LakersGround.net To Go | LA Lakers Lounge


Phil Jackson advising Lakers Ownership in Coaching Search

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Phil Jackson advising Lakers Ownership in Coaching Search 
Author: Nash Vegas 
Posted: 05/03 9:01 PM 
 
Been a while since we’ve talked about Phil Jackson on here, good ‘ol Jeanie being in love with the past!

Quote:
Los Angeles Lakers are once again turning to Phil Jackson for advice on how to proceed, this time with their ongoing coaching search.

The Athletic notes that Jackson “has been in frequent contact with [Lakers governor] Jeanie Buss about team matters all season long,” and so it isn’t shocking that the team’s perpetually insular brain trust is once again turning inward for more advice from yet another figure from the organization’s past successes.

Adrian Wojnarowski of ESPN had this report:

“This is very much a committee in L.A. putting together this coaching search. And one person who is certainly significantly involved in this process is Phil Jackson. He’s got a voice in this. He did last time when they hired Frank Vogel. He and Kurt Rambis, (Vogel) had been somebody they had considered with the Knicks before hiring Derek Fisher in New York... They’re moving deliberately. They’re not doing seven or eight or nine candidates all at once. They’re kind of going down a list and taking their time with it. I think that process is going to take a bit.”


https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2022/5/3/23055722/lakers-rumors-phil-jackson-advising-coaching-search-report


 
Author: BynumForThree 
Posted: 05/03 9:05 PM 
 
Derek Fisher to the Lakers confirmed


 
Author: MJST 
Posted: 05/03 9:08 PM 
 
Remember when Jim didn't hire Phil as the Coach because Phil wanted to have Front Office decision making power and neither Jim nor Jerry wanted him to have it? And all the Lakers fans threw a hissy fit?

Notice how Jeanie(despite everything people told her about him being right) just gives it to him and Kurt now no matter who the GM is?

Jim and Mitch were the only thing that kept this stuff at bay. Which is why she did everything she could through the media, internally and even in pitches to sabotage them.


 
Author: epic_ 
Posted: 05/03 9:17 PM 
 
Phil and Kurt.
Best FO decision makers in history.

sigh.


 
Author: Cutheon 
Posted: 05/03 9:27 PM 
 
I trust PJ way more than I trust Rambis. Not sure why all the consternation - sounds like he probably had a hand in advising they select Vogel, who turned out to be a great choice.


 
Author: bluehill 
Posted: 05/03 9:28 PM 
 
That's nice. Phil has a good track record picking coaches.

Man Jeanie is stuck in the past. Showtime and the Lake Show - that's all she can see, except for Jerry West, who despite his age seems pretty current on today's NBA.

Well, the triangle could be better for older players. Too bad Phil hates 3 pointers.


 
Author: SGV-Laker fan 
Posted: 05/03 9:32 PM 
 
LOL it's like clock work with this ownership, rinse and repeat the old retreats. Phil Jackson? why not Randy Pfund and Dunleavy? if Jeannie Buss or Rambis are reading this, no, that was a sarcastic comment, don't call them up yet.


 
Author: SGV-Laker fan 
Posted: 05/03 9:35 PM 
 
Cutheon wrote:
I trust PJ way more than I trust Rambis. Not sure why all the consternation - sounds like he probably had a hand in advising they select Vogel, who turned out to be a great choice.


LOL, you serious? Kurt Rambis IS Phil Jackson. Phil sent Kurt out to test the water, when water is fine, he'll jump right in. don't kid yourself, Phil jackson, Kurt Rambis and Magic Johnson are the REAL owners of this team, Jeannie Buss is just watching 80's Laker highlights and counting $$$.

i can guess the conversation between Kurt and phil when he was fired from the Knicks. Phil probably told Kurt not to worry, why be a head coach when you can run the Lakers, they have a sucker owner (Jeannie Buss) who would buy anything from anyone who had ties with the old Laker glory days.


 
Author: Aeneas Hunter 
Posted: 05/03 9:38 PM 
 
Cutheon wrote:
I trust PJ way more than I trust Rambis. Not sure why all the consternation - sounds like he probably had a hand in advising they select Vogel, who turned out to be a great choice.


Why? Seriously, why? I'm not saying that you should trust Rambis. But what has Phil Jackson done as an executive that makes you think that he has good judgment about hiring coaches? If you think that Vogel was a great choice, well, Rambis was supposedly the point man on the decision. I'm not sure that it's really a feather in his cap, given the mess with Lue. But why do you think that Phil Jackson has any expertise on these decisions, especially after what we saw with the Knicks?


 
Author: Vancouver Fan 
Posted: 05/03 9:40 PM 
 
Cutheon wrote:
I trust PJ way more than I trust Rambis. Not sure why all the consternation - sounds like he probably had a hand in advising they select Vogel, who turned out to be a great choice.
LOL.

There's really no hope left until new ownership happens. The Lakers I love are gone.


 
Author: KindCrippler2000 
Posted: 05/03 10:04 PM 
 
Hahaha. Who didn't see this coming?


 
Author: JUST-MING 
Posted: 05/03 10:07 PM 
 
This move could drive a wedge between Jeanie and Klutch


 
Author: Username 
Posted: 05/03 10:09 PM 
 
Total (bleep) show. The modern game has long since passed him by and he proved that in New York.

If they don't trust Pelinka to do the job, then they should fire him and find someone they do trust.


 
Author: SGV-Laker fan 
Posted: 05/03 10:11 PM 
 
JUST-MING wrote:
This move could drive a wedge between Jeanie and Klutch


hate Klutch all you want, but they're the only link between Lakers and current state of NBA. no doubt Phil would love to kick Klutch out of the picture so he can control the entire team, then what? this team will be even further away from construct a modern day NBA roster and system.


 
Author: RashardA 
Posted: 05/03 10:14 PM 
 
JUST-MING wrote:
This move could drive a wedge between Jeanie and Klutch



 
Author: CandyCanes 
Posted: 05/03 10:15 PM 
 
To be fair, Phil asked Kerr to be head coach of the Knicks before he got stuck with Fisher. So if he’d gotten his first choice, the Knicks would have gotten a good coach…


 
Author: CandyCanes 
Posted: 05/03 10:15 PM 
 
At least Rambis is not in charge of the Coach selection committee. He might pull a Cheney and pick himself as coach.


 
Author: Inspector Gadget 
Posted: 05/03 10:21 PM 
 
Klutch and the Lakers FO are at a impasse right now in their relationship, Phil advising the coaching hire all but tells me that Klutch has lost a lot of power, wouldn’t surprise me if Klutch and LeBron both leave this summer while we give Phil more power.


 
Author: vasashi17+ 
Posted: 05/03 10:25 PM 
 
Sure looks like Phil has softened his stance with Bron & his “posse”.

Melo finally came thru, right? And Phil’s ev n befriended klutch klients now…so there’s that.

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/nick-nurse-tells-the-story-of-how-be-befriended-his-idol-phil-jackson-202212146.html

What’s weird is that they didn’t come to terms with Lue before. I thought dude was part of the triangle tree. Either way, I hope they get this one right, but I ain’t holding my breath…this sage is starting to burn my lungs. 😉


 
Author: SGV-Laker fan 
Posted: 05/03 10:25 PM 
 
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Klutch and the Lakers FO are at a impasse right now in their relationship, Phil advising the coaching hire all but tells me that Klutch has lost a lot of power, wouldn’t surprise me if Klutch and LeBron both leave this summer while we give Phil more power.


it's like picking your poison for laker fans. even more frustrating is the solution is very simple, just dump all ex-Laker aka Jeannie's friends and hire a real president of basketball operations. but Jeannie just couldn't do it, she needs familiarity around her.


 
Author: Inspector Gadget 
Posted: 05/03 10:27 PM 
 
SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
Klutch and the Lakers FO are at a impasse right now in their relationship, Phil advising the coaching hire all but tells me that Klutch has lost a lot of power, wouldn’t surprise me if Klutch and LeBron both leave this summer while we give Phil more power.


it's like picking your poison for laker fans. even more frustrating is the solution is very simple, just dump all ex-Laker aka Jeannie's friends and hire a real president of basketball operations. but Jeannie just couldn't do it, she needs familiarity around her.


The writing is on the wall, Pelinka is gonna get fired and Phil Jackson is gonna be the new president of basketball ops.


 
Author: Halflife 
Posted: 05/03 10:28 PM 
 
didnt PJ want vogel in NY before the jazz guy got job?


 
Author: oaktown_dimond 
Posted: 05/03 10:34 PM 
 
i was surprised Fish didn't become a solid coach. i mean banging teammates wives probably wasn't a great look... but was he really that bad of a coach? that knicks roster sucked ass anyway.

he did okay with the sparks, right? how is he as GM of the sparks too?


 
Author: dont_be_a_wuss 
Posted: 05/03 10:37 PM 
 
oaktown_dimond wrote:
i was surprised Fish didn't become a solid coach. i mean banging teammates wives probably wasn't a great look... but was he really that bad of a coach? that knicks roster sucked ass anyway.


He took the Sparks to the semi finals his first year.


 
Author: oaktown_dimond 
Posted: 05/03 10:38 PM 
 
beat me to it!

so... should we give Fish a second shot at the NBA (at least interview him)? or you'd all rather have quinn, marc jackson, etc?

dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
oaktown_dimond wrote:
i was surprised Fish didn't become a solid coach. i mean banging teammates wives probably wasn't a great look... but was he really that bad of a coach? that knicks roster sucked ass anyway.


He took the Sparks to the semi finals his first year.

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next


LakersGround.net To Go | LA Lakers Lounge