Kobe v. Jordan: Bright Future for Kobe?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Kobe v. Jordan: Bright Future for Kobe?

Kobe and Jordan comparisons have long been a hot topic of the NBA. Apart from their spectacular play, Kobe and Jordan are always compared according to the number of championships they've won: Kobe's 3 to Jordan's 6.

Now that the Lakers have a young, stellar lineup, the chances that Kobe could win 3+ championships before retiring just got a whole lot better. As a die-hard Laker fan, I love the idea of more championships, but secondarily, as a Kobe fan, I'd love to see him net 4+ championships and surpass Jordan's 6.

Now for the questions: if Kobe wins 6 championships, does it perhaps put him on top in the Jordan v. Kobe debate? If he wins 7+ championships, does it end the discussion?

-------
I come into this argument biased as a Laker and Kobe fan, but I think that 6 championships (or more) would solidify him as the better legend. My only fear is that the media will downplay Jordan's supporting cast and harp on Bynum/Gasol/Odom to the point that Kobe looks like less of a champion. Doesn't anyone in the media realize that the Odom/Pippen comparisons are silly?
TheTalkOfTheArch
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject:

there'll be plenty to talk about once kobe hangs his shoes up. Lets just enjoy the ride. I try to avoid the Kobe V. Jordan debates and u should too u'll live longer.

but I do hope kobe gets...5-7 more championships
azamf
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject:

If Kobe wins more rings, he won't get as much credit as Jordan did. People/media will find a way to minimize Kobe's accomplishment by possibly saying something like... "well, Kobe has/had a better supporting cast", which is inaccurate, as we all know. Jordan had Scottie Pippin, one of the 50 greatest players and 4 time defensive player of the year along with whole bunch of rebounding titles in Rodman, to name just two players. Kobe does not have a single player that can match Pippen and Rodman.

people will say stupid things like Jordan made his teammates better, blah blah, but Kobe didn't...

I guess the true test will be history itself. Lets just enjoy it as it all unfolds...
Fan0Bynum17
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject:

Well he'll get more credit than he did with Shaq and I think that's what Kobe wants; he wants to be on a championship team but he doesn't want anyone's talent/ego being great or equal to his
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject:

We will know in 8 years. I think Kobe plays another 8 years. If Kobe ends up winning 7 titles, he will go down as the greatest basketball player to ever live. Keep in mind, MJ won his first title when he was 28. Kobe is 29 and already has 3. So with the potential and depth of this team right now, its not unrealistic to think that Kobe could win 4 titles in the next 8 years.
OX1947
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:04 pm    Post subject:

I do know this though, if Phillip wins one more title, HE WILL go down as the greatest head coach in professional basketball history. Not because of the titles but he will have essentially won with talent and re-built talent. And there is no way in hell you could argue with that....
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:05 pm    Post subject:

Jordan is more liked so no matter what Kobe does it wont be good enough.

- Andy Warhol
REPPIN 818
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Ko8e8ryant wrote:

Then again, Jordan was never caught boning a girl that wasn't his wife
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Kobe has a good change to get 4 more rings IMO...if he does that no doubt he is the best
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:13 pm    Post subject:

The debate will never end.

No matter what happens.

But thats part of the fun of talking sports. (Frustration too if that gets out of hand)

As long as the Lakers keep winning championships, I don't care what other people feel about it.

Also, as far as accomplishments go, the only ones that really matter to me are what someone does wearing a Laker uniform.
drzucchini
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
Ko8e8ryant wrote:

No, his infidelities were just quietly swept under the rug.
HyeLakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
Ko8e8ryant wrote:

I think he was, just not accused of rape so it was kept on the DL
DazedAndConfused
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 6:17 pm    Post subject:

Yup the biggest knock on Phil has been that he has always had superior talent. If he takes this squad to the promise land there can be no denying he is the greatest coach of all time in the NBA. He has molded guys like Farmar, Sasha, Turiaf, Bynum, and even Walton into excellent players.
Vadorojo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject:

OX1947 wrote:
We will know in 8 years. I think Kobe plays another 8 years. If Kobe ends up winning 7 titles, he will go down as the greatest basketball player to ever live. Keep in mind, MJ won his first title when he was 28. Kobe is 29 and already has 3. So with the potential and depth of this team right now, its not unrealistic to think that Kobe could win 4 titles in the next 8 years.

Man ... the very thought of 4 titles in 8 years makes me grin ear to ear ... and 7? Just imagine the Celtics fans: 16 championships vs. 21 championships. That would be so, so sweet.

I had forgotten that MJ won his 1st at 28 ... man ... if we can gel as a team and stay healthy, I don't see how we CAN'T win at that kind of pace. Phil

As other have pointed out, Jackson's legacy may also be solidified by these next few years. People can argue that the Shaq/Kobe championships were given to him thanks to the existing talent, but they can't argue about a championship run with the help of our young, P&G core! Let's hope our dreams come true!
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:03 pm    Post subject:

REPPIN 818 wrote:
Ko8e8ryant wrote:

yes he was

- Andy Warhol
Stylistic Stylez
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject:

Bill Russell said it best..."11 Rings, 10 fingers.."

Why can't America realize that falling in love with Kobe doesn't mean breaking up with Michael
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: