The Big Problem with Lakers' Hopes to Retain Andre Drummond
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:55 am    Post subject: The Big Problem with Lakers' Hopes to Retain Andre Drummond

Hey All,

Latest @BleacherReport The Big Problem with Lakers' Hopes to Retain Andre Drummond - LAL can keep AD2, if he's willing to sacrifice financially, but it's not a question of will they pay him "more" but can they? How do Schroder, THT, Caruso, KCP factor in? https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2939429-the-big-problem-with-lakers-hopes-to-retain-andre-drummond

Cheers,

EP
joeblow
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2021 7:14 am    Post subject:

A few questions...

Was Deng's $5 million penalty factored into the scenarios for next season? I didn't see it mentioned in the assumptions section. Also, are the Lakers subject to the repeater tax, and if so, is that what was reflected in the scenarios?

Overall, I would accept scenario #2, and allow Caruso to move on despite really liking him on our squad. THT's ceiling is just too enticing.
markjay
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 8:39 pm    Post subject:

joeblow wrote:
A few questions...

Was Deng's $5 million penalty factored into the scenarios for next season? I didn't see it mentioned in the assumptions section. Also, are the Lakers subject to the repeater tax, and if so, is that what was reflected in the scenarios?

Overall, I would accept scenario #2, and allow Caruso to move on despite really liking him on our squad. THT's ceiling is just too enticing.

It sure would be painful to have to lose Caruso because of Deng's salary!
emplay
Site Staff
Site Staff

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, Deng is in the calculations - joe, lol, always
Laker4lifer4real
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:09 am    Post subject:

IMO if we go again with the Drummond route at $9.5 million, we let DS and Harrell walk, reisign AC and THT, and pay taxes to keep KCP if he balls out in the Playoffs again. With Lebron starting, THT runs the point for the second unit, and AC plays with Lebron. With AD healthy and AD2, Harrell is redundant. But, we have to see how AD and Drummund work together before we can make any moves. Kuz or KCP can also secure a spot next year with strong Playoff showings. This team has a LOT of incentives to do well in the Playoffs with long reaching implications in our future direction. In all these scenarios Kieff is gone too, but maybe you keep him over AC if he balls out in Playoffs again. Or pay DS if he kills it in the Playoffs and let Drummond walk because you have enough size with AD and may try to get McGee back or even Dwight or another cheap big looking for a ring rather than a payday. Or even Harrell. Lots of options.
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject:

From what I've seen of Drummond, I am happy to see him leave. He is not worth much money in today's NBA. Unless he rethinks his game ala Dwight Howard. His offense is just so ugly! His defense is meh. Don't see why we want to let so many good players walk just to keep this overpriced rebounding machine.
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:28 am    Post subject:

Big Game James wrote:
From what I've seen of Drummond, I am happy to see him leave. He is not worth much money in today's NBA. Unless he rethinks his game ala Dwight Howard. His offense is just so ugly! His defense is meh. Don't see why we want to let so many good players walk just to keep this overpriced rebounding machine.

I'm laughing at that statement because, at times at least, it's true. For me, a kind of ugliness happens when he drives right into the player, has to dislodge the ball because they're so close, and not travel at the same time. In short, his footwork is not as fluid as say...the other AD...

But there's hope. He should master the short right & left hand half jumper/hook shot to augment his "power" move, if it can be called that. The short right & left jumper/hook would be great for his footwork because it'll keep him on the move instead of him trying to awkwardly power through guys at times.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: Santa Clarita, CA (Hell) ->>>>>Ithaca, NY -≥≥≥≥≥Berkeley, CA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:58 am    Post subject:

LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

I'm laughing at that statement because, at times at least, it's true. For me, a kind of ugliness happens when he drives right into the player, has to dislodge the ball because they're so close, and not travel at the same time. In short, his footwork is not as fluid as say...the other AD...

But there's hope. He should master the short right & left hand half jumper/hook shot to augment his "power" move, if it can be called that. The short right & left jumper/hook would be great for his footwork because it'll keep him on the move instead of him trying to awkwardly power through guys at times.

Rich man’s Kwame Brown?

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
LakerDYnasty72
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 11:31 am    Post subject:

CandyCanes wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Rich man’s Kwame Brown?

There were similarities between the two when AD first arrive, like bobbling the initial post entry pass. The problem with Kwame was his bobbling would continue too often.

I haven't noticed that as much now w/Drummond. Hopefully, it's not an issue.
mhan00
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu May 06, 2021 10:04 pm    Post subject:

Who cares? Let him leave.
delaluz
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2021 3:17 am    Post subject:

On some plays he looks like he is channeling his inner Robert Sacre.

CandyCanes wrote:
LakerDYnasty72 wrote:
Big Game James wrote:

Rich man’s Kwame Brown?
jonnybravo
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat May 15, 2021 1:50 pm    Post subject:

The biggest problem is that he's not that good.
cathy78
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 3:49 am    Post subject:

jonnybravo wrote:
The biggest problem is that he's not that good.
gng930
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2021 8:58 am    Post subject:

I'm not for giving up at least 2-3 rotation players so that we can give pay Drummond $4 million extra. We're giving up too much versatility for a guy that isn't versatile. He may be worth more to other teams but not to us and to pay him too much under a hard cap is dangerous.
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2021 6:30 am    Post subject:

[quote="delaluz"]On some plays he looks like he is channeling his inner Robert Sacre.

[quote="CandyCanes"][quote="LakerDYnasty72"][quote="Big Game James"]From what I've seen of Drummond, I am happy to see him leave. He is not worth much money in today's NBA. Unless he rethinks his game ala Dwight Howard. [b]His offense is just so ugly[/b]! His defense is meh. Don't see why we want to let so many good players walk just to keep this overpriced rebounding machine.[/quote]

But there's hope. He should master the short right & left hand half jumper/hook shot to augment his "power" move, if it can be called that. The short right & left jumper/hook would be great for his footwork because it'll keep him on the move instead of him trying to awkwardly power through guys at times.[/quote]

Rich man’s Kwame Brown?[/quote][/quote]

Kwame Brown plays better defense
Vercetti
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2021 12:35 pm    Post subject:

Have not been impressed with him since he started playing with team.
Birmingham
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2021 1:25 pm    Post subject:

A) Why would we hope to retain him?

B) Why is this thread still a sticky?
Rek
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:32 am    Post subject:

Never understood why anyone was excited at the prospect of signing this guy in the first place.

There's a reason CLE couldn't find any takers and forced to cut a deal to waive him. If he was good then he wouldn't be on our roster for peanuts at his age.
Inspector Gadget
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:35 am    Post subject:

Drummond is a good player but you can’t hinge hopes that he will make a difference, Dwight Howard was different, he’s been good ever since he came to the league granted with a piss poor attitude.. and he plays elite low-post defense to boot .. Cameron Payne was doing whatever he wanted when he was taking it to the rim, it was depressing.. if we can find a way to bring Dwight back it would be great.
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:10 pm    Post subject:

The big problem is that we don’t want him anymore.

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Reply with quote
CandyCanes
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:11 pm    Post subject:

Rek wrote:
Never understood why anyone was excited at the prospect of signing this guy in the first place.

There's a reason CLE couldn't find any takers and forced to cut a deal to waive him. If he was good then he wouldn't be on our roster for peanuts at his age.

Because I hadn’t see him play much and thought averaging 17 and 15 meant he was an elite center. Still no idea how he had those averages.

unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:46 am    Post subject:

Unfortunately, I see the Lakers getting WORSE from now until LeBron retires, and here's the problems:

Overpaying Lebron & Davis has left them no cap space to bring in a third star.

Overpaying Kuz and KCP - who both sucked in the playoffs, has left them no room to bring in mid-tier talent.

NOT paying Shroder means he will sign elsewhere after this season.

NOT playing Harrell means he will sign elsewhere after this season.

Morris, McLemore and Drummond will all be leaving.

Lakers are stuck with Gasol another year.

Lakers still OWE Deng $5mil next season

Lakers need to trade Kuz (who I love) as he sucks off the bench and needs to be a starter somewhere else.

Hopefully they can resign Caruso.

The only way to keep THT is to overpay him, which further restricts their ability to assemble a quality team.

The Coach was in WAY over his head this season!

LeBron will be one year older and one year more injury prone..

Is Davis gonna go back to being injury-prone?

I'M NOT EXPECTING MUCH, GOING FORWARD....THEY WILL STILL WIN SOME GAMES, BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE YOUNG TALENT AROUND THE LEAGUE (AND SUNS THAT JUST RAN THEM OFF THE FLOOR), THERE IS NOT MUCH TO BE HAPPY ABOUT IN LAKERLAND...!
statyin
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 7:34 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
Unfortunately, I see the Lakers getting WORSE from now until LeBron retires, and here's the problems:

Overpaying Kuz and KCP - who both sucked in the playoffs, has left them no room to bring in mid-tier talent.

Lakers need to trade Kuz (who I love) as he sucks off the bench and needs to be a starter somewhere else.

The only way to keep THT is to overpay him, which further restricts their ability to assemble a quality team.

I'M NOT EXPECTING MUCH, GOING FORWARD....THEY WILL STILL WIN SOME GAMES, BUT IF YOU LOOK AT THE YOUNG TALENT AROUND THE LEAGUE (AND SUNS THAT JUST RAN THEM OFF THE FLOOR), THERE IS NOT MUCH TO BE HAPPY ABOUT IN LAKERLAND...!

We know this all too well when LBJ sign here. We know we are getting a LBJ that is on the downhill side of his career and we have a small window to win a championship. We did last year! Do we wish to get more, sure, we will see how we can get the most out of LBJ’s remaining career.
A Mad Chinaman
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:32 pm    Post subject:

statyin wrote:
unleasHell wrote:

We know this all too well when LBJ sign here. We know we are getting a LBJ that is on the downhill side of his career and we have a small window to win a championship. We did last year! Do we wish to get more, sure, we will see how we can get the most out of LBJ’s remaining career.
Paying LBJ means that one gets AD, hence not overpaying anywhere

Lakers will have only two centers next year.
It could be Gasol - or he could be traded or retire.
It could be Harrell if he exercises his player option or be traded to accomodate his wishes.
It could be Drummond if he takes the appropriate salary that provides salary flexability or he could leave for places such as New York - where he would have the same problem of providing spacing since Randle works best in the paint
It could be two entirely new centers

Schoeder has shown that he is a good starting pg for a lower tier team where he can be paid much more. Does he qualifies as an elite PG/leader - nope. In a PG-driven league, he is not even among the top ten of the best

Kuz Kuz Kuz - good rotation player that should always be a consideration when considering possible trades. His youth does not provide him the excuse that he was tired and his experience in last year's run negates that this was a new experience. Many have remarked that the young players the Lakers had are doing better elsewhere, but they have forgotten that most of them (Randle being the only exception) have not appeared in the playoffs.

KCP - good to very good defender. Surprisingly non-productive (given his inconsistency) and his position as SG is only tolerable

Top Priority: Caruso and TNT - they should find a way to keep both of them

Vogel is very good coach with distractors despite winning a ring and the support of AD/LBJ. What would coaches from Pop to Monte Williams to Ty Lue to Rick Carlisle to Doc Rivers have done differently - not much
dvdrdiscs
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:19 am    Post subject:

Hindsight is 20/20, but I would have certainly taken Kyle Lowry over Schroeder/KCP/THT in this first round.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2
Jump to: