ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers (Clipper/Laker Discussion)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 437, 438, 439  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:29 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
If we are relying on McGee and Howard we have already lost

They're fine as rim runners/Pnr lob catchers for 36 minutes a game.

The closing lineup will have AD at center IMO. That's when the other teams will lose against us.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:36 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

As opposed to Ivica Zubac?
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:40 am    Post subject: Re: ESPN: There's a gap between Clippers and Lakers

slavavov wrote:
In this video clip, Jackie MacMullin and Brian Windhorst argue that the Clippers are much better than the Lakers because they feel their defense and depth is miles ahead of the Lakers.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=27686555

The media bias against the Lakers bothers me. I'd argue we have more depth than the Clippers because we have more guys who can come into the game and contribute in at least one way.

They may have more perimeter defenders, but between Bradley, Green and maybe even Dudley our perimeter defense is nothing to sneeze at.

Plus, who on the Clippers is going to check AD, McGee and Howard and prevent them from getting easy baskets? No one in the lamestream media has ever even mentioned this the past couple months.

They're not wrong, so I'd not break my head over it. The Clippers have a better team at this time, with a core who know each other well (LouWill, PatBev, Harrell) and two of the game's best two-way wing players (which is what today's game is mostly about, the perimeter)... and with better defense where it matters most in today's game (again, the perimeter). We have a really good team too... but with a lot of new pieces and question marks too... so we will need everything to go right in order to win... and might even need a little luck on top of that. That's sports for you though, can't have the odds in your favor all the time. Our FO has put us in a position to compete for the title, now it's up to the team. One more SF would make me feel that much better though.

The ace in our hand is Anthony Davis. We really need AD to play with a chip on his shoulder (not LeBron, although both doing so is good too)... because Giannis/Embiid/Jokic have been spoken about as the best young big guys in the league for the last year while AD has almost become like an after-thought. If AD decides to go mental on the rest of the league and have a monster year, that will be huge for us.

Also, the Clippers are understandably the media darlings at this time. I mean, they went from being the Dippers and playoff hopefuls... to landing Kawhi and PG overnight and being favorites for the title. Everyone likes a good story where the little guy enjoys some success. I'm okay with them having their 15 minutes of fame.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

There is a gap between the Clippers and the Lakers. They don’t have these 3 beasts coming out of their locker room

https://mobile.twitter.com/showtimeforum/status/1176671182877102080?s=21
3baller
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject:

Lots of people sleeping on the lakers. Let them. Less pressure + chip on our shoulders
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:19 am    Post subject:

To have LBJ and AD and be considered underdogs...I'll take that.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:42 am    Post subject:

I get the media hype of the Clippers and the Lakers. But from a basketball sense both have some serious question marks IMO. Then add into the equation the injury and load management potential.

Just realistically looking at the marquee players. Leonard hobbled through the season and playoffs. George has ongoing shoulder issues. James has a ton of mileage and will take games off. Davis seems to always have a nagging injury that limits him. All will effect losses and standings.

Not sure why the odds are in their favors in fact. People are sleeping on teams like HOU, DEN and Utah IMO. Western Conference is going to be tight again this season. Not going to be easy for anyone.

Last season span from 1-8 playoff standings was 11 games. From 3-8 only 5 games. Don't see that changing much this season. A couple losses could easily switch home court or match ups significantly. Both the Lakers and Clips will have concerns keeping pace at times this season if not at full roster on any given night.

Going to be fun to watch the Conference beat the crap out of each other all season long.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:05 am    Post subject:

Laker fans have memories where everybody assumes that the Lakers will automatically be in the The Finals and fell far short

It should be noted that the Clippers haven’t yet advanced to the second round with their Lob City Gang coached by Doc, though if it happens this next season - it will be an EXTREME FAILURE

PG is recovering from two serious shoulder injury and will miss the beginning of the season

With Kwahi (6’7”) and PG (6’9”) about the same height, hoe will they match up to AD and LBJ?

However, it is good that the Clippers are the favorite and the target of all the opposing teams
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:

It should be noted that the Clippers haven’t yet advanced to the second round with their Lob City Gang coached by Doc, though if it happens this next season - it will be an EXTREME FAILURE

The Clippers have advanced to the second round twice under Rivers.
Harlemlakerfan
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject:

i am absolutely mind blown by how many people overrate Beverly and Harrell. They have all of a sudden become stars out of nowhere.

Maurice Harkless
Lou Williams
Landry Shamet
Jerome Robinson
Paul George
Montrezl Harrell
Mfiondu Kabengele
Terance Mann
Kawhi Leonard
Ivica Zubac
Rodney McGruder
Patrick Beverley
JaMychal Green
Johnathan Motley
Amir Coffey
Derrick Walton
James Palmer
Patrick Patterson

who are half of these guys?

Anthony Davis
Kyle Kuzma
LeBron James
Kostas Antetokounmpo
Talen Horton-Tucker
Danny Green
DeMarcus Cousins
Kentavious Caldwell-Pope
JaVale McGee
Dwight Howard
Quinn Cook
Jared Dudley
Troy Daniels
Alex Caruso
Rajon Rondo
Avery Bradley
Zach Norvell
Devontae Cacok
Jordan Caroline

I sure would like to know where all of this Clipper depth over the Lakers is located. It must be the Head Coaches because its damn sure not in the rosters!
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:33 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

There isn’t much difference, big men haven’t made a difference in a decade.

Last edited by venturalakersfan on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:34 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
People are sleeping on teams like HOU, DEN and Utah IMO.

Yeah. I think Houston could be the most dangerous from those three if Harden and Westbrook click. Don't forget about GSW too. Klay will be back in time for the playoffs and will be just as good IMO... and they've still got a deep team. Guys like GRIII and WCS might not be stars but can fill important roles there. For example, GRIII is very athletic and can be a good defender. So he might be a good SF for them considering the other players they have.

More 3PT - Curry / D'lo / Klay / Draymond / Looney
More defense - Curry / Klay / GRIII / Draymond / WCS

+ the rest... Poole, Burks, McKinnie, Spellman, Smailigic, etc.

Anyway, the West is tougher than ever... Sacramento has become stronger despite losing WCS by adding Dedmon/Holmes and Barnes/Ariza. Portland too... with Bazemore, Hezonja and Whiteside replacing Seth, Aminu and Kanter. Dallas will be better with a fit Porky. Minnesota need a good PG but is finally getting some depth: Teague/Okogie, Wiggins/Culver, Covington/Wiggins, Vonleh/Bates-Diop/Bell, KAT/Dieng/Reid. Even NOLA will give teams tough games (physically) with their young guys on fast-breaks.
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:45 am    Post subject:

Utah/Denver/LAL/LAC are the top 4 teams imo. Maybe in that order lol. Let the media boost up the Clips as if they've got some magic formula for instant chemistry. I've got questions whether either LA team is better than Utah or Denver.

Media pundit weighing in on this topic literally asked the question, "Who's going to score against the Clippers?" Suggesting that we would have trouble scoring against their elite level defense.

But she CONVENIENTLY failed to mention that AD dropped 46 & 16 vs. the Clips last season. Whatever...let the narrative be whatever they choose it to be.

Once we start winning the Media will switch to creating dissension between AD and Lebron, emphasizing AD's looming FA decision. If they are not for us they are against us.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:48 am    Post subject:

I expect HOU to have the best regular season record in the West. Maybe the league (depends what the mid-tier playoff teams in the East do).

I can think of at least 1 good reason why each West "contender" isn't a lock for playoff success.
HOU- MDA
LAL- staying healthy/3rd option
LAC- Doc Rivers
UTA- experience
DEN- go to scorer
SAS- Age/Pop's stubbornness/underachieving star players
POR- staying healthy/3rd option
GS- Klay's health/defense
DAL/SAC- young, inexperienced core

Last edited by kikanga on Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

There isn’t much difference, big men haven’t made a difference in a decade.

Unlike the Clips, we will have a near 7 foot AD closing at center. If they want to put Harrell on him, let them do that.

I doubt Jav/D39 are closing games for us. And big men matter. It's just the ones that can defend the perimeter on switches, shoot, and have a versatile offensive game that matter. AD has that in spades. Look at the teams that have won rings and the closing small ball 5s recently:

Draymond Green (x3)
Duncan
Bosh (x2)
Dirk
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:51 am    Post subject:

I think the focus on the Clips as the top of the west is misplaced. KL and PG will be missing a bunch of games (either from load management or injury). So they will pace themselves and ensure they make it into the playoffs. No need to go balls to the walls in the regular season to be honest.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:54 am    Post subject:

Kava wrote:
Utah/Denver/LAL/LAC are the top 4 teams imo. Maybe in that order lol. Let the media boost up the Clips as if they've got some magic formula for instant chemistry. I've got questions whether either LA team is better than Utah or Denver.

Media pundit weighing in on this topic literally asked the question, "Who's going to score against the Clippers?" Suggesting that we would have trouble scoring against their elite level defense.

But she CONVENIENTLY failed to mention that AD dropped 46 & 16 vs. the Clips last season. Whatever...let the narrative be whatever they choose it to be.

Once we start winning the Media will switch to creating dissension between AD and Lebron, emphasizing AD's looming FA decision. If they are not for us they are against us.

I'm not as high on the Jazz as some. I think there's one group of good teams, any of whom could win it all: LAC, LAL, GSW and Houston. Then there's a second group of good teams, whose chances of reaching the finals I don't fancy: Denver, Utah and Portland. Denver is the most likely to move up to the 1st group depending on how Jerami Grant and Porter Jr fit in. Then there's Sacramento and the Spurs, one of whom will make the playoffs but most likely not make it past the 1st round. Then we have the rest who are rebuilding or bad: Minny, Dallas, NOLA, Memphis, OKC, Phoenix... but Minnesota might surprise Sacramento/Spurs if Wiggins/KAT finally get their act together.

Last edited by LAL1947 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:28 am; edited 4 times in total
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
To have LBJ and AD and be considered underdogs...I'll take that.

LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:59 am    Post subject:

Aeneas Hunter wrote:
LandsbergerRules wrote:
All good. I prefer it when the media hype is on some other team and is proven wrong. Makes the victories even sweeter.

Yes, I remember when that used to happen. We were all a lot younger then.

Seriously, though, just in general people need to restrain themselves from reacting so much to the media. This is the genius of ESPN. They get everyone to react. The rest of the league is convinced that ESPN is a mouthpiece for the Lakers.

Agreed.
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:26 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Kava wrote:

I'm not as high on the Jazz as some. I think there's one group of the best teams, any of whom could win it all: LAC, LAL, GSW and Houston. Then there's a second group of good teams but whose chances of reaching the finals I don't fancy: Utah, Denver, Portland. Then there's Sacramento and the Spurs, one of whom will make the playoffs but most likely not make it past the 1st round. Then we have the rest who are rebuilding or bad: Minny, Dallas, NOLA, Memphis, OKC, Phoenix... but Minnesota might surprise Sacramento/Spurs if Wiggins/KAT finally get their act together.

Anticipating an incredible season as I look down that list of teams.

Tend to disagree on a couple opinions though.

- I expect Utah to be a top team. Solid combo of defense and scoring with the free agents they brought in. Solid coaching.

- Denver will be improved from their playoff experience last year. They had some key contributors miss a lot of games last year and Grant was a nice fa addition. Mile high advantage for 41 games.

- From your top group I think Clips will be in bottom half of standings due to injury/ load management issues. Potentially GSW too due to inconsistency as they learn to play together.

OKC and Pels are going to be interesting to see how they develop from a chemistry standpoint for very different reasons. Both could be dangerous bottom half playoff teams IMO.

- OKC if the vets can stay healthy and choose to compete. Paul could lead this team to a surprise season. More depth then star status.

- The Pels are an extremely young team. But IMO one of the more interesting to watch next season. Additions of Redick, Favors and their draft class to Holiday and the ex-Lakers will make for a dynamic team. If Gentry can get them to play together chemistry wise they could be a dangerous team on any given night. Predicting they make the playoffs.

Can not wait for the season to begin. Standings so tight will make injuries and missed games even more critical. No room for error or taking opponents for granted for the top teams. Every night will be a battle and should be approached that way. Going to be interesting to see how Lakers embrace that mentality.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject:

I don't think the Lakers will chase a top seed. We will rightfully load manage LBJ/AD and have them fresh for the playoffs.

I do expect the team to thin out the 8 guards we currently have.

I think we will be a robust buyout destination to add a few quality vets.

The team we see by April will be pretty interesting. I wouldn't get all up in arms about the regular season standings. No one hangs up Division banners. Oh wait, the Clips...
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
I don't think the Lakers will chase a top seed. We will rightfully load manage LBJ/AD and have them fresh for the playoffs.

The team we see by April will be pretty interesting. I wouldn't get all up in arms about the regular season standings. No one hangs up Division banners. Oh wait, the Clips...

I don't think they will be in the hunt for a top 1 or 2 seed. But they do need to be thinking 3 or 4 to have any shot at having a deep playoff run IMO. Home court in he first round and avoiding trips to Den/Utah/ Hou is a must.

That means Davis and James have to be out minimal games.

I think the Clips have a bigger issue with the potential missed games with George and Leonard then the Lakers hopefully have. Yet no one seems to be discussing it and making them the favorites? Leonard's quad issues are not going away.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:49 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:

I don't think they will be in the hunt for a top 1 or 2 seed. But they do need to be thinking 3 or 4 to have any shot at having a deep playoff run IMO. Home court in he first round and avoiding trips to Den/Utah/ Hou is a must.

That means Davis and James have to be out minimal games.

I think the Clips have a bigger issue with the potential missed games with George and Leonard then the Lakers hopefully have. Yet no one seems to be discussing it and making them the favorites? Leonard's quad issues are not going away.

I think they will be in the 3-4 slot too. I can actually see the Clips going down the 5-6 slot b/c KL will actually need more load managing than LBJ IMO. Like 20+ games, and PG is starting off the year coming off 2 shoulder surgeries.

But this will be about the playoffs.

And in a 7 game series, I would absolutely not count out a team with LBJ/AD.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:56 am    Post subject:

LAL1947 wrote:
Kava wrote:

I'm not as high on the Jazz as some. I think there's one group of the best teams, any of whom could win it all: LAC, LAL, GSW and Houston. Then there's a second group of good teams but whose chances of reaching the finals I don't fancy: Utah, Denver, Portland. Then there's Sacramento and the Spurs, one of whom will make the playoffs but most likely not make it past the 1st round. Then we have the rest who are rebuilding or bad: Minny, Dallas, NOLA, Memphis, OKC, Phoenix... but Minnesota might surprise Sacramento/Spurs if Wiggins/KAT finally get their act together.

Anticipating an incredible season as I look down that list of teams.

Tend to disagree on a couple opinions though.

- I expect Utah to be a top team. Solid combo of defense and scoring with the free agents they brought in. Solid coaching.

- Denver will be improved from their playoff experience last year. They had some key contributors miss a lot of games last year and Grant was a nice fa addition. Mile high advantage for 41 games.

OKC and Pels are going to be interesting to see how they develop from a chemistry standpoint for very different reasons. Both could be dangerous bottom half playoff teams IMO.

- OKC if the vets can stay healthy and choose to compete. Paul could lead this team to a surprise season. More depth then star status.

- The Pels are an extremely young team. But IMO one of the more interesting to watch next season. Additions of Redick, Favors and their draft class to Holiday and the ex-Lakers will make for a dynamic team. If Gentry can get them to play together chemistry wise they could be a dangerous team on any given night. Predicting they make the playoffs.

Can not wait for the season to begin. Standings so tight will make injuries and missed games even more critical. No room for error or taking opponents for granted for the top teams. Every night will be a battle and should be approached that way. Going to be interesting to see how Lakers embrace that mentality.

Actually, I agree that Utah and Denver are stronger than last season and they'll probably have among the best regular season records too. When listing those first two groups of LAC-LAL-GSW-HOU vs DEN-Utah-POR, I wasn't trying to say this will be the standings after the regular season is done... that is real hard to call. With this grouping, I was trying to say which teams are the best IMO in terms of winning it all. Denver seems the most able to move up to the 1st group depending on how Jerami Grant and Porter Jr (if healthy) fit in and perform for them.

OKC, I think they will probably end up in the bottom three with Memphis and Phoenix. The Pels will be a fun team to watch on the break and close to that last playoff spot. They might surprise everyone and make it but I think they are too young and will have the same issue we had in the half-court. Perhaps, in a year or two?

If you compare them to the Kings, which roster do you prefer at this moment?

Fox / Cory
Hield / Bogdan
Barnes / Ariza
Bagley / Giles
Dedmon / Holmes

vs

Lonzo / Jackson
Jrue / Reddick
Ingram / Hart
Zion / Favors
Hayes / Okafor

Last edited by LAL1947 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:24 am; edited 2 times in total
Kava
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:09 am    Post subject:

Quote:

Fox / Cory
Hield / Bogdan
Barnes / Ariza
Bagley / Giles
Dedmon / Holmes

vs

Lonzo / Jackson
Jrue / Reddick
Ingram / Hart
Zion / Favors
Hayes / Okafor

Oh wow...these JV Lakers aka the PELS are going to be fun to watch for sure!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 437, 438, 439  Next
Page 2 of 439
Jump to: