JESSE BUSS for GM.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 12:19 pm    Post subject:

I'm sure Lakers fans would find a way to run him out of town too. How many post Dr. Buss siblings need to be sacrificed at the altar of Showtime?
Wino
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:19 pm    Post subject:

activeverb wrote:
MJST wrote:
This is the kind of culture Jesse has brought to the South Bay Lakers team

https://twitter.com/SouthBayLakers/status/1104191267204788224

https://twitter.com/SouthBayLakers/status/1104513505888108544

Wish there was that kind of atmosphere with our team.

As a reality check, the South Bay Lakers are 17-27, and they're in the bottom third of their league in both offense and defense.

It's easy to extol their culture based on seeing a couple of feel good videos produced by the team's PR people. But if anyone here cared about how they did as a team, they be tearing into them as much as fans are tearing into the real Lakers right now

Oh man, I hate this, reality and facts getting into a sports conversation about lynching a FO!!! Dude!!!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 7:39 pm    Post subject:

anth2000 wrote:
FYI, Jerry West is almost 81 years old. Hire as a consultant perhaps but he's not a full time solution. Could he groom someone? Sure.

Consultant is correct, he could have groomed Magic and Pelinka like he groomed Meyers.
MickMgl
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject:

Are you guys confusing Jesse and Joey? Isn't Joey the one running the South Bay Lakers?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 am    Post subject:

Get it straight:

Joey Buss is the president of the South Bay Lakers.

Jesse Buss is an assistant GM and director of scouting of the LA Lakers.
HOF Rookie
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:
FYI, Jerry West is almost 81 years old. Hire as a consultant perhaps but he's not a full time solution. Could he groom someone? Sure.

Consultant is correct, he could have groomed Magic and Pelinka like he groomed Meyers.

If the rumors are true that magic was barely present, then I don’t think it would have mattered if jerry mentored him. And with rob, it seems like other execs didn’t like himmstemming from his agent days. Not sure how you get around that.
King Randle
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject:

What a ridiculous suggestion. Have we learned nothing? We need an outsider with experience, success and track record. Jeannie has to get this right.
kobe8One
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:53 am    Post subject:

Who can name the top 3 GM in the league? If not, Jesse or Joey is fine.
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:55 am    Post subject:

a few rumors that he scouted some of our late round gems doesnt qualify him at all to be GM. Its time for the Lakers to get out of this whole family business - Laker Legend run organization and get with the modern times. Bring in the most qualified exec who has zero ties with the organization and let them reorganize as they see fit. There is no better opportunity to clean shop since we already need a new HC and president.
chekmatex4
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject:

I think Lakers need to move away from the narrative of hiring from within the Laker family. They need fresh perspective from outside the organization.

Only Jerry West gets a pass and that's because he is a proven winner at the executive level.
AFireInside619
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:12 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Ryan West

Okay. Tell me what he does and what positive attributes he brings to the organization. Don’t mention Jerry West, LOGO, Dad, or Son. Ready... Go!
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:19 am    Post subject:

twisted wrote:
Ryan West

If we're going to promote anyone from within, it should be him. Jerry would immediately jump on board as our consultant.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
OdomGrab wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
What makes fans feel Jesse Buss is qualified? I see his name thrown around a lot, but never an explanation of why he is qualified.

because the Dr. buss legacy should go to the kid that actually understands basketball.

What are his qualifications though? How do we know he actually knows basketball and would be a good GM? Also, I hear it should be Jesse as bball ops president and Ryan West as GM. Ryan West was being groomed to be GM, butcThat still doesn't tell me what are Jesse's credentials....

Knowing basketball and running the operations of a multi billion dollar basketball team is a comically large jump in responsibilities and experience required. Just because our young scout department has discovered some gems doesn't make them remotely qualified to negotiate deals, handle agent sharks, communicating with other executives and owners.
Threatt_Level
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject:

AFireInside619 wrote:
twisted wrote:
Ryan West

Okay. Tell me what he does and what positive attributes he brings to the organization. Don’t mention Jerry West, LOGO, Dad, or Son. Ready... Go!

He runs our scouting department, which has a very good track record of making good decisions in the draft: Jordan Clarkson in the second round; Kyle Kuzma, Larry Nance Jr, and Josh Hart late in the first round. If they had their choice, we would have Mitchell Robinson instead of Mo and probably Fox over Lonzo.
adkindo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject:

Jesse needs to start working on his professional image. He is always going to have to overcome the perception of being the youngest son of Dr. Buss.....spoiled rich kid. It does not help matters that most of the time I see him in pictures, he is dressed like a 20 year old college slacker. Nobody is taking him very serious around the league until be begins to present himself as a professional.
JamaalWilkes
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Probably better to hire seasoned pro's from outside the family.
Boldarblood
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject:

adkindo wrote:
Jesse needs to start working on his professional image. He is always going to have to overcome the perception of being the youngest son of Dr. Buss.....spoiled rich kid. It does not help matters that most of the time I see him in pictures, he is dressed like a 20 year old college slacker. Nobody is taking him very serious around the league until be begins to present himself as a professional.

agreed. He's is a really good guy. I hung out with him a bit right after high school, had mutual friends. Won't pretend to know him now, but it was back in Rancho Santa Fe in San Diego 30 years ago.

But the old saying, dress for the job you want, not that you have.
LaxT
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 7:57 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
Outspoken wrote:
What makes fans feel Jesse Buss is qualified? I see his name thrown around a lot, but never an explanation of why he is qualified.

He's doing a great job in charge of our scouting, but pretty sure he's not experienced enough for the GM role. Maybe more of a President of Basketball ops down the line. Or Cersei could step aside some time and he could take over that role.

I hope the younger Buss siblings take over sooner than later. I mean controlling ownership, and they should hire a professional front office.

Quote:

Just after the All-Star break that season, the Nets hired Sean Marks to be their new general manager. The team's Russian-based ownership group had been leaning until the very last minute to Bryan Colangelo. At All-Star Saturday night in Toronto, R.C. Buford, the San Antonio Spurs GM and then Marks' boss, approached Dmitry Razumov, then the Nets chairman, at a private event and told Razumov he might not even grant the Nets permission to interview Marks unless the Nets guaranteed Marks carte blanche to do the job the way he wanted, sources have told ESPN. Several other executives, including Bob Myers, the Golden State Warriors' president of basketball operations, chatted with Razumov that night about Marks' credentials. Brooklyn changed course.
https://global.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27091191/kevin-durant-kyrie-irving-brooklyn-rise-ashes
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2021 11:54 pm    Post subject:

At 1st, I wasn't sure who was the one scouting. At 1 point I thought it was Mitch. He used to go to college games and peep talent. It probably was a more collective with Mitch, Ryan, and Jesse. But then when Mitch left and we were still finding talent in the draft, I figured maybe it was Ryan West. I mean he is the son of Jerry West, and I figured Jerry groomed him really well, but then Ryan left and now we have Jesse and we are still picking well. So I'm assuming it is Jesse Buss.

I'm appreciative that we have him. I hear he may want to be GM.... hmmmm.... why not? I feel he has proved his self in the scouting field. Why not promote him? They promoted Rob, just off of Kobe's word, and to his credit, we won a championship. So it was warranted. Now we need a GM. I don't mind it being Jesse, or someone that will can do the Job, presumably really good. A team player, has a great mind, and vision.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 10:51 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
anth2000 wrote:

Magic and his inflated ego would never take direction from Jerry.

We need to stop referencing Bob Myers like he is some wonder boy GM. Before someone brings it up was he actually responsible in KD signing or was that all on KD or Jerry's influence? He subsequently lost KD, recently released Avery Bradley to the Lakers benefit and lucked into becoming GM with Steph and Klay already on board. Drafted James Wiseman over LaMelo Ball. Besides picking Draymond who has he drafted of note? What FA's or trades has he done? Point is he hasn't lit up the NBA as a GM.
PlantedTanks
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 11:08 am    Post subject:

Threatt_Level wrote:
twisted wrote:
Ryan West

If we're going to promote anyone from within, it should be him. Jerry would immediately jump on board as our consultant.

He is no longer with the Lakers. It is telling that after leaving he ended up back to being a Pro Scout.

Jesse Buss is already the assistant GM. If he ascends to be the GM it would most likely be after the Lebron era imo.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Wow a throwback thread here, but agreed that the scouting has been magnificent the past few years. Lots of talent that has been found late round, and turned into high quality role players (at minimum) if not border line starters mixed in with a few borderline allstars. Great work, and hope Jesse (assuming he's the one doing the scouting and leading that effort) gets the recognition he rightfully deserves.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if Bill Bertka is still involved in providing scouting guidance to the team?
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:32 pm    Post subject:

lakez34 wrote:
Wow a throwback thread here, but agreed that the scouting has been magnificent the past few years. Lots of talent that has been found late round, and turned into high quality role players (at minimum) if not border line starters mixed in with a few borderline allstars. Great work, and hope Jesse (assuming he's the one doing the scouting and leading that effort) gets the recognition he rightfully deserves.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know if Bill Bertka is still involved in providing scouting guidance to the team?

Bill Bertka is 94 years old. I hope he still watches basketball.
lakez34
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
lakez34 wrote:

Bill Bertka is 94 years old. I hope he still watches basketball.

I know through 2020 he was still going to the facility periodically to see players brought in for scouting. I just wasn't sure if he's still involved or not, but I think it's amazing that he's been as involved as he has to date. Didn't intend to hijack the thread, more curious to know how his input plays a factor into the overall direction (is he nominally involved as a professional courtesy, or does he serve as the "steady" voice between the "old core" of Jeannie, Magic (if he's still involved behind the scenes), Kurt Rambis and the "new core" of Rob and Jesse.
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2021 7:49 pm    Post subject:

He’s definitely more bball savvy than Rob.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6
Jump to: