Morris is a good Point Guard
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakersMDGurl
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:19 pm    Post subject:

VicXLakers wrote:
TooMuchMajicBuss wrote:
Too much bipolarity on LG. No middle ground, no shades of grey, and no patience for some people. If he's not great he sucks. No patience for development of a young player. I like seeing him break out with a good game and I'm cheering for him because he hustles and plays defense, but most of all because he's shown a good attitude throughout his past both here and at Michigan. I like to see guys like him succeed even if the odds don't favor a 2nd round pick. So what if it doesn't happen often? Why does that even matter? We can't have 15 all stars on the roster, we have very few draft picks, a salary cap situation to deal with and we need young players with energy and hustle.

15 points in18 minutes, on only 8 shots, with 2 assists and no turnovers. That shows he's capable of contributing. Yeah he's not consistent, but lets not close the book on him just yet.

you have to remember this group quit on Barnes and Odom saying both were through...after watching the last Clippers game I can see exactly what they consider poop

You watch the Clippers? Shame on you
SunshineMan89
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject:

I like Morris, and I hope he does well, but I haven't really seen enough ball-handling or ability to finish from him to make me think he'll cut it as an NBA guard.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
24 wrote:
Any more insults or quoting of the large tree will result in this thread being locked and offenders dealt with.
give them a break 24, its a christmas tree of quotes. holiday spirits.

Well then prepare for the war on Christmas...
dont_be_a_wuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Morris is a good Point Guard

Chronicle wrote:
dont_be_a_wuss wrote:
kray28_ wrote:
Darth Los Angeles wrote:
I want to celebrate Morris! Anybody with any kind of basketball understanding knows Morris has all the physical tools to be at least, a good point guard.

Morris played within himself tonight AND played a smart game. His only fault is his awareness. But the boy has game! I am happy for the kid and I hope he keeps this type of steady play up! GO SPEED RACER GO!!!!!

He had a good scoring game today...and a pretty mediocre one by point guard standards.

Thats kind of what I was wondering. Good point guard like Russel Westbrook type, or good point guard like Nash/CP3 type?

andre miller type

haha! Very similar facial expressions for sure.
driver
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 pm    Post subject:

He's actually getting further and further away from the "Andre Miller" type. For one thing, Miller can't shoot a 3 worth a lick.

The biggest knock I have with Morris is his inconsistency. Some games he vanishes, you can't do that if you wanna become a good pg.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:07 pm    Post subject:

SunshineMan89 wrote:
I like Morris, and I hope he does well, but I haven't really seen enough ball-handling or ability to finish from him to make me think he'll cut it as an NBA guard.

I think he handles the ball quite well. His TO's are due to poor decisions, not his lack of dribbles.

He does need to improves in the finishing category. Though to be realistic ive seen him finish as many and-1's as Dfish, and hes only in his second year. Arguably his first. Its not like he got minutes last year.

His showing improvement from game to game and he has been contributing. Thats the most you can ask for out of your second rounders.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject:

driver wrote:
He's actually getting further and further away from the "Andre Miller" type. For one thing, Miller can't shoot a 3 worth a lick.

The biggest knock I have with Morris is his inconsistency. Some games he vanishes, you can't do that if you wanna become a good pg.

I think he vanishes because hes trying to be too much of a PG actually. Penetrating and kicking to open shooters has been something that appears to come easily to him. Hes an extremely unselfish player. Inconsistent is right, but not just on his end. Ive seen the guys hes passing to throw up brick after brick....but he keeps on passing it. You know, exactly what everyone thinks Kobe should do .

Sorry, had to throw that in there.

If we had better shooters hed be racking up some assists and then he might not appear to vanish so much eh? I think if guys arent hitting shots, he should try getting to the rim more. I think the more he attacks the more calls hes going to start getting.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Morris is a good Point Guard

Quote:

Why are those idiots above arguing about mommas and grammar? Are they really that stupid?

Yes.
thurloly
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Morris is a good Point Guard

shansen008 wrote:
Quote:

Why are those idiots above arguing about mommas and grammar? Are they really that stupid?

Yes.

They did make me laugh in sympathy. To be honest, personal attack like "your grammar," "your mom," and "I wish player X can get injury" are serious making LG unpleasant sometimes.
VicXLakers
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Morris is a good Point Guard

thurloly wrote:
shansen008 wrote:
Quote:

Yes.

They did make me laugh in sympathy. To be honest, personal attack like "your grammar," "your mom," and "I wish player X can get injury" are serious making LG unpleasant sometimes.
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:43 pm    Post subject:

I don't give a krapper what anyone around here says, he is one of the better 2nd year players the Lakers have had in quite some time.

We haven't developed many players who actually stuck around here to show us what they have.

Dude is playing pretty good ball for a guy with JUST OVER 1 year of experience and playing for the Lakers, a team that is notorious for NOT developing their own talent.
shansen008
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:
I don't give a krapper what anyone around here says, he is one of the better 2nd year players the Lakers have had in quite some time.

We haven't developed many players who actually stuck around here to show us what they have.

Dude is playing pretty good ball for a guy with JUST OVER 1 year of experience and playing for the Lakers, a team that is notorious for NOT developing their own talent.

I agree wholeheartedly.

Google the kid and read his Wiki some time. From listening to him in interviews, and watching his development, and doing some reading....im really starting to like this kid. I just want to see him keep improving. Luckily for him, though maybe not for team success over all, Dantoni is coach. He will learn a lot under Nash and Dantoni on how to be a true PG.

I really think hes settlling in and adjusting to NBA speed. He seems less anxious and more confident with every game. Even the games where he doesnt produce a nice statline, you can usually see him at least trying to have an impact. One thing that stands out in my mind is that he has a great motor and is always hustling, he disrupts a lot of passes and gets more steals than i believe he has been credited for. He just seems to have a nose for the ball and with his lateral speed, i think hes going to be a good backup for the near future and possibly a starter after that.

Duhon i think has hit his ceiling long before he came to LA, and i like him. I think Morris, impact wise, is already at Duhon's level, and his ceiling is much higher IMO. People seem to forget he was his teams (Michigan) best player and led them in points and assists.

Hes a good kid with a great story, and i really hope he blossoms here in LA. The guys on the team seem to like him a lot too.
KobePau
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:13 pm    Post subject:

Our concern with Morris should be is if he has made any progress from last year. I would say he has made a pretty good leap in terms of his 3 point shooting as well as his man to man defense. He really didn't have a great system and mentor to learn true point guard skills from last season. Now with Nash on board and also Dantonis system I think we might see significant amount of improvement by next season and possibly him playing some key minutes. But for us to say he is garbage or lacks promise is totally off base because for those that don't know some point guards take up to 2-3 years to develop if not more. What makes Morris intriguing is his work ethic and age which I think makes it more appealing for the Lakers to keep an investment on him.
Lakers_Jester
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:13 pm    Post subject:

real question though, is he the next Goran Dragic?
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject:

My guess is LA sees some potential in Morris, and wanted to give him another year of D league. That was before PG's 1 and 2 went down.
iManArebel
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:34 pm    Post subject:

On the squad right now, this second, he is at the top of my list of BECOMING the next solid PG for us.

In the whole league though, far from the top.
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Morris is a good Point Guard

Ming'd

Last edited by KBH on Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdotaguilar
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:45 pm    Post subject:

lmao no hes not
KBH
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:47 pm    Post subject:

postandpivot wrote:
KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
RetroNikes wrote:
Don't praise Morris until he brings this on a consistent basis.

cmon, hes a poor mans deron williams

how poor is that man? like homeless in america poor?
or are we talking like starving kids overseas with flies flying around them poor?

Darius Morris' game has several flies surrounding it.
kobe209
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:49 pm    Post subject:

driver wrote:

Lin does it and hes going to be an allstar lol
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:55 pm    Post subject:

Wino wrote:

Yeah, but to be fair, he's one of the only 2nd year players we've had here in quite some time. Aside from Ebanks, the last Laker to make the team in his 2nd year was Farmar in '07-08.

Four years of drafts and only two guys who could barely crack the worst bench in the NBA.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:59 pm    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
Wino wrote:

Yeah, but to be fair, he's one of the only 2nd year players we've had here in quite some time. Aside from Ebanks, the last Laker to make the team in his 2nd year was Farmar in '07-08.

Four years of drafts and only two guys who could barely crack the worst bench in the NBA.

In fairness, there were only 2 1st rounders in there. 1 was Crit, who was traded for pau, and the other was tony douglass, who is still in the league.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:34 pm    Post subject:

KobePau wrote:
Our concern with Morris should be is if he has made any progress from last year. I would say he has made a pretty good leap in terms of his 3 point shooting as well as his man to man defense. He really didn't have a great system and mentor to learn true point guard skills from last season. Now with Nash on board and also Dantonis system I think we might see significant amount of improvement by next season and possibly him playing some key minutes. But for us to say he is garbage or lacks promise is totally off base because for those that don't know some point guards take up to 2-3 years to develop if not more. What makes Morris intriguing is his work ethic and age which I think makes it more appealing for the Lakers to keep an investment on him.

That's how I see it too - he came back better and it's obvious he worked to improve his game. He's got a good attitude. Every now and then he breaks an OK game on offense. Very often he breaks out a decent game on defense, which gets ignored by these LG critics who claim he sucks. Of course he's got flaws. Deep bench players have flaws. Lakers also have a salary cap. I'll trust their judgment on this one.
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:56 pm    Post subject:

TheeLakeshow wrote:
The banter above was absolutely pricless. Whats even better is that it was all over Darius Morris our 2nd year 4th string guard who is a project.

I especially love the comments stating that most anyone could ball with him as long as they had decent size and time playing hoop.

Ill let you 'Dreamcatchers' in on a reality check.

DARIOUS MORRIS WOULD BALL OVER ANYONE ON THIS THREAD, INCLUDING ME WHO COULD OUT BALL ANYONE HERE.

The guy is at the NBA level playing, enough said. He isent very good right now but he is showing some decent things as a project. Im happy.

He takes anyone on this board to Rucker, he sends them back home without their lunch money in 5 min tops with a complimentary high-light real to show the family....

ElginBaylor
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2022 12:06 pm    Post subject:

wemidem wrote:
How lucky you are)

Let's raise this newbie up. First post and they decide to resurrect a 10-year-old thread with a totally random, nonsensical comment. Kudos. If you get bored digging through the volt, I've got a '96 Chevy Caprice I'm trying to unload.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8
Jump to: