LakersGround Presents: Cap's Corner with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Goto page Previous  1, 2

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject:

guillermo0130 wrote:
davidse wrote:
i fully recognize the greatness of clifford and miles, but for my personal ear - chet baker.

oh, and great job DB

already posted my question on the first thread, so i don't see a point in doing it again, and i think questions from that thread should get considerred again with any new ones posted here.

Chet Baker's soulful vocal of "My Funny Valentine" is still my personal favorite.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNaXMoAXYYs
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject:

kaoss128 wrote:
Where would you rank Kobe among the all time greats?

Good question!
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:03 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
davidse wrote:
i fully recognize the greatness of clifford and miles, but for my personal ear - chet baker.

oh, and great job DB

already posted my question on the first thread, so i don't see a point in doing it again, and i think questions from that thread should get considerred again with any new ones posted here.

KBCB and I were going round and round on the jazz question in OT. Glad DB asked it, not liking the answer though. I still have a 78 rpm of Chet Baker Sings.

KAJ is old school and you could tell from the answer that he tried to give Miles his props because Miles was truly one of the 3 or 4 most influential Jazz figures ever. But in the end, he had to give it up to Clifford as a horn player.

Don't feel bad my man Jodeke, ain't taking nothing away from Miles to put him a little behind Clifford, every Jazz trumpet players knows the score.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject:

KobeBryantCliffordBrown wrote:
davidse wrote:

oh, and great job DB

I have a huge Jazz framed photo gallery in my house. This pic is in there.....

http://www.radio-oh.com/jazz_about/trumpet/pic/chetbaker.jpg

wow ! a beauty.
never seen that one before.

i do have to admit though, that musicaly - i much prefer the older broken down version of chet.
hate to say it - but it took his music to a whole different level (for me anyway...).
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject:

guillermo0130 wrote:
davidse wrote:

oh, and great job DB

Chet Baker's soulful vocal of "My Funny Valentine" is still my personal favorite.

My Funny Valentine from Chet Baker Sings
Chet was addicted to heroin. I think he fell out of a window while high and killed himself. His renditions weren't in the Miles or Clifford class who were the Charlie Parker and John Coletrane of their instruments.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
davidse
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:45 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
guillermo0130 wrote:
davidse wrote:

oh, and great job DB

Chet was addicted to heroin. I think he fell out of a window while high and killed himself. His renditions weren't in the Miles or Clifford class who were the Charlie Parker and John Coletrane of their instruments.

if you want to hear the best version of that song, look for the 9 minute version chet performs live - many years later.
it's on a totaly different level.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:14 am    Post subject:

davidse wrote:
jodeke wrote:
guillermo0130 wrote:
davidse wrote:

oh, and great job DB

if you want to hear the best version of that song, look for the 9 minute version chet performs live - many years later.
it's on a totaly different level.

I have it. I download from 360 Share Pro. It's a legal site. I don't download enough to be monitored.
Bye the Bye
It is a different version, shows more versatility.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

Location: Born and Raised in Los Angeles, now living in Manhattan, NY.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
Bballguru5000 wrote:
Right on about Clifford Brown. Cap knows his jazz.

Good question, Just Ming.

My question would be:

How can Andrew Bynum now break through to the next level and cement his presence as one of the top centers in the NBA? What does he have to work on to get there?

Now come on BBG, you KNOW that was MY question DB put up into KAJ's ear. Ain't nothing a Jazz fan likes talking more than Jazz.

Oh, I knew the second I read that question that you had asked it. I was just saying the question Just-Ming asked about which books Phil suggests also a good question. The Cliff-Miles question I was 100% sure had come from you.

Damn skippy. I met KAJ once a long time ago, before I ever was into Jazz. I can't wait to meet him again. BTW, I respect Cap more than I do any NBA player past or present.

I have a lot of respect for the Cap, as well. There would have to be something wrong with anyone who doesn't respect him. He's carried himself with class both on and off the court.
Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject:

davidse wrote:

oh, and great job DB

That's a hell of an image. Do you have the picture on your avatar framed, too?
ssiknick833
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:14 pm    Post subject:

it's a crime that Kareem has not had a chance to be a head coach in the NBA.
RedSnapper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 9:32 am    Post subject: More Jazz

Is Christian Scott poised to be "the Next Miles Davis"?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject:

Who's the most versatile player on the roster and how important is versatility to winning?

KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 11:34 pm    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
davidse wrote:

oh, and great job DB

Man, oh man. I tried forever to get a picture suitable for framing of Clifford. Tracked down his son who is a Jazz DJ in San Jose, used a contact to get him on the phone. He told me he could send a poster, never did. Went to every website I could find, no Clifford Brown. Finally, I had a local artist do a charcoal of This pic.....

http://dkpresents.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/clifford_brown.jpg
Alpha

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:51 am    Post subject:

Now come on BBG, you KNOW that was MY question DB put up into KAJ's ear. Ain't nothing a Jazz fan likes talking more than Jazz.

I KNEW IT!

Go find a Utah board you troll!!!

j/p, i like jazz as well.
KobeBryantCliffordBrown
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:

I KNEW IT!

I went to Utah once. They tried to burn me at the stake.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject:

Alpha wrote:

I KNEW IT!

Consider it a compliment. They could have just invited you to live there, which is far worse...

I went to Utah once. They tried to burn me at the stake.

Bballguru5000
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject:

Bballguru5000 wrote:
davidse wrote:

oh, and great job DB

Man, oh man. I tried forever to get a picture suitable for framing of Clifford. Tracked down his son who is a Jazz DJ in San Jose, used a contact to get him on the phone. He told me he could send a poster, never did. Went to every website I could find, no Clifford Brown. Finally, I had a local artist do a charcoal of This pic.....

http://dkpresents.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/clifford_brown.jpg

That's a great image. It's a bit odd that you can't find a single picture of Cliffy out there to frame. I've never seen a picture (postcard or poster) of his in any shop in the States. There was one shop in Paris that had images of his. Mini-posters. The card stock 8.5 X 11 inch variety. Next time I'm in the city of lights, I'll definitely look out for one to find you. Or anywhere else I frequent.

So which others do you have up on your walls?
Cha*n
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject:

What a great site Cap has.

What a great person he is.

I'd love to see him coach the Lakers someday.

I'd love to attend a class on Jazz taught by him.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: