Analyzing MJ vs Kobe

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jshima
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:43 am    Post subject: Analyzing MJ vs Kobe

I know, this has been done ad nauseum, but I grew up in Chicago watching MJ and now live in LA and watch Kobe play, and I feel they're not so far apart, at least offensively.

Penetration: Jordan 9 / Kobe 8. Jordan was more consistent at penetration to draw fouls and had countless posterizing dunks on opponent centers. Kobe, up until a few years ago had a similar penetration game but has lost a step. His crossover dribble has been studied by opposing teams to the point where he now very rarely crosses someone up. He makes up for this somewhat with IMO the best baseline footwork/moves in the game.

Post up: Jordan 9 / Kobe 8. Jordan may as well have patented the back-you-down-shake-fadeaway-from-either-shoulder move. Kobe is almost as good, but Jordan is a career 50% shooter. Footwork and fundamentals are equal between the two. Kobe has the better left hand.

Midrange: Jordan 9 / Kobe 9. Jordan lived off of his midrange game and shot 50% for his career. Kobe is often praised for his midrange game, and while great, doesn’t have the consistency of MJ. However, Kobe is the master of drawing fouls in the midrange game. Where Jordan drew fouls in penetration, Kobe does in midrange. Not only that, but Kobe is the master at making midrange 3 point plays.

Long range: Kobe 9 / Jordan 7. Kobe has the 9 straight 3’s in a game, 12 3’s in another game. Jordan was never regarded as a deadly long range shooter (unless it was crunch time or vs Portland in the Finals). During some of the MJ chucker days, he was chucking up a lot of threes and mid to long range jumpers. Realizing his shot wasn’t the best, he transitioned to the midrange and post-up game which made him absolutely dominant, much like a center.

Streak shooting: Kobe 10 / MJ 8. 81 points, 62 points in 3 quarters, a month of 40+ PPG. When Kobe is on, there is no better wing scorer in NBA history.

In the clutch: Jordan 9 / Kobe 8. Neither player was/is perfect. I recall seeing Jordan miss tons of last second shots to win/tie the game, as with Kobe. Overall, Jordan has more of these moments as well as memorable 4th quarters. Kobe still has time to match or surpass MJ. The majority of MJ’s moments came when he was 30+ years old.

In the playoffs: Jordan 10 / Kobe 7. No wing player was as dominant in the playoffs as MJ in his career. Opposing teams had weeks to strategize their plan to stop MJ, opposing players played him for 4-7 games at a time and still couldn’t stop him. Recall all the 40+, 50+ point games and countless ESPN Classic playoff moments… his career playoff PPG is higher I think than his regular season #'s, though his FG% is slightly down. Kobe’s moments are not there yet, though he has quite a few already: the OT game vs Indiana, the memorable lob to Shaq vs Portland, the 40 point games vs the Spurs, the game winner vs the Suns, the 09 Finals. Yet these moments are sporadic, and his scoring and FG% were way down from his regular season numbers.

Jordan 61 / Kobe 59, but Kobe still has time to match or surpass Jordan.

Just my opinions on what I've seen.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject:

Welcome to LG

You might want to put this in the Laker Lounge though. The neighborhood is just for events taking place in LGers' neighborhood.
jshima
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject:

Woops, thanks for the heads up! I thought I clicked on the right section, lol.
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:14 am    Post subject:

jshima wrote:
Woops, thanks for the heads up! I thought I clicked on the right section, lol.

That's alright

That's a nice first post. I think my first post was just a smiley
LA_DREAMS1
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject:

Haha yeah way better than my first post... good read
KobeRe-Loaded
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject:

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=93927&highlight=match++surpass

WTF dude?
#11/08/16 America became GREAT again
#Avatar-gate
Vishnu
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 12:55 pm    Post subject:

KobeRe-Loaded wrote:
http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?t=93927&highlight=match++surpass

WTF dude?

Read the dates of the posts and the other posts in the thread. From that you should be able to tell that he accidentally posted in here first. He later posted in the Lounge like we told him to.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LG Neighborhood All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: