News 'n Views - May 2016: The Lakers' adjusted culture could pay dividends going forward
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
Walton will double the win total next year with minimal signings. If he gets the big fish and a top 2 pick, I think he will win 40+. If he gets durant and whiteside, with the top 2 pick. 50 wins and playoffs here we come....

I agree with this 100%!
oldschool32
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject:

lakersfreak wrote:
Lakers want to trade 2016 lottery draft pick even if it's No. 1, according to report
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

There's a rumor that the Lakers will shop their lottery pick should they retain it. It'd be more surprising if they didn't though

The Los Angeles Lakers are moving toward a new future with head coach Luke Walton, but that might not include a lottery pick to add to the core should the ping pong balls fall their way on May 17. The Lakers will reportedly shop their top-three protected 2016 lottery pick, even if they land the first-overall pick, according to Colin Cowherd of Fox Sports 1.

"I've now been told by two separate sources, even if the Lakers get the No. 1 pick they're trading it," Cowherd said during The Herd. "They don't want to rebuild anymore. They want to get a star NBA player. They will call teams if they get the No. 1 pick and shop it around the league. "

Rumors are going to swirl about the fate of the pick for the time being, so it's best to take any and all reports with enough salt to cause your doctor to warn you about the onset of hypertension. It's worth considering what that could mean for the Lakers, though. Should they fall their way up into the top pick of the draft and land the opportunity to take Ben Simmons, who's widely-considered the top prospect joining the NBA, he'd be an enticing trade chip for any franchise looking to go in a new direction.

Continued....

If they get the #1, it's not going anywhere. That player will be the new face of the franchise, for better or worse. They would be fools to trade a top two for Demarcus Cousins.
silkwilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 4:10 pm    Post subject:

Depends who they can get in the FA market... it would be stupid to trade a rookie contract for a massive contract and, thus, use up that cap space unless you can't use it in a better way.
shortodom
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:42 pm    Post subject:

I had a feeling we'd wanna trade it. Russell is the guy we want for the future face of the franchise. We don't need more young players. We'll probably even trade Clarkson or Randle too. There's only a handful of players I'd want them to do it for though and Demarcus isn't one of them
RG73
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject:

silkwilkes wrote:
Depends who they can get in the FA market... it would be stupid to trade a rookie contract for a massive contract and, thus, use up that cap space unless you can't use it in a better way.

I get neither the taking on salary part, nor the trading a possible top-10 talent with the #1 pick for an unlikely to be top-10 talent.

I get the sense of urgency for an immediate turn around, but I would not let rash decisions get in the way. Keep the pick, let Luke develop a young core and get them competing for a playoff spot. Then, the following season, you have young guys with potentially more value (having been showcased all season), plus you've demonstrated to FA's that your kids are for real.

I get not wanting to fall into the Philly trap, but I can't see a guy who is attainable who is likely better than the #1 in this draft (or #2, assuming we're going Simmons/Ingram at those two slots). But what do I know? Maybe Mitch is going to break the magic wand out and somehow convince the Warriors to unload Steph before his ankles break again....
Car54
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject:

oldschool32 wrote:
lakersfreak wrote:
Lakers want to trade 2016 lottery draft pick even if it's No. 1, according to report
by Drew Garrison - silverscreenandroll.com

There's a rumor that the Lakers will shop their lottery pick should they retain it. It'd be more surprising if they didn't though

The Los Angeles Lakers are moving toward a new future with head coach Luke Walton, but that might not include a lottery pick to add to the core should the ping pong balls fall their way on May 17. The Lakers will reportedly shop their top-three protected 2016 lottery pick, even if they land the first-overall pick, according to Colin Cowherd of Fox Sports 1.

"I've now been told by two separate sources, even if the Lakers get the No. 1 pick they're trading it," Cowherd said during The Herd. "They don't want to rebuild anymore. They want to get a star NBA player. They will call teams if they get the No. 1 pick and shop it around the league. "

Rumors are going to swirl about the fate of the pick for the time being, so it's best to take any and all reports with enough salt to cause your doctor to warn you about the onset of hypertension. It's worth considering what that could mean for the Lakers, though. Should they fall their way up into the top pick of the draft and land the opportunity to take Ben Simmons, who's widely-considered the top prospect joining the NBA, he'd be an enticing trade chip for any franchise looking to go in a new direction.

Continued....

If they get the #1, it's not going anywhere. That player will be the new face of the franchise, for better or worse. They would be fools to trade a top two for Demarcus Cousins.

It's cow turd so I doubt he has any legitimate sources and anyone can speculate that they'll look for trades. They did the same last year
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 9:58 pm    Post subject:

We flip the pick and clarkson for #15 and Jimmy. We need to start populating our team with defenders.
I don't like giving up clarkson in this scenario but it saves us money especially if we can't move Lou.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:30 pm    Post subject:

If we get the #1 or #2, we are keeping the pick. If anything, JC (and maybe also Randle) would be moved. The pick, whether Ingram or Simmons, immediately becomes our best prospect. Furthermore, the pick and Dlo would have the most time remaining on their rookie contracts.
LoyalLakerfan44
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:33 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:
If we get the #1 or #2, we are keeping the pick. If anything, JC (and maybe also Randle) would be moved. The pick, whether Ingram or Simmons, immediately becomes our best prospect. Furthermore, the pick and Dlo would have the most time remaining on their rookie contracts.

If the Lakers get any of their top 3 picks they will trade it in a heart beat. Why continue rebuilding when you can add a star which is what the team needs. This is common sense and has nothing to do with Cowherd.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:48 pm    Post subject:

If Durant commits and Chicago wants to trade butler, than ok. Sign Whiteside or Horford, prefer Horford, get butler and durant with russell and randle:

Whiteside/Horford
Randle
Durant
Butler
Russell

That is an extremly well balanced team with all the tools you need to win. I would do it if that is the line up.
Oliver Reed
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 10:51 pm    Post subject:

RI Laker wrote:

So if its Ben Simmons we get, and the lakers get Horford or Whiteside, would the bulls take Randle plus Clarkson for butler?

Horford/Whiteside
Simmons
Durant
Butler
Russell

Not a bad line up.
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:39 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

So if its Ben Simmons we get, and the lakers get Horford or Whiteside, would the bulls take Randle plus Clarkson for butler?

Horford/Whiteside
Simmons
Durant
Butler
Russell

Not a bad line up.
I think they would be interested in jc, randle, maybe not so much. Niko and Taj in randle's way, they may not be stacked but they have options.

Can not say definitively that Julius is a better player than Niko so in essence they'd be trading an all star for a 'starter' and a bench player(perspective).
[code]
Quote:
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2016 11:49 pm    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:
If Durant commits and Chicago wants to trade butler, than ok. Sign Whiteside or Horford, prefer Horford, get butler and durant with russell and randle:

Whiteside/Horford
Randle
Durant
Butler
Russell

That is an extremly well balanced team with all the tools you need to win. I would do it if that is the line up.
I would look to Trade Randle- spacing problems. Butler and Kd to a degree attack the rim more often than not.

A 3andD at the 4 preferably but if Julius can consistently show genuine range it wouldn't be a problem
scoobs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:18 am    Post subject:

I was wondering what kind of fit Cousins would be in Walton's Golden State style offense. Does anybody know?
tox
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:32 am    Post subject:

lakerhaterhater wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Whiteside/Horford
Randle
Durant
Butler
Russell

I would look to Trade Randle- spacing problems. Butler and Kd to a degree attack the rim more often than not.

A 3andD at the 4 preferably but if Julius can consistently show genuine range it wouldn't be a problem

What exactly is Randle's trade value? That's the problem I have with trading him. If you could do Randle/ JC for Butler and keep the pick (assuming the 6ers don't get it) of course I would be all for that, but I'm not even sure what they'd get on the open market.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:49 am    Post subject:

Here's what I'm smoking tonight...

If we get the #1. I would call Portand and see if they're interested in hitting the reset button, and deal us the baby who drops dimes on his teddy bear. #1 + sign and trade Clarkson or Randle, heck maybe both. With Lillard in hand, I think you can wrap up Durant and Horford or Whiteside. I prefer Horford for stability.

Horford
Randle
Durant
D'Lo
Lillard

But if Portland pushes for Randle, I may just do it.. cause you don't need star or star potential at every position. You need role players as well and Larry Nance can slide in nicely at the 4. You would still be contending with:

Horford
Nance
Durant
D'Lo
Lillard
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject:

Oliver Reed wrote:

Whiteside/Horford
Randle
Durant
Butler
Russell

I doubt you can fit Whiteside/ Butler/ Durant and everyone else into the cap. Space for two max, not three.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:53 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Whiteside/Horford
Randle
Durant
Butler
Russell

I doubt you can fit Whiteside/ Butler/ Durant and everyone else into the cap. Space for two max, not three.

I don't pay attention to the rules of the cap, but Clarkson falls under bird rights I believe. So you can go over the cap with him and pay luxury tax. If Clarkson is sign and traded for Butler, maybe bird rights follow.

Don't know.. just guessing.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject:

LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

If the Lakers get any of their top 3 picks they will trade it in a heart beat. Why continue rebuilding when you can add a star which is what the team needs. This is common sense and has nothing to do with Cowherd.

By adding your "star", only enough space for one max free agent. Why is that better than top pick [i]and[i/] two star FAs ?
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:59 am    Post subject:

LaxT wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

By adding your "star", only enough space for one max free agent. Why is that better than top pick [i]and[i/] two star FAs ?

That's sound logic. That's what I believe as well. The problem is, maybe the two free agents don't believe in it. LOL! That's why fans are proposal trade scenarios for an establish star that makes it more enticing for those free agents. Maybe those free agents have given word to the Lakers.. go get this guy or that guy, and I'll sign with you. For example, Boston media is already talking about how if you get Butler, you get Durant. You see?
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:33 am    Post subject:

Runway8 wrote:
LaxT wrote:
LoyalLakerfan44 wrote:
RI Laker wrote:

By adding your "star", only enough space for one max free agent. Why is that better than top pick and two star FAs ?

That's sound logic. That's what I believe as well. The problem is, maybe the two free agents don't believe in it. LOL! That's why fans are proposal trade scenarios for an establish star that makes it more enticing for those free agents. Maybe those free agents have given word to the Lakers.. go get this guy or that guy, and I'll sign with you. For example, Boston media is already talking about how if you get Butler, you get Durant. You see?

Still, you keep the pick, at least in June, and see what opportunities are available later. Ingram/Simmons and JC, or even Russell/Randle are all trade baits. If somehow you can get three stars committed, aka Miami module, you do it. Otherwise, rookie contracts are valuable. It's about fitting as many talents as possible into the cap.

Some links about cap space. It appears if we give up JC and dump Lou (or Nick but that's not happening), it's possible to squeeze space for three max.

http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nbas-bestworst-case-2016-17-cap-projections/
http://basketball.realgm.com/analysis/240096/The-Maximum-Available-2016-Cap-Space-For-All-30-NBA-Teams
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/nba-am-who-should-have-serious-2016-cap-space/
http://hoopshype.com/salaries/los_angeles_lakers/

Last edited by LaxT on Wed May 04, 2016 2:53 am; edited 1 time in total
lakerhaterhater
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 1:55 am    Post subject:

tox wrote:
lakerhaterhater wrote:
Oliver Reed wrote:

Whiteside/Horford
Randle
Durant
Butler
Russell

What exactly is Randle's trade value? That's the problem I have with trading him. If you could do Randle/ JC for Butler and keep the pick (assuming the 6ers don't get it) of course I would be all for that, but I'm not even sure what they'd get on the open market.
That's very true. Randle's value is up in the air.
RI Laker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 3:00 am    Post subject:

I don't know. I still think we would most likely keep either Ingram or Simmons. I don't think anyone would argue that they would have a higher ceiling than any of our kids, which is why you don't trade them. There is no doubt that we would have to many pups and someone has to be moved. I wouldn't move Dlo because after one of the top 2 picks, he would have the next highest ceiling. We would have to move JC (and and maybe Randle who like I said has the shortest time remaining under his rookie contract).

I think Noel is the player for us to go after. The Sixers are starving for guards. How about JC, Young, and our second for Noel and Landry (we might have to sweeten the trade a bit). I know he is far from a star (hopefully we get one in free agency), but he makes a lineup stronger and more versatile.
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject:

Jim Buss On Free Agency, Luke Walton and More
by Eric Pincus - basketballinsiders.com

The Los Angeles Lakers recently announced an agreement to hire former Golden State Warriors assistant Luke Walton to a multi-year contract as their head coach.

Out of respect for the Warriors, Lakers part owner and executive vice president of basketball operations Jim Buss was reluctant to talk about Walton at length, but was happy to praise him for his performance as Golden State’s interim coach earlier in the season.

“He was thrust into a situation. People might say, ‘Anyone could coach Golden State with their roster.’ No you couldn’t have,” said Buss in a phone interview with Basketball Insiders. “There’s a lot of pressure in that. There’s a lot of preparation for that.”

Walton posted a 39-4 record while Steve Kerr was sidelined with a back injury.

“It seemed like he had an incredible handle on relationships with players – how to build them, how to build trust and culture,” Buss continued.

Eleven days after the Lakers’ 17-65 season, their worst in franchise history, the team let go of Byron Scott, whose 38 wins over two years with the franchise is one short of the number Walton won on Kerr’s behalf.

“It was a fair amount of time,” said Buss on Scott’s dismissal. “There was a lot to go through before that decision was made. I’m not going to have a knee-jerk reaction because everybody says, ‘You won 17 games, he’s got to go.’ I made a promise to sit with him and [general manager] Mitch [Kupchak] and give him a fair shake.”

While the Lakers were deliberating, Tom Thibodeau and Scott Brooks signed deals to coach the Minnesota Timberwolves and Washington Wizards, respectively. Neither was higher than Walton on the Lakers’ list of candidates. An excellent interview sealed it, and Walton was hired the following day.

Of course, Walton will be joining the Lakers without All-Stars Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson and Draymond Green.

Instead, the Lakers have developing prospects D’Angelo Russell, Julius Randle and Jordan Clarkson. Clarkson will be a restricted free agent in July, but the team expects him to re-sign.

Buss also listed forward Larry Nance Jr. and veteran guard Lou Williams as building blocks for the future.

“There’s five to me – solid, core players we can work with and build on,” said Buss. “I like Marcelo [Huertas], I think in the right system he might be a good fit.”

Continued....
lakersfreak
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject:

3 Potential Trades LA Could Pursue Using Their Draft Pick
by Eric Yee - lakeshowlife.com

Rumor has it that the Lakers will try to trade their draft pick, should they retain it, for an established star. Here are some possible targets

Monday, radio personality, Colin Cowherd, took to the airwaves reporting that the Lakers would be willing to trade their draft pick for an established star, were they to keep the pick. Being that Cowherd is well, Cowherd, basketball fans took the news with a grain of salt.

This was until Bill Simmons, formerly of Grantland and ESPN, now with The Ringer, took to Twitter to reveal that he’d also been hearing rumors about the Lakers’ plan for the pick. Now, with a more credible source providing the information, the rumor can be taken a bit more seriously.

Personally, the rumors reveal that the Lakers may be falling back into the same bad habits that got them here in the first place, something which was assumed to be left in the past when they opted to hire Luke Walton in lieu of other, more experienced, options.

As it stands, the Lakers’ front office seems to be jumping the gun seeing how they only have a 55.8 percent of actually keeping their pick, but you can’t fault them for preparing for every possible situation.

With that in mind, here are a few prospects that the Lakers are likely to pursue if the rumors are indeed true.

Continued....
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Lakers In the News All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9
Jump to: