Gasol on Lakers: “I don't think it can get any better, actually.”

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardom
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Gasol on Lakers: “I don't think it can get any better, actually.”

Quote:
Gasol is ready to beef up Lakers
He gets taste of fans' fervor at LAX and a burger joint before joining new team. He expects to play Tuesday.
By Mike Bresnahan, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer
February 3, 2008
WASHINGTON -- And you think you've had busy days?

Pau Gasol woke up in Memphis on Friday morning, flew to Los Angeles for a physical exam, then flew back to catch up with the Lakers, arriving at the team hotel here 15 minutes before midnight.

It was all worth it to him. The newest member of the Lakers was already being recognized in only a few short hours on the ground in L.A..

"I had a taste of people's reaction today in L.A. at the few places that I'd been," he said. "At LAX, [fans took] a lot of pictures. I signed the L.A. Times a few times. Then the driver went to In-N-Out Burger next to the airport and people were crazy. They were really excited and they were really pulling for me and for the team. The expectations obviously are really high, and that's also exciting."

Exciting, yes. Overwhelming? No.

Some fans and analysts have already penciled in the Lakers for a championship run, but Gasol favored the slow-and-steady approach.

"There's still a lot of steps to take before getting to that championship-game possibility," he said. "Positioning in the playoffs is going to be crucial . . . because I think it's going to be pretty tight in the West. I'm just happy to have the opportunity to help the Lakers move up and become a better and stronger team."

Gasol passed his physical but said he did not think he would play today against Washington. He has a sore back that kept him out of three of his last four Grizzlies games, and he is not overly familiar with the triangle offense, other than running against it a few times in practice when preparing to play the Lakers.

"It's just getting to know everybody and getting adjusted," he said, pointing to a more probable debut Tuesday in New Jersey.

In the end, he had finally arrived after a day that was long, travel-heavy and complete with a confidence-boost from Lakers fans.

It was a day that Gasol aptly said was "anything but quiet."

http://www.latimes.com/sports/basketball/nba/lakers/la-sp-gasol3feb03,1,3208129.story

Quote:
Gasol comes to the Lakers with ‘a lot of motivation'
He says his years of losing in Memphis bring him to the Lakers with a renewed energy for whatever it takes to reach team success.
By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

WASHINGTON -- In a game the Lakers won by 16 points a month ago in Memphis, Pau Gasol got the ball in the post. He got double-teamed by Lakers, so he looked to pass. He waited for his Grizzlies teammates to cut … and waited and waited.

Gasol wound up calling timeout and came off the court wearing a face contorted by exasperation that was no momentary mask. It reflected Gasol's deeply held feelings of frustration — and Gasol's time in the abyss of losing has run much longer and deeper than anything Kobe Bryant experienced with the Lakers in recent years.

“You get into a mindset that is not really positive,” Gasol said. “You kind of sink.”

From Bryant's perspective, Gasol's arrival and the championship possibilities can be viewed as signaling the final and full reason to stay a Laker.

“I would assume it would,” Lakers coach Phil Jackson said. “But that's his (Bryant's) bailiwick. He's got to work through that when the time comes. If we have success, I'm sure he'd want to be a part of it.”

From Gasol's perspective, it's the same but even more.

“I'm coming here with an open mind and an open heart and with a lot of motivation and a lot of willingness to do anything that it takes, because we know what's around the team and what kind of expectations are formed already,” he said.

“It's good. It's a great feeling. That's what I like to have. That's what I had most of my years with my (Spanish) national team before I got here to the NBA. And that's where I'm at now, which is incredible.”

Meeting with select reporters around midnight Eastern time almost immediately upon his arrival in Washington on Saturday night, Gasol said of coming to the Lakers: “I don't think it can get any better, actually.”

He had arrived from Los Angeles, where he passed his physical and stopped at a fast-food establishment near LAX for more than nourishment. He said he got a “taste” of Lakers fans' excitement with everyone recognizing him and talking championship.

“I'm ready to take the challenge, and I'm ready to improve myself and play at a great level,” Gasol said.

Gasol called Bryant “the best player in the league” and said his preferred position is power forward, his projected eventual position with the Lakers.

Although Jackson hinted that he wanted to send Gasol out to play this afternoon against the Wizards — even without any practice whatsoever with the Lakers — Gasol said he expected to debut Tuesday in New Jersey. Gasol missed three of the Grizzlies' past four games because of a sore lower back (inflammation of the facet joint).

JACKSON'S CHANCES

Jackson said he got a few congratulatory e-mails, one using a pun of “You're cooking with Gas-ol now” — but clearly grasping that Jackson has more talent to work with after lobbying repeatedly for more talent, particularly at power forward.

Jackson quickly pushed back from any discussion Saturday of the Lakers being a championship team now and said he wasn't even necessarily totally satisfied with the roster now:

“No, there are a few more things that I'd like to have. But I've been a guy who has just played the cards I've been dealt.”

Jackson recalled when he took over the Lakers in 1999 and had an unbalanced roster with no power forward, winding up with A.C. Green starting there.

“And we won a couple of championships,” Jackson said, “so what's there to complain about?”

NOTES

Jackson said he has no clearer projection of when Andrew Bynum will return, saying: “We'll know a lot more once all the swelling is out of Andrew's knee.” … In Memphis upon joining the Grizzlies, Javaris Crittenton said of the trade: “It is a blessing to be here. It's a better opportunity for me.”

No rebounds.... No rings - Pat Riley

We have to get some players that have that kind of aggressiveness that we need. - Phil Jackson
24KaratGold
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject:

I wonder how Pau liked his In-N-Out? One of the many benefits of playing for the Lakers
Ko8e8ryant
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:

24KaratGold wrote:

I wonder how Pau liked his In-N-Out? One of the many benefits of playing for the Lakers

I wish our players weren't eating In-N-Out

- Andy Warhol
Fearthefearer
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:

In-n-Out is healthy. No problem there. Just dont eat Fat Burger.
golden1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject:

Ko8e8ryant wrote:
24KaratGold wrote:

I wish our players weren't eating In-N-Out

But thats what a hamburger is all about!
PrestoDone
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject:

Fearthefearer wrote:

Actually Fat Burger and In-N-Out are probably as healthy as burger joints get....just don't get him a taste for Carls Jr. or Jack in the Box...

Xbox360 Gamer Tag: PrestoDone
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
drew4lakers
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject:

This is a guy who just got off the plane and was looking for a quick bite to eat and probably figured he could slip through unnoticed. No worries here - the guy doesn't seem like weight is an issue.
We're not talking Shawn Kemp or Oliver Miller.

All that aside, its great to hear his fire and enthusiasm.

MAXIMUS!
ishi331
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject:

21_Blessings
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:46 pm    Post subject:

PrestoDone wrote:
Fearthefearer wrote:

Actually Fat Burger and In-N-Out are probably as healthy as burger joints get....just don't get him a taste for Carls Jr. or Jack in the Box...

Actually, the BBQ grilled chicken on wheat bun they have at Carls JR. is healthier than anything In N Out serves.

Also have have good chicken salad.
skin
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject:

let them eat watever they want
numero-ocho
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:11 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure he's ecstatic to be out of Memphis. Didn't realize he was so disliked there.

Heisley Inteview

Quote:
I traded Pau for a couple of reasons. There's been some negative reaction to Pau in the community, which I tried to alleviate and it didn't have a lot of effect.

Quote:
...I don't think with the way people felt about Pau and the way the team was performing we could stay the course.

Quote:
I've got people who say to me that they would never buy a ticket because Pau's here.

gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 5:14 pm    Post subject:

skin wrote:
let them eat watever they want

You must be the president of Shaq's Fan Club.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: