Frank Vogel Official Lakers Head Coach for 3-Years
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 222, 223, 224  Next

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Are you happy about Vogel becoming our coach?
No
12%
 12%  [ 62 ]
Yes
54%
 54%  [ 271 ]
Neutral
32%
 32%  [ 163 ]
Total Votes : 496

Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:06 pm    Post subject:

The trap was a great idea for most of the game. Carlisle and Luka figured it out. The counterpunch isn't a zone, it's taking out Drummond so you can switch with AD at C.

A missed opportunity that could cost the Lakers the fifth seed.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:12 pm    Post subject:

Alright, let's talk about the offense.

He's obviously doing his job on defense. But our problem is on offense and it's not "the players" it's how he's coached the offense in general, we have no offensive gameplan in terms of consistency when LeBron isn't playing and that's been painfully apparent. Even with LBJ our offense was in the 20s. But now without him it's been around 30th. While our defense has been in the Top 2.
Jordan-esque
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Carlisle adjusted well to Lakers doubling Luka. Why Vogel, a defensive coach, didn’t adjust his defense to that adjustment is bewildering, even after Vogel called a timeout Powell just still kept diving down the middle and getting dunks.
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:18 pm    Post subject:

Jordan-esque wrote:
Carlisle adjusted well to Lakers doubling Luka. Why Vogel, a defensive coach, didn’t adjust his defense to that adjustment is bewildering, even after Vogel called a timeout Powell just still kept diving down the middle and getting dunks.

The only adjustment possible was to switch and the Lakers can't do that without Davis at 5.

Why didn't Vogel pull Drummond and play AD at C? AD's health? Politics with Drummond? Sheer stupidity? Vogel hopefully has a good answer.
leking006
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:25 pm    Post subject:

Baron Von Humongous wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

The only adjustment possible was to switch and the Lakers can't do that without Davis at 5.

Why didn't Vogel pull Drummond and play AD at C? AD's health? Politics with Drummond? Sheer stupidity? Vogel hopefully has a good answer.

Well one good thing is at least they have a tape to watch on how they collapse

They should adjust from this.

Just beat the next 4 teams. And I thin they will be safe. I think they can easily beat them.

Magic
Wizards
Kings
Raptors
Baron Von Humongous
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:31 pm    Post subject:

leking006 wrote:
Jordan-esque wrote:

Well one good thing is at least they have a tape to watch on how they collapse

They should adjust from this.

Just beat the next 4 teams. And I thin they will be safe. I think they can easily beat them.

Magic
Wizards
Kings
Raptors

Right on. Less breathing room, but the adjustments are easy and AD (and possibly AD2) should feast the next few games.
MJST
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:44 pm    Post subject:

The main problem is Vogel's inability to coach/formulate an offense. He should have surrounded himself with assistants that could.
kikanga
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2021 9:50 pm    Post subject:

MJST wrote:
The main problem is Vogel's inability to coach/formulate an offense. He should have surrounded himself with assistants that could.

Remember how bad our offense looked without Rondo in the bubble. We were like worst out of all teams there. We looked hopeless when Bron sat.
Vogel's a defensive mind that pretty much gives control of the offense away to whomever is running point.

If I had to rate (1-10) him and Thibs on Offense and Defense I'd rate them like:

Thibs O: 1
Thibs D: 9

Vogel O: 3
Vogel D: 8
Big Game James
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:56 am    Post subject:

That loss was completely on Vogel. Markieff was clearly off tonight, yet Vogel insisted that Markieff get his playing time while Harrell gets a DNP. Because of his inflexibility to adapt to the current circumstances, he rode that to a loss. The last time I saw such stubborn stupidity from a coach was the entire tenure from Mike D'Antoni.

The #1 quality of a good coach is adaptability.
Lucky_Shot
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:03 am    Post subject:

kikanga wrote:
MJST wrote:

Remember how bad our offense looked without Rondo in the bubble. We were like worst out of all teams there. We looked hopeless when Bron sat.
Vogel's a defensive mind that pretty much gives control of the offense away to whomever is running point.

If I had to rate (1-10) him and Thibs on Offense and Defense I'd rate them like:

Vogel D: 8

I have it:

Thibs
O: 1
D: 8

Frank
O: 5
D: 10
Sina
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:16 am    Post subject:

[quote="Lucky_Shot"][quote="kikanga"][quote="MJST"]The main problem is Vogel's inability to coach/formulate an offense. He should have surrounded himself with assistants that could.[/quote]

Vogel D: 8[/quote]

I have it:

Thibs
O: 1
D: 8

Frank
O: 5
D: 10[/quote]

Frank is one of the best defensive coaches for sure, but his offense maybe underrated. Lakers was an above average team offensively last season.

O: 7-8
D: 9-10
ocho
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:19 am    Post subject:

Woj reporting that the Lakers intend to extend Vogel’s contract in the off season.
vasashi17+
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:50 am    Post subject:

Still stings that we were angling at bringing in Lue as HC/de facto OC while looking to add either Thibs or Vogel to his coaching staff as the DC.
quartzcharm
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 9:56 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:
Woj reporting that the Lakers intend to extend Vogel’s contract in the off season.

Good - he should be extended. Especially if he brings home the trophy again this season.
lakersfever714
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:46 am    Post subject:

ocho wrote:

$10M/yr for 10 years
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:04 am    Post subject:

The trap was a great idea for most of the game. Carlisle and Luka figured it out. The counterpunch isn't a zone, it's taking out Drummond so you can switch with AD at C.

Baron, I am not an expert at all with Basketball strategy I admit, so will you please explain why Powell was completely wide open on all his drives to the basket? There are 5 players on each team, so why that wide open? Was it because they had AD@ double Luka? If yes, why did it have to be AD2 to go out and double Luka, instead of another Lakers player?

Also, since Powell is not an outside shooter, why couldn't his defender (AD2, I believe) just "cheat" and stay close to the basket to protect the rim?

I'll also go back and see if I can see some tape of those Powell drives.

Thanks
BandwagonLBJhopper
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:04 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:

Baron, I am not an expert at all with Basketball strategy I admit, so will you please explain why Powell was completely wide open on all his drives to the basket? There are 5 players on each team, so why that wide open? Was it because they had AD@ double Luka? If yes, why did it have to be AD2 to go out and double Luka, instead of another Lakers player?

Also, since Powell is not an outside shooter, why couldn't his defender (AD2, I believe) just "cheat" and stay close to the basket to protect the rim?

Thanks

The problem was he had Drummond trapping out near half court which Carlisle adjusted by having Powell flash to the rim. If the help rotates to cover for Drummond at that point you give up an open corner three with how Carlisle spaced the floor and if you don’t rotate you give up the open lane for Powell because Drummond is too far out to recover.

The adjustment IMO would be just play Luka straight up with Caruso and Schroeder. He wants to go iso and score 50 you live with that over him picking apart your defense for dunks and open threes. No gimmick traps, that isn’t going to work on Luka who can literally pass and read defenses like Lebron.
Laker's Fan
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Vogel’s mettle is truly impressive. He was:

- Known to be the team’s third choice
- Only given two guaranteed years
- Assigned two assistants who were also candidates for his job
- One of those assistants, who had openly campaigned for the job while it was still held by Walton, was made the highest paid assistant in the league
- The same day he was introduced as head coach, Magic fired a nuke at the organization
- In addition to his two Klutch stars, his first year roster had many vocal veterans including JaVale, Dwight, Bradley, Rondo, JR Smith, Waiters and Markieff
- Had the season interrupted by a pandemic and closed in a bubble
- Follow-up to a title run into October, a minimal offseason and virtually no training camp, the team turned over a bunch of the roster, adding Montrezl, Gasol, Schroder, Matthews, Drummond and McLemore to the rotation.
- Davis isn’t right to start the season and ends up missing two months. LeBron gets hurt and still has been out much of the season too.

Has never once made excuses.
governator
Franchise Player
Franchise Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:29 pm    Post subject:

Great defense but need more plays for the role players without LeBrow, I mean the scoring droughts (better lately but still)
HermosaJoe
Starting Rotation
Starting Rotation

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:49 pm    Post subject:

BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Thanks

The problem was he had Drummond trapping out near half court which Carlisle adjusted by having Powell flash to the rim. If the help rotates to cover for Drummond at that point you give up an open corner three with how Carlisle spaced the floor and if you don’t rotate you give up the open lane for Powell because Drummond is too far out to recover.

The adjustment IMO would be just play Luka straight up with Caruso and Schroeder. He wants to go iso and score 50 you live with that over him picking apart your defense for dunks and open threes. No gimmick traps, that isn’t going to work on Luka who can literally pass and read defenses like Lebron.

Thanks, I like your adjustment. I'm assuming Luka was played straight-up on Thursday's game APR 22? If so, he scored 30 points, not a huge deal.

So I wonder why Vogel decided to switch to a trap for Saturday's game? Thought he'd be smart? But like others said, the trap worked until Dallas adjusted.

So at that point, why not SIMPLY go back to guarding him straight-up???

Better Luka beats you than get bleeping bleeping embarrassed by wide open Powell dunks! Hopefully Vogel doesn't make blunder like this during the Playoffs.
lakerican
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:19 pm    Post subject:

HermosaJoe wrote:
BandwagonLBJhopper wrote:
HermosaJoe wrote:

Thanks

Thanks, I like your adjustment. I'm assuming Luka was played straight-up on Thursday's game APR 22? If so, he scored 30 points, not a huge deal.

So I wonder why Vogel decided to switch to a trap for Saturday's game? Thought he'd be smart? But like others said, the trap worked until Dallas adjusted.

So at that point, why not SIMPLY go back to guarding him straight-up???

Better Luka beats you than get bleeping bleeping embarrassed by wide open Powell dunks! Hopefully Vogel doesn't make blunder like this during the Playoffs.

In fact he did. We play zone and Mavs answered with 2 threes. He then changed to straight up and Luca fish Drummond in P&R.

People, it was all Luca.
Mamba Mentality
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:10 pm    Post subject:

quartzcharm wrote:
ocho wrote:

Good - he should be extended. Especially if he brings home the trophy again this season.

Yup
LakerLanny
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 5:07 pm    Post subject:

Lock him up, Uncle Frank is a keeper!
blackmamba08
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:26 pm    Post subject:

Give this man a cookie ( I mean new long term contract). He deserved it completely. No excuses for him, always focused on making team better.
KBandKB
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:55 pm    Post subject:

We’re coming to tHe point (fingers crossed) that we’ll have all our guys available. We’re going to have 13 playable guys in the roster and he’s gna have to figure out rotations. It’s a good problem to have.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 124, 125, 126 ... 222, 223, 224  Next
Page 125 of 224
Jump to: