NBA Season COVID-19 Thread (**No politics or racial/ethnic remarks or personal insults**)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 128, 129, 130  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 5:46 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
governator wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:
lar9149 wrote:
governator wrote:
not sure about how y'all doing in cali but NY/NJ numbers is going up pretty high, double digit % positive rates in some counties. Essential workers have to self quarantine if exposed even with a neg test/no symptoms starting last friday (some still get exempt/hospital folks)

It is tough governator..and getting tougher in a lot of places. I have seen the numbers in NY and it seems they have increased to near 20K daily cases after being around 10K a month ago.

Right now it seems like LA is pretty much COVID central and probably the worse city as far as COVID spread in this pandemic ever. 15-20K daily cases have occurred in LA, that iss more than some countries like France.

And my feeling that is an understatement..for the last 2 weeks, the numbers seem to have flatten around 15-20K, but that seems to be because LA has reached maximum testing capacity. And there are more restrictions, like Kaiser is only allowing testing for those that have symptoms AND been exposed.

Also I am seeing significantly less people at the Health Center I work at because half of people who made appointments months ago, can't come because they got COVID. I think that maybe overexaggerated, but that is what the people who confirm appointments tell me. But its still a lot even it was an overstatement.

I heard certain places like Dodger's stadium where a lot of testing is done are going to switch half testing, half vaccine administration. This will lower testing capacity, but perhaps is necessary as the vaccine has become so much more important now.

what happened to all those rapid tests that can be done anyone?

well i have delayed my physical and an elective procedure for more than 6 months now...

yeah, we'll see with a new administration in 2 weeks if there would be a proper shutdown (I'm not really advocating it) plus massive vaccine roll out (2nd dose be damned) if it curb the spread within a month

i dont think a shutdown will work with so many people ready to fight against it.

right now, is the problem that there is not enough vaccine or not enough people in the intended categories who wants the vaccine?

intuitively, waiting longer for the booster would not hurt the results. i guess the ability to double the # of people with 50% immunity is more important than worrying about 85% vs 95%. particularly there will be likely be protection against severe cases...

might not curb spread if just one dose (but might be necessary to decrease death rate)... just hope people don't become reckless just by getting a dose

You're right about shutdown, we had a chance last year in the beginning but not possible now

Hang in there HCW, this nightmare will be over soon

some bad news below.

"About half the hospital workers offered the COVID vaccine in Riverside County, southeast of hard-hit Los Angeles County, have turned it down. With a population of 2.5 million, Riverside County on Tuesday became the eighth county in the nation to exceed 200,000 coronavirus cases."

“Some of them are saying, ‘You know, not yet,' that they just want to see how things go," Public Health Director Kim Saruwatari told the Palm Springs Desert Sun. "Some are just not giving any type of reason on why they’re not taking it."

"Scientists have identified a mutation that may decrease the efficacy of COVID-19 vaccines. The mutation, first spotted in South Africa two months ago, has since spread to 12 other countries."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/health/2021/01/13/covid-news-us-4-k-daily-deaths-texas-california-coronavirus/6645362002/

the healthcare workers situation matching what i notice in personal friends. those who see a lot of patients get vaccine. though who do not typically wait.
Smoothness101
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 6:59 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Just got the Moderna vaccine a few days ago.
First day felt off and lots of soreness in my arm.

Second day and on through no problems.

Another thing I learned is if you sleep on your side get the shot in the opposite side you sleep on.

I got the shot in my right arm and sleep on my right side. Smart!

Got Pfizer and had the same reaction as you, I side-sleep too and felt it the first night. I second that tip.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

lol Smoothness. Yes it is something easily missed.

cal1 not surprised by the lack of interest in some places. And I think that is okay for now. Once a lot of people have it and others realize the side effects are temporary, they will feel more confident.

I think in the end people will be willing once they feel confident and know their friends got it and are fine.
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:21 pm    Post subject:

We’re there 3 postponed games tonight? Suns, Celtics, Jazz?
TDRock
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:40 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
We’re there 3 postponed games tonight? Suns, Celtics, Jazz?

Yes
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:45 am    Post subject:

ok, NJ pretty much opens it to almost everyone, including 18-64 with comorbidities

hang in there everyone, we should have a much better summer
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:46 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
ok, NJ pretty much opens it to almost everyone, including 18-64 with comorbidities

Good job NJ is doing. There is terrific news and hopefully they are having no problems administering it.

Here not there..Orange county is 65 and above now

Long beach and LA county are planning to be there the end of this month.

As far as the administration of the vaccine, Disneyland and Dodger stadium are opening mass vaccination sites.

But I don't know when the state will have the Health Centers, Hospitals, and the like administrating them. My work has gotten no information from the county on this, but we expect the county will eventually have these places participant. Certainly it would help as some people are awaiting for their local doctor to have it or at least Health facility.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:10 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
governator wrote:

Good job NJ is doing. There is terrific news and hopefully they are having no problems administering it.

Here not there..Orange county is 65 and above now

Long beach and LA county are planning to be there the end of this month.

As far as the administration of the vaccine, Disneyland and Dodger stadium are opening mass vaccination sites.

But I don't know when the state will have the Health Centers, Hospitals, and the like administrating them. My work has gotten no information from the county on this, but we expect the county will eventually have these places participant. Certainly it would help as some people are awaiting for their local doctor to have it or at least Health facility.

caveat tho, haven't heard anything bad about NJ but NY, NYC specifically is running out of vaccine already (as per Mayor this morning, heard it in radio... 1 week max, the state just have to rearrange supply) but at least people can get the appointment set up and lifts up some of the anxiety people feel, especially about getting the grandparents/parents 'in line'
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:07 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
lol Smoothness. Yes it is something easily missed.

cal1 not surprised by the lack of interest in some places. And I think that is okay for now. Once a lot of people have it and others realize the side effects are temporary, they will feel more confident.

I think in the end people will be willing once they feel confident and know their friends got it and are fine.

now biden is talking 100 million doses in 3 months. seems like a huge delay from original planning?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:30 pm    Post subject:

Are we really out of new doses nationwide?
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:10 pm    Post subject:

governator wrote:

My understanding of what happened governator is that there was anticipation of expanded supply of vaccine doses because the Trump administration announced they were going to release "excess" supply of vaccine they were holding back to ensure they had enough for second doses.

However, it seems they already done this a while ago..thereby the excess supply doesn't exists and states have whatever they have. In the case of New Jersey and New York I believe, they don't have any left and have to wait for another shipment.

California is still trying to administer the supply they have.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/15/trump-vaccine-reserve-used-up/
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
governator wrote:

My understanding of what happened governator is that there was anticipation of expanded supply of vaccine doses because the Trump administration announced they were going to release "excess" supply of vaccine they were holding back to ensure they had enough for second doses.

However, it seems they already done this a while ago..thereby the excess supply doesn't exists and states have whatever they have. In the case of New Jersey and New York I believe, they don't have any left and have to wait for another shipment.

California is still trying to administer the supply they have.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/01/15/trump-vaccine-reserve-used-up/

Cali not gonna move to next phase until HCW phase is done so you guys are actually not confusing
NYC, there’s people that’s made to their appt and turns out no appt/‘opened too early’, the mayor pleading openly for the states to send more doses/NYC projected to be out next week, the gov said there’s no more shipment coming from fed, free for all-ish, not good
LakerSD
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
The NBA will soon be up to nine teams allowing reduced crowds with Atlanta and Miami planning to start admitting fans this week, Indiana starting last week and Memphis allowing floor-seat and suite-ticket holders. Cleveland, Houston, New Orleans, Orlando and Utah are the others
lar9149
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:36 pm    Post subject:

Update on Johnson and Johnson’s single dose vaccine

https://www.businessinsider.com/moderna-scientist-kizzy-johnson-and-johnson-covid-shot-darn-good-2021-1?amp

Basically results are pretty darn good. 85 percent effective in reducing severe Covid.

72 percent effective in reducing symptoms from Covid in the USA. Bad news is about 55 percent effective in South Africa where a new variant of Covid makes up a majority of cases. In other words it may have a harder time against the new Covid variant from South Africa.

Since it’s single dose it could be definitely help with vaccine distribution and eve through it’s less effective than Moderna or Pfizer it still very effective in reducing severe Covid and deaths. They are expected to start emergency use authorization with FDA starting next week.
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

Location: Prarie & Manchester, high above the western sideline

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:25 pm    Post subject:

The early pages of this thread are pure cringe.

Mamba81 wrote:
lol this whole thing is a joke

Sister Golden Hair wrote:
LAMAR ODOM is an anagram for ... DOOM ALARM
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:27 pm    Post subject:

CervantesRises wrote:

My background is in medicine.
And I worry for our country.

I worry that we've become so afraid of getting sick that we are surrendering freedoms millions before us have fought and died to protect.

I worry that our lack of understanding of how our immune system works and how awesome it is makes situations like this so much worse than it really is.

There are 2 factors in infection...Exposure...which we all know of. And Susceptibility...which very few acknowledge.

There is a reason that COVID-19 is dangerous for elderly, people with severe and declining health statuses, and the immunocompromised....because they are more susceptible.

We dont know what the actual fatality rate is with COVID-19 because we have no idea of the true amount of people who have been infected and without that number we can only use the confirmed infection numbers which are always much lower than the true number...which in turn inflates the morbidity rates. They will adjust these down later in the year AND every epidemiologist who has been quoted on this agrees. Right now it is at 3.88% but that's not using people who have been infected but not yet reported.

That means that 96.12% recover...and 75% of that is within 2 weeks according to the CDC.

As of yesterday 3119 of the 3800 fatalities have occurred China related directly to the epicenter. That is wonderful news for the world.

If new hotspots were showing spread rates at the same infectious acceleration as the epicenter then it would mean this virus can likely be transmitted via aerosol droplets and then is MUCH more dangerous. What we think we know now is that it can be spread through respiratory droplets...aka a runny nose.

The most common symptoms mimic typical viral infections in most previously healthy people. Low grade fever, body aches as the immune system produces interferon to block viral replications buying time for antigen presenting cells to replicate and study these antigen for eradication, cough, runny nose, head aches, etc.

Is death sad regardless...of course.

But fear is an infection as well.

Fear leads to irrational behavior...behavior that adversely impacts our freedoms.

Soap is amazing.
Indoor plumbing is amazing.
Refrigeration is amazing.
Hot water heaters are amazing.
Stoves are amazing.
Daily baths are amazing.
Clean water is amazing.
Daily change of clothes are amazing.
Sanitation departments are amazing.

All of these technologies become common in households of 1st world nations after the last major airborne pandemic. The Spanish Flu of 1918.

My point is that the public health is beautifully protected by these technologies and has been for now more than a century.

COVID-19 is scary...I get it.

I'm simply saying...go to the CDC and WHO and look at the actual data. It's incredibly reassuring.

And that if you only rely on the fear being peddled by the media cherry picking stats based on incomplete data then you risk paying to surrender freedoms that too many brave men and women have fought and died to protect.

Respect each of you and the situation.

I just refuse to be swept up into the fear generated hysteria and I encourage each of you to look at the data so you dont have to either.

#SARS
#Ebola
#Zika
#SwineFlu
#BirdFlu
#FollowTheMoney

You dumb son of a (bleep). Do you use words like "media" and "freedoms" and "fought and died to protect" when you treat sick patients? Yikes.

Last edited by C M B on Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
C M B
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 2:29 pm    Post subject:

Mamba81 wrote:

here you go again. i never said coronavirus is a hoax nor do i believe that. at the same time i refuse to be one of these ppl losing their mind and walking around with masks. when health experts have said not to do any of this.

lakersken80
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 5:09 pm    Post subject:

Looking back and this and the other thread....I don't think most people thought this thing would basically shut down the world for an estimated 2 years (I know we are barely a 1 year and a couple months from when we first heard of the first infections in China but the vaccination process is taking some time) .....I don't see us going back to normal or anything close to normal until the majority of the population is vaccinated which could start taking hold at the end of this year, or early next year.
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:12 am    Post subject:

C M B wrote:
CervantesRises wrote:

My background is in medicine.
And I worry for our country.

I worry that we've become so afraid of getting sick that we are surrendering freedoms millions before us have fought and died to protect.

I worry that our lack of understanding of how our immune system works and how awesome it is makes situations like this so much worse than it really is.

There are 2 factors in infection...Exposure...which we all know of. And Susceptibility...which very few acknowledge.

There is a reason that COVID-19 is dangerous for elderly, people with severe and declining health statuses, and the immunocompromised....because they are more susceptible.

We dont know what the actual fatality rate is with COVID-19 because we have no idea of the true amount of people who have been infected and without that number we can only use the confirmed infection numbers which are always much lower than the true number...which in turn inflates the morbidity rates. They will adjust these down later in the year AND every epidemiologist who has been quoted on this agrees. Right now it is at 3.88% but that's not using people who have been infected but not yet reported.

That means that 96.12% recover...and 75% of that is within 2 weeks according to the CDC.

As of yesterday 3119 of the 3800 fatalities have occurred China related directly to the epicenter. That is wonderful news for the world.

If new hotspots were showing spread rates at the same infectious acceleration as the epicenter then it would mean this virus can likely be transmitted via aerosol droplets and then is MUCH more dangerous. What we think we know now is that it can be spread through respiratory droplets...aka a runny nose.

The most common symptoms mimic typical viral infections in most previously healthy people. Low grade fever, body aches as the immune system produces interferon to block viral replications buying time for antigen presenting cells to replicate and study these antigen for eradication, cough, runny nose, head aches, etc.

Is death sad regardless...of course.

But fear is an infection as well.

Fear leads to irrational behavior...behavior that adversely impacts our freedoms.

Soap is amazing.
Indoor plumbing is amazing.
Refrigeration is amazing.
Hot water heaters are amazing.
Stoves are amazing.
Daily baths are amazing.
Clean water is amazing.
Daily change of clothes are amazing.
Sanitation departments are amazing.

All of these technologies become common in households of 1st world nations after the last major airborne pandemic. The Spanish Flu of 1918.

My point is that the public health is beautifully protected by these technologies and has been for now more than a century.

COVID-19 is scary...I get it.

I'm simply saying...go to the CDC and WHO and look at the actual data. It's incredibly reassuring.

And that if you only rely on the fear being peddled by the media cherry picking stats based on incomplete data then you risk paying to surrender freedoms that too many brave men and women have fought and died to protect.

Respect each of you and the situation.

I just refuse to be swept up into the fear generated hysteria and I encourage each of you to look at the data so you dont have to either.

#SARS
#Ebola
#Zika
#SwineFlu
#BirdFlu
#FollowTheMoney

You dumb son of a (bleep). Do you use words like "media" and "freedoms" and "fought and died to protect" when you treat sick patients? Yikes.

wow reading this now is pretty sad.
this is the reason why covid became 10x worse than it had to be...
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

new cases are down, good.
vaccines taking a bit longer to be generally available, expected.
more mutation news as virus evolve due to antibodies from vaccination and prior infections.

looks like covid is here to stay.
hopefully severity becomes like the cold and the flu
even with mutations, we have some level of protection from severe cases
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:21 am    Post subject:

pfizer vaccine can be stored at regular freezer temperatures

https://www.pfizer.com/news/press-release/press-release-detail/pfizer-and-biontech-submit-covid-19-vaccine-stability-data
cal1piggy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:24 am    Post subject:

lar9149 wrote:
Update on Johnson and Johnson’s single dose vaccine

https://www.businessinsider.com/moderna-scientist-kizzy-johnson-and-johnson-covid-shot-darn-good-2021-1?amp

Basically results are pretty darn good. 85 percent effective in reducing severe Covid.

72 percent effective in reducing symptoms from Covid in the USA. Bad news is about 55 percent effective in South Africa where a new variant of Covid makes up a majority of cases. In other words it may have a harder time against the new Covid variant from South Africa.

Since it’s single dose it could be definitely help with vaccine distribution and eve through it’s less effective than Moderna or Pfizer it still very effective in reducing severe Covid and deaths. They are expected to start emergency use authorization with FDA starting next week.

thanks lar

is the 85% in reducing severe symptoms the same parameter as the pfizer being 95%? or is it the 72% for apples to apples?
Four Decade Bandwagon
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 8:42 am    Post subject:

cal1piggy wrote:
more mutation news as virus evolve due to antibodies from vaccination and prior infections.

Of course the new cases are down. The PCR test threshold was changed to ensure the numbers went down.

All the other societal safety protocols of vaccinations, masking, social distancing and intelligent safety measures all absolutely contribute.

But changing the line in the sand of what constitutes a "positive" sure contributes to the "new cases being down".
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:07 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Of course the new cases are down. The PCR test threshold was changed to ensure the numbers went down.

All the other societal safety protocols of vaccinations, masking, social distancing and intelligent safety measures all absolutely contribute.

But changing the line in the sand of what constitutes a "positive" sure contributes to the "new cases being down".

I didn't know about the PCR treshold being changed. Does hospitalization rate, death rate, rapid covid test positivity differ than the PCR positivity rate decrease?
ThePageDude
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

Four Decade Bandwagon wrote:
cal1piggy wrote:

Do you have a source where you're getting your information from?
I'm only aware of one incidence of confusion which the following clears up:
https://healthfeedback.org/claimreview/most-positive-pcr-test-results-are-true-positives-who-information-notice-didnt-change-threshold-or-criteria-for-a-positive-test/?fbclid=IwAR1DrdR__cDvwEl4CP4CWBQPIiiXnrHsEyq-Oj8ni6r8mK1Oc_6E3PSPRZM
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 119, 120, 121 ... 128, 129, 130  Next
Page 120 of 130
Jump to: