Panic in Hawaii After Ballistic Missile Text Sent to Citizens
Goto page 1, 2  Next

 
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 23003

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:10 pm    Post subject: Panic in Hawaii After Ballistic Missile Text Sent to Citizens

Anyone hear about this? Hot damn, I would have freaked out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/us/hawaii-missile.html

Basically, everyone received one of those emergency alert messages on their phones that said...

Quote:
BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.


People were freaking out, thinking they were going to die. Damn.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 5115

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:55 pm    Post subject:

Would be very interesting where the truth is in the whole matter

Read some guy claimed it was his fault..but is that the truth

Hell of a fun game for hackers if they figured it out
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 30978

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Panic in Hawaii After Ballistic Missile Text Sent to Citizens

ringfinger wrote:
Anyone hear about this? Hot damn, I would have freaked out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/us/hawaii-missile.html

Basically, everyone received one of those emergency alert messages on their phones that said...

Quote:
BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.


People were freaking out, thinking they were going to die. Damn.


Unless you have your own personal bunker, I don't think duck and cover is gonna do much against a nuclear weapon.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ringfinger
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 08 Oct 2013
Posts: 23003

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Panic in Hawaii After Ballistic Missile Text Sent to Citizens

lakersken80 wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
Anyone hear about this? Hot damn, I would have freaked out.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/13/us/hawaii-missile.html

Basically, everyone received one of those emergency alert messages on their phones that said...

Quote:
BALLISTIC MISSILE THREAT INBOUND TO HAWAII. SEEK IMMEDIATE SHELTER. THIS IS NOT A DRILL.


People were freaking out, thinking they were going to die. Damn.


Unless you have your own personal bunker, I don't think duck and cover is gonna do much against a nuclear weapon.


Yeah. I mean what exactly can you do? Heard ppl were freaking out, some stories of people putting their kids in manholes and stuff. I mean, this went to the entire state. It was 38 mins before a followup message saying false alarm was sent.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 8871

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject:

duck? cover?...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpFIw_CngUE&ab_channel=dac10012
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
sickside323
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 04 Dec 2008
Posts: 1454
Location: East Los Angeles, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:54 am    Post subject:

someone posted a picture on Twitter of themselves and a large group hunkering down in their hotel basement...and Magic Johnson was down there with them.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
VicXLakers
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 08 Feb 2006
Posts: 8871

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:09 pm    Post subject:

kinda reminds me of second grade...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41826

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
Would be very interesting where the truth is in the whole matter

Read some guy claimed it was his fault..but is that the truth


The truth is the state of Hawaii embarrassed itself very badly with an unbelievable gaffe.

Yes might be a good idea to have some safeguards in place to avoid a false nuclear attack alert Brahs.....hang loose.
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 24 Oct 2001
Posts: 41826

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 2:50 pm    Post subject:

sickside323 wrote:
someone posted a picture on Twitter of themselves and a large group hunkering down in their hotel basement...and Magic Johnson was down there with them.


Then they were 100% safe because Magic always wins!
_________________
Love, Laker Lanny
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 5115

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject:

LakerLanny wrote:
sickside323 wrote:
someone posted a picture on Twitter of themselves and a large group hunkering down in their hotel basement...and Magic Johnson was down there with them.


Then they were 100% safe because Magic always wins!


I know he influenced my own smile some..

At least they had some dude down there that beat HIV? and was probably SMILING most of the time..
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hammett
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 20 Dec 2008
Posts: 6633

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject:

The kid who cried wolf...

Now, when there is a real alert, people are going to ignore it. Good going, guys.
_________________
"Keep looking at me like that and I'll turn Suplex City into Mizney World."
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 30 Apr 2001
Posts: 6648

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:26 am    Post subject:

Will anyone survive an ICBM attack on Hawaii? What's the point of getting an alarm? I'd rather not know or expect it and just end it. The only thing I get out of the warning is if you have time to seek your loved ones and meet the end together, which in itself can be really horrific.
_________________
“Properly read, the bible is the most potent force for atheism ever conceived.”
― Isaac Asimov
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9768

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

Japan got fake N.Kore nuke warning too now

Hacker?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Hector the Pup
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 25 Jul 2002
Posts: 34469
Location: L.A.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 am    Post subject:

Buck32 wrote:
Will anyone survive an ICBM attack on Hawaii? What's the point of getting an alarm? I'd rather not know or expect it and just end it. The only thing I get out of the warning is if you have time to seek your loved ones and meet the end together, which in itself can be really horrific.


Nope, but the unlucky ones will live a bit longer.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number


Joined: 10 Dec 2006
Posts: 41585
Location: Making a safety stop at 15 feet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am    Post subject:

Hammett wrote:
The kid who cried wolf...

Now, when there is a real alert, people are going to ignore it. Good going, guys.


It's not like there would be much you can do if you didn't ignore it.

The thing that strikes me most about this story is that if this had happened a year and a half ago, people would have been "WTF? is this some kind of sick joke?" and not have believed it was really possible.

Thanks to our current PO(tu)S and the climate of aggression and fear of nuclear war becoming a plausible reality, people now take this kind of thing as a genuine possibility.
_________________
You thought God was an architect, now you know
He’s something like a pipe bomb ready to blow
And everything you built that’s all for show
goes up in flames
In 24 frames


Jason Isbell
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 5115

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:13 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Japan got fake N.Kore nuke warning too now

Hacker?


Real?

I don't believe a government employee accidentally hit the mother of all buttons

I do believe hackers would love to show they can control essential emergency services
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9768

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:41 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
governator wrote:
Japan got fake N.Kore nuke warning too now

Hacker?


Real?

I don't believe a government employee accidentally hit the mother of all buttons

I do believe hackers would love to show they can control essential emergency services

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/world/asia/japan-hawaii-alert.html

they said it was a staff error
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Aeneas Hunter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Posts: 21387

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:53 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
governator wrote:
Japan got fake N.Kore nuke warning too now

Hacker?


Real?

I don't believe a government employee accidentally hit the mother of all buttons

I do believe hackers would love to show they can control essential emergency services


One of my first reactions was to wonder whether North Korean hackers were behind this. If so, it was brilliant.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
ContagiousInspiration
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 07 May 2014
Posts: 5115

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
governator wrote:
Japan got fake N.Kore nuke warning too now

Hacker?


Real?

I don't believe a government employee accidentally hit the mother of all buttons

I do believe hackers would love to show they can control essential emergency services

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/world/asia/japan-hawaii-alert.html

they said it was a staff error


Roflmfao

Two governments want us to believe something as impossible and so eerily connected is just coincidence?

Wonder what the Dotard is thinking lol
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 19838

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:43 am    Post subject:

lets just pretend that NK has the capability to launch a full blown assault on the US and its allies. if they do, who will have their back? how can they sustain? why would Kim Jong destroy his isolated paradise with an attack that no one will support? doesn't make any sense.

and if we flip this around and the USA attacks NK, who will join us in that fight?

I personally don't think a war between a sovereign nation like NK will ever happen. neither do I think a war between 2 large economic powers will happen. There is just too much to lose for both sides
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9768

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

999 wrote:
lets just pretend that NK has the capability to launch a full blown assault on the US and its allies. if they do, who will have their back? how can they sustain? why would Kim Jong destroy his isolated paradise with an attack that no one will support? doesn't make any sense.

and if we flip this around and the USA attacks NK, who will join us in that fight?

I personally don't think a war between a sovereign nation like NK will ever happen. neither do I think a war between 2 large economic powers will happen. There is just too much to lose for both sides

I think China will join N.Korea. China can't have a US ally unified Korea right at their border
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9768

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:53 am    Post subject:

ContagiousInspiration wrote:
governator wrote:
ContagiousInspiration wrote:
governator wrote:
Japan got fake N.Kore nuke warning too now

Hacker?


Real?

I don't believe a government employee accidentally hit the mother of all buttons

I do believe hackers would love to show they can control essential emergency services

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/01/16/world/asia/japan-hawaii-alert.html

they said it was a staff error


Roflmfao

Two governments want us to believe something as impossible and so eerily connected is just coincidence?

Wonder what the Dotard is thinking lol

It does seem unlikely 2 separate countries made same error within days. If this is the work of N.Korea, it gives the sense of fear to both US and Japan without firing a single shot (leverage?)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 10 Jan 2016
Posts: 2820

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
999 wrote:
lets just pretend that NK has the capability to launch a full blown assault on the US and its allies. if they do, who will have their back? how can they sustain? why would Kim Jong destroy his isolated paradise with an attack that no one will support? doesn't make any sense.

and if we flip this around and the USA attacks NK, who will join us in that fight?

I personally don't think a war between a sovereign nation like NK will ever happen. neither do I think a war between 2 large economic powers will happen. There is just too much to lose for both sides

I think China will join N.Korea. China can't have a US ally unified Korea right at their border


China is in it for China. China isn't going to jump into a nuke war with their biggest trading partner to save NK
_________________
-------LUCKY-------
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
governator
Star Player
Star Player


Joined: 28 Jan 2006
Posts: 9768

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:28 am    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
999 wrote:
lets just pretend that NK has the capability to launch a full blown assault on the US and its allies. if they do, who will have their back? how can they sustain? why would Kim Jong destroy his isolated paradise with an attack that no one will support? doesn't make any sense.

and if we flip this around and the USA attacks NK, who will join us in that fight?

I personally don't think a war between a sovereign nation like NK will ever happen. neither do I think a war between 2 large economic powers will happen. There is just too much to lose for both sides

I think China will join N.Korea. China can't have a US ally unified Korea right at their border


China is in it for China. China isn't going to jump into a nuke war with their biggest trading partner to save NK

Disagree with you. The Kim family regime is possible because of China's assistance for decades. China will continue to support a divided Korea, as far as nuclear war, I'm not sure any country is ready/can say they would join in
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
999
Franchise Player
Franchise Player


Joined: 19 Oct 2006
Posts: 19838

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:02 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Lucky_Shot wrote:
governator wrote:
999 wrote:
lets just pretend that NK has the capability to launch a full blown assault on the US and its allies. if they do, who will have their back? how can they sustain? why would Kim Jong destroy his isolated paradise with an attack that no one will support? doesn't make any sense.

and if we flip this around and the USA attacks NK, who will join us in that fight?

I personally don't think a war between a sovereign nation like NK will ever happen. neither do I think a war between 2 large economic powers will happen. There is just too much to lose for both sides

I think China will join N.Korea. China can't have a US ally unified Korea right at their border


China is in it for China. China isn't going to jump into a nuke war with their biggest trading partner to save NK

Disagree with you. The Kim family regime is possible because of China's assistance for decades. China will continue to support a divided Korea, as far as nuclear war, I'm not sure any country is ready/can say they would join in


we spend more money with China than NK ever will. China is in it for China. they have no loyalty. China will side with which ever country that makes them rich
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Reply with quote
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to:  

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum






Graphics by uberzev
© 1995-2018 LakersGround.net. All Rights Reserved. Privacy Policy. Terms of Use.
LakersGround is an unofficial news source serving the fan community since 1995.
We are in no way associated with the Los Angeles Lakers or the National Basketball Association.


Powered by phpBB