Wireless Network questions..

View previous topic :: View next topic  
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Wireless Network questions..

Okay......at work we have routers spread out through different rooms so that the wifi can reach just about everywhere. I noticed some things that may or may not be related to the "conflicting IP adress error" or the lack of internet, most of the time.

port port CAT5(DSL)
{ } { } { } { } [ ]

okay the way it was setup was that instead of having the DSL ethernet cable plugged into the Cat5(dsl), it was plugged into one of the ports labeled 1-4.

Does that relay an IP?

Another thing, the person who set them up had assigned a different address to each router. For the most part, the internet was down until i reset the address to factory default 192.168.1

Would this cause any errors in assignnig IPs?
surfbu
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject:

It depends.

Do you have the acces points set up as a true wireless relay...meaning no cat5 cable connecting each AP...or are they acting as an access point while being tethered to a Cat5 cable.

If it is the former, then you need to go into each AP (192.168.2.1) and set each MAC address to be the same as the MAC address as the Wireless router.

By the way...what brand is the hardware you are using? (Belkin, Netgear, etc)

Check your IP address as well...you have 192.168.1 listed above...youa re missing a number in there. Generally is it 192.168.2.1(although the last number can be dynamic)

I know Belkin AP's are set at 192.168.2.254...while the Router itself is set at 192.168.2.1
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject:

Using Netgear routers..In all honesty im not sure how theyre setup. I know theyre intent was to relay an access point. The address i posted(192.168.0.1) was referring to the address to configure the Router.

Sorry forgot to mention:

The router is fed its connection from a drop in the building( a school)
vandido626
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject:

turbulent wrote:
Using Netgear routers..In all honesty im not sure how theyre setup. I know theyre intent was to relay an access point. The address i posted(192.168.0.1) was referring to the address to configure the Router.

Sorry forgot to mention:

The router is fed its connection from a drop in the building( a school)

lol...arent you always having IT problems at work.

did you get the network drop off when you were moving from one router to another or would it happen in a stationary location?

you cant have several devices on the same network with the same IP address. So if you reset all your routers to the factory default you could have issues. You have to set up your main router and configure the others as access points. But you should really just strike up a conversation with your IT guy and ask him about the set up, that will help you pinpoint the problem much quicker.
turbulent
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject:

yeah man.. My job has crappy internet issues all the time. Stipd School dsitrict.

For some reason, when the routers are assigned different addresses, the routers seem to throw off that part of the building. For example if in room 20, the router freaks out, rooms 21, 22, 23, are affected, until I reset the damn thing.

Prior to resseting them, theyd have a unique add.

Not sure whats going on..
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: