SUNS -at- LAKERS -- 4/16 -- Thoughts and :-)) ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
orido86
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject:

Thanks
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Interesting and insightful breakdown of today's game.
DancingBarry wrote:
The real benefit for them will be to take apart this game and see how Phil plans to attack them in the playoffs. We were much more focussed in our game plan. I suspect they may start packing things into the lane a bit more to try to make us stay a bit more honest from the erimeter...hoping we will miss more and ignite their break.
I'm sure that both teams weren't showing any of their existing plans (that will surely change before the actual playoffs) but seeing how the players will compete. It is amazing that when Smush decides to "tightened-up" his defense on the PG how the Suns defense slowed down - admittedly they didn't play Nash.

If they start packing the paint, this will slow their offense since they will not be able to "leaked out." In addition, if this will allow the Lakers' "big" (LO, Kwame, etc.) to have an even greater impact on the game.

However, I don't think that the Suns will do the above-listed option because it hasn't been their policy throughout their successful season and it will expose their lack of height in the front court.

If the Lakers severly limit their long shots that eliminated long rebounds - this situation will be to the Lakers' advantage.

This is why you can't look at the boxscore to say who played good defense. Barbosa got a bunch of wide open looks. He was just rattled because of the deficit.

Smush is going to have to try very hard to at least slow down Nash next Sunday.
BraveHeartII
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:13 am    Post subject:

Truthfully, if Tim Thomas had made those shots, we wouldn't have looked nearly as good. This is why I'd rather play the Suns. They are not playoffs tested like the Spurs.
BigEvil
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject:

Good work! I add my props to the bucket.

This game has proven to me that the Lakers need to continually ram the ball down the Suns' throat. Drive and post and get everything going to the basket initially.

Fouls will be their best friends.
Klone_dd
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject:

That was a much needed Nashty game. So what if the reiging MVP didn't play? The Lakers weren't looking to send a message as much as they were playing for a playoff spot.

NKPOG = Luke. Kinda lost in all the props to LO and Kwame during this late season run has been the stellar play of Luke. The kid's confidence is soaring. His ability to make plays along with Kobe and LO gives the team three initiators, putting the defense on its heels.
LakerJosh
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject:

ALbino wrote:
That Sasha left-handed hook in the lane made me do a double take. Where did that come from? Not only did it look pretty going in, but he looked confident making that move. If he could develop a little bit of a floater game that might settle his outside shooting a bit and make him a more effective player for us.

AL.

Agreed.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 1:18 pm    Post subject:

BraveHeartII wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Interesting and insightful breakdown of today's game.
DancingBarry wrote:
The real benefit for them will be to take apart this game and see how Phil plans to attack them in the playoffs. We were much more focussed in our game plan. I suspect they may start packing things into the lane a bit more to try to make us stay a bit more honest from the erimeter...hoping we will miss more and ignite their break.
I'm sure that both teams weren't showing any of their existing plans (that will surely change before the actual playoffs) but seeing how the players will compete. It is amazing that when Smush decides to "tightened-up" his defense on the PG how the Suns defense slowed down - admittedly they didn't play Nash.

If they start packing the paint, this will slow their offense since they will not be able to "leaked out." In addition, if this will allow the Lakers' "big" (LO, Kwame, etc.) to have an even greater impact on the game.

However, I don't think that the Suns will do the above-listed option because it hasn't been their policy throughout their successful season and it will expose their lack of height in the front court.

If the Lakers severly limit their long shots that eliminated long rebounds - this situation will be to the Lakers' advantage.
This is why you can't look at the boxscore to say who played good defense. Barbosa got a bunch of wide open looks. He was just rattled because of the deficit. Smush is going to have to try very hard to at least slow down Nash next Sunday.
That's why Aaron McKie/Jim Jackson/Sasha will play a bigger role during the playoffs - to be there when Smush (unfortunately) loses his concentration and/or get sloppy by letting Nash dictate tempo without any opposition/defense or not getting involved with the offense that allows Nash to only play half of the time because he is not being punished by having to play a physical defense. If Smush just executes the Triangle, the various sets will force Nash to go through picks to defend his shots
LakersSpirit
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject:

I hope our players are learning that running the triangle should not keep them from using their natural instincts. Some players, kind of look like they have to concentrate, so much, on their position, in the triangle, that they don't see when they become open for a shot. The traingle is another tool to use, but the players still have to make the right decisions, at the right time.

Kobe should see his team as an extension of himself... The team is like Kobe's tool, to help him get set up. The ball will come back to Kobe, if he allows it to move around.

I saw some old clips, on cable today... There was an old special, about Phil Jackson's old coach, Holtzman(sp?)... I can see where some of Phil's ideas come from... Holtzman also believed in a team synergy[my own interp. term], in which every player always thought about working together, with teammates, to make the team better, than the sum of each individual player's skills... The film went on to cite, that Holtzman's old knick Team did not have superstar-calibre players, and no one expected them to go on to win the championship. They won, because they believed in one another, and in the strength of their teamwork. I hope the current Lakers have woken up to the wisdom that Phil has been trying to instill, passed down from a great mentor.

There was also a focus on some of the old Laker Teams... One thing that comes out at you... No matter how old, and faded, those films are... The courage, dedication, and character, of those players, and teams still comes through, vividly.
SABINO63
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:41 pm    Post subject:

coop-a-loop wrote:
Good analysis DB.

I like how the lakers controlled the tempo today. Although Nash and Bell did not play, the lakers showed that they can at least control Phoenix's up tempo style..something they were not able to do this entire regular season (with or without Nash). There were times this wherein Nash was on the bench and the Suns still blew the lakers off the floor.

I like how the Laker players, especially Kobe attacked the rim everytime. 23 ft attempts is amazing. The key to slowing down phoenix is to grind them out inside, and not settle for quick outside shots..even if those shots are open. Against this Suns team, the most glaring defensive weakness is their interior. With only Marion, Diaw, an old Grant, and an unhealthy Kurt Thomas, every laker should make phoenix pay by trying to score int he paint and getting those guys in foul trouble. many have pointed out that attacking the paint will create fouls, stop the clock, and avoid having us play Phoenix's up tempo bball. It also prevents those long rebounds Phoenix loves to grab to start their transition offense that usually leads to open threes and uncontested layups.

I would like to see how this Phoenix team will fare against the best playoff coach and the best player in the league... in a seven game series with no back to back games. I like our chances. The Suns have an amazing offense, but if you control the tempo, the have a big holes you can exploit.

Go lakers!

I really hope to see Lakers attack inside from the start of the game as Kobi did Sunday; Phil’s teams have a tendency of not attacking and exploiting a team with few fouls left even when a comes to a specific guy who gets in to foul trouble early.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: