Would you rather have Harrell or Dwight Howard?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Who would you rather have Harrell or Dwight?
Harrell
73%
 73%  [ 83 ]
Dwight
26%
 26%  [ 30 ]
Total Votes : 113

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 10:54 am    Post subject:

Landslide win!

I certainly hope that Howard can accept the vote of the people and move on...
J.C. Smith
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:13 pm    Post subject:

I hate losing Dwight for a vet minimum contract. That stings. But at this stage of their careers Harrell was a good pickup. The problem with the Lakers as they stood were that they were an aging team, yet they have a young superstar in AD and need to make the future attractive to him moving forward because at some point Lebron is going to get old. The Lakers did that this off season by adding Harrell and Schroder.
AD23
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject:

neither I want BOOGIE!
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:14 am    Post subject:

Based on this LG poll, looks like Howard is the right choice. We'll see. I'm a fan of don't change whatever was working. Howard and Rondo was a match made in heavens. Lebron and Rondo's passing made Howard a lob machine on offense. Shroder and Harrell give us youth but what we need is to win championships...now and I hope they can provide that. I hope the lack of 3pt shooting from Shroder and the lack of size from Harrell won't come back and bite us in the rear.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:19 am    Post subject:

lakersfever714 wrote:
Based on this LG poll, looks like Howard is the right choice. We'll see. I'm a fan of don't change whatever was working. Howard and Rondo was a match made in heavens. Lebron and Rondo's passing made Howard a lob machine on offense. Shroder and Harrell give us youth but what we need is to win championships...now and I hope they can provide that. I hope the lack of 3pt shooting from Shroder and the lack of size from Harrell won't come back and bite us in the rear.

Since now we kinda figure out Pelinka had a grand plan and not just at the moment name chasing, this is actually:

Rondo-DG-JaVale-Dwight

To

Schroeder-Wes-Montrezl-Marc

Not a bad upgrade right
troy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:

Without Mcgee or Dwight, we officially have no rim protector. Vogel stressed defense last season, and I remember specific key plays during key games where either Dwight or McGee blocked shots at the rim.

In my opinion, we still need a rim protector if we are to repeat...
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:28 am    Post subject:

We went from McGee-Howard to Harrell-Gasol. Fine for me!
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:52 am    Post subject:

danzag wrote:
We went from McGee-Howard to Harrell-Gasol. Fine for me!

Technically, we have gone from Howard-Kieff-McGee to Gasol-Harrell + trying to keep Kieff.

But just comparing Howard/McGee to Gasol/Harrell. On offense, it is not even close. LANDSLIDE win for Gasol and Harrell.

Defense though, lets see. Marc is a very good post positional defender, but slow as hell on rotations. Dwight was very very active. McGee is a great rim protection guy and our twin towers starting lineup last season with AD/McGee was defensively elite at rim protection. We have to see how Harrell plays with AD on D.

On O, this is a landslide. On D, we have to see. If Gasol and Harrell keep the Lakers the same on D, this will be a big big upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Mike@LG

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:18 am    Post subject:

Harrell obv.

The only time I'd argue it is if there was an opportunity for Dwight at BAE and Harkless/Matthews split MLE.

But LAL has Gasol so it doesn't matter.

https://lakersdraft.substack.com/

I am not an economic advisor nor do I advise economic strategies or plans.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject:

Harrell.

Lakers need young legs and more scorers. LBJ is 1 year older, AD is not elite scorer, KCP is an average scorer at best so they need helping hands and Schroder isn’t enough. So it is a good move to add another 15-20 PPG scorer in Harrell. That’s really the Lakers needed on paper.

Scoring:
AD: >25
LBJ: 25
Schroder: 15
Harrell: 15
Kuzma: 10
KCP: 10
Matthews: 5
Caruso: 5
Gasol: 5

The Lakers will have 6 capable scorers
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:14 am    Post subject:

Harrell.

I think Lakers probably weren't eager to have Dwight back. That's why there was that confusion on the 1st day of signings. Dwight thought he was back while Lakers weren't on the same page.
LeBronsPregameChalk
Sixth Man
Sixth Man

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:33 am    Post subject:

This is a ridiculous poll. Is this pandering or something?

They easily could've had both if Howard was just more patience. This poll should be about whether people prefer Ibaka or Harrell.
StoicChalice392
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:37 am    Post subject:

Mark Medina said Dwight was seeking a larger role. Not necessarily more than money.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Harrell.

I think Lakers probably weren't eager to have Dwight back. That's why there was that confusion on the 1st day of signings. Dwight thought he was back while Lakers weren't on the same page.

Yes - it's clear that Dwight isn't back because the Lakers did not want him back as much as they wanted other guys to come back. At that price, they may hae felt that containing/managing D12 was more trouble than it was worth.

I loved his defensive activity and ability to go from covering guys in the paint to pressuring guys on the perimeter. Dwight is still a great athlete.

As good as we were last year, however, we had some awful scoring droughts - particularly when LBJ sat - and we could rarely sit LBJ and AD at the same time. With Trezz, Schro & Kuz, we will have a 2nd unit that can put tremendous offensive pressure on our opponents.

If you go back to early Showtime, the Lakers' 2nd unit featured Bob McAdoo, Mike McGee, Michael Cooper and the hated Brent Musburger said the only teams with better players than the Lakers 2nd unit was the starting units for the Celtics and Lakers.

What we lose from Dwight will be made up in other ways IMO.
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:51 am    Post subject:

I thought the fears that Dwight would command a full MLE, or even half of it were a bit overblown.

I think Dwight isn't for everyone. We were able to work with him last year, but sometimes after a ring, guys want MORE. Not necessarily $ but stature and role on the team. He's getting paid less to join a team with an established all NBA center. It'll be a new role of the Dwight dice.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject:

Dwight provided toughness, but he didn't have the best team defense. His physicality allowed him to body up guys like Nurkic and Jokic, which helped out a lot. We get some of that back with Gasol. What I won't miss are the silly fouls EVERY TIME he stepped on the court
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:16 pm    Post subject:

As others have said, didn't have to be an either or but much love to Pelinka for a brilliant off season.

It isn't like they are operating in a vacuum without the other teams trying.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:27 pm    Post subject:

Megaton wrote:
A 26 year old sixth man of the year or a 35 year old player who’s good against one or two teams?

Tough choice...

14 people so far making this rocket science. LOL! Javale and Dwight were together often on the sidelines when it mattered most. Montrezl overplayed by Jokic have people panicking. This is why we have AD, why we have Gasol. Trez will be free as a bird to do his thang.
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:38 pm    Post subject:

Is this a joke thread?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
audioaxes
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:42 pm    Post subject:

this has to be qualified with their salary. I'd much rather have kept Dwight and used MLE on a different player... I'd go with Christian Wood.
I like Harrell's game and he earned his contract but thats alot of $$ for a guy who isnt the best fit in a Lebron+AD lineup.
Money$hot!
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:36 am    Post subject:

Remember what Caruso said about the being in the G league and the biggest problem with players there? Most G league players don't know the role they're auditioning for. I think that applies here.

We needed Dwight to just be a defensive beast that bodied modern 5's, cleaned the glass and could hit a three now and then. Dwight could do 2/3rds of that. Biggest problem was that Dwight wanted a bigger role in the offense. He wanted plays run at him. He's never gonna get that in L.A. Gasol can do all 3. He fits the role better.

OTOH, Harrell says he'll do whatever the Lakers want him to do. He also said that he didn't feel wanted by the Clippers. Harrell is a 15/8 clean up man that can get those numbers nightly, and without a play run for him. If Trez had 3 point range he'd be making $20-$25m. Without it he's more than worth $9m.

Who is going to be happy with their role? Who sounds like the better fit?
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:06 am    Post subject:

Gotta be Harrell but losing Dwight kinda sucks. His redemption story with was nice.

Overall, the team got younger which is what Pelinka intended in the first place. No more thinking about "what happens when Lebron retires".

It gives AD peace of mind that we are committed to winning long term.
paolomagma
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject:

Money$hot! wrote:

We needed Dwight to just be a defensive beast that bodied modern 5's, cleaned the glass and could hit a three now and then. Dwight could do 2/3rds of that. Biggest problem was that Dwight wanted a bigger role in the offense. He wanted plays run at him. He's never gonna get that in L.A. Gasol can do all 3. He fits the role better.

What? That's old news. There was literally no sign of this all season. Dwight did what he was asked and he got a ring for it.

Don't make up fake narratives.
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:56 am    Post subject:

paolomagma wrote:
Money$hot! wrote:

What? That's old news. There was literally no sign of this all season. Dwight did what he was asked and he got a ring for it.

Don't make up fake narratives.

Take it easy, son.

It was reported a few days ago that Dwight wanted more minutes, and the Lakers could only offer him the same role as last season (matching up with specific players).
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:30 am    Post subject:

Here is another way to think about it. Let's compare Howard with Marc Gasol, rather than with Trez -- because Gasol is the one who replaces Howard's ability to body up the big guys (Jokic, Embiid, etc.). And all indications are they both do that job very well. Plus they are nearly the same age.

Beyond that Howard gives you some mobility on defense, an intimidating blocking presence, and a guy who can give you rebounds and putbacks shooting a high percentage at the rim. Gasol gives you a guy who can hit 3 point shots to open up the floor and is a master passer from the high post. So let's call it a wash between those two.

Now let's compare Trez and McGee, and that's where you see the huge difference. Trez is a monster in the pick and roll, terrific on the offensive glass, much more mobile on defense than McGee, 26 years old instead of 32, and can give you 28-30 minutes a game instead of 15 to 20.

Plus you have the added advantage of having peeled Trez away from the Clippers who perhaps could have signed and traded him for a point guard and still had the room to sign Ibaka for the MLE.

Ibaka would have been a good pick up for the Lakers, but (a) there is no indication he had any interest of coming to the Lakers and (b) as it worked out you've got Gasol to play the role Ibaka would have played but on a vet min salary thus allowing us to use the MLE on Trez.

In addition to his playing skills, what I love about Trez is his age and health. That gives us a lot of flexibility for the coming year -- in case of injuries, or simply to give AD and Lebron more rest -- and possibly as a piece as we build the team for the future.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3
Jump to: