Should mods be able to hijack non-mod threads?

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are we ok with Mods hijacking non-Mod threads?
Yes
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
No
80%
 80%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 5

parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:56 am    Post subject: Should mods be able to hijack non-mod threads?

I created a thread called "OFFICIAL 2019 FREE AGENCY THREAD". LakerSanity locked that thread and started his own 2019 free agency thread. No PM about "hey, I would like to take over this thread." Nothing. A mod just did it. Are we as a community ok with that?

Reached out to DB about what gives here and he replied he did not know why LakerSanity did it and would look to see if he replied in the thread.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:01 am    Post subject:

Well, I've done the Official Free Agency thread for 2-3 years now...so you kind of jumped the gun on that (usually done around September).
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:02 am    Post subject:

NB4
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Well, I've done the Official Free Agency thread for 2-3 years now...so you kind of jumped the gun on that (usually done around September).

So, that's a rule?
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject:

pio2u wrote:
NB4

I fully expect this to be locked.

Not sure why you would celebrate such a thing, but ok.
rebirth
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject:

Wow this has to be the dumbest thread opened in the history of LG.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:09 am    Post subject:

I think mods should be allowed to use their power for whatever but it would be nice to know the reason for using it. For example I also wondered why your thread was locked and an identical one started
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

rebirth wrote:
Wow this has to be the dumbest thread opened in the history of LG.

Nice ad hom, but do you want to engage on the substance?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

Can mods take over / update threads at a later date if needed? For example....say I started an annual thread like the FA or Draft thread....then I just left the board....but the 1st pages of those threads are routinely updated.....does a mod have the ability to step in and update the thread if needed?
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject:

parsons777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So, that's a rule?

No. But LS has been diligently updating my 2018 FA thread as well with a ton of usual info. I'm cool with that. I take no ownership of a thread.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Can mods take over / update threads at a later date if needed? For example....say I started an annual thread like the FA or Draft thread....then I just left the board....but the 1st pages of those threads are routinely updated.....does a mod have the ability to step in and update the thread if needed?

I do tend to think on threads of major board interest, if the originator disappears, then the mods should be able to "take over", but not without a PM, something. Was coming back in to do some edits on which teams could take Deng and exactly what it would cost them, with a comparison on how much draft comp such trades occasioned in the past, only to find the thread locked.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
I think mods should be allowed to use their power for whatever but it would be nice to know the reason for using it. For example I also wondered why your thread was locked and an identical one started

I disagree with this statement. Not related to this incident, but in general, the board has rules/guidelines, and we each have our roles. I do not think anyone in the community should be allowed to use their power for whatever.
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So, that's a rule?

No. But LS has been diligently updating my 2018 FA thread as well with a ton of usual info. I'm cool with that. I take no ownership of a thread.

But, you knew he was doing it and were cool with it. He did not contact me at all. Not ok. At least I don't think so. And some of us do care about threads we start (sometimes) and feel some ownership of them.

Last edited by parsons777 on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:16 am; edited 1 time in total
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:16 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
parsons777 wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:

So, that's a rule?

that answers my question.....I assumed they had that ability, but I almost never create threads, so I was unsure.
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:21 am    Post subject:

One of the most common comments that comes up every time we have a "Why is every thread an official thread" thread is that people don't know what people are currently talking about in those megathreads.

One of the solutions that people came up with for that problem was to ask thread makers to frequently update the thread titles with whatever is currently being discussed.

So if a mod wants to take over a thread in order to update thread titles that's fine with me, but mods can update threads without being the creator it so it's not really necessary to create them anyway
Aeneas Hunter
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:25 am    Post subject:

You do realize that there is a User Feedback forum for stuff like this, right?
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:26 am    Post subject:

I always saw the need for constant updates as a "con" in creating those annual threads. I assumed people were always bothering the user to add this, and take away that, etc. So I was always glad to see someone else create the thread for me to pass on my superior knowledge and insight.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:27 am    Post subject:

It's a little annoying, but, honestly, who cares as long as the thread is kept intact? You want internet credit for starting the thread that badly?
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:28 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
You do realize that there is a User Feedback forum for stuff like this, right?

You do realize this is a much more effective way to raise the issue with the community at large right?
Chronicle
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
It's a little annoying, but, honestly, who cares as long as the thread is kept intact? You want internet credit for starting the thread that badly?

Not internet credit, no. Being able to update the thread title is the reason to create the threads. If you make an official thread then you need to be willing to change the thread title.

In this case, LS will most likely do that. But as for "who cares", well there's a good reason.

We have so many official threads in the lounge that it becomes important to update the thread titles with news

Last edited by Chronicle on Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:30 am; edited 1 time in total
parsons777
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:29 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
...who cares as long as the thread is kept intact?...

I think my content would be better. Why post anything, anywhere unless you believe that?
LakerSanity

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I did it because it tends to be a popular thread that maintains its momentum. Its not about who owns a thread or who gets credit. Its about ensuring that this site receives the content and structure it needs to maintain itself. I created the thread because it was a problem this last offseason with a lot of thread updates that were either useless or unnecessarily provocative. I was taking a proactive approach to try to prevent that same issue from arising next offseason. By starting the thread, it makes it easier to track that issue as it goes along.,

Now, to be clear, that doesn't stop anyone from contributing anything they want. It would seem that the only problem is who gets the "credit" for the thread, which is irrelevant to me.

If I am given any credit for anything, just assume I pass it all to whoever actually cares enough to want it.

Twitter: @DeleteThisPost
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> User Feedback / Report a Bug All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1
Jump to: