Jerry West!!! Why don't we rehire him? please jog my memory
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lakers11521
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Magic and Pelinka didn’t want West around because he would get all the glory for any move made. Imagine if LeBron had signed and West was here we’d all be praising Jerry West talking about how he sealed the deal etc.
greenfrog
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:32 pm    Post subject:

lakers11521 wrote:
Magic and Pelinka didn’t want West around because he would get all the glory for any move made. Imagine if LeBron had signed and West was here we’d all be praising Jerry West talking about how he sealed the deal etc.

Kind of like what happened in GS? Apparently their GM and ownership group did nothing but fetch West's coffee.

Last edited by greenfrog on Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
ringfinger
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:33 pm    Post subject:

lakers11521 wrote:

Maybe its Mitch/Jim who da real MVP on this one.

Remember when we sent All Star FAs a message? =)
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject:

StoicChalice392 wrote:
We had Ryan.

have*
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Lucky_Shot wrote:
Too many cooks in the kitchen

I think that's it. Jerry West is a powerhouse, not a small-time consultant. Magic and Pelinka are a great team. I don't think they wanted another person, perhaps with different views, in the middle of things pushing their own agenda.

I have been a fan of the Lakers since the early 1960s, and I idolize West--he was my childhood hero and I even wore number 44 as a player myself -- but I feel the Lakers are in great hands with Magic and Pelinka.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 5:10 pm    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
StoicChalice392 wrote:
We had Ryan.

have*

Is West really bitter about being turned down by the Lakers?
Bol
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:28 pm    Post subject:

ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
So we can overpay for Avery Bradley?

And lose Paul, trade Griffin, lose Jordan, yeah Jerry's advice is assuring the Clippers of a high Lottery pick the next few seasons...!

Those were good moves imo. They need to reset.

Can't really judge until we see the effectiveness of the reset. Teams reset all the time and usually don't come out of it as anything special.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:00 am    Post subject:

greenfrog wrote:
lakers11521 wrote:

Kind of like what happened in GS? Apparently their GM and ownership group did nothing but fetch West's coffee.

The glory was well deserved.

Their GM & Group would have broken up the splash brothers, watched Mark Jackson come up short year after year, witness 1 or 2 additional cleveland titles, and spent nights pondering over Durants future OKC highlights.

Last edited by ChickenBeckerman on Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:21 am; edited 1 time in total
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:06 am    Post subject:

Bol wrote:
ringfinger wrote:
unleasHell wrote:
greenfrog wrote:
So we can overpay for Avery Bradley?

And lose Paul, trade Griffin, lose Jordan, yeah Jerry's advice is assuring the Clippers of a high Lottery pick the next few seasons...!

Those were good moves imo. They need to reset.

Can't really judge until we see the effectiveness of the reset. Teams reset all the time and usually don't come out of it as anything special.

Does anyone still think that Cp, Blake team was going anywhere? They were done 2 years ago. The big mistake would have been trying to rebuild around that non-winning combo.
Reilec142002
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:10 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
Because no one care about them old timers anymore. Not to be disrespectful but the millennial players nowadays don’t give a rats ass about someone played in the league almost 50 years ago. This is why the Magic Pelinka hire was awesome, both them know how to get today’s players attention, what really drives them. Certainly not the respect for history I can tell you this. Same principle apply for Phil Jackson, that’s why he’s unemployed.

This just isnt true. Dude is the logo.
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:18 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
West is a better executive than he was a player (and he was one of the all time greats as a player, so that’s saying something) but some of you are being spectacularly unfair to Bob Myers. West was no doubt an important voice in the room, but he was a consultant and Myers was the GM.

Would it be an accurate analogy to say Myers was the helmsman and West the navigator?
Laker_Dynasty_01
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 12:40 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
It wasn't Myers who made the late night phone call that lead to Durant choosing GSW.

Do you suppose that could've been KD trying to put a positive spin on his joining a rival, that perhaps his mind was made up already? Durant didn't need to be reminded of the cost cutting moves the Thunder had made and how trading Serge hurt their 2017 chances.

West's brilliant advice and draft insight led to the construction of the team that attracted Durant; but it's not unreasonable to think that had West lectured KD about the value of loyalty to one place and finally winning there, he'd have signed with GS anyway. But the phone call probably did give him more conviction in his choice and motivation to be the team's best player.
ChickenBeckerman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:05 am    Post subject:

Ill say Durant had just as much if not more reasons to stay and could have been swayed to still stay with OKC but he wasn't swayed to stay with them and received and avalanche of criticism because of it. Suffice to say that criticism will haunt his carreer despite the titles and mvp's.

Durant himself was up front that he immediately had severe regrets after signing and the immense guilt for feeling that he betrayed a team he was so invested in for years. The weight of that guilt leading up to then being relieved for that stretch in time up till the phone call and after the signing. That little window in time from the phone call till the signing, who's voice do you think made a difference in Durants head? I'll wager it wasn't Meyers or Sam Presti's.

Everything about that decision shouts a classic Jerry West dealbreaker move amidst a long hof career filled with amazing successive dealbreaker moves at that calibur. It's not a coincidence.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:47 am    Post subject:

SGV-Laker fan wrote:
ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Yep. The GS fanbase went nuts when West traded Monte Ellis, (bleep) about drafting Draymond Green, and were in full hate mode after he fired Mark Jackson, hired Steve Kerr and cockblocked the owner from trading Klay Thompson for KLove.

Then the team comes together and explodes and everyone loves him and finally recognizes the genius after having talked so much s##t beforehand.

I believe GS made those moves before Jerry west’s arrival.

They didn’t
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 10:55 am    Post subject:

ChickenBeckerman wrote:
Quote:

Maybe my reading comprehension is off, but where in those articles does it say anything close to those headlines (which you made up).

Those events are not uncommon knowledge.

Was going by memory of those events as they happened and just posted whatever the first link i could find to confirm the dates.

I definitely remember all the talk before and after Mark Jackson's firing and how it pointed at him trying to ban Jerry West from his practices.

4/30/14 Mark Jackson reported saying that he doesn't want Jerry West at practices.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2046483-report-mark-jackson-doesnt-want-jerry-west-attending-team-activities

6 days later he's fired.

https://www.si.com/nba/point-forward/2014/05/06/mark-jackson-fired-golden-state-warriors-joe-lacob

I do remember all the talk beforehand that Jerry West believed they hit a ceiling with Mark Jackson and something needed to change.

And West believed the Warriors had hit their ceiling with him and moved on.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: