---OFFICIAL 2015 NBA DRAFT DAY THREAD--- (P.1: All Picks and Draft-Related Trades)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deal
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:23 pm    Post subject:

The Drafts not over; how can this be official anything?
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:26 pm    Post subject:

audioaxes wrote:
76ers are a big loser... Noel, Embiid, Okafor... Someone needs to remind them there's 4 other positions on a basketball team

They're doing the anti-Golden State. They will play with five centers at once.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:28 pm    Post subject:

mad55557777
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:30 pm    Post subject:

I wouldn't call lakers a loser yet, the front office is taking a big chance, had they went on and pick okafor, and he becomes a bust, nobody would blame them for taking the safe route, and yet they took Russell.
I stand by their decision
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:38 pm    Post subject:

monster_montego wrote:
Drifts wrote:
biggest winners: 76ers, Orlando
biggest losers: Lakers, Knicks

I agree.

Had a chance to grab oak, and they blew it for a point guard. A point guard.
A point guard. A point guard over a sure thing at center. A point guard. We're talking about a point guard over a center. Cmon man. A point guard.

Heard you the first time.

Quote:
Guards grow on trees an can be easily neutralized.

So Kobe, Jordan, etc, all easily neutralized?

Quote:
There are plenty of swing men defenders that can neutalize the best guard's abilities (curry getting broken in by delladova).

Ummm, what did Curry average in the Finals? Yeah. Next....

Quote:
Good Big men are harder to come by. Front office dropped the ball with this pick. We already had clarkson. He might not be as good as Russell in a few years, but having a great center would have supplemented whatever clarkson's shortcomings were. I give up.

I jumped for joy at the thought of getting okafor upon learning our obtainment of the second pick. Now I'm glued to my bed in disappointment.

There are half a dozen very good big men available in free agency. So they're not that hard to come by. I am not sure why this is so hard for people to grasp. The FO felt Cousins was better than Okafor. The FO didn't feel Oakfor was on par with Kareem, Wilt or Shaq. I am sure he will be a very good player. But a transcendent talent? Probably not.

You're acting like Mitch et al. didn't have any clue what all was riding on this pick and they just kind of randomly picked some kid without doing any due diligence. The fact is that they have watched more footage of both these kids than you or anyone else on this board and they spent more time with both of them. In their professional opinion Okafor was not the talent that was going to take the Lakers back to the promised land. It is quite possible they are correct. A lot of people outside of the Lakers organization also thought Russell was the right pick here. But no, the reflexive "we have to pick a big because that is how it was always done" mindset is an archaic remnant of an era that doesn't exist anymore. Move on.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 6:59 pm    Post subject:

monster_montego wrote:
Drifts wrote:
biggest winners: 76ers, Orlando
biggest losers: Lakers, Knicks

I agree.

Had a chance to grab oak, and they blew it for a point guard. A point guard.
A point guard. A point guard over a sure thing at center. A point guard. We're talking about a point guard over a center. Cmon man. A point guard.

Guards grow on trees an can be easily neutralized. There are plenty of swing men defenders that can neutalize the best guard's abilities (curry getting broken in by delladova).

Good Big men are harder to come by. Front office dropped the ball with this pick. We already had clarkson. He might not be as good as Russell in a few years, but having a great center would have supplemented whatever clarkson's shortcomings were. I give up.

I jumped for joy at the thought of getting okafor upon learning our obtainment of the second pick. Now I'm glued to my bed in disappointment.
man you aint the only one brotha.. really felt like okafor could have been the franchise changing piece for us... Russell is going have to be Curry like for me to get over this... Warriors had a super stacked team to win the title, and only won because injuries. history shows you win with dominant bigs. If Okafor because the next Duncan... man this will be forever be remembered ..
laker50
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:01 pm    Post subject: They could have had Nance with the 34 th pick or undrafted

What has the Lakers FO turned into.

Another year of rebuilding. Lucky to make the playoffs. and still big holes to fill.

But they gave up the drafts picks earlier. None next year and 2018.
Look at the Celtics and management. They are in the playoffs.
And with a million first round draft picks in the future.

They had to fill the holes. C and SF still holes.
And have more PFs and SGs than they need.
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: They could have had Nance with the 34 th pick or undrafted

laker50 wrote:
What has the Lakers FO turned into.

Another year of rebuilding. Lucky to make the playoffs. and still big holes to fill.

But they gave up the drafts picks earlier. None next year and 2018.
Look at the Celtics and management. They are in the playoffs.
And with a million first round draft picks in the future.

They had to fill the holes. C and SF still holes.
And have more PFs and SGs than they need.
compare us to crappy boston..ok... still passed on okafor... we will see how that pans out
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:15 pm    Post subject:

These type of threads made right after draft day a little confusing.

No one knew Kobe Bryant would be a franchise player, let alone an all time great, in 1996. No one knew Oden would be a bum or Kwame.

It's so early.

Let these guys at least play a year before declaring winners/losers. Many guys who seem like great picks on draft day - a year later turn out to be "Why did we take that guy".

I tend not to judge what teams do right on draft day - including the Lakers. Somethings are really crazy, and you talk about them. But I can't brand any team a direct loser right now, or a direct winner. The games over the next 2 seasons will decide that.

That said, I think some teams made some good choices later on outside of the top 3. The top 3 were seemingly given (not order, but who would be in it).

Winslow at 10 for Miami was a nice grab. Possible Paul Pierce/Boston 1998 draft pick type of grab.

Payne at 14 for OKC was another really nice grab.

Also liked Knicks trading Hardaway JR for a 19th pick, taking that Jerian Grant. Seems like a good big guard that can pass over people, what they want for their system.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Sting
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:20 pm    Post subject:

man now they are comparing okafor to hakeem, kareem, and duncan on espn... (( ill take okafor over any free agent big.....

okafor
rj hunter ( shooter)
brown (shooter)

would have been an a plus draft... man this is a nightmare
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:
man now they are comparing okafor to hakeem, kareem, and duncan on espn... (( ill take okafor over any free agent big.....

okafor
rj hunter ( shooter)
brown (shooter)

anyone can easily make that comparison... big man with mad post skill, big hands, good passer out of the double team... good passing big... that bank shot too.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
fiendishoc
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:29 pm    Post subject:

Drifts wrote:
Sting wrote:

okafor
rj hunter ( shooter)
brown (shooter)

anyone can easily make that comparison... big man with mad post skill, big hands, good passer out of the double team... good passing big... that bank shot too.

Kareem, Hakeem, and Duncan are three of the all time leading shot blockers in NBA history. There are two sides of the court- that's what makes big men valuable, not just scoring.
Drifts
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:34 pm    Post subject:

fiendishoc wrote:
Drifts wrote:
Sting wrote:

okafor
rj hunter ( shooter)
brown (shooter)

Kareem, Hakeem, and Duncan are three of the all time leading shot blockers in NBA history. There are two sides of the court- that's what makes big men valuable, not just scoring.

I think defense is easier to develop than post offense. and it's not like Russell is a lock down defender.
"Now, if life is coffee, then the jobs, money & position in society are the cups. They are just tools to hold & contain life, but the quality of life doesn't change. Sometimes, by concentrating only on the cup, we fail to enjoy the coffee in it."
Yong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Sting wrote:

okafor
rj hunter ( shooter)
brown (shooter)

wake me up when it's over :'(
City_Dawg
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 7:58 pm    Post subject:

!...
Qsmiff
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:05 pm    Post subject:

Wow....I had no idea this kind of crying was going on in here......really??...... Geez...give it a week!...lol
LakerLogic
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:17 pm    Post subject:

I'm guessing the FO weren't convinced with Okafor's motor and defense. His lack of FT shooting didn't help. Hope it doesn't come back to haunt us. Regardless, I think Russell is too skilled to be a bust. It will take a lot for him to be a superstar though.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:26 pm    Post subject:

SAS is really blasting Phil Jackson....

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 8:37 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
SAS is really blasting Phil Jackson....

I know of course this will come across as defending Phil. However, the Knicks made two picks. Porzingis and Grant. They traded for their 2nd pick. I think it showed a clear style and type of player they want. If you want to run a system, you want the right players for that system. Both guys they got, one is a 7'1 SF basically and another is a 6'5 PG, is exactly the type of guys Phil had as coach around his stars. I doubt people in NY or media will have any patience or tolerance for that approach - but NY tried the traditional way to win for 25 years. They had a great scout/talent elevator in Isiah. They had MDA's influence even for 4-5 years. They were always mediocre to bad. Phil's trying to do something, and it's definitely risky because the league isn't accustomed to a Prez/GM drafting and presenting talent like he did as coach. "I'll take a year just to get the guys to get my system". "I don't want a ball dominant PG, I want 2-3 wings creating like guards and a floor spacing from my PG" Uh, ok, I guess so since you won 6 rings with CHI, we'll give it to you, Phil.

It could fail miserably, but I personally respect that he's sticking to his vision and taking the media/fan heat. Like I said, the Knicks tried it many other ways and they still were always mediocre. All that said, I don't know if this will succeed. What he does with the capspace will really alter their fate. A couple bad K's, they're stuck back to where they began. A couple good contracted players added, they've got it rolling.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
67ShelbyGT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:10 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Mitch. Ballsy move. We're the Lakers. We go big.

Got the player I wanted since late Feb. Nance? When Hunter was there? Can't complain since he got Russell.
lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 9:40 pm    Post subject:

Knicks don't deserve a winning team if thats how their fans are like.....
doughboy90650
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 11:26 pm    Post subject:

See the Mods had a busy day. People were opening news thread like Pop Tarts in the morning. Hopefully the kid does well. Soon as I saw he pick, I was like damn. For sure thought it was Okafor. Leads me to believe some else is coming in the front court.
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 7:42 am    Post subject:

MJ picked Kaminsky with Winslow available!?!?!?

lol Merry Christmas, Riles.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 8:45 am    Post subject:

doughboy90650 wrote:
See the Mods had a busy day. People were opening news thread like Pop Tarts in the morning. Hopefully the kid does well. Soon as I saw he pick, I was like damn. For sure thought it was Okafor. Leads me to believe some else is coming in the front court.

My thoughts sped to LaMarcus Aldridge, Kevin Love and DeAndre Jordan, FA's.

It's being said the league is moving to a guard dominated game. I have my reservations relating to that but will concede to it.

Having said that I'm thinking Jim and crew have a big man in the mix, Love, Jordan or Aldridge. Aldridge is unhappy in Portland, Love may want out of Cleveland, want to play where he was born and went to school, Jordan is unhappy down the hall.

If I had my druthers I'd druther have Oakafor. I don't want Love. I'm not a happy camper. I hope we get someone to go with Russel, someone who will light the campfire so I can roast marshmallows.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:58 am; edited 1 time in total
loki05
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:09 am    Post subject:

For the ones that are blasting the pick.....get this through your heads....LAKERS did their due diligence w/this pick, and guess what....OKAFOR was NOT the guy. Imagine this, a 7footer great hands, footwork, big body.....and the LAKERS STILL NOT IMPRESSED...what does that tell you?!?!

We had:

- 2 workouts with him
- Dinner
- We have Ryan West who has Daddy's ears/eyes for advice
- Mitch Da God

Trust the decision LG'ers. Ya'll weren't there....you guys are still watching NCAA highlights. Go look at Okafors workout again, and look at the speed and hitch on his shots. Dude was half-assing it when the workout called for full speed. He's gonna get banged on and molly whopped vs DJ vs Chandler vs ADavis vs LA. HE IS NOT THE ONE. THAT IS ALL.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Topic HOF All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9
Jump to: