May 18th: "Bryant-Barkley faceoff fizzles" "Bryant, Brand Are All-NBA"

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: May 18th: "Bryant-Barkley faceoff fizzles" "Bryant, Brand Are All-NBA"

Bryant-Barkley faceoff fizzles

MICHAEL LEV MICHAEL LEV
Register columnist
Mlev [AT] ocregister.com

The much-hyped face-to-face between Kobe Bryant and Charles Barkley featured few fireworks Wednesday night.

Bryant served as a guest analyst in TNT's studio, where earlier this month Barkley criticized Bryant for being "selfish" when he took only three shots in the second half of the Lakers' Game 7 loss to Phoenix in the first round of the playoffs. The comment clearly irked Bryant, prompting a series of text messages between them.

They sat at opposite ends of TNT's studio during the Cleveland-Detroit and Dallas-San Antonio games, and host Ernie Johnson plunged into their disagreement as soon as the Game 1 halftime show began, first letting Barkley have his say.

Barkley: "I criticized Kobe in Game7. He didn't like it. He let me know it. I think I probably made one mistake: Taking it public. But I wanted to get his side, his point of view. I have no problem with him disagreeing with me. He didn't take it public; I did. I didn't like the way he played in Game 7 because I didn't think he was aggressive. I understand why he didn't like it. He let me know it. And to me, that should've been the end of it."

Last edited by Phil on Thu May 18, 2006 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject:

Bryant, Brand Are All-NBA
Mike Bresnahan
May 18, 2006

Lakers guard Kobe Bryant was back on the All-NBA first team after a one-season demotion, and Clippers forward Elton Brand was selected to the second team, the league announced Wednesday.

Bryant received 597 voting points from writers and broadcasters, second only to the 610 received by Cleveland forward LeBron James. Other first-team members were Miami center Shaquille O'Neal, Dallas forward Dirk Nowitzki and Phoenix guard Steve Nash, who last week was selected the league's most valuable player.

Bryant was a third-team selection last season, a downgrade that Lakers Coach Phil Jackson later referred to as a "slap in the face for Kobe."

Bryant, who averaged a league-best 35.4 points, is now a four-time first-team member. He has made the second team twice.

"I'm more excited to be on first team All-Defense," Bryant said, referring to an honor he received last week. "I'm really, really pumped about that. The scoring title obviously is cool and being first-team All-NBA is an incredible honor. But All-Defense, it just shows the will to win, to play at both ends."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:51 am    Post subject:

Bryant Caught Off Guard
The Lakers star says the criticism he has received nationally for his play in Game 7 against the Suns is 'completely inaccurate.'
By Mike Bresnahan, Times Staff Writer
May 18, 2006

In a phone interview after his eagerly awaited session with Charles Barkley on TNT, Kobe Bryant defended his play in the second half of Game 7 against the Phoenix Suns and expressed surprise, if not disenchantment, with criticism that has since tracked him.

Bryant, who appeared as a TNT in-studio analyst Wednesday night in Atlanta, told The Times that post-Phoenix scrutiny from media members nationally and in Los Angeles was "completely inaccurate."

Bryant scored 24 points in Game 7, only one in the second half. He missed all three of his second-half shots in the Lakers' 121-90 loss to the Suns on May 6.

"It's just a matter of people being completely inaccurate," Bryant said. "You look at what we had done the entire series, it was the same thing. We had a 12-point deficit in Game 4 [actually eight points]. We had a game plan and we stuck with it. You look at Game 4, I took only 14 shots. People were just inaccurate."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject:

Kobe and Charles face off on TNT
Published May 18, 2006, 6:43 AM EDT

Jack Nicholson was in Phoenix Tuesday night for the Clippers-Suns game. The actor said: "I came out here in case Charles [Barkley] tries to get tough with my man Kobe [Bryant]."

Bryant faced off against Barkley on the TNT studio show Wednesday night.

Barkley discussed his previous criticism of Bryant's Game 7 performance against the Suns in the first round.

"I criticized Kobe in game seven," Barkley said. "He didn't like it and he let me know it. I think I probably made one mistake by taking it public, but I wanted to get his side and his point of view. I have no problem with him disagreeing with me."
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject:

Kobe a Power Ranger?
Wednesday, May 17, 2006
Ben Maller Exclusive!!

Kobe Bryant, star guard of the Los Angeles Lakers, is lined up to play a children's super hero in the TV series "Power Rangers Relic Hunters," set to air in 2007, according to BENMALLER.COM mole the "sportsjunkie."

Kobe is rumored for the role of the Blue Power Ranger in the project that is categorized as being in production.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject:

Brown still subject of probe

LOS ANGELES - Lakers center Kwame Brown is still the subject of an investigation into an alleged sexual assault that was reported weeks ago, police said Wednesday.

Police spokesman Lt. Paul Vernon said he didn't know whether investigators had interviewed Brown, who has maintained his innocence.

Brown's attorney, Brian O'Neill, refused to comment Wednesday.

Police revealed May 2 that they were investigating a report of a sexual assault alleged to have occurred early on April 29, hours after the Lakers beat Phoenix in Game 3 of their NBA playoff series.

Police did not say when the report was filed or by whom. No charges have been filed.
Phil
Retired

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 8:11 am    Post subject:

Guards to begin draft workouts
UCLA's sophomore guards Arron Afflalo and Jordan Farmar might be staying in Los Angeles even if they forego their two years of college eligibility for the NBA. Both the Lakers and the Clippers will stage private workouts for Afflalo and Farmar, the Los Angeles Times reported on Wednesday.

Both guards, who declared for the NBA Draft on April 20, are projected to be late first-round or early second-round picks if they stay in this year's draft, held June 28.

It is usually customary for NBA teams to host workouts for their local eligible prospects.

Last week, ESPN.com reported that UCLA assistant coach Kerry Keating was in Los Angeles viewing local NBA workouts to help prepare for both the Laker and Clipper workouts.

Both players, however, can't work out for either team until they become part-time students. They are projected to do that by Friday, when they drop one of their three classes.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: