MAVS -at- LAKERS - 12/20 - Thoughts and :-)) Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wolfpaclaker
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 12:16 pm    Post subject:

A Mad Chinaman wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The AD-Trez-Bron chemistry, is right now, at initial stages > AD/Bron with Gasol
It should be noted that Trez's game is based on his motor, while Gasol is based on basketball IQ. With Bron and Gasol among the oldest and having well-deserved reputations - along with this being a very different type of season, having an actual big man to work/initiate the offense will become invaluable during the playoffs against centers such as The Joker, Embiid, Gobert and DeAndre (if they meet in the playoffs).

Once the team's defense has become adjusted to funneling to certain areas of the paint, Gasol will morph into a better defensive player. With JaVale and Howard's athletic abilities, they relied more on their athletic abilities

If Gasol becomes more involved with the offense, we could make teams adjust to us

Gasol definitely increases value when he is involved on offense, the issues on defense though, I do not see going away. He is solid at drop coverage, and would need a change from the entire scheme that won a NBA championship, just to compensate for his tendencies. It is much easier to slide AD to defensive 5 and interchange with Trez at the 4. Or even start Kieff, who will move his feet on D. The times where Gasol is valuable on D, is when you have that post player like Embiid, Jokic or someone like that can bully AD in the paint a bit, so you start Gasol. I guess one can say, by starting Gasol now, you gain reps needed for the playoffs for those purposes.

But just based on what I have seen, I do not think he can be a big minute starter for this team. We want to keep those starts to about 6 minutes a half, in most situations, as the teams will exploit him on screens.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
drae
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Dec 26, 2020 5:20 pm    Post subject:

wolfpaclaker wrote:
A Mad Chinaman wrote:
wolfpaclaker wrote:
The AD-Trez-Bron chemistry, is right now, at initial stages > AD/Bron with Gasol
It should be noted that Trez's game is based on his motor, while Gasol is based on basketball IQ. With Bron and Gasol among the oldest and having well-deserved reputations - along with this being a very different type of season, having an actual big man to work/initiate the offense will become invaluable during the playoffs against centers such as The Joker, Embiid, Gobert and DeAndre (if they meet in the playoffs).

Once the team's defense has become adjusted to funneling to certain areas of the paint, Gasol will morph into a better defensive player. With JaVale and Howard's athletic abilities, they relied more on their athletic abilities

If Gasol becomes more involved with the offense, we could make teams adjust to us

Gasol definitely increases value when he is involved on offense, the issues on defense though, I do not see going away. He is solid at drop coverage, and would need a change from the entire scheme that won a NBA championship, just to compensate for his tendencies. It is much easier to slide AD to defensive 5 and interchange with Trez at the 4. Or even start Kieff, who will move his feet on D. The times where Gasol is valuable on D, is when you have that post player like Embiid, Jokic or someone like that can bully AD in the paint a bit, so you start Gasol. I guess one can say, by starting Gasol now, you gain reps needed for the playoffs for those purposes.

But just based on what I have seen, I do not think he can be a big minute starter for this team. We want to keep those starts to about 6 minutes a half, in most situations, as the teams will exploit him on screens.

The main reason I'm not worried about Gasol is that come playoff time AD will be spending most of his time there. He's just around for big bodies and to take the load off AD in the regular season
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2020 6:50 pm    Post subject:

Thanks DB!
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: