Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think about people calling Jerry West "Logo"?
Cool
91%
 91%  [ 83 ]
Not Cool
8%
 8%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 91

Smel Counts
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject:

lakersruhl wrote:
he will always be Mr. Clutch to me.

DITTO!!!!!
Good enough for Chick is good enough for me.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:22 am    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

[quote="adkindo"][quote="LucasWhite"]
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Speaking of ridiculous......Cabin Creek, WV gets dark at the same time that the rest of the east coast gets dark.

Ask Jerry West if you don't believe me. It actually doesn't get dark at the time that it normally would because the mountains are so large. It's a little enclosed valley with large mountains and they block the sun prematurely. If you're on the ground where Jerry West grew up, it will get dark abnormally early every single day because of the mountains.

Of course, if you want to be so exact about things, the rest of the east coast doesn't get dark at the same time either.
T3D
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 10:58 am    Post subject:

hig wrote:
T3D wrote:
Jordans' sign should be the new logo

Oh brother.

You have a problem with that? That is where the game is now. Jordan helped bring the league back to life....
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 11:05 am    Post subject:

T3D wrote:
hig wrote:
T3D wrote:

Oh brother.

You have a problem with that? That is where the game is now. Jordan helped bring the league back to life....

WTF are you talking about? MJ is just as much yesterday's news as a player as Jerry, but what has Jordan contributed to the game since his retirement. JW has been a moderately successful coach and a phenomenal executive for how many years? Jordan tried it and failed so miserably that he stripped off his Clark Kent outfit in an attempt to help the franchise and found there was just another Clark Kent outfit underneath. Jordan was a great player, probably the greatest so far, but West has been a major contributor to the league in so many more ways in addition to being very nearly MJ's equal on the BBall court.
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Brought it back to life? The 80s was the peak of this league. Jordan succeeded in a time in which there was basically one good team. He had to wait until the Celtics and Pistons had faded and then he finally won the East.

Also, I don't care what anyone says. The "greatest player ever" question is still one that bears asking. I think Russell, Magic, Chamberlain, Abdul-Jabbar, and Jordan could each be considered the greatest depending on one's criteria.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

[quote="LucasWhite"][quote="adkindo"]
LucasWhite wrote:
Laker_Dynasty wrote:

Speaking of ridiculous......Cabin Creek, WV gets dark at the same time that the rest of the east coast gets dark.

Ask Jerry West if you don't believe me. It actually doesn't get dark at the time that it normally would because the mountains are so large. It's a little enclosed valley with large mountains and they block the sun prematurely. If you're on the ground where Jerry West grew up, it will get dark abnormally early every single day because of the mountains.

Of course, if you want to be so exact about things, the rest of the east coast doesn't get dark at the same time either.

Hate to argue over small things, but that is simply not true. I do not need to inquire with Mr. West since I was born and raised in the area........a bicycle ride, not a 6 hour drive for me. Stay there through undergraduate school, WV Tech, which is about 10 miles from Cabin Creek (also Mr. Threat's college). The mountains in WV, as well as the rest of the Appalachian mountains are not very big at all….actually they are more like hills in comparison with regions such as the Rocky Mountains…….take my word for it (23 years worth of days)……..or you could take another road trip.
CarlJohnson
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:33 pm    Post subject:

PrplReign wrote:
T3D wrote:
hig wrote:
T3D wrote:

Oh brother.

WTF are you talking about? MJ is just as much yesterday's news as a player as Jerry, but what has Jordan contributed to the game since his retirement. JW has been a moderately successful coach and a phenomenal executive for how many years? Jordan tried it and failed so miserably that he stripped off his Clark Kent outfit in an attempt to help the franchise and found there was just another Clark Kent outfit underneath. Jordan was a great player, probably the greatest so far, but West has been a major contributor to the league in so many more ways in addition to being very nearly MJ's equal on the BBall court.
I was with you until that point.
GailGoodrich25
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject:

T3D wrote:

Wrong place buddy... Chi town is east of here. Post that garbage there.
PrplReign
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:06 pm    Post subject:

CarlJohnson wrote:
PrplReign wrote:
T3D wrote:
hig wrote:
T3D wrote:

Oh brother.

I was with you until that point.

Oh, I am not saying he WAS his equal, just that the diparity is not as large as some revisionists would have you believe. Jerry West averaged 27 points, 6 Reb., 7Asst., and 2.6 stls. over a 14 year career. He is, without question, one of the premiere guards of all time.
Mr. NBA Logo
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject:

GailGoodrich25 wrote:
T3D wrote:

Wrong place buddy... Chi town is east of here. Post that garbage there.

^ Exactly!

Let Jordans logo adorn bras, panties and other stuff. NBA MERCHANDISE will FOREVER carry a Laker.

Got a Duncan Jersey?.......You carry a Laker
Got a Iverson Jersey?........You carry a Laker
Got a Wallace Jersey..........You carry a Laker

..and so on, and so on.

Heck, you cant even tear it off because if you do, you'll only admit to the fact that it was INDEED a Laker that complimented whatever godforsaken Jersey you had or have.

Sorry but thats a fact.

LONG LIVE LOGO!!!
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

adkindo wrote:

Hate to argue over small things, but that is simply not true. I do not need to inquire with Mr. West since I was born and raised in the area........a bicycle ride, not a 6 hour drive for me. Stay there through undergraduate school, WV Tech, which is about 10 miles from Cabin Creek (also Mr. Threat's college). The mountains in WV, as well as the rest of the Appalachian mountains are not very big at all….actually they are more like hills in comparison with regions such as the Rocky Mountains…….take my word for it (23 years worth of days)……..or you could take another road trip.

You were raised in the place that has the sign up that says "Home of Jerry West"? On CBS about 10-15 years ago, I saw Jerry West say himself that it got dark early where he grew up. That's why I thought that, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he said that. Are you saying that you were raised in that very place, the little town that has the "Home of Jerry West" sign up, and that it does not get dark early because of the mountains?
LucasWhite
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 3:37 pm    Post subject:

In the meantime, glad to see that we're now up to 8 not cool votes.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Poll: Calling Jerry West "Logo"

LucasWhite wrote:
adkindo wrote:

You were raised in the place that has the sign up that says "Home of Jerry West"? On CBS about 10-15 years ago, I saw Jerry West say himself that it got dark early where he grew up. That's why I thought that, and I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that he said that. Are you saying that you were raised in that very place, the little town that has the "Home of Jerry West" sign up, and that it does not get dark early because of the mountains?

To be honest the sign is on I-77 near the exit, but it is several miles to get to Cabin Creek......and yes I am from that area. Like I said, played ball at West Virginia Tech, which is just a few miles away........I do not know why he made that comment......maybe because it always feels "dark" in that area, like in no hope...LOL.....as you can see, after college.....I left quickly. West still has family there, and he is still discussed several times a week in every barber shop. He usually visits once in a while, but it is only known after he is gone. The Lakers are not mentioned much....more stories about his high school and college career.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: