kobe as a coach

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trish1999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: kobe as a coach

Quote:
Bryant said although he did some sporadic coaching in the last playoffs, he’s sticking it out as a player – not even as a playing coach like Bill Russell when Red Auerbach handed over the Boston reins to the prized center.

“No way I’ll ever be a playing coach,” said Bryant. “It’s hard enough to be a player. I still need to work 10 times harder as a player. If I take on the added responsibility of coaching, I just won’t have time to do other things. I certainly wouldn’t have time left for my family. Will I coach after playing? No, no. That’s not for me.”

Last edited by trish1999 on Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total
KOBEGASOL
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject:

ok
ayaz3d
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject:

Thanks.
postandpivot
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: kobe as a coach

trish1999 wrote:
Quote:
Bryant said although he did some sporadic coaching in the last playoffs, he’s sticking it out as a player – not even as a playing coach like Bill Russell when Red Auerbach handed over the Boston reins to the prized center.

“No way I’ll ever be a playing coach,” said Bryant. “It’s hard enough to be a player. I still need to work 10 times harder as a player. If I take on the added responsibility of coaching, I just won’t have time to do other things. I certainly wouldn’t have time left for my family. Will I coach after playing? No, no. That’s not for me.”

doesn't matter what he says. if its his destiny. he can't stop it. LOL

dick Vitale wanted to be a coach forever and didn't want to commentate.

guess who he is? one of the all time great college commentators.
bs0ng
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:15 am    Post subject:

Well I guess that settles it then.
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject:

Makes sense.

Take a look at all of the work he puts into just getting himself ready for a game.

Nobody would ever want to play for him. If the practice and workout demands didn't kill them, the homework would.

Dude acts like this is his job or something.
Half Baked Hero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:31 am    Post subject:

Hector the Pup wrote:
Makes sense.

Take a look at all of the work he puts into just getting himself ready for a game.

Nobody would ever want to play for him. If the practice and workout demands didn't kill them, the homework would.

I know, maybe someone needs to tell him to relax, it's a just game. Jeez.
TNLakersFanInLA
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: kobe as a coach

trish1999 wrote:
Quote:

Monta Ellis: "Kobe is #1, I'm #2, LeBron is #3."
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: kobe as a coach

postandpivot wrote:
trish1999 wrote:
Quote:
Will I coach after playing? No, no. That’s not for me.”

doesn't matter what he says. if its his destiny. he can't stop it. LOL
dick Vitale wanted to be a coach forever and didn't want to commentate.
guess who he is? one of the all time great college commentators.

Ittt's Serendipity Baaaaby!
Free_Kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject:

Half Baked Hero wrote:
Hector the Pup wrote:
Makes sense.

I know, maybe someone needs to tell him to relax, it's a just game. Jeez.

I think he was talking about practice...not a game!!! not a game, not a game!
he was talking about practice!
activeverb
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:26 pm    Post subject: Re: kobe as a coach

trish1999 wrote:
Quote:

Well, the rules don't allow for player coaches anymore, so that's a given.

I don't see him as a coach, and I don't think he'd be a good one.
LSULaker
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject:

While Kobe may know and understand the in's and out's of basketball better than any current player in the league, I really doubt he could ever be a coach and keep his sanity. He is one of the greatest players ever, so just imagine how difficult it would be to coach a bunch of players who can't come close to his level. He would have unrealistic expectations for everyone IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
salvosation
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:00 pm    Post subject:

LSULaker wrote:
While Kobe may know and understand the in's and out's of basketball better than any current player in the league, I really doubt he could ever be a coach and keep his sanity. He is one of the greatest players ever, so just imagine how difficult it would be to coach a bunch of players who can't come close to his level. He would have unrealistic expectations for everyone IMO.

Just like most legendary players before him.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject:

i think hes too competitive to coach players. kobe wants to win so badly that one loss devestates him. in the game of coaching you need to have a level head. i dont think kobe can keep that level of calm for 4+ years etc. he might go bob knight on someone lol
Clutch44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject:

Quote:

Kobe prides himself on being a student of the game and given his statement regarding coaching I would have to say he knows his limitations. We've had this discussion a number of times in the past and it's been brought up that extremely driven players make terrible coaches. Jerry West and Magic Johnson are two examples that come to mind. While people are quick to dismiss Phil's accomplishments because he had great players, the trick is to get the most out of each player and Phil is a master of that. Both Phil and Riles were role players for their teams and have shown the abilities to work with both stars and roles players in getting the job done. If you asked me, I think that Luke would be a good coach once he finished playing as he has a high basketball IQ and good people skills.
manber34
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject:

Clutch44 wrote:
Quote:

Kobe prides himself on being a student of the game and given his statement regarding coaching I would have to say he knows his limitations. We've had this discussion a number of times in the past and it's been brought up that extremely driven players make terrible coaches. Jerry West and Magic Johnson are two examples that come to mind. While people are quick to dismiss Phil's accomplishments because he had great players, the trick is to get the most out of each player and Phil is a master of that. Both Phil and Riles were role players for their teams and have shown the abilities to work with both stars and roles players in getting the job done. If you asked me, I think that Luke would be a good coach once he finished playing as he has a high basketball IQ and good people skills.

Yeah, Luke and DFish would probably make great coaches in the future...book it!
melo061
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:30 pm    Post subject:

So Kobe does know his limits? ...

Perfect music.
kaoss128
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:12 am    Post subject:

I honestly believe Kobe would make a great coach.
LakersBooster
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Re: kobe as a coach

TNLakersFanInLA wrote:
trish1999 wrote:
Quote:

RoboKOB!!!!
trish1999
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: kobe as a coach

activeverb wrote:
trish1999 wrote:
Quote:

Well, the rules don't allow for player coaches anymore, so that's a given.

I don't see him as a coach, and I don't think he'd be a good one.

maybe kobe will consider it to add rings to this cap..imho
Master)v(ind
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:45 am    Post subject:

i want to see kobe as a coach
“A story about Kobe is the first time they went to be fitted for their USA uniforms and Kobe starts crying. The equipment person asks him what happened and Kobe was like, man, you don’t understand, I’ve dreamed of playing for my country."
kemi4kobes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject:

Imagine Kobe trying to teach a Kwame like player how to hold on to the ball when catching a pass in the paint from the SG on the team.

Good thing Kobe knows his limitations. Coaching would drive him nuts IMO. Especially when trying to coach knucklehead players who might not care as much as he does about the game.
"I wish I could draw a picture of the look on their faces..... For a time, it was like he was on the court by himself. It's like God put Kobe here for us to watch him play basketball." - LO On KB8's Performance Against the Clips 07/01/06
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: