Minimum post count before starting a thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lidi_SD
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject:

El Daddy702 wrote:
Good and Bad.

This sucks because the new fans that want to say hello with a new thread won't be able to, and also, long time lurkers won't be able to come out of the shadows and make some of their very good posts.

But it does get rid of the trolls, i guess.

... post whenever they might want to, but then again it's better in that it could lead to less trolling. Thus, a better overall forum
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:30 pm    Post subject:

Lidi_SD wrote:
El Daddy702 wrote:
Good and Bad.

This sucks because the new fans that want to say hello with a new thread won't be able to, and also, long time lurkers won't be able to come out of the shadows and make some of their very good posts.

... post whenever they might want to, but then again it's better in that it could lead to less trolling. Thus, a better overall forum

Unless I've got it wrong long time lurkers will be able to post with good points but won't be able to start a new thread until they reach the allotted number of posts.

Suggestion; A long time lurker will have a join date. If a join date is older i.e. 1yr as a parable not setting a time, but post count low i.e. 100, they should be allowed to start a thread.

For Larry; Man, we're bombarding you with suggestions huh?

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sat Mar 12, 2011 4:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
JTS1
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Lidi_SD wrote:
El Daddy702 wrote:
Good and Bad.

the long time lurkers don't have a tendency to start posts imo.

this rule really leads towards the first-timers. they tend to border on spamming and trolling more than lurkers would.
zeroakuma
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject:

Make that 500 or 1000
JALOPY
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2011 9:17 pm    Post subject:

Hooray! I think this will improve the site.
Dladi Vidac
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject:

"In order to start a new thread one must have exactly 1 post count above kobeownslebron"
JUST-MING
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject:

If you post in the game threads (Lounge or General Board), then you will make at least a dozen comments about the game, the players, or even other members. With the minimum post count policy, that means you would need to post in about eight games threads, or about two weeks worth of games, before you can "Start a Thread" in the Lounge.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:00 am    Post subject:

Lidi_SD wrote:
El Daddy702 wrote:
Good and Bad.

I'm not sure why people think that the only way new people and lurkers can make themselves known is by starting new threads.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Tony Almeida
Retired

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2011 12:54 pm    Post subject:

We don't expect this new policy to be a complete cure all for the quality of threads in the Lounge. But, hopefully will be a good measure to at least improve the board to some degree, minimize the visibility of trolls, etc.

To really make a vast improvement though, it takes a collective effort. There are plenty of posters with over 100 posts who continually post low quality threads, even those with over 1000 posts.

In general everyone who wants to start a thread should at least make an effort of having thought out content in the original post / thread title, and not just some generic P&M, rant, or redundant thread.

It's not our intention to "pick on" those with low post counts. There are good posters who don't post as often, but when they do, have good contributions to threads. A time component to this policy could be a reasonable compromise, we'll see. I do believe that 100 posts isn't a steep requirement to create new threads though, even if you are someone who has been on the board for months / years.

And I want to reiterate, posters with less than 100 posts can start new threads in the LG Neighborhood forum, which provides an opportunity to introduce themselves and be welcomed to the board.
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:42 am    Post subject:

Can we have a new policy?

Post that are made in threads just to bash on the thread should be deleted. Tired of seeing all these post that don't even address the thread topic. Why even post in the thread if thats going to be the case?
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 10:52 am    Post subject:

thejet24 wrote:

Post that are made in threads just to bash on the thread should be deleted. Tired of seeing all these post that don't even address the thread topic. Why even post in the thread if thats going to be the case?

Better yet, how about a system where if there are enough posts deriding the thread on the first page, the THREAD gets deleted. Seems much more democratic and in the sites best interest than just deleting peoples posts for expressing their opinion on a subject matter.

Some threads ARE stupid and people are bashing those threads for a reason. Seems to me it makes more sense to delete the thread that many find objectionable than to simply silence those who see thread as unworthy of the bandwidth.

There are threads I don't find interesting, and I simply don't participate in those threads.

Then there are threads that are just silly, not well intentioned or outright intended to create dissent. I see nothing wrong with voicing one's objections to such threads.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:02 pm    Post subject:

Awesome! I now propose a 2 thread per day limit to curb the topic spammers
thejet24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:06 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
thejet24 wrote:

Better yet, how about a system where if there are enough posts deriding the thread on the first page, the THREAD gets deleted. Seems much more democratic and in the sites best interest than just deleting peoples posts for expressing their opinion on a subject matter.

Some threads ARE stupid and people are bashing those threads for a reason. Seems to me it makes more sense to delete the thread that many find objectionable than to simply silence those who see thread as unworthy of the bandwidth.

There are threads I don't find interesting, and I simply don't participate in those threads.

Then there are threads that are just silly, not well intentioned or outright intended to create dissent. I see nothing wrong with voicing one's objections to such threads.

Agreed...but you can't count those post that just say "this is a stupid thread" without at least saying what you disagree with. There's nothing wrong with disagreeing with the OPs opinion, but I do see something wrong in not even discussing your view point. Those post are a waste of bandwidth.
slippy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:11 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
Better yet, how about a system where if there are enough posts deriding the thread on the first page, the THREAD gets deleted.

I actually like this idea -- I just don't know if it's too much work and subjectivity for mods. Maybe if the board software had a "thumbs up/thumbs down" feature for threads?
oversteerdawg
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:52 pm    Post subject:

It really should be done by time or posts. As it is, I can't post a new thread, and I've been on LG everyday for almost 3 years.
El Daddy702
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:28 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Lidi_SD wrote:
El Daddy702 wrote:
Good and Bad.

I'm not sure why people think that the only way new people and lurkers can make themselves known is by starting new threads.

I was just mentioning that because sometimes the long time lurkers come up with some great first Threads/Posts...I enjoy reading those.

I agree with the new policy.

Drzucchini wrote:
Either something happens or something doesn't? Damn. Bold claim.
kusanagiz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 8:15 am    Post subject:

was there an issue w/ spammers before?
Center
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I agree with this thread! Ok, now to press Submit and see how many posts I have accumulated since the move from Rivals...
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:27 am    Post subject:

OK,

I'm a long time lurker, a Laker fan since they got Wilt, and a LG member for a couple of years. So, I like the long time member with under a 100 posts rule being able to start a new thread rule.

Berto
Megatron24
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:13 am    Post subject:

It should be 500 posts before you can start a thread.
TheMagicontinues...
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:39 pm    Post subject:

test
JerryWest_44
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:49 pm    Post subject:

One of the worst starts for Kobe - he's got about the same lift as Walton
PhillyDoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:10 pm    Post subject:

Very smart play by the moderators of a great site even if I am a Spurs fan (albeit with a very healthy respect of LAL and their fans)
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 3:22 am    Post subject:

Nice. I like this. I'm a bit of a lurker as well.
Our kind don't tend to start topics much.

I hope we don't run out of interesting topics though.

Keep us entertained guys!
MicStoppa
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject:

Interesting
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11
Jump to: