Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:30 pm    Post subject:

I just want to hear that man speak something. Better than hear stupid media hype BS.
Choco_X
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

Quote:
I'm sad to see Trevor go, because everybody knows that he's like my brother. He still is. '

Aww.
OshadowO
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

But what about that chemistry stuff?

``Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. ``Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all. '
'

Exactly. People buy into media hype/BS so easily it is pitiful.

It's not hype or BS. Artest has a long, documented history of odd behavior and problems with the law. He was convicted of domestic abuse; he had a dog taken away because he mistreated it; he showed up at a Pacers practice in a bathrobe, among other odd behavior that suggestes the need for medication (he has admitted in interviews that doctors have suggested he should be medicated for his mental condition). His teammates have generally spoken positively of him but it's patently unfalse that the brawl in Detroit is the only black mark in his career

Yah but if you look at his track record since he came back from the suspension it's pretty clean.
Tanlentueux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:53 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

KOBEGASOL wrote:
We had a chance to catch up with Kobe Bryant today as he did a media session at the start of his annual basketball camp at LMU. Unlike some superstar athletes, Kobe actually teaches at his own camp and genuinely seems to enjoy it. ``I wouldn't do it if I couldn't be here myself,'' he said.

Of course catching up with him at his camp also provided us to get his thoughts on some of the recent player personnel moves the Lakers have made. You know, that Ron Artest thing...

Asked whether the Artest signing makes the Lakers a better team, Bryant said:

``I think it makes us a different team. It's tough to say whether we'll be a better team or not. We haven't won a championship with that unit yet. Trevor brought his style to us, which was very effective obviously. And Ron will bring his style to us. We'll just be a different team. Every year we adapt and we adjust. I'm sad to see Trevor go, because everybody knows that he's like my brother. He still is. ''

Kobe then confirmed the now infamous shower scene story, and noted that, ``This is something we've both been trying to make happen for a while.''

``I've known him for a long long time,'' Kobe said. ``It's one of those things, and he'll tell you this story too... After we lost to the Celtics, he came in the locker room, and I was in there, just by myself. And he just came in the locker room and said, `This is not going to happen to you again. I'm going to come there and I'm going to help you out. He wound up being in Houston, then the next year took us to Game 7. But he's here now.''

That said, the way it went down has been hotly debated in recent days. This columnist loved the move, thinking the Lakers showed a lot of guts, and will be rewarded with another round of champagne glory next June.

Others felt like the Lakers walked away from Trevor Ariza a bit too quickly.

Bryant said he was fine with how the business end played out, but noted he didn't have any official input on the situation.

``I don't think it was something where we picked Ron Artest over Trevor,'' Bryant said. ``I think with Trevor, we made an offer, and his representative felt like he could look elsewhere a little bit. And during that time, the Lakers talked to Ron and Ron was ready to go.

``I think it's either/or. I think if they went with Trevor, or with Ron, either way we'd be fine this year.''

``Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. ``Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all. ''
Kode est un garçon si intelligent ! Impressionnant vraiment !
Laker2Xtreme
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject:

Wonder if Phil's meditation sessions will help Artest find the peace in his mind. LOL
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

OshadowO wrote:
activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

``Where is that concern coming from?'' Bryant asked. ``Because he ran in the stands and kicked somebody's (butt)? You talk to anybody that played with him, he's a great teammate. He's never been a problem in the locker room. He had that one incident in Detroit, which was unfortunate. But outside of that, it's not a problem at all. '
'

It's not hype or BS. Artest has a long, documented history of odd behavior and problems with the law. He was convicted of domestic abuse; he had a dog taken away because he mistreated it; he showed up at a Pacers practice in a bathrobe, among other odd behavior that suggestes the need for medication (he has admitted in interviews that doctors have suggested he should be medicated for his mental condition). His teammates have generally spoken positively of him but it's patently unfalse that the brawl in Detroit is the only black mark in his career

Yah but if you look at his track record since he came back from the suspension it's pretty clean.

Um, which suspension? The suspension for the Pistons brawl in 2004? Or the suspension in the 2007-2008 season following his conviction for domestic abuse?

Oh, and yeah he did get ejected from two playoff games in May 2009. But you're right -- his track record over the past two months has been spotless.

Hey, Artest is a talented player and he might work out. But that doesn't mean we have to pretend the guy hasn't been involved in a whole mess of trouble, just because he's on our team now and it makes us feel better to pretend.
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

hollyweird wrote:
activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

'

Outside of the dog thing, I don't give a shi1t. The domestic abuse was mutual. Does that make it 'right,'? No. But I don't really care.

"The domestic abuse was mutual" ... ? Hmm, it's a good thing you're not Artest's attorney -- Ron would still be in jail with that defense.

And, yes, the fact that you don't "give a shi1t" about something that happened certainly proves its "hype and BS."

You know, I don't give a "shi1t" about gravity, so you'll agree that anyone who insists gravity exists is just giving us "hype and BS."

Yours is a powerful brain.
LA_Lakers_Rule
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
I think Kobe was just being nice about it. He knows that Artest is an upgrade over Trevor.

And Artest... Is crazy. But he's a great teammate.

I agree with your POV...

It clearly is an upgrade in the short term (and Kobe knows this)... Kobe's being "cool" with his diplomacy.... and as far as a "teammate" this is not an issue for Artest... what is at issue of course is his occasional "odd" behavior that can clash with either the league or the coaching staff but that does not generally create problems with "teammates"...

Of course if were talking "longer term" then losing Ariza does hurt however... no doubt about that... but I think we all know Kobe's career is on a "short term" track so I can't see why Kobe wouldn't be absolutely ecstatic about getting Artest at this time...

Good judgment comes from experience and a lot of that comes from bad judgment. - Will Rogers ...
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

activeverb wrote:
OshadowO wrote:
activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

'

Um, which suspension? The suspension for the Pistons brawl in 2004? Or the suspension in the 2007-2008 season following his conviction for domestic abuse?

Oh, and yeah he did get ejected from two playoff games in May 2009. But you're right -- his track record over the past two months has been spotless.

Hey, Artest is a talented player and he might work out. But that doesn't mean we have to pretend the guy hasn't been involved in a whole mess of trouble, just because he's on our team now and it makes us feel better to pretend.

I don't disagree with anything you are saying except this. Are you really going to use those ejections as proof that Artest is crazy? Well, watch out because we have unstable, violent Derek Fisher on our team and he is going to destabilize our perfect chemistry.
targetman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

'

Outside of the dog thing, I don't give a shi1t. The domestic abuse was mutual. Does that make it 'right,'? No. But I don't really care.

"The domestic abuse was mutual" ... ? Hmm, it's a good thing you're not Artest's attorney -- Ron would still be in jail with that defense.

[Artest's wife] also said she broke the windshield of the family's Hummer as Artest tried to drive away from the property, according to a recording of her call released by the sheriff's department.

Why would you try to prevent someone from getting away from you if you aren't part of the problem?

Last edited by targetman on Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total
re4ee
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Kobe speaks! about Artest and Ariza

heheh1 wrote:
activeverb wrote:
hollyweird wrote:
KOBEGASOL wrote:

'

We're talking about team chemistry which means how he deals with TEAMMATES.

Give me an example of how all this media hype about artest is true?
What is this "media hype" y'all are babbling about?

Do you mean the reports that he appears to be "unstable"?
That is clearly the case, no need for any "hype" to convince anyone of what they can clearly see with their own eyes!

What else has the "media" "hyped" about Artest? The most often thing written about RonRon is that he is "one of the premier defenders in the NBA". So is that "hyped"? Because, if so, the Lakers were sold a bill of goods under false pretenses.

Jermaine O'Neal was one of Ron's TEAMMATES, who felt dissed when he demanded out of IND, and stated that the two would never be able to play together. So, was that particular story just "media hype", or was JO only to blame for that incident?

Let's not pretend that this man's past no longer exists or is relevant just because he's now (potentially) on the Lakers' roster. Why did so many here blame him for Houston's loss to LAL in the playoffs, with views such as his freezing the HOU offense by stopping the ball movement and holding it too long. Or that his loss of focus when he started jawing with Kobe hurt the Rockets' chances.

Don't kid yourselves, this IS the same Ron Artest, changing the color of his jersey won't make the voices in his head go silent, won't make him become a better sharer of the ball, and won't prevent his bizarre reactions to minor annoyances in games. The P&G won't shield him from the focus of referees, and prevent him from technicals and ejections.

I agree that he has incredible talent which may help enormously, but there are no halos and wings issued with that Laker uniform, and he IS still Ron Artest.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: