Santa Barbara Gauchos

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Santa Barbara Gauchos

GM: Jeffs
Coach: Pat Riley (81-90); Not to be confused with Pat Riley (90-present), who thinks that D-Wade is the most talented player he has ever coached, and has thus clearly had his body taken over by aliens.

Starters:

PG: "Mr. Clutch" Jerry West (71-72) - 27M
Height: 6' 2'' Weight: 175
25.8 PPG, 47.7% FG, 81.4% FT, 41% 3ptFG, 4.2 RPG, 9.7 APG, 2.8 SPG)
All-Star | All-NBA First Team | NBA All-Defense First Team | NBA Champion (69 win team, 33 game win streak)

Quote:
Combine a deadly jump shot, tenacious defense, obsessive perfectionism, unabashed confidence, and an uncompromising will to win, and you've got Jerry West, one of the greatest guards in NBA history.

When the chips were down, West, with his lightning-quick release, was the guy the Lakers turned to for the big basket. Many players have been tagged with the nickname "Mr. Clutch," but none of them lived up to it as well as West did.

Despite a level of intensity so high it could melt lead, West was one of the most admired and well-liked figures in professional basketball. His ferocity rarely, if ever, rubbed players, coaches or fans the wrong way. After the Lakers' heartbreaking loss to the Boston Celtics in the 1969 NBA Finals, John Havlicek walked up to West and said, "Jerry, I love you." Such comments were not uncommon.

SG: John "Hondo" Havlicek (71-72) - 23M
Height: 6' 5'' Weight: 203
27.5 PPG, 45.8% FG, 83.4% FT, 36% 3ptFG, 8.2 RPG, 7.5 APG, 1.4 SPG
All-Star | All-NBA First Team | NBA All-Defense First Team

Quote:
"On stamina alone he'd be among the top players who ever played the game," longtime New York Knicks Coach Red Holzman once said of John "Hondo" Havlicek. "It would've been fair to those who had to play him or those who had to coach against him if he had been blessed only with his inhuman endurance. God had to compound it by making him a good scorer, smart ballhandler and intelligent defensive player with quickness of mind, hands and feet."

The 6-5 Boston Celtics star was a perpetual-motion machine, a human dynamo who was legendary for wearing out opponents with his relentless baseline-to-baseline efforts. A star at both forward and guard, Havlicek's versatility made him perhaps the finest all-around player in the history of the NBA, according to Sports Illustrated.

SF: "Big Game" James Worthy (89-90) - 20M
Height: 6' 9'' Weight: 225
21.2 PPG, 54.8% FG, 78.2% FT, 30.6% 3ptFG, 6.0 RPG, 3.6 APG, 1.24 SPG, 0.61 BPG
All-Star | All-NBA Third Team

Quote:
Never was a nickname better suited to a player than Worthy's moniker of "Big Game James."

"James Worthy was one of the top 10 -- top five -- players in playoff history," Johnson stated at the news conference in which Worthy announced his retirement.

No one argued with that assessment. By the time he retired, Worthy owned a Most Outstanding Player Award from the 1982 NCAA Final Four and a Most Valuable Player Award from the 1988 NBA Finals. He was a member of three NBA championship teams with the Los Angeles Lakers (in 1985, 1987, and 1988). His career postseason averages of 21.1 points and 5.2 rebounds per game were higher than his regular-season averages of 17.6 points and 5.1 rebounds per contest.

PF: Spencer Haywood (72-73) - 18M
Height: 6' 8'' Weight: 225
29.2 PPG, 47.6% FG, 83.9% FT, 12.9 RPG, 2.5 APG, ~1.5 BPG, ~0.8 SPG
All-Star | All NBA First Team

Quote:
On the court, Spencer Haywood was such a devastating force in his prime that no opponent could defend him or keep him off the boards.

At his best Haywood was as dominating as they come. As a 20-year-old rookie in 1969-70 he led the American Basketball Association in both scoring and rebounding and was named the ABA's Most Valuable Player and Rookie of the Year.

The next year he was unstoppable, pouring in 29.2 ppg (third in the league behind Nate Archibald and Kareem Abdul-Jabbar) and pulling down 12.9 rpg. His most effective shot was a turnaround jumper in which Haywood took advantage of his height and reach to extend above the defender before lofting a soft arc toward the hoop. He scored 51 points against the Kansas City-Omaha Kings that year.

C: Elmore Smith (71-72) - 10M
Height: 7' 0'' Weight: 250
17.3 PPG, 45.4% FG, 15.2 RPG, 1.4 APG, 1.0 SPG, 5.1 BPG

Quote:
In his first season, Smith averaged 17.3 points per game and 15.2 rebounds per game and was named to the NBA All-Rookie Team. His rebounding average of 15.2 is still the eighth highest ever by an NBA rookie.

Smith is best remembered for his shot-blocking. He led the league in total blocked shots twice (in 1974 and 1975), and holds the NBA record for most blocked shots in a game, with 17 [1]. He achieved this mark against the Portland Trail Blazers on October 28, 1973, while playing for the Lakers. Smith's 4.85 blocks per game from the 1973-74 season (the first season blocked shots were officially recorded in the NBA) is the third highest ever. He was also a skilled rebounder, and he averaged a double-double (13.4 points, 10.6 rebounds) over the course of his career.

Reserves:

PG/SG: "Downtown" Freddie Brown (74-75) - 10M
Height: 6' 3'' Weight: 182
21.0 PPG, 48% FG, 83.1% FT, 45% 3ptFG, 4.2 RPG, 3.5 APG, 2.3 SPG

SG: Vernon "Mad Max" Maxwell (88-89) - 1M
Height: 6' 4'' Weight: 180
11.7 PPG, 43.2% FG, 74.5% FT, 25% 3ptFG, 2.6 RPG, 3.8 APG, 1.1 SPG

SG/SF: DeShawn Stevenson (03-04) - 1M
Height: 6' 5'' Weight: 210
11.4 PPG, 43.2% FG, 26.8% 3ptFG, 3.6 RPG, 3.1 APG, 0.65 SPG

SF/SG: Josh Howard (05-06) - 10M
Height: 6' 6'' Weight: 203
15.6 PPG, 47.1% FG, 73.4% FT, 42.9% 3ptFG, 6.3 RPG, 1.9 APG, 1.15 SPG)

PF: A.C. Green (90-91) - 1M
Height: 6' 9'' Weight: 220
9.1ppg, 47.6% FG, 6.3 RPG, 0.9 APG, 0.72 SPG

PF/C: Nenad Krstic (04-05) - 1M
Height: 6' 11'' Weight: 240
10.0 points, 49.3% FG, 5.3 RPG, 0.8 BPG

C: Tom Burleson (74-75) - 2M
Height: 7' 2.5'' Weight: 225
10.1 PPG, 7.0 RPG, 1.4 APG, 0.8 SPG, 1.87 BPG

CLICK ON NAMES FOR HIGHLIGHTS!

Salary: $123M

Depth Chart:

PG: Jerry West -> Freddie Brown -> Vernon Maxwell
SG: John Havlicek -> Jerry West -> DeShawn Stevenson -> Vernon Maxwell
SF: James Worthy -> John Havlicek -> Josh Howard -> DeShawn Stevenson
PF: Spencer Haywood -> A.C. Green -> Nenad Krstic -> James Worthy
C: Elmore Smith -> Tom Burleson -> Nenad Krstic

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT

Last edited by Jeffs on Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:43 pm; edited 20 times in total
TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:25 pm    Post subject:

You get my personal award for the most old school flava in the league.
Mongo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:

No Brian Shaw?
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2008 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Josh Howard must feel weird in that locker room. Most of those guys were playing before he was born.

I feel like I just watched someone TRULY give 100%. Not the BS I'm-gonna-give-a-110%-just-like-everyone-else-says platitudes, but someone that went until he just....broke. - GT
machine24
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Aug 03, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Jeffs wrote:
Josh Howard must feel weird in that locker room. Most of those guys were playing before he was born.

Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Aug 06, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject:

AP--Santa Barbara

In a press conference held at the Thunderdome gymnasium on the UCSB campus earlier today, the Santa Barbara Gauchos formally announced the addition of James Worthy to an already potent offensive squad.

"We believe that James' elite skills, size, and athleticism will be what takes us from a playoff squad to a legitimate title contender," said GM Jeffs. Worthy will certainly help the Gauchos' fast break attack, which was already quite deadly. Along with guards Jerry West and John Havlicek, and fellow forward Spencer Haywood, the Gauchos will possess the most lethal fast break in the league.

"I'm very excited to see James in the Blue and Gold," said star point guard Jerry West. "I can't wait to run the break with him on the left and Hondo on the right. No one will be able to stop us!"

Worthy will bring very efficient scoring and elite finishing ability to a team team surrounded by some of the best shooters and shot-makers in NBA history. He will certainly get his share of easy baskets as defenses are forced to stay at home on West, Havlicek, and Haywood.

"I'm very excited to be here," Worthy said after being asked how he felt. "I have won three titles where we ran the ball down the other team's throats, and I think we can do that here. We can definitely win it all, and I look forward to the journey."

Worthy, just entering his prime at age 28, reportedly signed a maximum 5 year contract starting at $20 million a year.

Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject:

The Gauchos would like to announce the signings of center Tom Burleson (74-75) and power forward/center Nenad Krstic (04-05). With these signings, the Gauchos add a ton of depth to their front court, which they believe will better help them compete with some of the bigger teams in the league.

TIME
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject:

Awesome pickup to get Worthy for 20 cap. I'm jealous.
2Cleva
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject:

TIME wrote:
Awesome pickup to get Worthy for 20 cap. I'm jealous.

Definitely. He was able to let the money dry up and get him at a great deal.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Aug 07, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject:

The Gauchos are very happy to announce the signings of local product DeShawn Stevenson and fan-favorite A.C. Green to Veteran's Minimum contracts.

Stevenson will bring his strong defense, slashing ability, and pinpoint shooting to help solidify what the Gauchos feel is the best backcourt in the league. He is very excited to join the team and feels that all of the easy scoring opportunities he will get as a result of said star power will help his showcase his talents.

Green will immediately become a fan favorite with his workman's attitude and team-first approach. He, along with Nenad, will back up star power forward Spencer Haywood on the interior.

The Gauchos are nearly finished constructing their team, but are pursuing one more free agent that they feel will be quickly embraced by the fans. Stay tuned to find out who this mystery player may be!

Jeffs
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject:

With the signing of "Mad Max" Vernon Maxwell, the Gauchos are believed to be done with free agency this offseason. With the exception of an unforeseen trade request, this is likely the team that will lace them up for the regular season.

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> All-Time League All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: