Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 74, 75, 76  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
xxsicrokerxx
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:53 am    Post subject:

Texas_Pete wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Watched the video, turned my opinion around. I now can understand why the officer opened fire. Was it too much? Yes, 4 shots was too much, but at the same time he was clearly trying to protect someone from getting stabbed. I don’t see “dirty cop” at all, more like cop who probably needed more training. Read he was only a cop for a year and a half.

A taser would have stopped her with no problem. He shot 4 times. He meant to kill, not deescelate the situation.

If Ma'Kiyah was caucasian, she would not have been shot 4 times in the chest. Dirty cop indeed.
When a cop discharges his weapon, he shoots to kill, its the way cops are trained, its what they sign up for, its what your tax money goes to. They don't shoot to injure, that's unheard of. Yes, the taser would've been a better choice (I agree) but this is a bang-bang situation. It's very unfortunate.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:17 am    Post subject:

mhan00 wrote:
Texas_Pete wrote:
Lonzo-Lite wrote:
Watched the video, turned my opinion around. I now can understand why the officer opened fire. Was it too much? Yes, 4 shots was too much, but at the same time he was clearly trying to protect someone from getting stabbed. I don’t see “dirty cop” at all, more like cop who probably needed more training. Read he was only a cop for a year and a half.

A taser would have stopped her with no problem. He shot 4 times. He meant to kill, not deescelate the situation.

If Ma'Kiyah was caucasian, she would not have been shot 4 times in the chest. Dirty cop indeed.

Tasers aren’t magic non-lethal solutions. They’re fallible as hell. They can ironically be both more dangerous than expected - ie people have died from being tased - and not effective at all at incapacitating someone, either because the prongs got caught on some clothing far away enough from the skin or a prong missed, or just because an attacker is too big. An officer should absolutely be using a taser when an attacker with a knife is coming at them, because the officer is trained and also usually has multiple backup officers to help, but when it’s someone else who most likely has no training? That isn’t a clear solution.

This is a rare situation where it looks like the officer made the best choice he could in the time he had. In hindsight, knowing now that the girl was about to try to apparently stab another girl within seconds of his arrival, sure he could have maybe rolled up sirens blazing and straight charged the girl with the knife, but that’s hindsight knowing exactly what was going to happen and having time to carefully consider options with knowledge that the officer likely didn’t have. Shooting the way he did was absolutely dangerous in that he could have hit someone else, particularly the girl who looked like she was about to be stabbed, but in the brief time the officer had, it was an acceptable option in my mind. I’d like to argue that standard patrol officers should be issued rubber rounds, but then I’d be concerned that officers would be even more willing to pull the trigger knowing that their rounds are “less lethal”.

Far too many examples of bad officer shootings over the years, but this doesn’t look like one of them. I won’t say it’s a good shooting, since any incident where a 16 year old child ends up dead is tragic, but it’s a justifiable one, IMO.

Found this old article discussing taser use and its limitations. The professor here was a former officer, so may not be the most objective account, but he is a professor in this stuff so maybe speaks to some accountability for what he says. And besides this taser info should be easy to verify or not verify by now, must be enough studies on it.

Quote:
Anytime a firearm is discharged, it's considered deadly force, said David Klinger, professor of Criminology and Criminal Justice at the University of Missouri-St. Louis. Shooting to injure or maim someone wouldn't stop an aggressive subject, Klinger said, and officers are trying to stop the threat to their life, or the life of their partner or a citizen.

"Why would we want to injure or maim people?" he said. "It doesn't stop them."
Quote:
But, tasers should "never" be an alternative to deadly force, Klinger said, calling the idea a "huge misconception."

Tasers should only be used in situations that require a force less than deadly force, or if a police officer believes he can prevent a situation from escalating to deadly force.

Tasers are not foolproof. The probes that generate the electric shock can miss, get caught in clothing or may simply not affect the suspect. Klinger called it "unreasonable" for police to gamble with their lives or the life of a third party by using a taser when deadly force is necessary.

"If you're in a situation where you need to stop the person now or else someone will be seriously injured or killed, you are betting that the taser will work," he said.

Also, an lone officer would never use a taser. In cases where there are two officers, one officer will usually administer the taser, while the other provides "lethal coverage" in the event that the taser doesn't work, Klinger said.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:59 am    Post subject:

The officer pulled his gun pretty early, and he either saw the knife, in which case he had the opportunity to take the girl down as she was right in front of him, or he was scared in a scuffle of young women, in which case he should not being doing that work, and shouldn’t have waded in if he could t handle himself.

The shoot itself was justified in the narrow terms that she was attacking another person with a deadly weapon, but both what he did leading up to that and his reckless disregard for the person he was ostensibly protecting make it less so or not at all.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:51 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
But, tasers should "never" be an alternative to deadly force, Klinger said, calling the idea a "huge misconception."

Tasers should only be used in situations that require a force less than deadly force, or if a police officer believes he can prevent a situation from escalating to deadly force.

Tasers are not foolproof. The probes that generate the electric shock can miss, get caught in clothing or may simply not affect the suspect. Klinger called it "unreasonable" for police to gamble with their lives or the life of a third party by using a taser when deadly force is necessary.

"If you're in a situation where you need to stop the person now or else someone will be seriously injured or killed, you are betting that the taser will work," he said.

Also, an lone officer would never use a taser. In cases where there are two officers, one officer will usually administer the taser, while the other provides "lethal coverage" in the event that the taser doesn't work, Klinger said.

Those two statements are contradictory. If you should only use a taser in situations "that require a force less than deadly force", why would you have an officer "provide 'lethal coverage'"?
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
LakersRGolden
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:55 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Quote:

Those two statements are contradictory. If you should only use a taser in situations "that require a force less than deadly force", why would you have an officer "provide 'lethal coverage'"?

Escalation. Likely due to a failed or partial tasing.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 1:56 pm    Post subject:

DaMuleRules wrote:
Quote:

It’s the second part of the first bolded statement. You use a taser to try and stop something from becoming a deadly force situation. Just as you should use your words to stop it from becoming a taser situation.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:28 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
The officer pulled his gun pretty early, and he either saw the knife, in which case he had the opportunity to take the girl down as she was right in front of him, or he was scared in a scuffle of young women, in which case he should not being doing that work, and shouldn’t have waded in if he could t handle himself.

The shoot itself was justified in the narrow terms that she was attacking another person with a deadly weapon, but both what he did leading up to that and his reckless disregard for the person he was ostensibly protecting make it less so or not at all.

I don't see it as pretty early. It was not a scuffle, it was a knife attack by one girl, I think (not certain) on the first girl who fell down as they came down the driveway. The officer pulled his deadlyforce weapon, Bryant picked up the knife from the ground that, I think, she had dropped, and then went to stab the pink clothes girl. This is my view from what I saw in the one video. Because it's not the full picture, but the only one I have, I am not certain what happened, but without anything more that's what it looks to me. In this view, I think the officer saw the knife prior to when it is the first time I see the object in the video (i.e. when she picks something up off the ground) and then more clearly see a knife that she rears her arm back to try to attack the second pink clothes girl.

Do you think it is pretty early because you believe the knife is not there in the Bryant first girl part (or that the officer does not see a knife either before Bryant picks it up)? Short of these two scenarios, I cannot see otherwise how it could it be considered pretty early.
I also think this happens real fast overall. I am also not sure if the rolling girl rolled into the officer or not was the other thing that was hard to tell.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2021 6:08 pm    Post subject:

IMO Reardon was quick to pull the trigger. Police are trained to deescalate verbally, he didn't exercise that option. Verbal deescalation is difficult when you hear a threat to stab and witness an attempt to carry out that threat. Split second decisions are sometimes questionable.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:27 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I don't see it as pretty early. It was not a scuffle, it was a knife attack by one girl, I think (not certain) on the first girl who fell down as they came down the driveway. The officer pulled his deadlyforce weapon, Bryant picked up the knife from the ground that, I think, she had dropped, and then went to stab the pink clothes girl. This is my view from what I saw in the one video. Because it's not the full picture, but the only one I have, I am not certain what happened, but without anything more that's what it looks to me. In this view, I think the officer saw the knife prior to when it is the first time I see the object in the video (i.e. when she picks something up off the ground) and then more clearly see a knife that she rears her arm back to try to attack the second pink clothes girl.

Do you think it is pretty early because you believe the knife is not there in the Bryant first girl part (or that the officer does not see a knife either before Bryant picks it up)? Short of these two scenarios, I cannot see otherwise how it could it be considered pretty early.
I also think this happens real fast overall. I am also not sure if the rolling girl rolled into the officer or not was the other thing that was hard to tell.

I can’t know whether he saw the knife, but it is too early either way:

If he didn’t see the knife he panicked based on what? The sprawl of the people around him? If he doesn’t see the knife and he has over watch from his partner, why draw the gun? It gives him less options and increases the chance he will use it.

If he did see the knife, it would have been in the context of no one being attacked yet (she actually attacks to his left after he is momentarily distracted by people falling away to his right), and she and the knife were right in front of him. The taser or a tackle are warranted there IMO, not pulling a gun.

Because he pulled the gun, and lost sight of her for a moment, created the situation where he had the gun in hand and she was moving away and attacking the other person.

FYI, standard police procedure would be to call out a weapon if you saw it. Especially if you rolled up code two, indicating no expectation of weapons.
unleasHell
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 10:30 am    Post subject:

focus wrote:

I don't see it as pretty early. It was not a scuffle, it was a knife attack by one girl, I think (not certain) on the first girl who fell down as they came down the driveway. The officer pulled his deadly force weapon, Bryant picked up the knife from the ground that, I think, she had dropped, and then went to stab the pink clothes girl. This is my view from what I saw in the one video. Because it's not the full picture, but the only one I have, I am not certain what happened, but without anything more that's what it looks to me. In this view, I think the officer saw the knife prior to when it is the first time I see the object in the video (i.e. when she picks something up off the ground) and then more clearly see a knife that she rears her arm back to try to attack the second pink clothes girl.

I think you are missing the point here, first police need to have more psychic training so than can better guess at what is going on. Next, even though the officer was responding to "A knife attack" he should have been alerted that is was not a white person and had his taser out instead of a gun!

He also should have gotten closer and tried to diffuse the situation with words, not close enough to have the knife wielding person charge him, but close enough to not make a rush-to-judgement, even if the other girl took a few jabs with the 8" knife she probably would have lived anyway, so they was no need to kill the perpetrator...!
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:02 pm    Post subject:

Omar Little wrote:
focus wrote:
Omar Little wrote:

I can’t know whether he saw the knife, but it is too early either way:

If he didn’t see the knife he panicked based on what? The sprawl of the people around him? If he doesn’t see the knife and he has over watch from his partner, why draw the gun? It gives him less options and increases the chance he will use it.

If he did see the knife, it would have been in the context of no one being attacked yet (she actually attacks to his left after he is momentarily distracted by people falling away to his right), and she and the knife were right in front of him. The taser or a tackle are warranted there IMO, not pulling a gun.

Because he pulled the gun, and lost sight of her for a moment, created the situation where he had the gun in hand and she was moving away and attacking the other person.

FYI, standard police procedure would be to call out a weapon if you saw it. Especially if you rolled up code two, indicating no expectation of weapons.

Regarding the bolded, I don't quite understand what you are saying. I am saying IF he did see the knife when she moves into the first rolling girl...that that is the attack. i can't see the knife right in front of him at that point, the first time I see it is on the ground (slightly later). Tackling someone armed? No. There's just a lot we seem to see differently here, but maybe that initial difference on the first girl being attacked or not, along with our apparent differences on how fast stuff happened with regard to protecting the second girl, so I will leave it there for now.
Regarding underlined part about procedure, if he called out the weapon, he maybe could not say on the ground to the other person? Speculating,don't know.

The key thing to me is that this stuff happened really fast.

Before I forget, you sound knowledgeable about this kind of thing...where is the bodycam actually placed usually on an officer's body? Is it on the chest, or in the nameplate or button? I dont know how small these are. I also ask this bc if on body, that perhaps doesn't necessarily mean his eyes are in the same direction such that he doesn't see something, turning head e.g.
Thanks for engaging this.
focus
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:10 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
focus wrote:

I don't see it as pretty early. It was not a scuffle, it was a knife attack by one girl, I think (not certain) on the first girl who fell down as they came down the driveway. The officer pulled his deadly force weapon, Bryant picked up the knife from the ground that, I think, she had dropped, and then went to stab the pink clothes girl. This is my view from what I saw in the one video. Because it's not the full picture, but the only one I have, I am not certain what happened, but without anything more that's what it looks to me. In this view, I think the officer saw the knife prior to when it is the first time I see the object in the video (i.e. when she picks something up off the ground) and then more clearly see a knife that she rears her arm back to try to attack the second pink clothes girl.

I think you are missing the point here, first police need to have more psychic training so than can better guess at what is going on. Next, even though the officer was responding to "A knife attack" he should have been alerted that is was not a white person and had his taser out instead of a gun!

He also should have gotten closer and tried to diffuse the situation with words, not close enough to have the knife wielding person charge him, but close enough to not make a rush-to-judgement, even if the other girl took a few jabs with the 8" knife she probably would have lived anyway, so they was no need to kill the perpetrator...!

For first sentence, you might be right. Not sure what to make of your second sentence there.
Second paragraph, didn't seem like time enough to diffuse with words to me. This whole thing was fast.
Bolded sentence, you really lose me there, are you serious? How can you ignore the risk to her? Or maybe this is sarcasm, and whoosh over my head.

Reading what you say, it occurs that I should mention which i didn't in my other reply to Omar was that I actually don't know what the police knew from the initial call from the girl herself to police and you guys might know that.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:22 pm    Post subject:

unleasHell wrote:
focus wrote:

Lol cop showed up to the scene of utter chaos and had like 9 seconds to make a decision. I'm surprised he kept his wits about him. Doesn't matter what color the person was, she had a knife and attempted to murder two other girls. Cop did his job. If I'm the cop, I want to make sure I come home to my family. The scenario you proposed is a laughable one.
Runway8
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:53 pm    Post subject:

The cop had seconds to react when he stepped out the car. The girl in pink, who is also black, is grateful today. She was on camera saying, "She tried to stab me and the cop got her." This is not a case to be used as systemic racism.
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:28 am    Post subject:

So Lebron isn't outraged when black people kill other black people or black people kill and attack Asians but he's outraged when a cop saves a black life?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:33 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
So Lebron isn't outraged when black people kill other black people or black people kill and attack Asians but he's outraged when a cop saves a black life?

this is quite a spin
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:40 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

this is quite a spin

How is it spin? Please explain?
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:43 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
governator wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

this is quite a spin

Bron wasn't outraged because a cop saves a black lives... this is such a spin
Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:44 am    Post subject:

governator wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
governator wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

this is quite a spin

So he's outraged because a cop had to take a life to save a life? Was he outraged when those cops escorted him to that concert in Miami going the opposite direction of traffic?
FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:03 am    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

I got this from the Political Thread...

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=8728189#8728189

LarryCoon wrote:

1. Harvard study concluding that black people are more than three times more likely than white people to be killed in a police encounter: LINK

2. NIH study on deaths due to lethal force by law enforcement (LINK) showing that victims were disproportionately black with a fatality rate 2.8 times higher among blacks than whites, and black victims were more likely to be unarmed (14.8%) than white (9.4%) or Hispanic (5.8%) victims.

3. Another piece from Northeastern (LINK) summarizing the right-wing BS on the issue.

FernieBee
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:06 am    Post subject:

RepubliCons are racist hypocrites, is my assertion...based on personal experience and the links posted (above).

Justice for all: not just whites.

Pau Gasol's Beard
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:13 am    Post subject:

FernieBee wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

I got this from the Political Thread...

http://forums.lakersground.net/viewtopic.php?p=8728189#8728189

LarryCoon wrote:

1. Harvard study concluding that black people are more than three times more likely than white people to be killed in a police encounter: LINK

2. NIH study on deaths due to lethal force by law enforcement (LINK) showing that victims were disproportionately black with a fatality rate 2.8 times higher among blacks than whites, and black victims were more likely to be unarmed (14.8%) than white (9.4%) or Hispanic (5.8%) victims.

3. Another piece from Northeastern (LINK) summarizing the right-wing BS on the issue.

What does that have to do with this last situation? That girl was trying to murder two other girls. Maybe she shouldn't try to murder people in front of cops? That cop really had no choice but Lebron had the choice to be more well informed before jumping to conclusions.
jodeke
Retired Number
Retired Number

Location: In a world where admitting to not knowing something is considered a great way to learn.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:34 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

LeBron is outraged when Black people kill other Black people. Where do you get he's not? He's also outraged when Black people attack Asians. I haven't read anything about Blacks killing or attacking Asians, please provide a link.

LeBron tweeted out of anger and frustration. It wasn't about a White cop saving a Black, it was about another Black being killed by a policeman. Being Black I understand. Walk a mile in a Black man's shoes. LBJ apologized for his tweet.

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.

Last edited by jodeke on Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Omar Little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:22 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
governator wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:
governator wrote:
Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

this is quite a spin

So he's outraged because a cop had to take a life to save a life? Was he outraged when those cops escorted him to that concert in Miami going the opposite direction of traffic?

Maybe you should find some quiet time and leave serious discussions to the grown ups.
DaMuleRules
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:06 pm    Post subject:

Pau Gasol's Beard wrote:

What does that have to do with this last situation? That girl was trying to murder two other girls. Maybe she shouldn't try to murder people in front of cops? That cop really had no choice but Lebron had the choice to be more well informed before jumping to conclusions.

The girl that was killed by the cop was the one who called 911 because she was afraid she was going to be harmed.

The cop who responded in oder to help her rolled up and chose lethal force as his only option within less than 10 seconds of assessing the situation. As has been pointed out by people who have actually done the job of law enforcement, his choices were poor. He not only chose the worst outcome for the girl who was killed, he put others at risk by his rash decision making to open fire with others in close proximity. He chose the worst possible outcome immediately when it wasn't absolutely necessary.

Le Bron didn't make the mistake not being properly informed. He called the situation for what it is. Another cop who is not properly trained and up to the task of doing and extremely demanding job where making mistakes comes with huge consequences. He chose the easy out rather than doing his job of protecting the life and liberty of everybody involved.

It was just a knife. He was in close enough proximity that he could have chosen other options, including simply tackling her. As many teachers and youth counselors have pointed out, they have dealt with the exact same thing and resolved them while being unarmed and not killing anyone involved.

His snap decision was to kill someone so he didn't have to put himself at risk.

Being a cop is a demanding and unforgiving task. We need to stop making excuses for cops who are not up to that task, because doing so costs lives.
goes up in flames
In 24 frames

Jason Isbell

Man, do those lyrics resonate right now
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 69, 70, 71 ... 74, 75, 76  Next
Page 70 of 76
Jump to: