Dekker - Wisconsin
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KeepItRealOrElse
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2015 11:19 pm    Post subject:

[quote="LakersMD"]He doesn't have the handle to be much more than a hustle guy and spot up shooter at the 3 spot in the NBA.[/quote

His handle is actually underrated. The kid gets underrated a lot.
Do I think he'll do a lot of creating and dancing on the perimeter, no, but he can put the ball on the floor. He's done some dancing with ball in college. Don't know if any of that will translate to the next level tho
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 7:48 am    Post subject:

He made money in the tourney, and lost some last night. Came up short when it mattered. Still a 1st rounder, but I think more of the 15-25 range.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:27 am    Post subject:

[quote="KeepItRealOrElse"]
LakersMD wrote:
He doesn't have the handle to be much more than a hustle guy and spot up shooter at the 3 spot in the NBA.[/quote

Do I think he'll do a lot of creating and dancing on the perimeter, no, but he can put the ball on the floor. He's done some dancing with ball in college. Don't know if any of that will translate to the next level tho

Dekker seemed to be Wisconsin's only guy who can go get a basket when their swing offense gets bogged down. I think the Wisconsin system may have hindered his ability to showcase his individual basketball skills, but I'd have to watch more to really get a feel for that.
GoldenThroat

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 11:34 am    Post subject:

44TheLogo wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Dekker is clutch. You can't deny that.

Quiet game today from Dekker I thought.

He exhibited the good and the bad about his game today, IMO. He struggled getting separation from his defender when he had the ball in his hands, and went cold on his spot ups, where he's been just so-so for most of the season. Had a hard time defending the more athletic guys when he was matched up with them as well. I actually think he's a decent athlete, but he plays too tall on both ends, and that slows down his initial burst. It's correctable with recognition and hard work, but it will be tough because that sort of thing is really ingrained in a player at this point of his career.

On the good side of things, he showed an excellent feel for cutting and on the offensive boards. I like a guy who can still find ways to contribute even when he's cold from the field. Very competitive.

I actually have the opposite worry that you have, and think that maybe Wisconsin's system bolsters him a bit and he'd struggle outside of it. Bo Ryan is notoriously rigid and detail oriented in his coaching approach, meaning that he gives his players exactly what he expects them to do in nearly every situation. Part of the ability to get those buckets around the rim is concise "when this happens, you do this" direction from your coach. That specificity + time in a system leads to guys merely reacting, and the result is that they're a split second ahead of everyone else. I had a kid who was 5'7", 125lbs (and not a PG either) make 2nd Team All-League his senior year in large part because of this phenomenon. He was so fluent in what I wanted to do that he could run a practice by himself, and in games he was a step ahead of everyone on both ends of the court, because he'd been part of the system for so long. That, and he could shoot his ass off.

Anyway, I digress. I think Dekker is best suited for a team that plays system basketball. San Antonio, Atlanta...even the Knicks would be a good fit in the early 2nd.
LakersMD
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 3:00 pm    Post subject:

KeepItRealOrElse wrote:
LakersMD wrote:
He doesn't have the handle to be much more than a hustle guy and spot up shooter at the 3 spot in the NBA.

Fair enough. I just see him having a pretty weak left hand, playing too upright with a high dribble that allowed him to be stripped/poked continually by Matt Jones and Winslow last night. He does have good size for position and is pretty good driving to his right though.
44TheLogo
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2015 4:07 pm    Post subject:

GoldenThroat wrote:
44TheLogo wrote:
LakerLogic wrote:
Dekker is clutch. You can't deny that.

Quiet game today from Dekker I thought.

He exhibited the good and the bad about his game today, IMO. He struggled getting separation from his defender when he had the ball in his hands, and went cold on his spot ups, where he's been just so-so for most of the season. Had a hard time defending the more athletic guys when he was matched up with them as well. I actually think he's a decent athlete, but he plays too tall on both ends, and that slows down his initial burst. It's correctable with recognition and hard work, but it will be tough because that sort of thing is really ingrained in a player at this point of his career.

On the good side of things, he showed an excellent feel for cutting and on the offensive boards. I like a guy who can still find ways to contribute even when he's cold from the field. Very competitive.

I actually have the opposite worry that you have, and think that maybe Wisconsin's system bolsters him a bit and he'd struggle outside of it. Bo Ryan is notoriously rigid and detail oriented in his coaching approach, meaning that he gives his players exactly what he expects them to do in nearly every situation. Part of the ability to get those buckets around the rim is concise "when this happens, you do this" direction from your coach. That specificity + time in a system leads to guys merely reacting, and the result is that they're a split second ahead of everyone else. I had a kid who was 5'7", 125lbs (and not a PG either) make 2nd Team All-League his senior year in large part because of this phenomenon. He was so fluent in what I wanted to do that he could run a practice by himself, and in games he was a step ahead of everyone on both ends of the court, because he'd been part of the system for so long. That, and he could shoot his ass off.

Anyway, I digress. I think Dekker is best suited for a team that plays system basketball. San Antonio, Atlanta...even the Knicks would be a good fit in the early 2nd.

Yeah, interesting insights. I definitely needed to watch more Wisconsin than I had to really get a sense for his abilities. I follow Duke and ACC pretty exclusively so I only saw the two Duke games and Kentucky, but he was injured in the first Duke game, so I've only watched him play twice this year.

My thoughts were pretty much solely based on his ability to get buckets on his own in crunch time vs Kentucky when their offense went quiet.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> NBA Draft All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: