SUNS -at- LAKERS - 5/4 - Thoughts and :-(( ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RYZ
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject:

LABigBoi wrote:
One other observation I have is that I can't count how many times Lamar just hung out at the top of the key, I know he had a good game last night, but the gameplan has changed from the games we won or should have. If you go back to games 1-3, you'd see that he was absolutely killing the suns in the post with either scoring or passing to open cutters or shooters. Why have we abandoned that philosophy that got us to to 3-1 in the 1st place??? I will never figure that out... If ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

They've started doubling Lamar from the baseline almost every time he sets up on the right block; why he doesn't turn and face up immediately on the catch is beyond me. The Suns have been doing it for three games now and instead of adjusting, Lamar has by and large decided to avoid the area altogether, or he looks to pass almost immediately after the entry. Another in a list of counter-adjustments we've yet to see from Phil and his team.
Kei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject:

I was surprised about how riled up Stu sounded! I haven't heard him that disappointed in the Lakers for quite some time.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject:

Kei wrote:
I was surprised about how riled up Stu sounded! I haven't heard him that disappointed in the Lakers for quite some time.
Since I was watching TNT (miss the days when I listened to Chickie Baby on the radio while watching the broadcast), could you list some of the major things that Stu mentioned?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject:

RCS926 wrote:
I also don't understand why Phil had Kwame in the game when he knew the Suns needed a 3 to tie the game. . . . . With that being said, we were a defensive rebound away from sealing this series.
We didn't get the rebound and Thomas made a clutch shot during the scramble (fyi: reminded me of the semi-final game of the "March Madness" college basketball tournament) - we would have had a much lesser chance of getting a rebound if Kwame was out of the game. Kwame did the best anybody could in covering Thomas.

Does anybody know if the Lakers had a TO/stopage of play to call to do this substitution?
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject:

Freakout wrote:
Hades wrote:
I have no idea why Smush was playing He can't defend..you can see the sun run a pick and roll and dump the ball to whoever Smush guard,good thing happen when this play is run. why not try this lineup: Kobe George Walton Odom Brown
I actually thought the exact same thing. Kobe on Nash and suddenly they can no longer exploit those screen and rolls then you also have a huge size advantage on the offensive glass.
That's a line-up that I believe would work cuz they have Tri experience, know each other well, playoff-tested, good passers and can switch every "P&R." They can alternate DGeorge or Kobe on Nash while allowing Smuch/Sasha (hopefully) to tire him out.

With Smush not scoring, Nash is able to take a breather on defense because he is taking nap alongside Smush during those times - hence have plenty of gas in the tank at the end of the game. Imagine if Nash had to actually work on defense the entire game?!?!?!
twoface723
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:01 pm    Post subject:

This was a horrible loss, and I almost wanted to cry (and I'm a grown man). Next game is gonna be too painful to watch.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger Reply with quote
Kei
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Kei wrote:
Since I was watching TNT (miss the days when I listened to Chickie Baby on the radio while watching the broadcast), could you list some of the major things that Stu mentioned?

Stu was bemoaning the lack of defense of the arc at the end of regulation. He kept saying it again and again. The one quote I remember most vividly was something along the lines of, "I'll say it a thousand times. When you have a three point lead, you need to guard the three-point line. Give up any penetration, give up the concession basket, but guard the three. How do you not guard the three point shooters? I've said it a thousand times, but it still happens nine hundred and ninety nine."
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Kei wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
Kei wrote:
Stu was bemoaning the lack of defense of the arc at the end of regulation. He kept saying it again and again. The one quote I remember most vividly was something along the lines of, "I'll say it a thousand times. When you have a three point lead, you need to guard the three-point line. Give up any penetration, give up the concession basket, but guard the three. How do you not guard the three point shooters? I've said it a thousand times, but it still happens nine hundred and ninety nine."
Ah Yes . . . . Stu has been persistently/consistently saying that. Confirms Kobe/PJ's fear of inexperience with this team - though even Kobe made some errors (hoping that it was the result of the other players not being in the right position hence forcing Kobe to try to do something special to bail the team out?!?!)
karlmalonefan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject:

RYZ wrote:
LABigBoi wrote:
One other observation I have is that I can't count how many times Lamar just hung out at the top of the key, I know he had a good game last night, but the gameplan has changed from the games we won or should have. If you go back to games 1-3, you'd see that he was absolutely killing the suns in the post with either scoring or passing to open cutters or shooters. Why have we abandoned that philosophy that got us to to 3-1 in the 1st place??? I will never figure that out... If ain't broke, don't fix it!!!

They've started doubling Lamar from the baseline almost every time he sets up on the right block; why he doesn't turn and face up immediately on the catch is beyond me. The Suns have been doing it for three games now and instead of adjusting, Lamar has by and large decided to avoid the area altogether, or he looks to pass almost immediately after the entry. Another in a list of counter-adjustments we've yet to see from Phil and his team.
Nah, that's how kwame was getting all those early dunks. they were doubling Lamar on the strong side, leaving kwame open for dunks...It was working early on. I don't care if they double team Lamar, he can counter that by passing to the weak side or by turning and facing up and dribbling into the paint. He did that several times and we usually ended up with a score or free throws. We need Lamar in the post on the strong side, Kwame on the weak side (or vice versa) and luke, kobe and smush/devean cutting and spotting up for shots. We've got to pound them inside and drive to the basket. We settled for way too many outside jumpers...they were in foul trouble and we let them off the hook.
angrypuppy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 2:48 pm    Post subject:

^

That being said, they've got to keep Kwame in the game. The Laker perimeter is porous, and Kwame all too often gets exposed and fouls.
teej
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject:

im in an emotional crisis right now.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:45 pm    Post subject:

karlmalonefan wrote:
Nah, that's how kwame was getting all those early dunks. they were doubling Lamar on the strong side, leaving kwame open for dunks...It was working early on. I don't care if they double team Lamar, he can counter that by passing to the weak side or by turning and facing up and dribbling into the paint. He did that several times and we usually ended up with a score or free throws. We need Lamar in the post on the strong side, Kwame on the weak side (or vice versa) and luke, kobe and smush/devean cutting and spotting up for shots. We've got to pound them inside and drive to the basket. We settled for way too many outside jumpers...they were in foul trouble and we let them off the hook.
Agree that the Lakers should pound them creating foul trouble for the Suns' "bigs" - since they all had at least 4 fouls by the end of the game. LO has been having problems dribbling to the paint because they are funneling him to the baseline where they have set-up a pre-designed trap while seemingly blocking the baseline pass to the opposite where a 3 point shooter is waiting (see Nash doing this a number of times in Game 6).
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject:

I'd write another article on MVN, but I found when I write articles after losses, they all sound the same.

It's always the same keys.

1. Offensive execution. Parker shouldn't be breaking the triangle to create his own play. Bryant and Odom should be getting touches every possession. Parker should be getting touches in the post against Nash, where he's been successful. Whoever has the weakest defender, dives straight to the post. Walton could have Barbosa on him. Odom and Marion. Parker and Nash.

2. Defense. Lakers have gotten lazier fighting picks and a POOR job of hedging and rotating on pick and roll situations. Kwame has done a poor job of defending the perimeter... I mean, how dumb is it to rotate late to Tim Thomas and not give the rest of your teammates a chance to make a defensive play?

That goes for EVERY pick and roll situation and EVERY Suns player.

3. Rebounding. Nuff said.

4. Turnovers. Nuff said.

5. Transition defense. The Lakers have been getting killed on points off turnovers AND the Suns are getting the fast break points they've been getting all season against everyone.

Same 5 keys every game.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject:

AGREED
CorkyTomjanovich
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject:

We can't exploit the matchup problems when they are collapsing all 5 guys.

They are pre-rotating to Cook on pick and pops, we have to put another shooter on the perimeter, and hit the extra pass, Kobe and Odom have been letting the double catch them on the perimeter, they have to make the pass sooner.

Kwame's D has been TRAGIC. All he had to do was run out to Thomas and put his hands up, THATS IT. Instead Kwame flys by him, and Thomas drains the 3. I CAN NOT GET THIS PLAY OUT OF MY HEAD.

Phil with a giant mistake, Sasha should be getting Smush's minutes if Smush is going to be sucking like this.
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Sat May 06, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject:

^Yes you can. They're not collapsing all 5 guys. It's just a strong double team with team defense sagging in the paint. That leaves at least 2 players open.

Considering Parker's, Odom's, and Walton's height/length advantages over Nash, Marion, and Barbosa.... they better find the open man. If they can't, they're soft.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3
Jump to: