Too many official/mega threads?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge Reply to topic
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laker_Town
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 1:22 am    Post subject:

LG is like the Tacoma/Tundra. It's reliable but has been way overdue for a makeover.

People have been asking for changes for a long time and I don't say it as complaints. I understand money and time factors in

I don't post much because of how crappy the experience is on my phone. I'll browse without logging in and typically only do it for a few threads like have recaps. Reliable like a Tacoma.
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Chronicle wrote:
Miss you

Miss you too bro
Don Draper
Retired Number
Retired Number

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Too many official/mega threads?

activeverb wrote:
Don Draper wrote:
One of the things that kept me coming back to LG even before I had an account was the unique threads. After every game you could bet on there being lively discussions in any number of threads on a variety of topics. Now, admittedly, this could get carried away and there was some trolling and a lot of duplication of ideas. However, I wonder if the site has gone too far towards the ideology of having all discussions collected in organized mega-threads. The past few years especially I find myself on LG less just because none of the threads ever really change, and it's hard to integrate into ongoing discussions.

Wondering if anyone else feels the same, or if this is a product of less site traffic, etc. But I really do miss the days of reaction threads, even when they could be over the top. Of course I could be the only one who feels this way, and if so, feel free to disregard.

I'd say the reality is "the unique threads" weren't all that unique. They were just slight variations on the same few basic themes that people talk about over and over.

All they did was provide an easier entry point for people who wanted to hop in whenever, talk about the topic for a bit, and move on their merry way.

I am not sure there is a better or worse approach. In the mega threads, stuff tends to get lost in the black holes. In the gadzillion of "unique threads," a handful of people talk about the topic before being pushed to oblivion by the next wave of "unique threads."

I don't think either approach really brings a better level of discussion.

Interesting take. That said, I don't think the level of discussion ever moves beyond a certain point in public forums like this, or Reddit etc. Anonymity and time constraints prevent deep discussion on the level you're referring to. For that you'd probably need to make a career out of basketball analysis and run in those circles full time, or at the very least find a more exclusive online community with posters you feel are as intellectually inclined as yourself. I mean, there are times when LG posters produce content that is deeply researched and promotes serious discussion (some have made careers out of it), but it'd be hard to expect that of most.

Which is why I'd argue that more unique threads is better than the mega thread approach, at least if one favors spontaneity and evolution, since while the takes might be same-y they're at least emergent in that they are responding to recent events (say a bad game or a good game or another development). With this approach you also get a better sense of poster personalities, and each season sort of gets its own flavor or historiography of threads that give it a unique flavor.

I do think "mega threads" have a place, but preferably for more narrow topics than they currently cover. IIRC they used to just cover stuff like free agency updates. I mean, as is currently constructed, you might have a guy like THT's entire career and potential universe of interesting and unique threads constrained to one 1,000 page behemoth that is difficult to navigate and (outwardly) has no character of its own. The threads are good for organizational purposes and for promoting a sense of order, but I feel they've gone a bit too far in assuming the average LG poster is part of the rabble with nothing to contribute but spam and merge-worthy threads.
safari_in_cali
Star Player
Star Player

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:07 pm    Post subject:

I couldn't agree more. I rarely visit LG these days because the top posts never change, and when I do, I go straight to Off Topic.
Post new topic    LakersGround.net Forum Index -> LA Lakers Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2
Jump to: