GameFlow - Apr. 2 - We Love 3rd Quarters

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopcornMachine
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: GameFlow - Apr. 2 - We Love 3rd Quarters

Houston 88 LA Lakers 104

GameFlow
BoxScore

Today's game started with a 9-0 run by Houston, mostly behind an unstoppable Yao Ming. Even though he continued his onslaught for most of the first half, the Lakers responded with some good shooting and trailed by just 1 point after two periods. Despite Ming's 20 points and 10 rebounds, it was encouraging the the Lakers outshot the Rockets 58% to 47%. All they needed to do was defend Yao a little better.

As is sometimes said in football, the best defense is a good offense. For the second game in a row, the Lakers had a big 3rd quarter. Kobe Bryant came out on fire, scoring 22 points on 9-13 shots. And the Lakers 25-12 run to start the period took the Rockets out of their rythm. Kwame Brown, who single covered Yao in the first half, kept bodying the opposing center and got some double team help. As a result Yao scored only 5 in the period and the Lakers increased their lead to 18.

The Lakers finished shooting 55% and the Rockets 44%. As a result, the Lakers lead the assists battle 25 to 18, and had only 5 offensive rebounds to the Rockets 12. When you shoot like that, you get more assists and you don't need or have the opportunity to get your own rebounds. It also didn't hurt they they shot a surprising 85% from the freethrow line (11-13), and hand only 11 turnovers. In the end, Houston had no one outside of Ming that hurt the Lakers, and he was pretty much silenced in the 3rd.

Kobe finished with 43 points on 19-32 shots, 3 rebounds, 6 assists, a steal, and 2 turnovers.

Lamar Odom had 21, 6 rebounds, a block, a steal, and 3 turnovers.

A real nice game by Smush Parker with 15 points, 5 rebounds, 10 assists, a steal, and 2 turnovers.

Kwame Brown totalled 10 points, 3 rebounds, an assist, and a block, in addition to some nice defense.

Off the bench, Luke Walton scored 10, grabbed 6 rebounds, made 2 assists, a steal, and a turnover.

I'm with COCO!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
uberzev
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject:

Sasha has regressed.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 7:02 pm    Post subject:

We-Got-Tac-Os!
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject:

The added pressure, in the 3rd period still "buckles our knees"... The Laker Game still gets disrupted..

The key thing that is happening, however, is that we seem to have more confidence in ourselves. We don't just let the game get out of hand. We stay together, and keep trying to reestablish our own rhythm and tempo.

Before, we just sort of gave up, or just went through the motions. I think our newfound confidence dates back to when we beat the Pistons. There was that long period of inactivity[such as now], when we seem to have shown signs of regressing. Someone has to keep this team inspired and confident. Magic, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, and MJ had this ability to inspire confidence, and trust in one another.
Exick
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 8:53 am    Post subject:

LakersSpirit wrote:
Before, we just sort of gave up, or just went through the motions. I think our newfound confidence dates back to when we beat the Pistons. There was that long period of inactivity[such as now], when we seem to have shown signs of regressing. Someone has to keep this team inspired and confident. Magic, Larry Bird, Bill Russell, and MJ had this ability to inspire confidence, and trust in one another.

I noticed something in the 3rd. I hope I'm remembering the situation right, but I recall that it was a play where the Lakers scored on a broken play (either after their own mistake or a Houston turnover) and caused Van Gundy to call a timeout. As ABC was going to break, the camera was on Kobe and he was talking to Kwame. There was no audio but I was able to read his lips. He said "Keep going." They had Houston on their heels and he didn't want anyone to let up, especially Kwame who was up against Yao.

That's the kind of thing the team needs. Year after year we hear about how veteran and/or championship teams know how to put an opponent away and Kobe knows how to do that, so instilling that in his young teammates is something I'm very happy to see.
he_is_the_one
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:58 am    Post subject:

Kobe is the motivation for all the team, he's the star player, they look up to him for inspiration!
Aloha
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 4:27 pm    Post subject:

Actually Ive learned to be cautious of the 3rd & 4th Quarters this year...

I must say it's better than last year when we got blown out in Q1- or Q2...

Butler vs Kwame

Miss the points but we needed a big...
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: