Febuary 10th:Bryant Sees Cook's Touch as a Recipe for More Success

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Febuary 10th:Bryant Sees Cook's Touch as a Recipe for More Success

Bryant Sees Cook's Touch as a Recipe for More Success
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer

Chris Mihm was out, Lamar Odom was limited, the Lakers were languishing.

Their front court was banged up and barren, and Kobe Bryant was being hounded by a mess of double-teams, which left just enough of an opening for Brian Cook to slip into a career-best groove.

Cook followed up his career-high 28-point outburst in Dallas with 27 points Wednesday in Houston, making a combined 23 of 34 shots in the games. A third-year forward with a soft touch, he has been making open shots on the weak side of the court as teams send two, sometimes three, defenders at Bryant.

"If people are running at Kobe, there's going to be other people open and people just need to step up," Cook said. "It might not be me, it might have to be someone else every given night. We're moving the ball well and I'm just knocking down shots."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:11 am    Post subject:

Love or hate Bryant, it all ads up

By Ross Siler, Staff Writer

More than a month after Kobe Bryant first laced them up for the Lakers' Christmas Day game in Miami, the marketing campaign has begun in earnest for his new Nike Zoom Kobe I signature sneaker.

Bryant's first television ad since he first was charged with sexual assault in July 2003 aired Thursday night. The superstar guard also will take part in a midnight launch party for the public at Fox Hills Mall in Culver City tonight.

The ad is narrated by Bryant and starts with him declaring "Love me or hate me, it's one or the other," and includes black-and-white footage of him shooting jumpers and lifting weights.

"Hate my game, my swagger," Bryant says in the ad. "Hate my fadeaway, my hunger. Hate that I'm a veteran, a champion. Hate that. Hate it with all your heart. And hate that I'm loved for the exact same reasons."

Nike signed Bryant to a reported five-year, $40 million contract only weeks before he was charged in the Colorado case. Now Bryant is embracing his polarizing nature.

"We're not here to polish up my image or clean anything up," Bryant said. "We just want to be real and be honest. Some people will look at that and understand where we're coming from and understand the inspiration behind it. Some people won't."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject:

Jackson has been quick to criticize Brown

By KEVIN DING
The Orange County Register

If Lakers coach Phil Jackson is trying to eradicate the sense of entitlement from Kwame Brown, the top pick in the 2001 NBA draft and the Lakers' highest-paid player behind Kobe Bryant and Lamar Odom, it's working.

"The leash is a little bit tighter for me," Brown said after the Lakers' victory in Houston on Wednesday.

Jackson's vision for Brown this season is to be an athletic interior defender in the tradition of Dennis Rodman and learn the offense. But Brown feels pressure to convert what offensive chances he takes.

"He (Jackson) wants me to run, rebound and defend," Brown said. "If you take a shot, you'd better make it. I know that much. I'm starting to understand that much."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject:

Kupchak an Ocean Away From Making a Big Deal
T.J. Simers

6:10 PM PST, February 10, 2006

Mitch called. He was in Europe, and apparently not in hiding.

"I'm in the back of a cab in Milan," he said, and obviously Laker owner Dr. Jerry Buss is a big believer in perks, giving his coach his daughter, Kwame Brown millions to do nothing, his general manager, Mitch Kupchak, a vacation in the middle of the season ...

"You're not serious," Mitch said, and I guess he does read Page 2.

"When are you going to do something to fix the season?" I asked.

"It sounds like you're saying the season is broke," Mitch said, making a point of saying he had just come from a basketball game. "I would say we didn't have a good East Coast trip, and we were hoping for better."

I would say Mitch sounds as if he's running for office, doesn't get the Laker box scores in Europe and is ignoring the real possibility the Clippers will be the team replacing the storied Laker franchise in the playoffs this season.

"For what it's worth," Mitch said, "we're the second youngest team in the NBA, and I know that doesn't go very far because we want to win now as well as three to four years from now, but when you're that young, you're going to lose some close games ... you have to be patient."

I've never met a patient Laker fan. Maybe they are all in Italy.

"Our goal is to get in the playoffs, and I think that's a realistic goal," Mitch said. "Take a look at our schedule."
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: