Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about people calling Jerry West "Logo"?
Cool
91%
 91%  [ 83 ]
Not Cool
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 91

LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:34 am    Post subject: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

This is just for a little fun, but what do you think about the relatively recent nickname that people have been using for Jerry West (the greatest Laker ever imo)?
Ozendorph
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject:

I can't fathom why anybody would have a problem with that handle.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

LucasWhite wrote:
This is just for a little fun, but what do you think about the relatively recent nickname that people have been using for Jerry West (the greatest Laker ever imo)?

How old are you? By the nature of your question, obviously you don't realize where this nickname originated. He IS the NBA Logo. The picture of the little man on the basketball IS a captured image of him. People don't call him "Logo" just cuz it's cool or not cool. I'm not trying to put you down, just trying to educate you.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!
BossHossX
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:53 am    Post subject:

The irony here is that if only one guy voted for "Not Cool", it would be Jerry West
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

Laker_Dynasty wrote:
LucasWhite wrote:

How old are you? By the nature of your question, obviously you don't realize where this nickname originated. He IS the NBA Logo. The picture of the little man on the basketball IS a captured image of him. People don't call him "Logo" just cuz it's cool or not cool. I'm not trying to put you down, just trying to educate you.

That is just ridiculous with a capital R. I have studied Jerry West my entire life. He is my all-time favorite athlete, and I've known that the NBA logo was modeled after him as long as I can remember. I one time took a 6 hour trip to West Virginia just to see the place that he was born at. It's a huge valley where it gets dark at like 5:00 pm each day, and they have a sign up that says "The home of Jerry West". I've been a Laker since age 4, even in the down times aka the Sedale Threat era, and I always will be. Laker basketball is the only thing in sports that I really give a darn about.

Last edited by LucasWhite on Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:59 am; edited 1 time in total
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

LucasWhite wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
LucasWhite wrote:

That is just ridiculous with a capital R. I have studied Jerry West my entire life. He is my all-time favorite athlete, and I've known that the NBA logo was modeled after him as long as I can remember. I one time took a 6 hour trip to West Virginia just to see the place that he was born at. It's a huge valley where it gets dark at like 5:00 pm each day, and they have a sign up that says "The home of Jerry West".

And?
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:00 am    Post subject:

And what?
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:02 am    Post subject:

Also, if you ever want to compare Laker knowledge Laker_Dynasty, I'm up for it. I have more or less the entire media guide memorized and have seen many of the important games 10+ times. I respect you guys in LA, you're the best fans we've got. However, I guarantee you that I'm one of the top 100 Laker addicts on the east coast.
Mr. NBA Logo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject:

Remember:

Everyone who owns anything "NBA" carries a Laker with them!

What a legacy!!
Rambis31
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:49 am    Post subject:

He the NBA every admitted it was really him? If so, wouldn't they owe him a lot of money for using his image?
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:55 am    Post subject:

That's a good thought that the Celtics and even our lesser rivals like the Bulls, Spurs, etc wear a Laker on their jersey.
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:10 am    Post subject:

I'm OK with it
Coca James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 10:17 am    Post subject:

He's the logo..

"I have to be assertive, and if the ball doesn't go in, it gives us a good rebounding opportunity." - Kobe
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject:

Is water... wet?
Is black... dark?
Is OJ... guilty?
Is Jerry West... "the logo"?
Is Carrot top... funny? (well, maybe I went too far)
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:31 pm    Post subject:

Alright, I guess public opinion is against me, but it's a campy nickname in my opinion. It's even worse than Zeke from Cabin Creek.
MrClutch44
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 12:43 pm    Post subject:

JerryWest_44 wrote:
I'm OK with it

Good for me as well.

I'm sure my fellow poster, MrClutch and CabinCreek44, would be fine with it too
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersruhl
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 1:34 pm    Post subject:

he will always be Mr. Clutch to me.
TheGoldenChild
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject:

Mr. Clutch or The Logo

Mr. Jerry West.
Laker_Dynasty
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject:

LucasWhite wrote:
Also, if you ever want to compare Laker knowledge Laker_Dynasty, I'm up for it. I have more or less the entire media guide memorized and have seen many of the important games 10+ times. I respect you guys in LA, you're the best fans we've got. However, I guarantee you that I'm one of the top 100 Laker addicts on the east coast.

Not trying to doubt you or your Laker knowledge, but the phrasing of your question can only lead to the secondary question I posed? From initial reading of your poll and question, my first reaction was to wonder if you even knew where everybody was generating that knickname from?

Like I said, not trying to debate you or your knowledge of the Lakers. I was just basing it off the question posed in your poll

Quote:
...what do you think about the relatively recent nickname that people have been using for Jerry West (the greatest Laker ever imo)?

I don't think it really started as a cool/not-cool thing. I think it was more just a matter of which one do you choose and the realism of his likeness actually being the logo?

Regardless, no need to come at me like that. Just can't be sure because there are definitely a lot of kids on here that don't even understand what Jerry West was all about and how great of a player he was. In this case, I apologize if I mis-judged.

Time for the Lakers to create a whole new legacy! We want 10 more trophies boys!

Last edited by Laker_Dynasty on Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
LakerFan4Lyfe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 2:11 pm    Post subject:

lakersruhl wrote:
he will always be Mr. Clutch to me.

fo sho.. Mr. Clutch will always be Mr. Laker

i just hope he comes back as a Laker scout after his tenure as GM in Memphis
JIFISH
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 7:23 pm    Post subject:

BossHossX wrote:
The irony here is that if only one guy voted for "Not Cool", it would be Jerry West

Exactly. He has been quoted more than once as saying he hates the nickname. Which is why I don't think it's cool to call him that. Calling anyone by a name they don't like being called isn't cool, IMHO.

It's a great honor and a deserved one that he is the player in the NBA logo. But his career consists of so many accomplishments that are far more meaningful.
T3D
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:24 am    Post subject:

Jordans' sign should be the new logo
generic_one
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject:

JIFISH wrote:
It's a great honor and a deserved one that he is the player in the NBA logo. But his career consists of so many accomplishments that are far more meaningful.

"The Logo" sums up those accomplishments quite nicely, I think. Because of all of those accomplishments, his silhouette is the NBA logo. He also had a lot of things going for him besides being clutch, but I'm not going to argue with people for calling him "Mr. Clutch."

Why are you so annoyed about it? Do you think there should be someone else as the NBA logo?
hig
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject:

T3D wrote:
Jordans' sign should be the new logo

Oh brother.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:14 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

LucasWhite wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:
LucasWhite wrote:

That is just ridiculous with a capital R. I have studied Jerry West my entire life. He is my all-time favorite athlete, and I've known that the NBA logo was modeled after him as long as I can remember. I one time took a 6 hour trip to West Virginia just to see the place that he was born at. It's a huge valley where it gets dark at like 5:00 pm each day, and they have a sign up that says "The home of Jerry West". I've been a Laker since age 4, even in the down times aka the Sedale Threat era, and I always will be. Laker basketball is the only thing in sports that I really give a darn about.

Speaking of ridiculous......Cabin Creek, WV gets dark at the same time that the rest of the east coast gets dark.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: