OFFICIAL ROB PELINKA THREAD.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 241, 242, 243  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjiddy
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:55 am    Post subject:

I see no point in discrediting Mitch for the Pau/Kobe rings. When Jerry left, this was barely a playoff team and Mitch turned it into one that got two rings. You can't completely discredit him and then praise Pelinka and his "modern" GMery when he had zilch to do with Lebron coming here and less to do with getting AD than Rich Paul did. I might be able to credit him more if he didn't give up the biggest package ever--a trade Mitch or any GM could have made.
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Mitch immediately put his stamp on the 2001 title when he traded Rice for Grant. Like Horace said when the trade was made, start sizing up the rings. If only Dr. Buss hadn’t been too cheap to re-sign him.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject:

Great interview of Kobe. Also discussed about how Pelinka messed up on the Heath Ledger Story he got roasted on in LG for being a liar. Time is 34:45

Nice to know, he is actually telling the truth, but just screw up the story.
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:12 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Mitch immediately put his stamp on the 2001 title when he traded Rice for Grant. Like Horace said when the trade was made, start sizing up the rings. If only Dr. Buss hadn’t been too cheap to re-sign him.

That playoff run with Horace was the one season during the Kobe/Shaq years that we didn't get starched by opposing power forwards. The memories of Horry trying to check Rasheed Wallace in the post still give me nightmares.
trablos
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject:

pjiddy wrote:
I see no point in discrediting Mitch for the Pau/Kobe rings. When Jerry left, this was barely a playoff team and Mitch turned it into one that got two rings. You can't completely discredit him and then praise Pelinka and his "modern" GMery when he had zilch to do with Lebron coming here and less to do with getting AD than Rich Paul did. I might be able to credit him more if he didn't give up the biggest package ever--a trade Mitch or any GM could have made.
Agreed, Mitch was good for us for a long time. He made some pretty bad decisions toward the end of his tenure but what long-time GM hasn't? Rob has been promising so far, and there is no reason we have to trash one just to support the other.
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:33 pm    Post subject:

trablos wrote:
pjiddy wrote:

Agreed, Mitch was good for us for a long time. He made some pretty bad decisions toward the end of his tenure but what long-time GM hasn't? Rob has been promising so far, and there is no reason we have to trash one just to support the other.

nickuku
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject:

I didn't want to make a new thread so I'm putting it here. Last year we shot 33% from 3 as a team. If we take all our acquisitions this year and used last year's numbers this team at the very least is shooting 36.8%. That's including the abysmal year that Kuzma had last year @ 30%. If things go well I could see our team shooting anywhere from 37-40% from 3. If we shoot 25+ a game its going to count for a lot.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:
I didn't want to make a new thread so I'm putting it here. Last year we shot 33% from 3 as a team. If we take all our acquisitions this year and used last year's numbers this team at the very least is shooting 36.8%. That's including the abysmal year that Kuzma had last year @ 30%. If things go well I could see our team shooting anywhere from 37-40% from 3. If we shoot 25+ a game its going to count for a lot.

Just did some quick math, if we shot 37% last year on 3pt% we would have won 13 more games and had 50 - 32 record despite all the injuries.
DLaker
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject:

nickuku wrote:

Just did some quick math, if we shot 37% last year on 3pt% we would have won 13 more games and had 50 - 32 record despite all the injuries.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject:

His news conference was reassuring a bit. Between the margins “LOcked on”Lakers”or trades I’m still waiting to see but I do like how he has included his super stars and included them with the process. I think that will help with recruiting AD. 👍
Judah
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:15 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
I'm pro Mitch, appreciating that he was a very good GM for us for years. But the GM game changed when the new breed of owner moved in. Mitch fell behind the times, and his work as PBO in Charlotte has shown that.

I assumed that Mitch (and John Black) pushed all their chips in behind Jimmy. When Jimmy lost - they were out.

In the whole Buss family saga, there's an untold story to Jim's ouster in February 2017. I don't think Jeanie just woke up and said "OK, it's the trade deadline, he's out." She could've waited for the summer to do that. My Hollywood screenwriter gene says that she got wind of the plans for a coup by Jimmy & Johnny and just beat them to the punch.

That's not it. They were on the verge of making a bad trade for an "All-Star" at the deadline in a desperate attempt to save their jobs (since it was obvious by then that the team wasn't going to make the playoffs, let alone to the WCF). And worse, they kept her in the dark about the bad trade they were trying to make. She had to axe them ASAP before they set the franchise back even worse than they already had. Imagine sacrificing Russell and Randle for Paul Millsap and thinking that would save you
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:37 am    Post subject:

But we sacrificed Randle and Russell for KCP and Stephenson.
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:44 am    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Life comes at ya fast.
defense
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:52 am    Post subject:

How's that championship team building going for Mitch these days. Is he still a GM?
TooMuchMajicBuss
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: In a white room, with black curtains near the station

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject:

Mitch was a good GM who helped us win titles, and he was a loyal part of the Laker organization for many, many years. He is also has a lot of class as a person.

Yes, the desperation moves at the end of his tenure here, if true, deservedly hastened his departure. Still, seeing LG members bashing him several years after he's gone is pretty sad imo.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject:

Judah wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
Laker's Fan wrote:
I'm pro Mitch, appreciating that he was a very good GM for us for years. But the GM game changed when the new breed of owner moved in. Mitch fell behind the times, and his work as PBO in Charlotte has shown that.

I assumed that Mitch (and John Black) pushed all their chips in behind Jimmy. When Jimmy lost - they were out.

In the whole Buss family saga, there's an untold story to Jim's ouster in February 2017. I don't think Jeanie just woke up and said "OK, it's the trade deadline, he's out." She could've waited for the summer to do that. My Hollywood screenwriter gene says that she got wind of the plans for a coup by Jimmy & Johnny and just beat them to the punch.

That's not it. They were on the verge of making a bad trade for an "All-Star" at the deadline in a desperate attempt to save their jobs (since it was obvious by then that the team wasn't going to make the playoffs, let alone to the WCF). And worse, they kept her in the dark about the bad trade they were trying to make. She had to axe them ASAP before they set the franchise back even worse than they already had. Imagine sacrificing Russell and Randle for Paul Millsap and thinking that would save you

You're speaking from a speculation standpoint.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:54 am    Post subject:

That the team moved on from Mitch wasn’t an issue. It’s part of the business and he himself acknowledged that. How Magic and Jeanie did it showed a true lack of class.
realking24
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:06 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

Brutal, honestly and between the “Margins Pete, Guy with two names that never reads my questions lol” and trades Mitch was great and felt very confident but recruiting was a disaster. If Magic just was the recruiter and Mitch was just the Margin and Trade guy and Pelink was the Players advocate that would make a great GM or just Hire West who would of Thunk lol
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:

And who gave that crap deal that forced our hand on Russell? Had Mitch been less of a yes man maybe he’s still here and we have a young core surrounding lebron and AD. At the very least maybe we have a couple young pieces left over.
Outspoken
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

And who gave that crap deal that forced our hand on Russell? Had Mitch been less of a yes man maybe he’s still here and we have a young core surrounding lebron and AD. At the very least maybe we have a couple young pieces left over.

Forced our hand? We traded D Russ prematurely.
LAL1947
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:12 pm    Post subject:

Outspoken wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

Forced our hand? We traded D Russ prematurely.

Boo-fecking-hoo! D'lo was a butt muppet when he was here. A butt muppet... ie., not just a muppet... but a muppet who had his residence up a butt. He has turned out to be a good player after leaving... and a large reason for what contributed to him becoming a better player/person was being sent away and then realizing that he wasn't all that... and he seems the kinda guy that would never have gotten that wake-up call until/unless he was traded. So whaddaya gonna do? I'm not shedding or ever will shed a single effing tear over D'lo. I wish it were different but it's not the FO's fault. His past is on him. TBH, he has matured a lot since... but even so, it's not enough for me and I don't think he's matured enough for GSW's roster either... so it wouldn't surprise me one bit if GSW traded him in the winter for RoCo. (Fingers/toes crossed they don't because that would make them the best team again, even over us and the Dippers... Curry - Klay - RoCo - Draymond - WCS/Looney.)
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:49 pm    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No hand was forced other than Byron’s butt hurtness. We didn’t have to trade DLO and Mozgov, that was Magic showing his inexperience and protecting his buddy Byron.
Luminous8
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2019 6:46 pm    Post subject:

venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

No hand was forced other than Byron’s butt hurtness. We didn’t have to trade DLO and Mozgov, that was Magic showing his inexperience and protecting his buddy Byron.

We didn’t have to give an abysmal deal to Mozgov who was 10mpg backup for the large portion of his career either. Magic was inexperienced,... what was Mitch’s? Asleep at the wheel?
epak
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:52 am    Post subject:

I'm liking the roster.
What a difference shooting will make
venturalakersfan
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:04 am    Post subject:

Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:
Luminous8 wrote:
venturalakersfan wrote:

We didn’t have to give an abysmal deal to Mozgov who was 10mpg backup for the large portion of his career either. Magic was inexperienced,... what was Mitch’s? Asleep at the wheel?

A 4 time title winner. Learn the Laker history before commenting.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 98, 99, 100 ... 241, 242, 243  Next
Page 99 of 243
Jump to: