BLAZERS -at- LAKERS - 12/28 - Thoughts and :-(( Ratings
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lakers#1Team
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 10:45 am    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
Lakers#1Team wrote:
Thanks DB! Winnable game but AD wasn't ready plus bad defense on the PTL threes. Not too surprised with the loss. Typical Portland game, annoyingly.

Now that it appears Gasol will be a contributor, I agree with Wolf that DS should come in off the bench (with Trez). Separate them out somewhat from Bron and Ad. That way we can develop the starting and bench two-man games as a distinct offensive strategy and not diminish AD on the starting unit.

I'm not there yet with your and Wolf's conclusion re DS's role, way too limited sample size for me. 3 games in, and AD's points/rebounds line:

18-7
30-8
13-10 (note: This after a 2 point, 4 rebound first half)

In those three games DS points and assists:

14-8
18-6
24-4

Also, LBJ is out there too, so solely focusing on DS's assist numbers alone does not tell the whole story.

With all that said, it is definitely worth keeping an eye on. If suddenly the starting lineup becomes LBJ-DS as the 1-2 punch, Houston, we have a problem (no offense to DS, he is really good, but a fully primed AD on offense has very little in the way of peers).

I'm honestly not sure of last night's game it would have made a difference having DS come off the bench with the way AD was fairly passive on both ends of the floor, even in the second half, (the counter to what I'm saying is "AD would have been engaged if he was fed the ball more"...but honestly I do not believe that is really AD's style, plenty of times last year he was either struggling offensively or not used as much but was impactful on the defensive end), and ultimately I am trending towards AD not being as impactful on the defensive end as being a big cause for last night's loss. Not blaming him, but that's how I saw game 4 of this 72 game season with several new key faces.

Yup, sounds like a good plan. Wait a little and trust in Vogel to figure things out with time.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:20 pm    Post subject:

They were coasting, brush it off
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 1:38 pm    Post subject:

“I just tried to fit in,” AD said after the Lakers 115-107 loss to the Blazers.

Memo to our alpha: "fit in" is for the less talented than you are. Your role is to always stand out.

Thanks so much DB!
PenG_
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:11 pm    Post subject:

FG
41/87
47.1%

3 pointers
10/27
37%

FT
15/18
83.3%

These are pretty solid numbers for this team. This came down to not having Caruso and our bench being single-handedly destroyed by Trent Jr. Take away the three LeStatPad shots at the end and we're 42% from three.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 3:25 pm    Post subject:

DB:

CBS noted the same issues down the stretch as you did re Trez:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-the-blazers-exploited-montrezl-harrell-defensively-and-reminded-the-lakers-of-their-true-identity/amp/
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 4:35 pm    Post subject:

DrDent wrote:
DB:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbssports.com/nba/news/how-the-blazers-exploited-montrezl-harrell-defensively-and-reminded-the-lakers-of-their-true-identity/amp/

It's a good visual breakdown, thanks.

I don't know that I agree with the conclusion that it's a failed experiment yet. It's also a learning experience. Give Harrell some chances to view the film, practice execution, etc., and see where you end up.

Vogel's got some decision making early this season. Do I want to get some Ws and run more of my guys from last year that understand everything until the rest catch up? Or do I throw the new guys into the mix and let them learn the hard way early on? Seems like he's choosing the latter. That will also help Pelinka to figure out if more tweaking needs to be done.
DrDent
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:04 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
DrDent wrote:
DB:

It's a good visual breakdown, thanks.

I don't know that I agree with the conclusion that it's a failed experiment yet. It's also a learning experience. Give Harrell some chances to view the film, practice execution, etc., and see where you end up.

Vogel's got some decision making early this season. Do I want to get some Ws and run more of my guys from last year that understand everything until the rest catch up? Or do I throw the new guys into the mix and let them learn the hard way early on? Seems like he's choosing the latter. That will also help Pelinka to figure out if more tweaking needs to be done.

Looks like you hit the proverbial nail on the head. Vogel and AD discussing Trez, how the Blazers picked on Trez, and article also points out the "let's see how this goes" aspect of what Vogel is doing right now:

https://www.silverscreenandroll.com/2020/12/29/22205075/lakers-news-frank-vogel-defends-montrezl-harrell-closing-lineup-anthony-davis

Honestly, makes sense. Technically that game should have been the last of pre-season under normal circumstances. He wants to see who can do what, when, etc.
Laker7
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject:

PenG_ wrote:
FG
41/87
47.1%

3 pointers
10/27
37%

FT
15/18
83.3%

These are pretty solid numbers for this team. This came down to not having Caruso and our bench being single-handedly destroyed by Trent Jr. Take away the three LeStatPad shots at the end and we're 42% from three.

14 turnovers didn't help either.
Halflife
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I’m not worried about Wes. Kcp started last year like this
roger_federer
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 7:45 pm    Post subject:

Trezz's defense sucks. I am still not sure why we signed him...he will give up all the points he score on defense.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject:

Nice to see the LA Teams collaborating...!

Looks like the Lakers must have been working with the Rams Defensive coordinators!
yinoma2001
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject:

Stat that is most revealing is that the starters were all net positive.

Bench got blown out. Trent just destroyed them and not having AC to stick on him cost us the game.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Thoughts and Ratings All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: