BLACK LIVES MATTER (Please Continue to Say Their Names) - DALANEO MARTIN
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74, 75, 76  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
hoopschick29
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

I'll just leave this here for y'all viewing pleasure.

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2021 5:53 pm    Post subject:

^^^ WOW!!!

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
DancingBarry
Editor-in-Chief
Editor-in-Chief

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 11:20 am    Post subject:

hoopschick29 wrote:

Some of the stats she used I've found especially helpful when dealing with friends/relatives that need some perspective/data.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:29 pm    Post subject:

DancingBarry wrote:
hoopschick29 wrote:

Some of the stats she used I've found especially helpful when dealing with friends/relatives that need some perspective/data.

Those stats may be disturbing to some but not surprising.

Seems like (Please Continue To Say Their Names) changes every week.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:22 am    Post subject:

Prosecutor who detailed Toledo shooting video put on leave because he ‘failed to fully present the facts,’ Foxx’s office says

LINK

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 7:54 am    Post subject:

Maxine Waters picture. 26 year veteran didn't know the difference between a gun and a taser. LINK

jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Similar to hoopschick I post this for y'all to view. The closet door no longer has hinges. LINK

DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:01 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Similar to hoopschick I post this for y'all to view. The closet door no longer has hinges. LINK

The Sergeant has been charged with assault and been relieved of duty by the Army pending an investigation.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2021 6:27 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The Sergeant has been charged with assault and been relieved of duty by the Army pending an investigation.

Kinda figured if it got back to the Army they would take action. Ironic the services are racist hotbeds.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 6:08 am    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Kinda figured if it got back to the Army they would take action. Ironic the services are racist hotbeds.

The military has a decent track record of rooting out racists, but a 20-year war on Islam undid a lot of their progress.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:05 am    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

The military has a decent track record of rooting out racists, but a 20-year war on Islam undid a lot of their progress.

Racism in the service is veiled. A petty officer may assign a White seaman to coffee making duties and assign a Black seaman to swab the decks. I know of what I speak to be true.

Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

jodeke wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

Racism in the service is veiled. A petty officer may assign a White seaman to coffee making duties and assign a Black seaman to swab the decks. I know of what I speak to be true.

#Metoo

I seemed to serve way more midwatches than my white counterparts. That was 40 years ago - I hope things have improved.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:02 pm    Post subject:

Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I’m not sure where you saw the progress before that. When I was in in the 80’s, you couldn’t shake a stick and not whack two or three racist rednecks.
Dr. Laker
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:17 am    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
Dr. Laker wrote:
jodeke wrote:
DaMuleRules wrote:
jodeke wrote:

I’m not sure where you saw the progress before that. When I was in in the 80’s, you couldn’t shake a stick and not whack two or three racist rednecks.

I enlisted in the Navy in 1981. I whined to my dad about the BS I saw and he told me about the BS he dealt with when he was drafted in 1951. I preferred the 1981 BS. I'm sure young BIPOC are dealing with it in 2021, but I doubt it's as bad as when I was in and I know it wasn't as bad as it was when my dad was serving.

[Coincidentally, I did boot camp at NTC San Diego and was in the same barracks he was in 30 years earlier. One big difference - the CO of NTC in 1981 was black.]

My F-I-L was a CPO in the late 60s and went to go bowling with his (white) fellow chiefs in Patuxent River, MD. The bowling alley wouldn't let him in because he was black (yes, he was in uniform).
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 1:39 pm    Post subject:

Let this be a lesson to all the dirty cops out there that they are no longer untouchable.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:41 pm    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Let this be a lesson to all the dirty cops out there that they are no longer untouchable.

Makiyah Bryant

https://www.cbs42.com/news/1-dead-in-officer-involved-shooting-in-ohio-mayor-identifies-victim-as-young-woman/

Unfortunately, I don't think any charges will had in this situation.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:25 am    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Makiyah Bryant

https://www.cbs42.com/news/1-dead-in-officer-involved-shooting-in-ohio-mayor-identifies-victim-as-young-woman/

Sad that these incidents continue.
Black20Ice
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 5:12 am    Post subject:

BadGuy wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Makiyah Bryant

I just now watched a clip of her aunt saying "say her name" and that the girl was being abused in that foster home.

My question is why is this girl living in foster care if her aunt and mother care so much? What also bothered me is her mother was not crying when she was being interviewed hours after her child got killed. Everyone failed this girl. The cop won't get charged because that dusty ass man handed her that knife in front of the police which was the setup to getting her killed. This girl was surrounded by trash.

RIP Ma'Kiyah.
BadGuy
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 2:35 pm    Post subject:

Black20Ice wrote:
BadGuy wrote:
Black20Ice wrote:
BadGuy wrote:

Makiyah Bryant

I just now watched a clip of her aunt saying "say her name" and that the girl was being abused in that foster home.

My question is why is this girl living in foster care if her aunt and mother care so much? What also bothered me is her mother was not crying when she was being interviewed hours after her child got killed. Everyone failed this girl. The cop won't get charged because that dusty ass man handed her that knife in front of the police which was the setup to getting her killed. This girl was surrounded by trash.

RIP Ma'Kiyah.

Sounds like this example isn't really relevant in terms of "dirty cops." In this scenario, the cop seems to have been justified in stopping the assault with the knife...unless i am missing something?
Lonzo-Lite
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2021 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Watched the video, turned my opinion around. I now can understand why the officer opened fire. Was it too much? Yes, 4 shots was too much, but at the same time he was clearly trying to protect someone from getting stabbed. I don’t see “dirty cop” at all, more like cop who probably needed more training. Read he was only a cop for a year and a half.
Texas_Pete
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:31 am    Post subject:

Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Watched the video, turned my opinion around. I now can understand why the officer opened fire. Was it too much? Yes, 4 shots was too much, but at the same time he was clearly trying to protect someone from getting stabbed. I don’t see “dirty cop” at all, more like cop who probably needed more training. Read he was only a cop for a year and a half.

A taser would have stopped her with no problem. He shot 4 times. He meant to kill, not deescelate the situation.

If Ma'Kiyah was caucasian, she would not have been shot 4 times in the chest. Dirty cop indeed.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:30 am    Post subject:

We don’t have all of the unedited video so it is hard to make a complete judgement. The video supplied makes a case for the shoot on the grounds of a deadly weapon and proximity to a target and clear intent to use it. But it doesn’t give us all the angles. It does raise how frightfully close the “potential victim” is to the bullets, and raises the question that if he was trying to save her, why does he spray four bullets into a person almost right on top of her. The standard shooting training is two shots and a pause to assess, as well as consideration of the background and risk to others. He followed neither of these well. It seems he saw a fight, pulled his gun early on, saw a knife, and blazed away.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:46 am    Post subject:

It's easy to be an armchair policeman. When someone is killed by the police John-Q Public makes a judgment. They sometimes own the position of the person killed. How many own the position of the policemen? Put the hat on before you make a judgment.

Someone who has a knife is charging you or threatening the life of another. What happens? Your training kicks in. Split-second decisions are made. Oft times they result in the death of the person with the knife.

Did this officer follow his training? I don't know his department policies.

What concerns me. I've seen many videos when the person with the knife was White they were arrested. There may be some but I've never seen one when the person with the knife was Black arrested, instead, they were killed.

WHY???!!!

That's not trained/taught. IMO it's based on skin color. Why in the hell are we so menacing?

You know something's wrong when while a policeman was on trial for killing an unarmed Black man another was killed just 10 miles away.

We're not the worst guys. I don't have a chart of how many Blacks are killed by Black policemen nor do I have one that charts how many Blacks are killed by White policemen. If I had to hazard a guess, I'd hazard more are killed by White policemen than are Black policemen. If I'm right the reason for that needs to be discussed and remedied.

Last edited by jodeke on Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:

A taser would have stopped her with no problem. He shot 4 times. He meant to kill, not deescelate the situation.

If Ma'Kiyah was caucasian, she would not have been shot 4 times in the chest. Dirty cop indeed.

Tasers aren’t magic non-lethal solutions. They’re fallible as hell. They can ironically be both more dangerous than expected - ie people have died from being tased - and not effective at all at incapacitating someone, either because the prongs got caught on some clothing far away enough from the skin or a prong missed, or just because an attacker is too big. An officer should absolutely be using a taser when an attacker with a knife is coming at them, because the officer is trained and also usually has multiple backup officers to help, but when it’s someone else who most likely has no training? That isn’t a clear solution.

This is a rare situation where it looks like the officer made the best choice he could in the time he had. In hindsight, knowing now that the girl was about to try to apparently stab another girl within seconds of his arrival, sure he could have maybe rolled up sirens blazing and straight charged the girl with the knife, but that’s hindsight knowing exactly what was going to happen and having time to carefully consider options with knowledge that the officer likely didn’t have. Shooting the way he did was absolutely dangerous in that he could have hit someone else, particularly the girl who looked like she was about to be stabbed, but in the brief time the officer had, it was an acceptable option in my mind. I’d like to argue that standard patrol officers should be issued rubber rounds, but then I’d be concerned that officers would be even more willing to pull the trigger knowing that their rounds are “less lethal”.

Far too many examples of bad officer shootings over the years, but this doesn’t look like one of them. I won’t say it’s a good shooting, since any incident where a 16 year old child ends up dead is tragic, but it’s a justifiable one, IMO.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:13 pm    Post subject:

Halflife wrote:

Quote:
crazy to see how triggered some are by James tweet yet never posted a thing about mistaking a gun for a taser.

You're Next may be true but IMO it's not something to be tweeted in a social media forum. He did the right thing by deleting the tweet. I think he tweeted out of frustration and anger.

Let's hope the conviction of Derek Chauvin won't crescendo for change and recede as police shootings have in the past.

Let's hope Gianna Floyd saying My Daddy Changed The World! comes to fruition.

In the words of the Sam Cooke classic, A Change Is Gonna Come!

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 68, 69, 70 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 69 of 76
Jump to: