X's and O's Discussion (With Video)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2014 12:56 am    Post subject: X's and O's Discussion (With Video)

Let's share some of our X's and O's thoughts here about the recent preseason games. Hopefully we can all start to see for ourselves whether the team is executing properly or which players are or are not making mistakes, rather than just making judgements based on the box score.

----------------

I'll start off by identifying some of the sets that the Lakers are running.

OFFENSE:

Lakers working a lot more of the triangle in the second game.
In the first preseason game, we saw the Lakers run some bits of the triangle offense (namely pinch post), but mostly Princeton. Against the Warriors, from the very first set, they ran the first option of the classic Triangle.

You have one player in the corner and one on the wing and one on the low block. After the ball goes into the post, both players cut through, with the wing player screening for the second post player on the weak side. The first post player can either try to score or find the second player around the free throw line.

http://www.fastmodelsports.com/library/basketball/fastdraw/27785/play--Clear-Post-play-in-the-Triangle

You can see Randle hitting the jumper off this action:

Hill got it to Boozer off the same action a couple of times as well.

Extra: Here is the pinch post option that they started running in the first game. When you can't get the ball in the post in the first option, you swing it to the weak side for the two man game. The post player posts up at the elbow. The passer gets to ball to him and then cuts around for the handoff. There is also an option to go screen roll depending on what the defense does. The Lakers went into it a couple times directly without setting up the initial triangle.

Here they go to Kobe in the pinch post after the first option low post is denied, and he breaks off the play early before the cutter can come around, to toss in a fadeaway.

It will be interesting to see whose Triangle looks better this year, the Lakers or the Knicks, who go into it in just about every possession under Phil:

More Princeton in the first game, not so much the second
Looking through the Laker highlights, I didn't much Princeton, so I went back to the first game to find a basic Princeton set. Princeton for the most part is four out and one in, either the low post or the high post. Where there is guard to guard pass at the top (and usually another pass to the wing), and the first passer cuts around a backscreen at the elbow through to the other side, thats usually what is known as "Chin", and there are quite a few variations on what comes after.

For example:

Other offensive sets
Other than the many high pick and rolls and post isos, they also used some common NBA sets like Floppy and Horns (two elbow posts and two shooters in corners):

Floppy:

Horns into Lin-Davis alleyoop:

They also ran a elevator play by Kobe and Boozer for Jeremy Lin, which is usually a Warriors specialty:

Overall, there's little difference as to what Byron ran with the Cavs. Either of the two guards up top can initiate the offense, so it really doesn't matter who is the "one" or who is the "two", so expect to see any combination of two of Lin, Nash, Clarkson, Kobe, and Ellington on the court at the same time, and all having the opportunity to be the setup man. This is as opposed to the Spurs who run Zipper cuts to maximize the times that the plays are set up by Tony Parker no matter which spot on the floor.

It's too early to say how effective this offense will be with this group. Going forward I'll try to keep track of what's working for them with which players and what's not.

DEFENSE:
I didn't find too many clips of the Lakers defending against either team, so I'll limit it to where I saw the defensive breakdowns.

Wes mostly to blame
Among the starters, although Kobe and Boozer had their breakdowns, it was Wesley Johnson who was the main culprit, especially in letting Klay Thompson go off.

The first Klay basket looked like Kobe's assignment, but it was actually Wes' fault in helping unnecessarily and then losing Klay.

The second one, Jordan Hill doesn't get a body on Klay who gets the offensive board, but then Wes makes the mistake of going under the double screen and giving up an open 3.

After a decent contest where Klay just hits the 3 in Wes' face, in the next sequence, Wes lets Klay get a step on him in transition and gives up a preventable shooting foul.

Klay goes on to abuse Clarkson due to the size and experience advantage. Later, Wes forces Klay middle for some reason and gives up an easy layup:

Then Wes gets caught reaching for the steal and gives up an open 3.

Along with his poor offensive showing, it's no surprise that Wes was among the worse +/- at -14. If he has a couple more games like this, I hope Byron gives Ellington or X a chance at the starting position.

As for defense on Curry, I didn't really see Lin doing anything demonstrably wrong other than fouling on the jumpers. Curry is pretty much unguardable when he's hitting.

No defense on the split action
One thing I did notice is that the Lakers looked like they didn't know how to defend the split action, which is odd given that it's a staple of the Princeton Offense:

They probably should have switched on those, which sometimes is the only option, instead of giving up wide open buckets. This is something that I'd actually like to see a lot more from the Lakers on offense, given that a switch would likely result in a PG guarding Kobe in the post or a SG defending Nash / Lin on the pick and roll. A similar action on the earlier Horns play resulted in the Lin-Davis alleyoop.

-------------

So thats it for my part. Hopefully some of our resident coaches can chime in. Also, I don't have the energy to go into any advanced stat breakdown here (not even sure if any info is available in preseason), but if someone does, that would be great.

Last edited by fiendishoc on Wed Oct 15, 2014 11:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2014 10:53 pm    Post subject:

Here's BBallbreakdown going through the sets in detail:

He shows that they aren't running the offensive particularly well- but that's to be expected as they didn't spend much time on offense in camp. I do worry that if they don't emphasize stepping out behind the line, the parade of long 2s will continue, no matter what offense they run, just because of the tendencies of the players.

And you see from the clips why stretch fours are becoming so important. Boozer is letting his defender get in the way of the sets and pick and rolls most of the time by hanging close to the basket.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:41 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Here's BBallbreakdown going through the sets in detail:

He shows that they aren't running the offensive particularly well- but that's to be expected as they didn't spend much time on offense in camp. I do worry that if they don't emphasize stepping out behind the line, the parade of long 2s will continue, no matter what offense they run, just because of the tendencies of the players.

And you see from the clips why stretch fours are becoming so important. Boozer is letting his defender get in the way of the sets and pick and rolls most of the time by hanging close to the basket.

Very nice analysis love these basketball breakdown videos.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject:

Nice post. Somehow I missed it the first time around. So I'll give it a sticky.

Here's a video I posted a while back of Cleveland's offense with Scott. Scott has been heading in the same direction. Obviously, having Kobe and different talent will change some things, but you can compare with the above:

I don't totally agree with the BBall Breakdown that you need to go full Princeton or full Triangle for success. A lot of offenses use bits and pieces of these successfully. It just depends on the talent and coaches on whether or not you can be effective.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:59 am    Post subject:

Agreed. I think you can incorporate an offense that utilizes both.
There are so many similarities.

The team just need to really focus in on setting better off-ball picks.
If those screens are weak (or non-existent), it destroys the offense.
You've GOT to make the D move and make switching/not switching decisions. Then you strike where the D made the mistake.

But weak/no screens lets the D off the hook and dissolves any offensive structure.
Might as well just take the long-2 early and just get it over with (since the long-2 is an eventuality anyway).
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:19 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:

Here's a video I posted a while back of Cleveland's offense with Scott. Scott has been heading in the same direction. Obviously, having Kobe and different talent will change some things, but you can compare with the above:

I don't totally agree with the BBall Breakdown that you need to go full Princeton or full Triangle for success. A lot of offenses use bits and pieces of these successfully. It just depends on the talent and coaches on whether or not you can be effective.

A ton of pindown screens and handoffs in that video. That isn't a problem in and of itself, but...

1) The guards should be either curling to the basket or fading to the 3 point line.
2) The screeners need to roll off of the screens in a "read opposite" fashion in order to be scoring threats. (one rolls toward the basket or seals to the right while the other pops left, or vice versa)

Otherwise, it's a recipe for long 2's, which you see a ton of in that video. The down screeners are clearly just down screeners here, and aren't a threat to score off of a roll or a slip screen. This is archaic stuff and I'm really discouraged by it.
B_P
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

A ton of pindown screens and handoffs in that video. That isn't a problem in and of itself, but...

1) The guards should be either curling to the basket or fading to the 3 point line.
2) The screeners need to roll off of the screens in a "read opposite" fashion in order to be scoring threats. (one rolls toward the basket or seals to the right while the other pops left, or vice versa)

Otherwise, it's a recipe for long 2's, which you see a ton of in that video. The down screeners are clearly just down screeners here, and aren't a threat to score off of a roll or a slip screen. This is archaic stuff and I'm really discouraged by it.

Totally agree.

As always: it's about doing the little things.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 12:33 pm    Post subject:

B_P wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Totally agree.

I think the way that I'd characterize it is that it's about putting everyone in position to be a threat. This is what Popovich does best in the design of his offensive sets. I can only speak in generalities without accompanying visuals, but if you're taking one thing away, BY DEFINITION you're giving something else up. It's just a matter of having someone in the place to be able to exploit that.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:32 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
B_P wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:
DancingBarry wrote:

Totally agree.

I think the way that I'd characterize it is that it's about putting everyone in position to be a threat. This is what Popovich does best in the design of his offensive sets. I can only speak in generalities without accompanying visuals, but if you're taking one thing away, BY DEFINITION you're giving something else up. It's just a matter of having someone in the place to be able to exploit that.

You're absolutely right, the highlight vid of the cavs offense is so heavily dependent on midrange-long 2's, and a ton of static screens where the screen setter holds position then turns to ballwatch. Definitely not very inspiring stuff.

Cappuccino offense. Whole lot of froth and foam but not that much substance.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:53 pm    Post subject:

Not good. I'm actually more worried now after watching and reading this.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 8:34 pm    Post subject:

I'm waiting until we get our playmakers back before final judgement, but our offense has looked bad so far. All side Yp side with no dribble penetration
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject:

I guess I probably shouldn't have picked on Wes in the first post, because its obvious from the last two games that the problems go beyond him, or even Kobe and Boozer (Randle was also late on a lot of rotations in the Jazz game in his limited time).

The defensive philosophy is as broken as the offensive philosophy, and it's not likely to get better throughout the season. I base this on the many old Cavs games I watched over the summer.

The key phrase is "help the helper". In Byron's case it means help no matter if your assignment is in a position to score at a high efficiency (like in the corner or open lane to the basket) one pass away. He says he wants the defense "on a string" as in everyone rotating perfectly to cover each helper, but that is simply really hard to do without being able to each others minds and tendencies, no matter how much you yell.

A lot of times they're so eager to help you have 2 players rotating to the same guy:

Two wide open 3 point shooters:

Triple team, give up a dunk:

They are also overzealous in trying to deny passes, and then losing their man on backdoors or out beyond the three point line.

This is a coaching problem more than it is a talent problem. The effort is there, but by doing these things, they are giving up breakdowns without the opponent even needing to beat his defender or catch them on screens. These are things I saw all season with Cavs in 2012. You will often see the defender at the wing go down to help in the post for no reason and give up a wide open 3 one pass away.

Transition is also an issue as too often most of the team is caught way below the FT line when possession changes, especially with their SG in the post.

These are makes, but imagine if they missed, then how many people are getting back in time:

Given their lack of athletes, they should probably punt on offensive rebounds, and send several players back full sprint as soon as a Laker shot goes up.

Most good defensive coaches these days (like Thib, Clifford) will tell their team to stay at home on 3pt shooters, pack the paint, don't gamble (other than to give up long 2s), and run back on D when the ball goes up, precisely not to give up these high efficiency shots. Unfortunately, for Byron, it looks like his defensive principles may be as outdated as his no 3 offense.
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject:

You're not giving me warm and fuzzies right now friendishoc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:47 pm    Post subject:

22 wrote:

Haha, maybe my tone was a bit affected after just watching that disaster of a game (against the supposed worst team in the West).
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 9:53 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
22 wrote:

Haha, maybe my tone was a bit affected after just watching that disaster of a game (against the supposed worst team in the West).

Lol you gotta tell it like it is, I don't blame you. I was just really hopeful we'd look more like a bball team this year with a discernable system and some type of identity.

It's still early but right now the trend doesn't look good
cheesysapien
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for these friendishoc. The reality is not so good to look at now, but we can only improve if we take a good look at reality. It is always interesting to learn more about any sports that we watch.

As for Purple and Gold, I for one believe we will keep getting better, the better days for this year are yet to come. Give this team some time folks. Remember what Kobe said in one of the interviews after being asked about this group. He said "Honestly, this is a good group, a tough group."

chessysapien - forever cheesy, forever hopeful ...
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 12:19 am    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
I guess I probably shouldn't have picked on Wes in the first post, because its obvious from the last two games that the problems go beyond him, or even Kobe and Boozer (Randle was also late on a lot of rotations in the Jazz game in his limited time).

The defensive philosophy is as broken as the offensive philosophy, and it's not likely to get better throughout the season. I base this on the many old Cavs games I watched over the summer.

The key phrase is "help the helper". In Byron's case it means help no matter if your assignment is in a position to score at a high efficiency (like in the corner or open lane to the basket) one pass away. He says he wants the defense "on a string" as in everyone rotating perfectly to cover each helper, but that is simply really hard to do without being able to each others minds and tendencies, no matter how much you yell.

A lot of times they're so eager to help you have 2 players rotating to the same guy:

Two wide open 3 point shooters:

Triple team, give up a dunk:

They are also overzealous in trying to deny passes, and then losing their man on backdoors or out beyond the three point line.

This is a coaching problem more than it is a talent problem. The effort is there, but by doing these things, they are giving up breakdowns without the opponent even needing to beat his defender or catch them on screens. These are things I saw all season with Cavs in 2012. You will often see the defender at the wing go down to help in the post for no reason and give up a wide open 3 one pass away.

Transition is also an issue as too often most of the team is caught way below the FT line when possession changes, especially with their SG in the post.

These are makes, but imagine if they missed, then how many people are getting back in time:

Given their lack of athletes, they should probably punt on offensive rebounds, and send several players back full sprint as soon as a Laker shot goes up.

Most good defensive coaches these days (like Thib, Clifford) will tell their team to stay at home on 3pt shooters, pack the paint, don't gamble (other than to give up long 2s), and run back on D when the ball goes up, precisely not to give up these high efficiency shots. Unfortunately, for Byron, it looks like his defensive principles may be as outdated as his no 3 offense.

oldschool, outdated basketball philosophies that are outdated for a reason. I like that he's old school in building a team's camaraderie and commitment to each other, but i really don't like how old school his strategies and systems are. Lakers need to modernize.

I do think there are some breakdowns that are easily correctable after watching those clips though.
ryan_c
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 1:35 am    Post subject:

Good stuff fiendishoc. Why not email/send your analysis to Laker's coaching stuff. Who knows it might help. If your analysis can be brought to Laker's stuff, it might be helpful.
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:19 am    Post subject:

ryan_c wrote:
Good stuff fiendishoc. Why not email/send your analysis to Laker's coaching stuff. Who knows it might help. If your analysis can be brought to Laker's stuff, it might be helpful.

Thanks, but even if we could get their attention, it likely wouldn't affect anything. Their video coordinator Tom Bialaszewski has worked w/ D'Antoni and Brown, and has been around the league- no doubt he will show them all the offensive and defensive breakdowns. I think a lot of the issues, particularly the details on the offensive end (like the bad screening pointed out by GT and DB) will be fixed over time with more practice.

It's the big things, that I'm concerned about, and those come down to the head coach. No doubt Byron's heard all the analytic based criticism already, but he's unlikely to make any big changes to his system. Unfortunately he also has a reputation for being stubborn in his ways. Just listen to all the deflections of blame going on- injuries, rookies, chemistry, fatigue, etc., despite being so upbeat on the roster going into the season.

The best thing you would hope for is that they take an extended look at what the other teams have done to improve and build on them- Charlotte going from one of the worst to one of the best defensive teams, and Phoenix going from one of the worst to one of best offensive teams. It's worth noting that both teams were coached by coaches with no previous head coaching experience, a category completely ruled out by the Lakers front office for some bizarre reason. Check out what Hornacek said before the season started for the Suns last year:

Quote:
You guys were either no. 1 or no. 2 in midrange jumpers, and fell way below the league’s average in 3-point attempts. Do you want to change that?

Oh, yeah. We gotta get rid of that long 2. I’m not opposed to the middle jumper, in that 15- or 16-foot range. I think all but two teams that were in the playoffs, their effective field goal percentages were above 51 percent. If you can shoot 15-footers and shoot 52 percent, OK, you’re beating the average. You can’t totally discount those shots.

Especially as defenses get better, sometimes they are the only open shots you can get. You’re not getting a corner 3 or a dunk every time down against the Pacers.

Right. We’ll take a look at it all. But the ones we have to eliminate are the ones that are within 4 or 5 feet of the 3-point line. Those are low-percentage shots worth two points.

Zach Lowe has written some great articles that probably everyone around the league reads, and is probably the best bet to influence people within the organization if they haven't read these already.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/the-facts-and-fiction-of-the-bobcatss-rising-defense/

http://grantland.com/features/the-charlotte-construction-co-bobcats-hornets-rebuilding-nba/

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/qa-new-phoenix-head-coach-jeff-hornacek-on-the-rebuilding-suns-and-the-glory-days-of-the-jazz/

Here's another article written by Matt Moore on how Hornacek improved the offense:

http://www.cbssports.com/nba/eye-on-basketball/24395786/calm-cool-and-collected-how-jeff-hornaceks-keeping-the-suns-hot
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:08 pm    Post subject:

This is torture to watch. So much of this is fixable. I know we're not an especially talented team, but these schemes are embarrassing. This offense is designed to get mid-to-long range 2's without your feet set. Simply inexcusable.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:54 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
This is torture to watch. So much of this is fixable. I know we're not an especially talented team, but these schemes are embarrassing. This offense is designed to get mid-to-long range 2's without your feet set. Simply inexcusable.

I agree with everything you've said in regards to our offense in the various threads GT. Very concerning that this close to the season, the entire staff seems oblivious to this.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

I agree with everything you've said in regards to our offense in the various threads GT. Very concerning that this close to the season, the entire staff seems oblivious to this.

Does somebody need to Tonya Harding Pressey so we can get GT in there? I bet LakerLanny would be willing to do it.

Kiss my Converse.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:59 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

Does somebody need to Tonya Harding Pressey so we can get GT in there? I bet LakerLanny would be willing to do it.

The over/under is 31 games I believe. I was convinced that with ALL those injuries and still winning 28 games last year...we were a gimme to get the over.

I don't know anymore. This is so bad it's literally unwatchable.
Hard_Butter
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 7:04 pm    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

The over/under is 31 games I believe. I was convinced that with ALL those injuries and still winning 28 games last year...we were a gimme to get the over.

I don't know anymore. This is so bad it's literally unwatchable.

Byron's actually making me miss MDA. That how bad it is, brotha.

Kiss my Converse.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2014 9:34 pm    Post subject:

EchoZulu wrote:
jonnybravo wrote:
GoldenThroat wrote:

LOL. I'm a long way from being able to coach on that level, but thanks.

Thankfully we forced a kajillion turnovers tonight and turned up the pace in the 2nd half, eliminating the need to run much half court offense. Very cathartic to see them win.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21  Next
Page 1 of 21
Jump to: