Official Giannis Watch Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:46 pm    Post subject:

drae wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
We will need to get a 3rd superstar if Lebron actually begins to lose his grip as the league best player. Right now whatever physical decline Bron has had, he had made up with it other ways and been able to stay within the top 3. You add AD, and that is enough with role players.

But say if Bron declines a bit more, and becomes more limited to being an all-star level player vs superstar, a top 10 guy, sort of like Kobe was 2011-2013, then, you probably need to get a 3rd star to win rings.

Giannis was that insurance policy towards that - in case Bron declined from undisputed top 3/best to top 10-15, you could still win a ring as Giannis was that top 3 level player.

That is why I wanted him, and I am sure the Lakers will have a look at players via trade who can bring that. However without draft picks, it will be hard to get that player via trade, even with good trade assets like we have (Trez, Schroder, KCP, Kuz). Without a 3rd star, we will need incredible luck and fortune with Lebron/AD health/level over the next 3 years, as well as great role players. Because I do think Bron at some point has to drop a notch from top 3/best, to top 10-15. It is coming, even though he has done an incredible job delaying it.

I'm confident Schroeder can be that 3rd star in the future Of course he won't be a superstar, but a star that has a great passing game that can unlock AD's full potential? With Lebron slotting in as 3rd wheel? I think that has the potential to compete

Imagine Schroeder doing stuff like this but with AD instead of Adams

https://twitter.com/LakerFilmRoom/status/1334020515242020864
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:55 pm    Post subject:

Yeah Dennis the menace has talent to be more than a role player, same with Trez, but not sure if it is realistic to expect them to replace a possible Bron decline. Certainly that was why they were added, to not only get younger but to improve the team's talent level around Bron/AD over the next 2-3 years. We will have to wait and see what the menace can do, I am definitely excited about the potential of this group.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
Vandal08
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 6:33 pm    Post subject:

LakerSD wrote:
Vandal08 wrote:
This will be "Chris Paul'd." No way the L allows it. Will be vetoed. If Shot'z is dumb enough to allow him to walk in FA then nothing anyone can do, but best believe some type of intervention of this Klutch player hoarding stuff is going to be implemented shortly after it or in the new CBA.

Not saying this won’t be “Chris Paul’d” but it will be damn fishy if he ends up with the Clippers, Warriors or Nets since they are the other teams with top end stars.

Same thing if Harden went to the Nets although I see that imploding anyway.

Can’t punish the Lakers and let him go to one of those teams. That would be targeting the Lakers and it would be BS.

Agreed. But nevertheless that hasn't stopped the L from stepping in before hence the CP'd analogy.
dcarter4kobe
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 02, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
We will need to get a 3rd superstar if Lebron actually begins to lose his grip as the league best player. Right now whatever physical decline Bron has had, he had made up with it other ways and been able to stay within the top 3. You add AD, and that is enough with role players.

But say if Bron declines a bit more, and becomes more limited to being an all-star level player vs superstar, a top 10 guy, sort of like Kobe was 2011-2013, then, you probably need to get a 3rd star to win rings.

Giannis was that insurance policy towards that - in case Bron declined from undisputed top 3/best to top 10-15, you could still win a ring as Giannis was that top 3 level player.

That is why I wanted him, and I am sure the Lakers will have a look at players via trade who can bring that. However without draft picks, it will be hard to get that player via trade, even with good trade assets like we have (Trez, Schroder, KCP, Kuz). Without a 3rd star, we will need incredible luck and fortune with Lebron/AD health/level over the next 3 years, as well as great role players. Because I do think Bron at some point has to drop a notch from top 3/best, to top 10-15. It is coming, even though he has done an incredible job delaying it.

No need for a "3rd superstar" when you have 3 guys who have averaged ~19 a game at least once over the previous 2 seasons in their athletic prime in Schroder, Trezz, and Kuzma.
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:53 am    Post subject:

dcarter4kobe wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:

No need for a "3rd superstar" when you have 3 guys who have averaged ~19 a game at least once over the previous 2 seasons in their athletic prime in Schroder, Trezz, and Kuzma.

It comes down to their defense. If the defense is still all time great like it was last season, yes, it can be enough. However guys like Schro, Trez and Kuz will need to play defense all out. This is not a team that will see Dennis, Trez and Kuz average 15-20 a night. They are gonna be higher usage role players, and so the Lakers will still be banking on game management, elite defense and the 2 star duo. It can work for sure, but it will require Lebron to stay elite (top 3) into his late 30s and the Lakers defense to be their 3rd superstar as Frank Vogel likes to say.

Longterm if there is a Bron decline, then I disagree the talents of Trez-Kuz-Dennis are enough. Maybe enough to remain a contender. Yes, I see us being a playoff team all the way until the end of Bron's deal in 2023. But, if we want to go for 2 more rings, we probably were in way better odds with a 3rd superstar than relying on Bron not to decline. The thing I will say, anything we get from now on for me is gravy. This team won for Kobe, they justified Bron coming as a FA, they justified AD being traded for (all the assets we gave up) and justified choosing Frank Vogel as a coach. Anything we get from now until Bron's contract ending in 2023, for me is just the icing on the cake. We already won a title, which was the most I was hoping for with signing Bron. In 15 years as a non-Laker, Bron won 3 rings (1 in 5 years average). In 2 years, Bron won a ring. That's incredible, man. We got him late in his career, past his athletic prime, and still pulled it off. I'm not complaining regardless how this plays out, but I will say the AD/Bron duo is special, even moreso than Shaq/Kobe in some ways (not in talent) in that they get along and compliment each other on D. If Bron were 25, these guys would win at least 6 rings IMO.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
lakersboy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:38 am    Post subject:

yinoma2001 wrote:
Giannis's Laker watch has ended.

Good. I much prefer talking about reality.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:09 pm    Post subject:

You can kiss him good bye, if you're into that type of thing....
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 7:36 am    Post subject:

Man, lock the contracts next season of our young ‘prospects’ (they not anymore lol, all of them are playoff tested, maybe not THT)... Schroeder-Harrell-Kuz-AC-THT... those are one hell of trade assets crew ain’t it
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
You can kiss him good bye, if you're into that type of thing....

Well..maybe for around 2023?
danzag
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:26 am    Post subject:

It was a short watch
LandsbergerRules
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:26 am    Post subject:

lakersboy wrote:
yinoma2001 wrote:
Giannis's Laker watch has ended.

Good. I much prefer talking about reality.

governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject:

This one done

KUZMA watch begins
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

So we getting him in a trade the year before his option year?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
epic_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:19 am    Post subject:

So we getting him in a trade the year before his option year?
💜💛 🏆 👀 🍖 #18!!!
pio2u
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:58 am    Post subject:

This episode ends in the pipe dream trash-heap along side "GetGarnett.com"
chantruong
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:38 pm    Post subject:

Giannis 2025
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:39 pm    Post subject:

End the watch.
DeeAgeaux
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2020 3:16 pm    Post subject:

https://basketball.realgm.com/wiretap/260847/Bucks-Would-Have-Considered-Trading-Giannis-Antetokounmpo-If-He-Declined-Supermax
Tomdela07
Rookie
Rookie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:12 am    Post subject:

LastStand 2.0 wrote:
The Dagger wrote:
Inspector Gadget wrote:
scottpot29 wrote:
hopefully I eat these words.....

This ain't happening.

If AD signs the 1+1 deal today then buckle up

What if AD signs the 1+1 and then later today Giannis fires his agent and signs with Klutch

If giannis signs with klutch the entire leagues owners will absolutely step in

Sorry guys, new to NBA and dont know it deep enough to know who the (bleep) agents are and who arent.. why is Klutch a bad move for Giannis?
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2023 7:49 am    Post subject:

Dame Time was traded to the Bucks. Does anyone think the Lakers should go after Jrue Holiday? Pundits picking the Bucs to win the East.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Trade and Free Agency Discussion All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4
Jump to: