with a better coach, and I think we will see some players thrive under the triangle offense. Keep an eye on Kwame and Lamar. Kobe now has help, and a little more room to operate. This season will be fun to watch, and this is just the beginning. Hold on to your arses Laker fans.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: if our off season is in fact over...

TheGoldenChild wrote:
rebirth wrote:

Let's see..

Saved cap space.

Line up:

A. McKie
K. Bryant
L. Odom
K. Brown
C. Mihm

Granted the bench is not anything special, but Phil will get the most out of them. He always does.

okay. maybe absolutely disgisted is harsh, but we still have way to many Sf's we really dont have anyone worth anything to back mckee up and we still need a back up big. . its not like we do not have pieces for a trade to aquire the pieces we need.. there are quite a few expiring contracts .. i would say his job is incomplete.
TheGoldenChild
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: if our off season is in fact over...

rebirth wrote:
TheGoldenChild wrote:
rebirth wrote:

Let's see..

Saved cap space.

Line up:

A. McKie
K. Bryant
L. Odom
K. Brown
C. Mihm

okay. maybe absolutely disgisted is harsh, but we still have way to many Sf's we really dont have anyone worth anything to back mckee up and we still need a back up big. . its not like we do not have pieces for a trade to aquire the pieces we need.. there are quite a few expiring contracts .. i would say his job is incomplete.

Gotcha..

I agree, there is more to be done. Maybe somethings will come thorugh.
*crosses fingers*
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: if our off season is in fact over...

TheGoldenChild wrote:
rebirth wrote:
TheGoldenChild wrote:
rebirth wrote:

Let's see..

Saved cap space.

Line up:

A. McKie
K. Bryant
L. Odom
K. Brown
C. Mihm

Gotcha..

I agree, there is more to be done. Maybe somethings will come thorugh.
*crosses fingers*

believe me my fingers an toes are crossed. i posted the same post at CL and Guru had a really great response on it... here it is

Quote:
I think Mitch is an average GM. Hes made some decisions I have liked and some I didnt. I think I do understand though what a tough job it is, and I give him a LOT more slack than most on this site. Its not like playing NBA Live, and there are so many factors and pressures, coming from all angles that need to be considered.

That being said, Im really not down with settliong for average. Id really rather have a guy in charge I ciompletely trust. I want a guy who has hit a few homeruns. Mitch is not that guy. Like I said, hes done an average job, but with a job like the LA Lakers, I think fans can grow to expect a little bit more.

I dont know who would be better for the job, if anybody, but I just dont feel confident with him anymore. I wouldnt mind seeing him gone. I want that guy who can hit homeruns.

VonWafer&KobeBryantFa
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:21 pm    Post subject:

not satisfied
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger Reply with quote
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 1:40 pm    Post subject:

based on emplays article this appears to be our team, with the exception of vlade or blount.. (no help). so there you have it.. no garnett, no spree.. just what you see now.. an unbalanced roster with many holes. i for one am not satisfied with the first round of the playoffs.. This is LA for gods sakes.. Mitch tried but (and i give him credit for that) but he has clearly proven he does not have what it take to be the GM of this established franchise..
lakerMark
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:42 pm    Post subject:

These are not Mitch's moves Phil is provided a list of possibilities and selects what he wants out of the bunch and Phil has a roster he is comfortable with so Mitch can sit back and wait for a deal that benefits the Lakers or just go in with what we have and it is enough talent to the point that Phil and Kobe are ready to set the record straight on who are the best one two punch around expect to prove the haters wrong.
cital
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 7:50 pm    Post subject:

I am not happy with the team. All we did was trade a very talented player with heart and determination that got along with Kobe, for a player who has so far been a bust. We got Bynum in the draft but he is a huge ? and wont help right now. We replaced Atkins with McKie and I'm not sure if thats an upgrade at all? The coaching situation is much better, but every coach will tell you that you need talent to win, and Phil has never coached a developing team so to speak, plus Kobe would have rather had Larry Brown or B.Shaw. so, no I'm not satisfied, but I think the first chance I will have at being satisfied with this team is 2 years from now, oh well.
heineken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject:

I see some minor missed opportunities. I like the getting Kwame. We really needed a big (in a big way). Hope that works out. I like Bynum as a future center. I really like the aquisition of Phil Jackson. Although if this is it... I think they let weeknesses not get addressed (and that may hurt them in the regular season) I hope they aren't done yet. (PS I like the Ronny Turiaf pick as well and I hope eventually comes back to play for us and proves what a good pick he was) Don't lose faith as long as you have Kobe Bryant and Phil Jackson I think you have a good start at greatness.
Luca Brasi
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 8:10 pm    Post subject:

We have to see how it all fits together. And I want to hold off judgment till I see Turiaf coming off the bench. I think - when he eventually plays - will add depth to out front court, and energy off the bench that is sorely needed - he reminds me of Malik Rose for some reason.

Also, the development of Bynum; if he improves steadily with the limited minutes he gets, then I'll be extremely enthused.

The player, besides Odom, that I see benefitting most from Phil's arrival is Luke - he hardly played under Rudy, and I think the Tri is suited to his skill level, but let's hope he comes into this season with a half-decent J.

Everything hinges on Kwame: if he can give us a low-post presence - one we didn't have last season - on both ends, then I think that the sky is the limit for this team as it grows in the coming years. That's why you can't really judge this off-season till a year or two from now.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: