Biggest douche bag in league history
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who is the biggest douche bag in NBA history?
Michael Jordan
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Jayson Williams
1%
 1%  [ 1 ]
Red Auerbach
20%
 20%  [ 20 ]
LeBron James
35%
 35%  [ 35 ]
Shaquille O'Neal
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Karl Malone
7%
 7%  [ 7 ]
Charles Barkley
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
Isaiah Thomas
6%
 6%  [ 6 ]
Dennis Rodman
3%
 3%  [ 3 ]
other
12%
 12%  [ 12 ]
Total Votes : 99

Mr. Zero
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:23 am    Post subject:

I'm gonna have to go with my girl JR Smith on this one.

EDIT: Denver Thuggets take the cake.
LOL Dude
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:04 am    Post subject:

drzucchini wrote:
carlosLisboa wrote:
Why is not Kobe, who almost went to jail after the motel incident, who was accused of flirting a teammate wife, who was the most arrogant kid in his first 3-4 seasons be any better than the others?

wat

Lowest Merion
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:53 am    Post subject:

24 wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
24 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:
Kermit Washington. Trash. Punk. Worthless.

Please. Kermit was and is a good guy. He didn't do anything that a lot of guys haven't done. He was just unlucky in that he landed a direct punch and that Rudy's skull is apparently made of paper machier. It certainly wasn't worse than some of the altercations Artest has had.

You are out of your mind. You almost kill someone on the court, unprovoked, you're making this list. And your Artest comment doesnt work either. Anyone who isn't a Lakers fan would include Artest (and Kobe for that matter) on this list. Kermit *may* be a nice guy but he did what he did.

What's with this unprovoked nonsense? He was in a fight, and Rudy was running at him. What did he need to have happen in order to be provoked? Wait for Rudy to wind up on him? Would that be unprovoked? Rudy was the fourth man in on a melee, and you can argue all you want, but you can't categorically say his intent wasn't to join in. He was running in with what certainly looks like a posture of someone ready to throw a punch. Perhaps not. Perhaps he only intended to grab Kermit. But how can we know? How could Kermit know. As I said, this was a common happening at the time, and nothing was done to discourage it. The only difference was the freak nature of the damage done by the punch.

If I let my kids throw rocks at passing cars, when one gets a rock through a windshield, and hits the driver, is he somehow worse than the rest? No, the reason they all aren't supposed to do that is because exactly that can happen.

Perhaps I was a little flip in nominating Washington for this list. By definition, I would consider the biggest DB in NBA history to be one that has a history of acting like a DB.

But "unprovoked nonsense"? Yes, Rudy was running, or briskly jogging into the situation. (I wouldn't call it a "mellee" or a "brawl." I think it was a scuffle/skirmish at best). But Rudy was coming in with his arms in front of him, and not in a way which would suggest, "I'm going to wrestle you to the ground," or, "I'm about to throw a haymaker." I just don't see that on the tape. If you do, well, we just disagree.

So, whether it was unprovoked seems to be a debatable issue. Suggesting that it was unprovoked is not nonsensical.

Anyway, moving on. I nominate Calvin Murphy in Kermit's place. 14 illegitimate children with 9 different women. And, unlike Kermit, he doesn't have a reputation as a nice guy tarnished by the events of one unfortunate evening.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
24 wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
24 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

Please. Kermit was and is a good guy. He didn't do anything that a lot of guys haven't done. He was just unlucky in that he landed a direct punch and that Rudy's skull is apparently made of paper machier. It certainly wasn't worse than some of the altercations Artest has had.

You are out of your mind. You almost kill someone on the court, unprovoked, you're making this list. And your Artest comment doesnt work either. Anyone who isn't a Lakers fan would include Artest (and Kobe for that matter) on this list. Kermit *may* be a nice guy but he did what he did.

What's with this unprovoked nonsense? He was in a fight, and Rudy was running at him. What did he need to have happen in order to be provoked? Wait for Rudy to wind up on him? Would that be unprovoked? Rudy was the fourth man in on a melee, and you can argue all you want, but you can't categorically say his intent wasn't to join in. He was running in with what certainly looks like a posture of someone ready to throw a punch. Perhaps not. Perhaps he only intended to grab Kermit. But how can we know? How could Kermit know. As I said, this was a common happening at the time, and nothing was done to discourage it. The only difference was the freak nature of the damage done by the punch.

If I let my kids throw rocks at passing cars, when one gets a rock through a windshield, and hits the driver, is he somehow worse than the rest? No, the reason they all aren't supposed to do that is because exactly that can happen.

Perhaps I was a little flip in nominating Washington for this list. By definition, I would consider the biggest DB in NBA history to be one that has a history of acting like a DB.

But "unprovoked nonsense"? Yes, Rudy was running, or briskly jogging into the situation. (I wouldn't call it a "mellee" or a "brawl." I think it was a scuffle/skirmish at best). But Rudy was coming in with his arms in front of him, and not in a way which would suggest, "I'm going to wrestle you to the ground," or, "I'm about to throw a haymaker." I just don't see that on the tape. If you do, well, we just disagree.

So, whether it was unprovoked seems to be a debatable issue. Suggesting that it was unprovoked is not nonsensical.

Anyway, moving on. I nominate Calvin Murphy in Kermit's place. 14 illegitimate children with 9 different women. And, unlike Kermit, he doesn't have a reputation as a nice guy tarnished by the events of one unfortunate evening.

14 unfortunate evenings.

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:15 pm    Post subject:

Jr Smith, Eddie House, LeDouche

A douchebag is anyone who is an attention whore and celebrates like a little 10 year old girl after every play.

Examples of non-douche bags:
1) Kobe, Gasol, etc.
2) D. Rose
3) B. Roy
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:23 am    Post subject:

70sdude wrote:
24 wrote:
The simple fact is that Rudy ran up on a brawl, apparently either unaware that this might be reacted to as hostile, or else intent on attacking Washington. I don't know which, so I'll give him the benefit of the doubt, but even in that case, a pretty foolish thing to do. Anyone who's been in a brawl will know that if a buddy of the guy you're fighting runs up at you from behind, you aren't really going to wait around to see if he's hostile or a peace maker. As someone with law enforcement and security experience, we quickly learn never to go in to break up a fight with your defenses down, because that guy is very likely to take a swing at you. Common sense really.

Not that Rudy deserved what happened, nor did Kermit really. Like I said, just a tragic case of bad, one in a million luck.

I'm an attorney. Let me explain something to you.

While you call for the use of common sense on a basketball court, you expect license to do exactly the opposite for Kermit. Life and the law is not like that.

We don't know what Rudy was - or wasn't - going to do. What he did hurt no one. Period. We do know Kermit assaulted him and busted him up, without cause. Claiming legitimacy of KW's actions due to mob rule is no excuse, NONE.

NOT taking a swing at a player is the common sense action here. Open your eyes fella. Kermit's actions were wayyyyyy out of line, it's action indefensible. I'd have loved to have taken that turkey on in court.

It always tickles me to be called fella, since its such an obvious grumpy old man phrase, especially when worked in with "open your eyes", "get off my lawn" and such.

Now to your post:

I do hope, for your clients' sake, that your paid legal advice is better than your free offerings. For starters, from a legal standpoint, we don't need to know what Rudy's intentions were, nor does he have to actually cause harm. The burden for self defense is merely to demonstrate that a reasonable person could infer a threat of bodily harm predicated on the other's actions.

I don't know where your mob rule argument comes from (aside from spinning an argument you can't logically defeat), but common sense does not dictate that when in an altercation, and your opponent's buddy comes flying at you, your reaction should be to assume his intentions are anything but hostile. And your best defense against harm would be to harm him first. Perhaps you've been lucky enough never to be in such circumstances, but I can assure you that if you were, you wouldn't be thinking to yourself, "gee, I wonder if he's running full speed at me to hit me or merely give me a hug, perhaps I shall stand here a moment so he can show me his intentions". Again, the legal concept of self defense is not predicated on being harmed before defending yourself.

I do realize, that as an attorney, you are doing your job by cherry picking facts that suit your client's position, spinning or ignoring those that don't, and even making up a few, but your argument is a bit lacking in quality here.

You can say there was no brawl, but there was a fight, and as anyone knows, the third guy jumping in is exactly what turns a fight into a brawl. You can say we can't know Rudy's intentions, but as I mentioned, that's not particularly relevant. You can also make up the idea that Kermit was merely a thug, or a thug at all, despite no evidence that he was any such thing. His "enforcer" duties were no different from any other big of the time, he was actually a quality ball player (last guy to ever average a double 20 in college, a decent scorer and excellent rebounder and defender at the pro level) who was not simply out there to be McSorley to Kareem's Gretzky. Point of fact, Kareem was far more likely to be in an altercation than Kermit. As I've noted, Kareem had only recently recovered from a broken hand suffered while punching another player in the head, and his contentious matchup in the game was actually the precursor to the initial fight. You also ignore or spin the idea that Rudy put himself in the fight. Kermit didn't seek him out, and whatever you make of his reaction, it was clearly a reaction. You can certainly justify Rudy's decision to go there under a whole host of standards, be they moral, emotional, instinctual, what have you. But by much of the same standards, you can justify Kermit's reaction.

The physical damage, while horrendous, is ancillary to the primary question: Could a reasonable person infer the threat of imminent harm to his person from Rudy's actions? Only after you cross that threshold can you consider the proportion of the response. Since he didn't pick up a weapon to fend off an unarmed man (which in itself is in some circumstances found justified, but that's a whole other can of worms), does throwing a punch constitute unreasonably disproportionate response to a charging man of similar size? Again, fairly easy to demonstrate that a reasonable person could in fact, motivated by a fear of imminent danger, consider throwing a punch to be a prudent and justifiable method of self defense. Meeting both of these criteria (self defense, proportional response), the level of the subsequent injury is merely an emotional sideshow to stoke a jury's emotions, not a particularly relevant legal point.

Put in another context to illustrate this, if I demonstrate a reasonable case of self defense for shooting someone, whether I nicked him or put a hole through his head is completely irrelevant legally (of course, if I stood over him afterward and emptied the clip, that would be another matter). If firing a shot at him was a reasonable form of self defense, I am not penalized for the caliber, marksmanship, or any other factor of damage to him associated with a gunshot. Similarly, if a punch was justified, then its efficacy, no matter how brutal, doesn't change that.

I would urge you, if you feel you could win the case you propose, to run right out and sign up the hundreds of NHL guys who have gotten punched in the face upon entering a two man fight. Both the NFL and the NBA came to realize that the third man into a fight was in fact a significant danger, and both have severe penalties for it. This follows "real world" precedent. Thus far, the NHL hasn't outlawed the initial fight, while the NBA has. To my knowledge, while fighting was allowed without penalty, and even post implementation of a penalty, there have been know successful civil cases by a participant in either league against another participant (and no, the guy who ambushed the other guy with a hockey stick doesn't meet the criteria). Rudy had a righteous beef with the team, the league, and/or the officials for the conditions under which this situation was at least tacitly allowed to happen, but not the other participant in this case.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 2:32 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
24 wrote:
Lowest Merion wrote:
24 wrote:
Wilkes52 wrote:

14 unfortunate evenings.

Or was it 14 cases of unprovoked childbearing?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:01 am    Post subject:

disregard the poll results, the answer is Patrick Beverley

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
rmonkey
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2021 6:58 am    Post subject: Re: Biggest douche bag in league history

C M B wrote:
This is a poll for the basketball purists among us.

Not without M.L. Carr it isn't.
lakers0505
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:

He is consistently a douche indeed, every jersey and with every player. Bravo Patrick.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 4:58 pm    Post subject:

Lowest Merion wrote:
kwest80 wrote:

I've heard Rick Barry was a big douche.

Nice catch. Can't believe I forgot about him. SI did a very long feature on him where Barry himself admits what a jerk he was:

Quote:
"The way I looked alienated a lot of people," Barry says. "I've seen films of myself and seen the faces I made. I looked terrible." He closes his eyes to the memory and shakes his head. "I acted like, a jerk. Did a lot of stupid things. Opened my big mouth and said a lot of things that upset and hurt people. I was an easy person to hate. And I can understand that. I tell kids, There's nothing wrong with playing the way Rick Barry played, but don't act the way Rick Barry acted.' I tell my own kids, 'Do as I say, not as I did.' "

What bothers him isn't that he's not beloved.

"It bothers me," Barry says, "that I'm not even liked."

This is a good article: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1120767/1/index.htm

his sons grew up jerks... big Laker haters, big Kobe haters.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
ElliotTheFan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2021 10:43 pm    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
C M B wrote:

He is consistently a douche indeed, every jersey and with every player. Bravo Patrick.

What does Chris Paul have to do to get some love?
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 10:56 am    Post subject:

ElliotTheFan wrote:
lakers0505 wrote:
C M B wrote:

What does Chris Paul have to do to get some love?

ETF! Long time. Good to see you're alive. BF2042 incoming

Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 27, 2021 4:24 pm    Post subject:

Between Isiah Thomas, Bill LAMEbeer, Karl Malone and Lebron, that's a tough one.
Buck32
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:49 am    Post subject:

lakers0505 wrote:
C M B wrote:

Everyone knows he's a douche on the court, but I remember him walking out without saying a word after losing to Ayton during a NBA 2k game last year.
Showed what a horrible person he is.
If anyone deserves to be out of the NBA it's Beverly.
nevitt_smrek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2021 12:03 am    Post subject:

Chris Paul
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 6:44 am    Post subject:

Andrew Bynum has a pretty strong case.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:42 pm    Post subject:

Raja Bell is a piece of excrement. Is that the same as being a douche? I dunno. If not, Ainge or Lamebeer or Isiah were douches to be sure. Kevin Johnson was and is one (at minimum). You could go on for daze w/ the NBA making an all-douche list. That might answer more questions than a poll. Simply list every douche people can think of and if the inclusion isn't obvious, state the offenses that makes him a douche. Birdman Anderson is a douche as a human being. There are guys like that. Greg Foster was one, too. Doin a throat slash as a 12th man.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2021 11:12 pm    Post subject:

non-player zealot wrote:
Raja Bell is a piece of excrement. Is that the same as being a douche? I dunno. If not, Ainge or Lamebeer or Isiah were douches to be sure. Kevin Johnson was and is one (at minimum). You could go on for daze w/ the NBA making an all-douche list. That might answer more questions than a poll. Simply list every douche people can think of and if the inclusion isn't obvious, state the offenses that makes him a douche. Birdman Anderson is a douche as a human being. There are guys like that. Greg Foster was one, too. Doin a throat slash as a 12th man.

Javaris Crittenton is a total douchenozzle.

non-player zealot
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 17, 2021 12:13 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
non-player zealot wrote:

Javaris Crittenton is a total douchenozzle.

You don't expect rooks to come to LA and instead of being wowed by the celebs, they're wowed by the Bloods and Crips. Such was his fate, sadly.
LuciusAllen
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:34 am    Post subject:

Not sure who deserves it the most, but whoever does should be awarded the Danny Ainge Douchebag Trophy. His douchy-pouty face would make an excellent design for it.
LakersSamy
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:18 am    Post subject:

Im surprised Lebron took the trophy
XTC
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 2:26 pm    Post subject:

LakersSamy wrote:

The poll started in 2010 was dormant for about 11 years. LeBron's been in LA since 2018 so the results may still change in the years to come as long as he remains a Laker and this thread is bumped periodically.
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 4:29 pm    Post subject:

LakersSamy wrote:

The poll was created 25 days after the "Decision" aired. Might just be coincidence.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Chris Paul just rocketed up there.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> General Basketball Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4
Jump to: